TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Simplified Dining Service

Author Topic: Simplified Dining Service
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Simplified Dining Service, in which meals are prepared off-train and reheated in convection ovens on the diners, is still being used. Is that correct?

Also, what items are cooked to order on board? Egg dishes, I imagine. Vegetables, I imagine.

Is SDS used on the Empire Builder, or are meals prepared aboard that train as was advertised a couple of years ago?

Anything else I should know?

I ask because I'm updating "Zephyr" and need to be accurate.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SDS is still used on the LD trains, but I'm not sure what the latest is on the Builder. Amtrak changed vendors for the pre-cooked/catered food a while back. It used to be Gate Gourmet, but now it's someone else and the name escapes me at the moment (if I can remember it, I'll post it). In addition to cooking eggs, they also cook steaks to order.

Two food items I wish they would bring back are: 1) hot soup, and 2) Turtle Pie for dessert. Boy that stuff was good.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right Smitty. I remember the days when soup was served automatically at lunch the way salad is at dinner and it was very good.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's commissary is currently contracted to Aramark.

Mr. Kisor, I look forward to buying your book as soon as it's on sale.

Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aramark, gotta luv that!

I think you will find that Aramark primarily holds contracts for industrial catering such as company cafeterias and "roach coaches". They also hold contracts for food service at any of a number of prison systems.

Also of interest, a predecessor of theirs, ARA Services, designed the Automat cars for the SP. At least the former commissary contractor, Gate Gourmet, primarily services airline in-flight catering.

Welcome aboard.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did my last LD trip around the time simplified dining was brought in, and on the train from WAS - CHI had a perfectly edible piece of fish served with mashed potatoes and green beans.

Two nights later on the EB, where full dining had been retained, I had...er, fish, mashed potatoes and green beans!!

The food was identical, only the amount of linen in the dining room was different, and IIRC, china as opposed to plastic plates.

Never quite worked that one out.....

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page