RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hotels in Chicago

Author Topic: Hotels in Chicago
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This subject has been touched on before, but it's been a few years. Anyhow, I am in the early stages of planning a trip for my parents next summer. He will be 80, she will be...(ahem, how do I put this delicately?) ...39 (koff, plus 31, koff, koff!).

This will be the homeward leg of a trip through Glacier Park. They will be spending two nights in Chicago connecting from the Empire Builder to the Texas Eagle. They will be renting a car. They are not members of any chain's loyalty program. I would like to find a good, preferably slightly upscale hotel convenient to downtown Chicago and attractions (Navy Pier, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium). Ideally the cost would be $150/night or less including taxes and parking, or at least close to that.

I do have access to any number of hotel directories, of course, but there is no substitute for actual experiences. Hopefully some of you can share yours. Any suggestions?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i stayed at the best western on michigan ave for about 125 a night at christmas time. the valet parking was 25 a night which is cheap in chicago. has a nice restaurant attached also. located by navy pier soldier field etc. i just looked at the website. it is called best western grant park if you want to check it out.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I will go ahead and throw this idea out there but I don't know if it is doable or not. I haven't taken a long-distance AmTrip in a few years, but I have done many, many trips over the years with transfers in Chicago. My philosophy has always been that I've been on a train for (usually) 3 days/2 nights, so I want a really nice place to stay in-between trains. I tend to travel with the "you only live once" thought, so with that said, here is my recommendation:

Ritz Carlton Chicago

I know, I know....you are seeing $$$$ right now. [Smile]

But look at it this way. Your parents are about the same age as mine (dad 80/mom78). Do you have any idea how thrilled they would be at a treat like this? The views are amazing, the service is top-notch, the food is fantastic....It's the type of experience that makes you say, "Wow! I'm glad I did this".

I have never tried using the wholesale hotel websites (such as Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels dot com, etc) but I have been told that you can get some pretty good deals there. I prefer to book directly through a hotel because I want to be 'their' client in case something goes wrong, because they will be empowered to fix it (as opposed to what I have witnessed in the past, where a person is told, "Sorry, but you have to call Priceline to work this out"). I have also had some pretty good luck by asking for a AAA discount.

There are lots and lots of hotels in Chicago, and I've stayed in only a handful of them. It has been my experience in the past that you sort of get what you pay for. But I can assure you that the Ritz is absolutely, positively AWESOME. Here is their website if you want to pop some dates in to see what it shows:

http://www.fourseasons.com/chicagorc/

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Smitty, this whole trip is a splurge...I am running my AGR account dry to get them to Glacier. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary next year (although not during this trip). I will give the Ritz some serious consideration.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Mr. Smith's suggestion has merit; however within the confines of the $150/ni guideline but hardly implying that this inquiry is of the "where can I find a cheap hotel in..." genre, it should be noted most of the major brands have 'commercial grade" properties in the River North area.

Mr. Resor can give you a first hand report regarding Marriott Spring Hill; Mr. Silver Star can give you one on Homewood (think that is a Hilton brand?). Restaurants in all ranges are in that area as well.

No, River North is not the Loop and definitely is not Mag Mile, but for many business travelers, River North hotels are what the company pays so this is where you stay. However being pragmatic, I do think $150/ni should be modified from "bottom line" (room, tax, parking) to 'rate".

Finally Mr. Bowen, having met your Father within the past year, I would have whacked off about ten years from your "disclosure". Your Mother can of course remain "Jacqueline Benny".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Well, after doing some looking around I find that the Ritz-Carlton does not quote rates this far in advance. We need to plan the trip now, though, because Glacier Park is already booking up for next summer.

Marriott is quoting a rate of $186/nt at the Medical District/UIC property, and Hilton is quoting $189 at their downtown Hilton Garden hotel near Navy Pier. That's close enough to our budget for consideration. I might make a tentative reservation at one of these properties and keep an eye on what might become available between now and next July.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, I'm surprised that the Ritz won't allow a reservation for that set of dates. The other hotels I'm sure are fine. I am a Hilton HHonors member, and in general, their "Hilton Garden" properties are very nice....much nicer than a regular Hilton (which I find to be VERY hit and miss...Hilton has ZERO consistency with their properties across America. Sorta like Amtrak!).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote would be for the Palmer House. A classic Chicago institution, though now part of Hilton. While it may be something of an expense account spot now, it's always seemed like a great hotel to launch a rail trip. I would have loved to have had the doorman hail a taxi there and tell the driver - 'hurry, I have a drawing room on the Century and only 15 minutes to departure'. I believe Mr. Norman would recommend a dining spot on the premises too. You may be able to get a decent rate if over a weekend.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homewood Suites is indeed very nice and your parents will enjoy it. Rates should be around $150/night. It's just about a block from Michigan Avenue and is but a $6 or $7 cab ride from Union Station. It is very close to a Chicago Trolley Tours sightseeing stop (on and off at most major attractions) and is right acros sthe street from an excellent PF Changs restaurant. Each room is actually a suite with kitchen, 2 TVs, and ots of room to stretch out. I recommend it highly.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homewood Suites (Chicago) photos are in the middle of this story: http://trainweb.org/vrt/TurnerSWChief/
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
Homewood Suites (Chicago) photos are in the middle of this story: http://trainweb.org/vrt/TurnerSWChief/

And towards the end of that story, there is a photo of the new feature on the Skydeck at Sears Tower (I still call it that). You can stand on clear glass (or plexiglass?) and look straight down! My stomach gets topsy-turvy just looking at the photo. I don't think I could actually stand there if I went. I remember hugging the wall and having a hard time looking out the window the last time I was there. High Anxiety!
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Palmland about the Palmer House. Stayed there a few years ago and that is where we first met GBN. I think there is a plaque commemorating the occasion in the lobby.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Members of my family stayed at the Hotel Allegro (or Allegra, I am not sure of spelling, but it's in the Kimpton chain) in the Loop, was actually close to walking distance to Union Station, though not with older folk with luggage (so one person can walk and one not hee hee) . . . They had a nice wine and cheese in lobby in the afternoon. Family members of all ages liked the place, and it was incredibly convenient.

One note: If the day they are staying is a Sunday, best not to stay in the Loop, so many restaurants not open then.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed at the W City Center. We enjoyed it, but I wouldn't recommend it for your parents. Based on what I am reading here I think the Palmer House or Homewood Suites might be ideal. Although you can't beat The Ritz-Carlton.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page