RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » amtrak autotrain (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: amtrak autotrain
navybanker
Member # 16430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for navybanker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
About a week before I finished graduate school I was chatting with an undergraduate student on the bus and she mentioned this new thing she had learned about in the computer lab....

She said "It's called email and I think it might really catch on....."

That was the first I had ever heard of email and sites such as this were beyond my imagination at that point....

And that was not that long ago..... not quite 17 years actually. There have been so many changes since. Lot's of changes just since I discovered RailForum 7 years ago this month.

In 1982 Manufacturers Hanover Trust Company in New York introduced "Comet" - utilizing Local Area Networks to link the basic computer terminals on our desks which had been previously only used to access computerized avvount records - it was cumbersome to access, but it was possible to enter messages addressed to other in-bank users -- I hated it, was convinced it would never take off, and only very reluctantly started using it --- it's been downhill ever since.
Posts: 24 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Marriott Courtyard Vanderbilt U Nashville--

Two thirds of the way home.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a time in my life where I owned season tickets for the Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball team!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Tied up" as of 430P CT Sat Feb 26 after a 20min "delay" to shovel 1" of that "Blanc" stuff off the drive.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome home Gil. Please tell me that the weather will change radically in the next month. It is little more than that until our visit. Same for Boston TBlack.

I don't do cold weather well.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
83 degrees here today. The only thing I have to shovel comes from the "exhaust" of my horses. Sorry, Vicki!
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is not that hot here but it is sure a lot warmer than CHI, BOS, etc.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome home, GBN.

80 degrees today in SC. We talked with relatives in AZ today and it was in the 40's. This time of year anything is possible.

Headed to baseball in FL next week.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
GBN, some of us don't care to go to Florida at all

Mr. Kisor, even though I have been to Florida more times in this life than I can count (but have never set foot on the Upper Peninsula), I am still of the "no earlier than Thanx nor later than Easter (forget THIS year's Easter, which is as late as I ever recall)" gang.

There was one exception however; this was a response to a family emergency during August 1998. What I shall not forget was the blast of torrid, humid air walking the 'jet-way" at KFLL (also from parking lot to hospital and v.v - and 'crawling little friends" about the hotel grounds - as well as one that sneaked into my room through the A/C unit). It was even worse than that I felt arriving at VVTS (look that one up yourself: hint, the IATA for same is SGN) during July '67.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Saigon..... and that's an educated guess made without looking anything up.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Having just been there I agree. Hot and humid is an understatement.

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was one country we sadly didn't get time to see during our whirlwind honeymoon tour of SE Asia. I fully intend to resolve that in the future. Several trains to ride there!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I landed at Kimpo in S. Korea, August, 1966. Very hot and humid there as well (and fragrant!).

Rode trains behind steam in Korea, 1966-1967. By far the best way to travel in a country that size then, and probably still is now.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
navybanker
Member # 16430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for navybanker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
March 24 Auto-Train trip was a pleasant surprise.
On arriving at Lorton we were advised that, because incoming northbound had been delayed two hours due to heavy smoke from brush fires, boarding would be delayed at least an hour. The informative quality and frequency of announcement updates were models of customer service. While boarding started about 45 minutes late, it was completed efficiently (165 cars and about 350 passengers), with the result that the train departed at 3:45 rather than 4:00 PM. Sleeping car attendant (Chris) was helpful and informative, dining car attendants were also friendly and efficient. The dinner (beef filets) was surprisingly good, and the ulimited wine (proudly identified as Virginian) was of high quality. The ride was even and steady; what railroad noise there was acted more as lullaby than annoyance. I would have appreciated the thicker masttresses I recall from Pullman equipment up until 1960's, but the bunks were fairly comfortable., The only problem was rattling of door to shower/toilet - which was fixed by wedging a wash cloth in while closing it, which eliminated the noise. After a good continental breakfast, we arrived Stanford precisely at 9:00 AM, and were in our car and underway at about 9:35. Overall, the trip was comfortble, refreshingly well-managed and a real value. Probably being a southbound run this time of year made it less crowded -- I am virtually certain to repeat in 2012. Overall, the operation was well run from beginning to end.

Posts: 24 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your very positive summary of your Auto-Train trip. It encourages me to travel on it. It's always nice to hear when someone enjoys a train trip.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear your trip was so enjoyable. How was the new station in Sanford?
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
navybanker
Member # 16430

Rate Member
The Sanford station is roomy and well laid-out; very similar in design and appearance to the Lorton station: news stand, snack bar, information and ticket desk. They have a very efficient multiple lane system for picking up your car as your number is called, so there is no delay if one or two owners are slow to claim their cars
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the positive report. Did you sample the lounge car? Was it a Sightseer or a diner acting as lounge-as has been the norm on AT.

I wonder if there is a market, at least during the busy seasons, for a second section of the train with maybe a 8PM departure. Although I suspect Amtrak doesn't have track capacity in Lorton for additional train set -assuming they could round up enough cars.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Mr. Palmland's immediate, it would appear that he would prefer to have 330XX Sightseer Lounges regularly assigned to the Auto Train rather than the 3310X "diner acting as a lounge".

The six Lounges that were converted from 380XX Diners are configured Tables, Snack Bar, Lounge Banquettes and Settees on the Upper Level. On the Lower, there is Smoking Lounge (for which I give an A-/B+ for keeping me and the foul fog separated), a deactivated phone booth, and additional Lounge Settees. There are two cars assigned to each set with one in the Coach and the other in the Sleeper sections of the consist. The car in the Sleeper section is placed Tables forward and hence adjacent to the Diner. On peak journeys, those tables are used for Diner seating. Although I normally do not use the Lounge car on any train (hey I'm paying heap big wampum for my privacy; use it), I guess an exception is the "comp' wine tasting offered on AT.

Any reader here knows my thoughts (...if you've seen one Pine Tree...) regarding the route's scenery, and I think Amtrak was wise to reassign Sightseers away from the AT and rebuild surplus Diners (lest we forget, just as the S-II's were being delivered, the Mercer Cuts whacked the Pioneer and Desert Wind) to Lounges.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
GBN - sounds like they've done a nice job on the lounges, but yes, I'd still rather see a sightseer.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
GBN, you should be on Facebook . . .

I was; for about three weeks. I guess you could say my curiosity was aroused enough to 'find out what it is all about"; what with this movie and upcoming IPO.

On March 11, I set up an account complete with photo and a reasonably full profile. I amassed fifteen "friends" all of who I knew personally. However, with the collection of mindless tweet like "status updates' and considering the care that I take when posting here, I was soon wondering 'what's here for me"?

On April 3, I requested that the account be deleted.

navybanker
Member # 16430

Rate Member
GBN - I share your views as to the non-necessity of Sightseers on the Auto-train route and the inanity of Facebook:
The Tidewater region of Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia as well as the Florida flatlands require no great vista-watching equipment; and after a monthlong sampling of the blogging and twittering I dropped Facebook.

Palmland - Good thought about a second section, although a departure later than 8PM might generate better demand.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Voyage #20 will be aboard #52(29).

Space assigned is C/5240. Fare? well, I'm like Willard and his Tax Returns.

Oh well, it looks like I am committed to a trip report.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Holiday Inn West; Akron OH--

Voyage 20 is now complete; more to follow.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page