RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Election fallout - predictions? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Election fallout - predictions?
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just posted today on YouTube......this woman was grabbed, yelled at, 12 police officers called, handcuffed to a chair, and then her airplane ticket was ripped up and thrown away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGvsAgpfig

There are always two sides to every story, and I would be very interested in hearing if there is another side. (The audio/video link relates to a problem with TSA screening).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I think after all the huffing and puffing, Wisconsin will take the money and get the line built, perhaps scaling back a bit to reduce on going operating costs.

In Ohio, Mr. Kasisch seems more dogmatic about it and likely that money will go back to the feds. I'm sure NC and VA will happily accept some of it. Perhaps Mr. Kasisch, though, would permit some of the money to be used in a manner similar to NC where they secured, then restored stations on the route. Then, when they can better afford getting the line going, that capital expense will have been done. Meanwhile stations could be leased for other purposes.

Of course my not so hidden agenda is to get more trains into that architectural masterpiece, Cincinnati Union Terminal (and not some new box down by the river as has been proposed).

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Just posted today on YouTube......this woman was grabbed, yelled at, 12 police officers called, handcuffed to a chair, and then her airplane ticket was ripped up and thrown away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGvsAgpfig

There are always two sides to every story, and I would be very interested in hearing if there is another side. (The audio/video link relates to a problem with TSA screening).

You would think she could press charges against the TSA agent for theft and destruction of her property. She owned that ticket and the TSA agent had no right to destroy it. (If that had happened to me, I'd be in jail.)
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
GBN, I think after all the huffing and puffing, Wisconsin will take the money and get the line built..........In Ohio, Mr. Kasisch seems more dogmatic about it and likely that money will go back to the feds.

A very reasonable assessment, Mr. Palmland.

As I noted before, the culture to support Milw-Madison service (some Chi-Madison as well)....liberal....core downtown....1999 Volvo....is there. Also of note, we are addressing the upgrade of 85 miles of ROW to passenger train standards (FRA Class...whatever; I was gone from the industry before all that stuff was initiated).

By contrast within Ohio, we are addressing some 300 miles of ROW that while likely could support a passenger train at present, it is a heavily used "Corridor' by CSX (crucial to the Cleveland hub route structure of Conrail) and considerable funds would have to be expended in order to increase capacity to handle the proposed passenger trains.

While I can hardly claim any expertise in understanding the culture of Central Ohio, somehow I think it different than the academic culture of Madison (OK; think of Ohio State, and what do you think - FOOTBALL). All too many trips, it would simply be more convenient to hop in the ESYOUVEE for the trip that starts in, say, Dublin and has a destination of, say, Strongsville.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Details on FRA track classes and speed limits related to same on this page; includes signaling requirements. Apparently for 110 mph running, you need at least "Class 6" track, whose gauge limits are between 4' 8" at narrowest and 4' 9¼" at broadest, with maximum change of gauge within 31 feet no greater than a half-inch.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a posting from discussion at another site that enumerates the costs associated with upgrading an existing ROW that presently is "not exactly two sitcks of iron laying in the weeds and mud".

quote:
I'll take a stab at that. These are some very back of the envelope figures.

Replace 116 miles of Class 4 track on existing railbed, with Class 5 track. Hey, why not go for Class 6 track?
116 miles of new rail, and 100% new precast concrete railroad ties, $1.2 million per mile = $139 million

Second track is going to be more expensive, especially if existing railbed does not exist.
New track on new railbed, including earthwork, culverts, small bridges, environmental mitigation. I'll guess $2.1 million per mile = $244 million

CTC, PTC, cab signals, and new crossing gates = $40 million

One additional trainset to handle increased passenger demand = $20 million

Total without major bridges or station improvements = $443 million
Top speed = 110 mph

This also does not include changes to geometry to increase curve speeds.

Although I think my railroad career exposed me to many facets of the industry, Engineering was not one of such. Be sure to note that the author uses the phrase "back of the envelope' within the posting.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maine went to a Republican Governor. What's his position on passenger railroad service?

Inquiring minds, since people are dreaming dreams...

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less than $4 million a mile? ($443 million for 116 miles). That is a huge bargain.

Houston's toy train cost over $50 million a mile for a short 7 miles. And our drivers love to run into the train with their cars, on a weekly basis.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Maine went to a Republican Governor. What's his position on passenger railroad service?

Gov. LePage's nickname is "LeRage." He's a Tea Party type who sees global warming as a myth, wants to teach creationism in public schools, and claims residency in Maine AND Florida to save a few bucks on tuition down here for his kids. Sounds more like a nightmare than a dream to me.

Of more concern is that the entire Maine legislature went Republican for the first time in a long while.

Better sing the "disappearin' railroad blues" if you're in the Pine Tree state.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocala Mike, I thought your republican senators were fairly moderate and on occasion voted with the democrats. Were they both defeated or not running?

Nothing wrong with teaching creationism in public schools - along with other religious or philosophical views.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
palmland, I'm in Florida, not Maine, but I follow Maine politics some (my late mother's home state and I have many relatives there).

Maine's two Republican senators were not up for election this year and, yes, they are "moderates."
I was referring to the state house, i.e., the Maine Legislature, which is in the hands of the Republicans.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Ocala Mike, is there a reason why you are being intentionally deceptive about Gov LePage?

He is skeptical of MAN-MADE global warming, not global warming itself. And man-made global warming IS a myth. There is absolutely no proof that man has caused any amount of global warming.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Not being deceptive, intentionally or not. The crux of palmland's concerns is whether this guy is gonna be "rail-friendly". Obviously, we have to wait and see, but I'd be inclined to doubt it. He has stated in the past that "global warming" (without the man-made modifier) is a "scam" foisted off on the world by "global government" types, a favorite right-wing talking point.

Anyway, you can read more about him here in an Augusta, ME newspaper article.

http://www.kjonline.com/news/environmentalistsawait-lepagewith-wariness_2010-11-07.html

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I liked the comments after your article. Some people in Maine "get the scam".
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a scam created by the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), a purpose-concocted department of the United Nations. The only reason for the IPCC's existence is the big attempt at instituting a "Tobin Tax". Being unscientific by totally excluding the effect of water vapor on ambient temperatures, and then using carbon dioxide as their "baseline"? One may as well declare the coelacanth extinct once more even though it isn't.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Sorry, I meant to say PullmanCo's concerns, not palmland's. In any case, the bottom line is we now know a lot more about Gov. LePage's stance on global warming but know very little about his attitudes on rail transport in his state. Stay tuned.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
More election fallout - Wisconsin's loss may be Illinois' gain:

http://www.galesburg.com/newsnow/x298221417/Quinn-woos-rail-car-maker

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Brief passage from the material submitted by Mike:

• GALESBURG — Could a Spanish rail car manufacturer ditch Wisconsin and relocate its plant to Illinois?

Gov. Pat Quinn hopes so and his administration hasn’t been shy about wooing Talgo Inc. to make Illinois its new home.

The [Wisconsin HSR] debacle has triggered uncertainty about Talgo’s future in Wisconsin, sparking Illinois’ interest in getting Talgo and a bigger piece of the stimulus pie.

“We’re in the preliminary process of just introducing our state to (Talgo),” said Mike Murray, a policy adviser for the Quinn administration.

Quinn has been promoting Illinois as a place for rail manufacturers with a well-qualified labor force with “several locations throughout the state that would probably be attractive” for the company, Murray said.

Quinn’s administration “stands ready to do whatever it can to make Illinois your new Midwestern home,” the governor wrote.

Talgo spokeswoman Nora Friend told The Associated Press she was grateful that Quinn reached out. If Wisconsin doesn’t change its mind, she said, Talgo would remain in Milwaukee “no longer than spring 2012,” when the company is scheduled to deliver two sets of trains to Oregon.
Let's hope nothing comes to pass on this one; for if it does, then Illinois, if the HSR initiative is for real, would be obligated to buy this quite unsuitable equipment for Midwest service.
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, here's the short version:

Before any advocate of passenger rail starts dreaming about what can be done with the turned back money,...

He or she had best know what the local Governor/legislature will do. It's nice to dream dreams, but if passenger rail is off the radar (or is being jammed), then that money is going to go elsewhere.

Further, the last I checked, the man at 1600 Penn is D. The Senate is D. There are still D states out there. I think the largesse will move within those D states.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Even though the "Obama Seat" is now in Republican hand's, the new occupant, Mark Kirk, is presently a Member of Congress (R-IL10).

A look at the linked map will show that there is plenty of Amtrak and METRA service through the District; even the 'Gerrymander Tail" seems to follow the UP Northwest Line.

When mass transit issues are on the table, party lines get blurred in the caucus.

True, Senator Kirk must be responsive to interests throughout the State, but his base remains in a mass transit conscious region.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got that right, Mr. Norman! Secretary LaHood will, I expect, direct us (I work for USDOT) to take back the money and reprogram it.

That's how things work. The governors of Ohio and Wisconsin are entirely free to give back the money. They are NOT entitled to re-program it.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Politifact's Truth-o-Meter (tm) has weighed in:

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2010/nov/15/sierra-club/sierra-club-says-killing-high-speed-rail-project-w/

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be retiring to N Lower Michigan in a few years, so by 2015, I expect to see the Pere Marquette extended north as far as there are still tracks (at least Cadillac?), or an extension of the Wolverine Service from Pontiac, MI further north again, as far as there are still tracks available!

(Hah! Just kidding!! We can still dream, can't we?)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why limit it to available tracks? Bring back the ferry service across the Strait of Mackinac and run through service from Chicago and Detroit to the Soo, just like before WWI!

(Oh...you expect me to PAY for my flights of fancy? Uh...uh...uh, oh!)

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Furthermore, bring back the Chippewa Hiawatha from Chicago (my winter home) to Ontonagon, Michigan (my summer home) by way of Milwaukee and Green Bay.

It better be done fast, because the Escanaba & Lake Superior (owner of the old MILW line north of Green Bay) is going to abandon the rails between Sidnaw, Michigan, and Ontonagon.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page