RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief Report

Author Topic: Southwest Chief Report
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southwest Chief #4 4/2/11

LAX has lots of food choices now. Starbuck's, Wetzels Pretzels, Subway. Two redcaps working and very busy. 

The Chief left right on time. Car 431 bedroom B for us with Joan as our attendant. The older car set up with exploding faucet in the sink and brown corroded walls. 

Dinner reservations are now done on the train instead of in the station. 8:00 pm was the earliest for us by the time CJ (Casey), the dining car boss, got to us. Service began at 7:15.

Had the New York Steak for our fashionably late dinner. Flavorful but a little chewy. Carrot cake good but as close to frozen as possible without actual ice crystals.  CJ waited on us. He is a fairly new employee, young, a little ditsy but very pleasant. Ate with a nice couple from San Diego on their first LD train trip. Her lung disease precludes flying. They love it so far.

Had my usual night of no sleep although I believe I missed Williams. Makes me wonder why I ride trains. These tracks are rough. My GPS confirms 90 miles an hour. And sometimes the freights going the other way blast their horn. Enough to make one jump out of their skin.

Breakfast seved by Linda Small, very friendly lady. So-so omelet but good yogurt. Early arrival in ABQ allowed a nice walk outside. Lovely station, plenty of Indian jewelry. Altitude takes a lot out of us sea level folks.

I can see our consist: two engines, two sleepers plus transdorm, three coaches. Pretty big dust storm out of ABQ. Burger for lunch. Found out they discontinued the hot dogs my "child" husband liked. Also changed salad dressing brand to Newman's Own. The blue cheese and ranch have to be refridgerated so they must ask and deliver those.  

We then waited about an hour outside Las Vegas for the #3 which was slowed by wind advisories which we will now be subject to. Looks like the #3 is three hours behind. Screwed up our whole schedule too. Then had to wait while BNSF examined the tracks due to a wild fire. Result is two hours behind.

Chicken dinner was just ok. Ate with seasoned travelers. The top bunk broke making it unstable so we shared the bottom. Cozy to say the least. Snowing in La Junta but cleared as we crossed Kansas which takes forever. Breakfast with an Amish dad and daughter who live in Kansas City. Well seasoned rail travelers to say the least.

Interesting lady conductor picked up in KC. Has a sense of humor to help address those worried about connections. Says the #3 hit a tree yesterday with engine damage. Split a final lunch sandwich with Art. 

Overall the staff were excellent. The friendliest and happiest dining crew I have ever met. Good info from the conductors, excellent care by Joan. Rooms a bit worn as usual but pretty clean. Food at least ok and they didn't run out of everything.

Arrived in CHI about 1 1/2 hours late. Stored our bags and met Gil Norman. Had a great dinner at Miller's Pub and back to the Metropolitan Lounge. Using the wifi to post this online. 

On to the Lake Shore Limited.           Â

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great report, Vicki. You have lots of folks "following" you across the country! I hope I can do as good a job in May with the Cascades and Starlight.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great meet-up Miss Vickie and Mr. Art; Mr. Black, "they're yours".
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear all is going well for the most part.

I also can no longer sleep on trains. I used to be able to, and it was the best sleep I'd ever have. But these days, forget it...I may doze off every now and then, but I never actually sleep through the night. I don't know why that changed. Age?

I do have to say "bummer" about the Superliner I, non-refurb car that you got. For me, it's hard to believe that they are still running them in a non-refurb format because here I am at 45 years old, and I rode in those same sleepers when I was in high school. I know how many years of grime there is in those cars, and it's pretty disgusting. I don't dare take a shower in the deluxe bedroom showers in a non-refurb S-1. It grosses me out just to think about it.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, on my December trip to Phoenix, I could not sleep because the mattresses were way too hard, almost like plywood with a 1/4 inch of padding. They were not the comfortable (but thin) mattresses I had experienced on my previous trips.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took the WB Chief Chicago-La Plata yesterday. Absolutely packed with Southwest Airlines refugees, mostly students.

Some were smokers and kept on in the bathrooms despite repeated warnings from the conductors. The smokers were so adept at avoiding the crew that I wondered if they'd surreptitiously affixed GPS locators to the conductors' behinds. Passengers grumbled but wouldn't rumble the offenders. Peculiar.

Lounge car attendant repeatedly broadcast his overserved-customers warning, a classic.

Most of the students were very well behaved, however.

All the same, I'd rather ride sleeper. Coach is a whole different world.

Got off at La Plata just 10 minutes behind the advertised.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it looks like all is well in the OT department for Miss Vickie and Mr. Art.

As of a few moments ago Train Status reports #448(4) as expected OT ROC.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Took the WB Chief Chicago-La Plata yesterday. Absolutely packed with Southwest Airlines refugees, mostly students.

However, Mr. Kisor, it appears others from along the route of the Chief are simply "waiting it out":

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/05/stranded-high-school-choir-enjoys-chicago/

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the reports. My vicarious vacation.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the report, Miss Vicki. Glad it's going well for the most part. Sorry you found the steak tough; last time I had it on the Cap Ltd it was delicious. It all depends on the chef and timing, I suppose!

Hope to hear more soon.

Sojourner

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Nos. 3 and 5 could easily have taken on a couple more coaches each, but they were not to be had, according to the conductor. I doubt that Amtrak could have accommodated more than five per cent of the stranded Southwesties.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there was a time when the ATSF would have quickly assembled a string of coaches with maybe a heavyweight diner for a Second No. 3.

I wonder if Amtrak could justify the maintenance expense, if they had surplus equipment, for standby cars to be used for emergencies such as the SW problems, or seasonal traffic fluctuations and special trains. With most LD trains serving Chicago it should be easy to deploy them from there as needed. Too bad all those heritage cars were scrapped. Many could have been saved, just ask VIA.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Great meet-up Miss Vickie and Mr. Art; Mr. Black, "they're yours".

Gil,

We're ready. Thurs. night is our date together; we're looking forward to it!

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Southwest Chief #4 4/2/11

The top bunk broke making it unstable so we shared the bottom. Cozy to say the least.           �

Cary Grant wasn't as fortunate!

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it a shame they scrapped the heritage cars. As they could be used for extra service. To have a second section.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 1960s the need for extra cars, especially sleepers was handled by leasing cars off the western trains (UP, NP, etc.) to the railroads serving Florida during the busy winter months. During summers those cars migrated back west for use during their busy season when travelers visited the national parks. Amtrak has never grasped that concept. This has led Amtrak to miss many great opportunities such as the Super Bowl, college bowl games, and other events that attract a large number of travelers.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what you said. I have read a lot about that. I think it makes sense. The NP really leased quite a few. It makes sense with demand
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:

Tom

I don't know about that, Tom. I think the consensus among followers of Hitchcock is that the Cary Grant character and the Eva Marie Saint character got "cozy" on the 20th Century Limited. I seem to recall a rather obviously symbolic shot of the train passing through a tunnel as night fell.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the travel report. I guess the the delays add to the adventure!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Mike,
I guess I was thinking only of the first night, but, you're right about the closing shot. Although, as I recall, the train passing through the tunnel was SP livery?
Tom

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom, I think that the tunnel shot was indeed not realistic to the New York Central, however, the shots out the window when Cary and Eva are in the diner are most authentic as regards the Hudson River scenery.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Mike,
Agreed. I've taken that trip several times both by rail and water. In the movie you can see Sing Sing, Tappan Zee bridge, Bear Mountain Bridge, etc.
Tom

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

La Plata-Winslow on #3 first-rate. Old scruffy sleeper but top-drawer attendant and spotless bathrooms the entire trip made up for it. The steak was great. Fine weather. Superb company at breakfast (a Canadian actor and world traveler) and lunch (a retired pit trader at the Board of Trade). Supper mates not so hot -- a pair of End of Days cultists (the world ends December 22. You read it here first) and 9/11 conspiracy bugs. Tiresome. La Posada everything it was advertised to be. Homolovi Ruins fascinating. Meteor Crater ditto. Hard to take good pictures owing to 40 knot winds. Return tomorrow on #4.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Tonight's #3 into Winslow was extraordinarily long -- seemed to have two or three extra coaches and two sleepers on the rear. Was this a combined Zephyr/Chief or perhaps a combined Eagle/Chief? I presume the reason for doubling up -- if it was that -- was impassable weather somewhere.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cary Grant did just fine in that upper bunk. You are right about the SP shot at the end though the symbolism was classic.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been riding Pullman since I was 7 years old.

Yes, I want to lay down on the bed.

Yes, I want to have myself propped up and watch the world at night roll by.

I can always nap [Wink]

BTW, the headroom in a single level Pullman, be it 12-1, 10-6, 6-6-4 or 4-4-2 was far, far greater than what Amtrak gives on a Superliner!

Thanks for the update on Train 4's service, Vicki!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Got in on No. 4 yesterday, half an hour early despite falling behind by half an hour (train stopped twice -- once for ambulance in medical emergency, once for sheriff arresting panhandler). Can you spell "schedule padding"?

Best trip in a long time -- in a long time of very good trips. Good food, top-drawer service, newer sleeper/lounge/diner, excellent weather.

La Posada all that it was advertised to be -- and so was the Depot Inn.

Most dining-table companions fascinating people, especially the sundial sculptor from Taos on his way to Maryland for a new installation.

Full report on TrainWeb in a few days.

railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:

Tom [/QB]

Perhaps the movie ended before that issue was settled. That way the way it was done in those days.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry: Wonderful [Smile]

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

It's up now.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Henry--

Outstanding report and wonderful photos. You might want to start a separate thread for this so that it would be a bit easier for folks to find?

Frank in sunny but cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Good idea. Will do.
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, I read your report with more than a casual railfan interest. I was employed by the Santa Fe Railway as a civil engineer for 35 years and have been on the ground and on the train over thie route many times. I also frequent the La Posada two or three times each year.

Your writing skill and choices for photography
made me reluctant to point out three items which I am sure you will wish to correct.
. The SWC enters Southeastern CO, Not SW
. Dinner was served west from ALB, not at
Las Vegas
. Santa Fe Railway has always owned the La Posada and the ground upon which it sets. This was an arrangement they had with Fred Harvey for all of the FH establishments on the railroad, including the El Tovar and Bright Angel lodges at the Grand Canyon.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,thank you for the most enjoyable report. LaPosada sounds very inviting and enjoyable. Your writing does entice very well!
Also you truly deliver the social dining experience on a train when you describe the intriguing character traits of your dining companions.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual, an interesting and enjoyable report on one of my favorite trains and destinations. Thanks.

We just received a couple Arizona Republic feature stories from my Scottsdale in-laws. Both extolled the merits of Winslow area, La Posada, and especially John Sharpe's Turquoise Room. It said he had been nominated by the James Beard foundation as one of the best chef's in the country and Conde Naste survey rated it in the top 5 hotel restaurant's in the country.

Apparently he walked away from a string of successful California restaurants so he could get back in the kitchen. It quotes him as saying, 'It's absolutely the strangest place to have a bloody restaurant'. How true.

I believe the next time we go, we'll try to by train, but westbound only. The 6am eastbound departure is a little early for us. And besides, you miss another day of great meals. Also a good excuse to return from LA on the Sunset.

But I must say, not sure about the merits, at least with my wife along, about a stay in La Plata. While the Amish encounters were interesting, I'll be satisfied with those in Lancaster County, Pa (and the Strasburg RR). Think I'd rather see that same BNSF Intermodal fleet from a chair on the lawn at La Posada.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

RRChina, thank you very much for the corrections. They have been made. I value the expertise of those on this forum.
grin
Member # 7169

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for grin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr. Kisor for the fun and informative SW Chief exploit. My Wife and I took the SW to Williams from Chicago on a Honeymoon. Thanks to you I am contemplating a trip w/wife on the Empire. Long may you ride.
Posts: 11 | From: S.W. Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Tonight's #3 into Winslow was extraordinarily long -- seemed to have two or three extra coaches and two sleepers on the rear. Was this a combined Zephyr/Chief or perhaps a combined Eagle/Chief? I presume the reason for doubling up -- if it was that -- was impassable weather somewhere.

#3 hauls a lot of rebuild cars from Beech Grove to Los Angeles. #4 hauls a lot of cars in need of work to Chicago which are later transferred to Beech Grove.

Since the cars were on the rear, rebuild/refurbished cars would be my guess.

Or maybe just car swaps for the summer season from Chicago to Los Angeles for use on the Starlight or Sunset.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page