RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Our trip starts Saturday (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Our trip starts Saturday
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We board the SWC in LA Saturday and head to Chicago and Boston. Had to change from our planned Zephyr trip as the snow in Donnor Pass is messing it all up.

Will see GBN and TBlack. Will send reports as we go.

Advice - our hotel in NYC is the Herald Square, 31st and Broadway. Seems to me we could walk from NYP with our wheeled luggage, barring dreadful weather. Any opinions?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you see a Superliner sleeper on a siding east of Dodge City, that was mine (broke down last Wednesday).
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can walk the distance. It isn't that bad. It is about two long blocks, and that is about it. The weather can be anything. I would expect the fifties. You should be able to do it.

I recommended that you eat in Juniors in Grand Central Terminal, Carnegie Delly on 7th and 54.
I also recommend you see Million Dollar Quartet.

I'm a New York Expert

Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Amtrak92. The Carnegie Deli was already recommended to us by a NY native so we plan to head there after we check in to our hotel. Should be a nice walk, again weather dependent.

I'm not much for cold weather, 50s is cold for me. But mostly I hope it doesn't rain.

Any clues on what exit to look for at NYP? Obviously we want to come out the SW end somehow.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would come out on the 7th avenue side and 33rd st. exit, which will be closest to your hotel. But for a cheaper cab ride, come out on 32nd st. or any even one. It probably will rain, as New York it rains a lot. But you may get lucky. If you want a taste of music and food go to Stardust, which is by the Winter Garden theater, and shaped like a subway car.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
So a cab will take us two blocks?

--------------------

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
The cab is required to take you anywhere in the five borrows if you hail one. No matter how short.
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki,
I used to be a cab driver, and I can tell you that the short rides are the most profitable, so don't be hesitant. You really should take the cab; the walk is maybe 1/2 mile? (NYC is a big place, not like our friendly Boston!) 7th Ave. exit has a cab stand with a long line, but it moves fast, not to worry!

In Penn Station, when you come up the escalator from the platform, and you face the arrival/departure board, 7th Ave. exit is to your left; just keep walking till you get to the next escalators. You'll be fine! Can't wait to see you and Art. Nandy is preparing a feast!

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the itinerary out and will be following along! Have a safe trip and Bon Voyage!

Frank in still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a fantastic time,Vicki. Please post reports whenever you can. Both of you just stay well,relax and enjoy!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Enjoy the trip. I agree with TBlack the small runs are profitable, as there are more of them in a day. Enjoy the trip.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie, I await you and Mr. Art Mon Apr 4, even though CUS to Miller's (0.6mi) is well within my personal walking range as it is Mr. Black's (I've even done CUS to Navy Pier, so it was "no biggie', Mr. SilverStar, to walk up to River North for our meet-up), we will use taxicabs.

If Mr. Art must see each slam dunk of the NCAA final, Miller's has plenty of TV's about the premises.

Regarding New York, remember the E-W blocks are long...LONG. According to Mr. Google, Penn Sta to Herald Sq Hotel is (edit to correct) 0.5mi on foot; 0.8mi by auto. Even though I'd personally walk it carrying my bag ("if you can't CARRY it, don't bring it" is my motto), if you need a taxicab, get one and have no qualms about the short trip. They're required to carry you.

Finally, as of a few moments ago, the Tuesday Apr 5 New York forecast calls for High Temp of 54dg and 40% chance of percipitation.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Will we find you at or outside the lounge at CUS? I plan to have a redcap take our stuff in to store until we are able to board the LSL.

And the LSL seems to be train all the way now, using some type of detour route.

Cab sounds good. Too cold in Chicago for us even though Art is from North Dakota. He has become a California guy.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak is pretty good about keeping the unwashed masses out of the Met Lounge; it is kind of like a Women's dorm "back in my day' when callers, i.e. "Gentlemen Callers", would come to the front desk and the called party would then be paged.

If #4(2) is "more or less" on time, I'll take BNSF 1268 arriving CUS 342P.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a wonderful trip to the east coast. And yes, stop at Junior's in Grand Central (lower level food court). Their cheese cake is delicious.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this trip involve a cruise?

Two things:

1) "The Hill" (the Sierra) is open and operating normally. You're not gonna believe this, but last week we had freezing rain and hail (with lots of snow and rain to go along with it). Today it hit 84 in Pleasanton, and it will hit 90 in some parts of the Bay Area tomorrow (Thursday). Unfortunately when this happens, it triggers something weird with the pollen and I did not have an asthma inhaler that was good (both were expired). I was already calling 911 when I was going through my bathroom cabinet and drawers in a panic, and I found an Albuterol inhaler that was 3 years old--IT WORKED. Whew.........Anyone who has ever experienced this scare knows what I went through. I thought I might be checking out 2 days ago, but thanks to my Guardian Angel, I'm still here.

2) Will you be in NYC long enough to catch a show? If so, "Billy Elliott" is supposed to be out of this world amazing!

As a side-note, the southbound Coast Starlight did a detour today and they came through Pleasanton. I was out there with my video camera, probably looking like your typical foamer with people wondering why I'm recording a train. We have ACE commuter trains that run through town, and I doubt most people knew the difference between the commuter train and the long-distance train (that also had a PV, "Silver Lariat", on the rear).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Smitty, of course it involves a cruise. How else would one get back from Florida. 19 day cruise on the Zuiderdam, Fort Lauderdale to Long Beach.

Sorry to hear about your asthma problem. My husband, Mr. Art, has chronic lung disease and uses albuteral and two daily inhalers. Expensive buggers too!

Probably no show in NYC - will meet friends from the last cruise who live in Greenwich Village one evening.

I am still leary of "The Hill". Would not care to meet an avalanche. I'm glad we switched to the Chief.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, at least the Metropolitan Lounge at CUS does not have a "one foot on the floor at all times" rule.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

Are the steamer trunks packed [Big Grin]

We will be following your progress and know that you will have a fantastic time!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Smitty--

I always carry Albuterol as my backup. Luckily I've not had to use it in quite awhile.

Frank in still sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Well if you do go to a show. If you want Interactive go to Spiderman Turn of The Dark. It's so interactive you need to make sure you aren't hit. Have a great trip
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great rail trip and a fabulous cruise. The Panama Canal cruise is on my "To Do" list.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
According to Mr. Google, Penn Sta to Herald Sq Hotel is .05mi on foot; .08mi by auto.

That would be about 88 yards for the former - the length of four passenger cars roughly. I suspect you mean 0.5mi and 0.8mi respectively.

(A "gas" station near me sold unleaded for £0.129 a liter yesterday at the self serve pumps. Sadly they fixed it back to £1.29 when they wondered why they were suddenly so popular).

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Noted, Mr. Mayo

Original posting corrected and noted within.

Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amtrak92:
Well if you do go to a show. If you want Interactive go to Spiderman Turn of The Dark. It's so interactive you need to make sure you aren't hit. Have a great trip

If you're a little bit irreverent, maybe you'd try to catch "Book of Mormon", by the creators of "South Park".

A unique attraction is now at the Discovery Museum at Times Square; Body castings from Pompeii. I want to catch that one myself.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears Miss Vickie and Mr. Art are "more or less" on time. As of a few moments ago, #4 (2) is reported 27 ML @ WLO.

Regarding Broadway shows, if I had the opportunity to do one and one only, I'd make it "Mama Mia'; guaranteed not to offend anyone!!!

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't our esteemed Mr. Kisor at WLO/LaPosada this weekend? Wonder if they will have a quick meet and greet.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
That would have to be quick. We didn't stop long. Just left Gallup and lost an hour. Will do a report once we get to Chicago.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Ah, but early into ABQ.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't left yet. We'll be at La Posada later this week. But first there'll be a stop at the Depot Inn & Suites in La Plata.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to hear how everything goes, Miss Vicki!!!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank and Vicki...I think I'm going to have to specifically request Albuterol by brand name. Is that what you do? The inhaler that did not work was generic Albuterol, and the expired one that did work (and probably saved my life) was brand name albuterol (although I'm drawing a blank on the brand name at the moment). I've noticed that the one that failed me, even though both were expired, is the new "green/earth friendly" inhaler that has a different type of propellant. It barely pumps out any mist, whereas my old one pumped out what I'm used to my whole life----a nice, powerful blast of mist to get into my lungs more efficiently.

This worries me, so I'm wondering what you do if you don't mind my asking. That was a feeling I never wish to experience again.

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip so far, Vicki. How nice that you get to take so many train trips and cruises!

(Ah! Just thought of the brand name that I've been using for years: Proventil. For whatever reason, last time, I got the generic version and I don't like it!)

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well it looks like Murphy's Law took hold to Miss Vickie's and Mr. Art's #4 (2) somewhere ascending "The Rat'.

According to Train Status, #4 (2) departed LMY 2 ML, but arrived RAT 151 ML. As of a few moments ago it is expected TOP 116 ML.

Obviously, their planned connection to 48 (4) is hardly in jeopardy nor is our planned Dinner together. I'll just adjust my arrival at CUS this afternoon accordingly.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
A "gas" station near me sold unleaded for £0.129 a liter yesterday at the self serve pumps. Sadly they fixed it back to £1.29 when they wondered why they were suddenly so popular).
Off topic (not that anyone around here seems to worry)--

£1.29 a lit? That sounds like about US$8.00 a gallon.

And some like the news media think we "got it bad' @ $4.039/USga (that's what I paid on Mar 31).

Of course, "over here" that error would not have gone unnoticed for long as all gas stations (anywhere to my knowledge) are required to have an attendant on duty; not so as I recall in the UK.

No wonder BR (I can't keep track of the successors) fares seem sky high to me. If the "Midland Pullman" were still around (that was "quite the ride" during 1986), I'd hate to think what its fare would be today (make the Acela look like a Chinatown Bus?).

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Reason for the delay will be in my report but blame it on #3, wind and wildfire; trying to catch up a bit now.

Smitty, Art found generic albuterol no longer available. He gets the Proventil ones now.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Looks like #4 (2) is "holding its own". As of a few moments ago, it is expected at Mecca (whoops LAP) 74ML.

Guess I'll take BNSF 1270 (arr CUS 442P) instead of 1268, but who knows; if I see him "whittling it down", it will be 1268 after all.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
£1.29 a lit? That sounds like about US$8.00 a gallon.

That's about right (depending on which type of gallon you use). Very expensive.

quote:
Of course, "over here" that error would not have gone unnoticed for long as all gas stations (anywhere to my knowledge) are required to have an attendant on duty; not so as I recall in the UK.

It was manned: some dunce programmed the pay-at-pump pumps incorrectly (decimal in the wrong place). It was only when large lines started forming that somebody thought to check the price - and quickly corrected it. The remainder of the pumps are paid for in the kiosk. No idea if a station can be left unmanned, but the pay-at-pump is certainly quicker and easier than paying inside.

quote:
No wonder BR (I can't keep track of the successors) fares seem sky high to me. If the "Midland Pullman" were still around (that was "quite the ride" during 1986), I'd hate to think what its fare would be today (make the Acela look like a Chinatown Bus?).

Swindon to London (75 miles) with an "Anytime" ticket (read: rush hour) is £130 round trip. Buy an "Advance" and you can pay as little as £5 each way but you have to be on your nominated train. "Off peak" (any off-peak train) is about £40 round trip if I remember correctly.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well Mr. Mayo, you've been over here, and I'm certain that you'll agree a position of Self-Service Station Attendant does "not exactly' attract the best and the brightest.

The UK unattended station I can recall was somewhere near Lymington. Hampshire.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears that #4(2) continues to "hold its own" as Train Status reports departing FMD 87ML.

Guess I'll take the originally planned BNSF 1268 after all.

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Enjoy their company. Any good railfaning spots in Chicago. Thinking about that for next year
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page