RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What is this device?

Author Topic: What is this device?
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to figure out what is on the lead truck; anyone know?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewqueued.php?id=901916

Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this message:
"This queued images does not appear to belong to you, and thus, cannot be viewed."

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me see what I can do
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got that same message, but I'm willing to look at it
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submitted the photo to railpictures.net but it hasn't be posted yet. That's probably why the link doesn't work. I'll correct the link once the pictures up unless there's a way I can just put the picture in a message here
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a way, but I have never tried it, as like you I have pictures I could post.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we can't see your photo yet, I'm taking a wild guess here...lets see how well my psychic abilities are working.

Are you wondering about an Automatic Train Stop (ATS) shoe? Looks like this:

-

If it is, then these are used by Amtrak on former Santa Fe routes. Currently only in use on the Southwest Chief and Pacific Surfliner. It's a form of train control that allows running above 79mph. Why the Chief and Surfliner can go 90mph.

More can be found here:
Automatic Train Stop

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Ha! Heck of a guess and you're spot on. Thank you!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a message saying "No image matches that ID number."
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At locations where speed in excess of 79 mph is allowed these devices attached to the locomotive will periodically interface (run over) another device that is fixed into the track structure. This fixed track device is an ATS (automatic train stop) inductor and when the interface is made a signal is activated in the locomotive cab which the engineer must acknowledge. If he, or she, does not acknowledge the signal within a specified time the trains brakes will be activated because it is assumed that the engineer is incapcitated. Thus there is an automatic train stopage.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had heard that the Southwest Chief no longer does 90 MPH because BNSF decided not to maintain the track to those standards? Doesn't it have something to do with BNSF pretty much abandoning the main line that 3/4 uses in the 90 MPH territories because they moved their trains to a different main line? I thought that the agreement was that BNSF would maintain those tracks to 79MPH running, but 90 with ATS. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
I thought I had heard that the Southwest Chief no longer does 90 MPH because BNSF decided not to maintain the track to those standards? Doesn't it have something to do with BNSF pretty much abandoning the main line that 3/4 uses in the 90 MPH territories because they moved their trains to a different main line? I thought that the agreement was that BNSF would maintain those tracks to 79MPH running, but 90 with ATS. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

The speed reduction is mostly on the Raton line. ATS is still in effect on the BNSF transcon in several locations (Daggett, Crookton Cutoff, Gallup, Winslow, etc...).

I still see ATS trackside inductors all along the line when driving on interstate 40. Even after the searchlight signals have been replaced. I might be crazy, but the ATS inductors next to the newer tri-light signals also look to be new since they are very shiny. A spot where you can clearly see them from the interstate is at Pisgah.

However I have not been able to deny nor confirm if the ATS sections on Raton are no longer there, still there but non operating, or still active.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smitty195, BNSF no longer runs its trains between La Junta and Lamy and therefore have offered AMTRAK the option of assuming maintenance on this segment or running trains 3 and 4 on the TRANSCON through Wichita, Amarillo and Belen. Thus far AMTRAK has said they will pay the maintenance costs south from La Junta.

Additionally BNSF has informed AMTRAK that some segments of its line west from Newton to La Junta needs upgrading (new rail & more) to support AMTRAK operations above 60 MPH, while it is OK for BNSF freight operations which do not require many trains or significant speed. If AMTRAK wishes to regain permission to operate above 60 MPH they must pay for the upgrade. Again BNSF has suggested that 3 and 4 operate on the Transcon in lieu of the line throught La Junta and Raton.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This discussion again gives rise to the 'who's leaning on Amtrak" to maintain - and this apparently now means a literal maintain - the route over Raton Pass.

As Mr. China immediately notes, it appears that BNSF management is being a troupe of Cirque du Soleil contortionists to accommodate 3-4, Southwest Chief, over their "Transcon' line. However, Amtrak is prepared to accept the costs of maintaining Albuquerque-La Junta and may be looking at additional costs if they desire to operate Newton-La Junta at passenger train speed.

As anyone who follows my material knows, I hardly consider those inhabiting 60 Mass to be (so long as we're talkin' showbiz here) a troupe of clowns. I sincerely believe they are conducting Amtrak operations in the most economic and efficient manner possible within the 'fishbowl' of a politically responsive government agency.

So who is leaning on them? Scouts (Raton), Albuquerque (likely lose train service; replaced with an Ambus Belen connection), environmentalists (invent a reason for them, someone)?

Enquiring mind wants to know.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
It should be noted that the State of New Mexico now owns the track from Lamy through Albuquerque to Belen, not BNSF.

NM was going to buy the track from Trinidad through Raton Pass to Lamy but had to withdraw I presume because of financial constraints.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page