RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » We Made It Home

Author Topic: We Made It Home
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Returned from our trip yesterday. Left town on the Starlight to SEA on 9/21 and back on the Surfliner from SAN on 12/2.

In the interim the new eateries in LA Union Station are open and look nice. The Surfliner itself was on time. We took Business Class and had our coffee and Danish, then offered soft drink or wine and of course, the ubiquitous snack packs.

Upon arrival at LAX the staff were very vigilant about seeking those who needed a Red Cap and it was thus arranged. We were taken to Baggage Claim where we met our friends and picked up our two bags, ready immediately. The Red Cap then inquired as to where the car was located. My friend said he was in the MTA lot and would bring the car around to the front for us. The Red Cap said he would take us to the car in the lot with the bags, etc. which he did, right to the trunk for loading.

In other words, service at LAX was exceptional.

The trip itself was fantastic, I would call it a life changing experience. Seeing the modern Japan and China, the struggling Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, the incredible Hong Kong and Singapore and fantastic Australia. What different worlds!

Had opportunities to ride the fabulous Bullet Train and the MagLev at equally fabulous prices. So we did not. Those who did enjoyed the experience.

Already have a Canal trip in April booked and added a Trans-Atlantic round trip FTL to the western Mediterranean for next October. Looked at getting to FTL by train, takes four full days. May consider the big bird but the thought sickens me.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You trip sounds simply fantastic, Miss Vicki! And your upcoming trips great too.

Interesting that you are offered so much going 1st class on Pacific Surfliner; on 1st class trips I've made (other than ACELA, which I tried first-class just once), there is only a free beverage or two (and wine is not in the offing), plus newspapers.

I suppose you could not work it to go through the Canal one-way (on one of those repositioning trips) to Fort Lauderdale and then switch cruises to go on to the Medterranean and back! (then returning on the train). But maybe you can take a little extra time and break up your cross-country train trip to FtL both ways, for example, stopping in Kansas City one way and Chicago or Baltimore/Washington DC the other!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Miss Vickie and Mr. Art; where do you get the energy for all these trips?

I've taken nine trips during 2010 (five auto; two air; two Amtrak) comprising 23 nights (one 6 nites; two 4; three 2; three 1) away from home, and be assured, that's quite enough for me.

Oh well, lest one think I'm the lone homebody, I know one fellow, perfectly comfortable $$$-wise, who travels each year at Thanx from Michigan City IN to his Mother in Danville IL (110 miles). To my best knowledge (his wife has maybe one business trip a year), "that's it".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome home! When is the next trip to SBA so we can hear about the cruise in detail?

Frank in rainy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great cruise. Is there a forum like this for cruises? Would love to read about some of the highlights. Armchair traveling is a distant second to being there but still fun.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try www.cruisecritic.com . It's a great resource with reviews, boards for specific upcoming cruises, etc. I've posted several reviews of our cruises there.

Frank in even rainier SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Frank, I've seen the reviews but I find the give and take of a forum more interesting. But I guess into today's world that sort of discussion is now being done more on social networking sites like Facebook. Some predict the demise of emails (and maybe forums?) as a result. But personally I'm not a big fan of it.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
When we first started cruising the "Roll Calls" were a great source of very practical information. That's where we found out about renting Tuxedos on board, "Wine Cards" on HAL, etc. We have also made some great friends through the boards and have cruised more than once with several.

I may be getting (another) new hip soon but you can be sure there will be more cruises -- and train rides -- coming up in 2011!

Frank in clear and cool SBA

20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that was quite a trip! I'm envious. But very happy that you had such an enjoyable experience.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I copy 20th Century's comments exactly! My niece is studying in Singapore and traveling to the surrounding countries - she recently posted pictures of a Vietnam museum exhibit,and it was interesting to see their take on the Vietnam War.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:

Had opportunities to ride the fabulous Bullet Train and the MagLev at equally fabulous prices.

Would that have been the Shanghai Maglev, Vicki? I can't think of any other in the world running in revenue service now.

I missed being able to ride the Shang magnetic train by 2 days; when I went there to ride it, its public opening hadn't happened yet. I got to see it starting and stopping there at the Pudong stop; pretty impressive for an old-school railroader.

Which Bullets did you ride, the Japanese ones?

Amazing trip-- I will surely second that! Asian travel has its own particular stresses, strains, and...rewards!

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't ride either but was tempted. Yes it was the Shanghai maglev that was available. And indeed it was a very enlightening trip.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome home, guys. I've been away from Railforum for about a week, so I'm just now starting to get caught up on stuff.

I have never seen the slums in other countries like you have, but the closest I have come (strangely enough) is by watching the TV show, "The Amazing Race". I've watched every season since the beginning, and I think they are in their 17th season now. I already knew this before the show, but it just confirms for me how great America is and how lucky we are to live here. That's probably part of the reason why I'm so passionate when I see/hear about people trashing this country, because I know it can always be worse....much worse.

I have the itch to travel, but can't figure out where to go. I don't have unlimited funds, but I do want to go someplace that is out of the USA where I can experience a lot in one trip. I've considered Hong Kong, Japan, Dubai, Germany, Macau, and a cruise. (I've been to London and Paris, and I really have no desire to return to either one). The reason I put Germany into my wish list is because I am part German, and I would also LOVE to see MINIATUR WUNDERLAND in Hamburg. I can't believe how precisely detailed everything is. They are putting in an airport now, and it is just mind-boggling.

Frank, that's for the Cruise Critic web page info. I'll look into that as well. I need to put together a trip, but fortunately I'm not in a hurry. I've got foot surgery on January 26th and can't do anything for 4 to 6 weeks after that, so I will have plenty of time to look into something!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

I checked out Miniatur Wunderland online and it is pretty amazing. I found one website showing the airport development. It features a very realistic A380 taking off and landing.

Good luck on the foot surgery. I am getting a new hip on 8 February and will spend the recovery time planning a couple of cruises and the best way to burn my Guest Rewards points (I have about 65,000.)

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page