RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chicago Hotel Question

Author Topic: Chicago Hotel Question
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a topic which comes up from time to time but one that I don't pay much attention to..... until now when it's an answer I'm seeking.

I'm putting together plans for a family trip in July and would like some recommendations for downtown Chicago hotels near Union Station. What are some favorites which others here have used?

Also - does anyone have any experience using sites such as 'Priceline'? I'm considering doing that in this one case and could use a 'Priceline Primer?"

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that most of the hotels in which you would be interested are located in the River North area which is roundly 1.5mi from CUS. I've walked it on many an occasion. Here you will find every major brand in the "commercial" range, namely where companies and the Government are prepared to have their mid-level employees stay. Mr. SilverStar has stayed at a Homewood (Hilton) there and Mr. Resor has stayed at a Spring Hill Suites (Marriott).

The Loop has now joined the Mag Mile becoming "the land of the 1%"; a JW Marriott has opened in the building that had the railroads' consolidated city ticket office as a tenant and the Midland, which once offered railfan rates, is now a "W" (doubt if they extend railfan rates). The only "econo" I know in the Loop is Club Quarters which is by membership but will open rooms to the public "supply and demand". Maybe The Allegro (formerly Bismarck) in the Theater District (Loop) would have acceptable rates. The Palmer House is a venerable "institution", but it was recently renovated - and with those renovations, it, like the other Loop properties I noted, also joined the 1%ers.

I've never had any experience with the auction sites such as Priceline, nor will I likely have such. While I know good deals can be found, it is simply a case for me of "the best surprise is no surprise".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Priceline is wonderful. The info on their website explains it well. Just remember, if your bid is accepted you pay right away, non-refundable.

I like to get a refundable reservation to insure I have a place. Then I can bid, always remembering to aim for substantially less than the cost of my reserved room.

Check out betterbidding.com for help on bidding and recent winning bids to use as a guideline.

Hotwire is nice too but Priceline generally has better prices.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are going to catch a Cubs game while you are there?
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

I have stayed at the Club Quarters (111 W. Adams) and can recommend it. It was formerly a membership-only operation, as Mr. Norman notes, however it now has a second, public, identity - The Central Loop Hotel - with a separate website where it can be booked by all.

A variety of room sizes and prices are offered, but don't expect a view. Rooms are small, but attractive (contemporary decor), comfortable and very clean. Baths are shower-only, as I recall. There are free internet terminals on each floor. Room cardkeys are required to access the elevtors at the ground floor. There's a reasonable restaurant next door, accessible through the lobby.

Other Loop hotels I can comment on from personal experience are the Allegro and the Palmer House, both a little further from Union Station.

The Allegro is a Kimpton hotel. The service nd food are excellent. The rooms and baths are tiny and rther overpowered by the Kimpton baroque decoration.

The Palmer House changed ownership a couple of years ago. Though still a Hilton property, the famous lobby is now revenue-producing space, filled with immense tables and chairs. To encourage guests thence, free in-room coffee is no longer offered.

My favorite Chicago hotel is the Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile. Rooms are large and sunny. Beds are extremely comfortable (I bought a Hilton mattress for my home some years ago and love it). Though the in-house restaurant is adequate, just around the corner is the Drake Hotel where the food and drink are, by hotel standards, tip-top. I always have dinner there at the Cape Cod Room. Despite the recent remodeling (and the rather shabby new stainless steel flatware) it remains a quiet, underappreciated little gem. The food and service are truly exceptional.

-Mark

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,
I have family in central Illinois and often take the train to/from Chicago, so I have occasion to overnight near Union Station when arriving or departing at early/late hours. The two hotels I tend to use the most are the La Quinta Inn & Suites Downtown and the Holiday Inn Mart-Plaza. I usually check the price and availability of the La Quinta first when planning a stay.

The La Quinta Inn is a short walk from Union Station, offers free breakfast, and free WiFi. It is located on the corner of Franklin and Madison. I have always found the room clean and everything working, although the rooms are not very spacious. I find the price to range quite a bit depending on the date. I've payed as little as $89 a night but usually closer to $120. AAA or La Quinta Returns membership can bring the price down.

The Holiday Inn Mart-Plaza is a bit farther from Union Station, but I usually get a better rate, especially when the other hotels seem to have higher prices due to conventions in town, or other events.

I haven't used Priceline before so I don't know how that may affect the price on those hotels.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I was very pleased with the Homewood Suites during my stay last March. It is a short taxi ride from Union Station but is close to most sightseeing spots and close to a stop for the hop on/off sightseeing trolley.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the Hotel Allegra, a Kimpton hotel, when I stayed there. It is walking distance to Union Station unless you have a lot of luggage. I got a good deal on room rate, but I think it depends on time of year.

I have never used priceline.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for these suggestions. These suggestions from personal experience are more helpful than scanning through the various online search sites. I will look into them and come up with something soon.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
does anyone have any experience using sites such as 'Priceline'? I'm considering doing that in this one case and could use a 'Priceline Primer?"

I use Priceline often, and have gotten rooms in both the Loop and North Michigan Avenue/Miracle Mile areas. During recent trips, I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency, Four Points (Sheraton), Tremont, and Inn of Chicago. $70 per night is the most I've ever bid.

Keep in mind that when major cities are hosting multiple conventions (or their major league team is playing a week of home games), the availability of rooms on Priceline drops dramatically.

And if you're traveling with kids? When you place a Priceline bid, you can't specify the number of beds per room. During less busy periods, the hotel's desk clerk will generally honor a specific preference at check-in -- one king size, two doubles, or whatever. In several cities (not Chicago), I've been given a suite for no extra charge.

However, there's no guarantee that they'll be able to accomodate you. You may find yourself stuck with one huge bed in the room when you really need two.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I didn't look this up for you before, David. The address for the Hotel Allegro is 171 Randolph by LaSalle; it's pretty close to the wonderful Cultural Center (be sure to see the third floor/Tiffany windows) and Millennium Pk/Michigan Av.

I meant to say, too, that I also stayed at the Tremont Hotel, 100 Chestnut, off Michigan (a little below the Water Tower). It's a pretty short taxi ride from Union Station. I had mixed feelings about this hotel--great location, rooms OK, single elevator was very irritating. EVen though it's in the Starwood chain, it is much more the boutique hotel, not like other Starwood hotels I've seen. I wouldn't pay their regular prices, but they seem to offer lots of deals at times; have even seen rooms for $99--now that would be WELL worth it for Chicago! (may just be in winter though). Mike Ditkas restaurant, not cheap but pretty good food, adjoins.

I've looked into other hotels but not yet stayed in them (but they are on my list):
Club Quarters mentioned above is excellent location and I liked very much the one in NYC. However, every time I checked it, rates were higher than expected. If your business isn't a member, I think you may have to book through expedia or hotels.com, too; can't remember if that's true in Chicago (I believe it was in NYC), for which service (either) I believe there is a $25 cancella fee.

Best Western River North, 125 W Ohio. I got a great rate here when I booked for last spring but wound up having to cancel mywhole trip due to the flooding in N Dakota/Montana, so I never stayed here.

Hampton Inn on W Illinois at Dearborn, also River North area. I've never stayed here but it's on my list.

Also wanted to mention, just N of Union Station, parts of Canal or Wacker or both (I forget which), are closed to both pedestrians and cars because of construction and look to be so for a while.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I stayed at the Club Quarters we were able to get in as a non member and with lower rates because it was a weekend. Did require membership for weekdays.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I may someday want to try the transfer between the Empire Builder and other western trains involving an overnight, I have been following this thread with interest.

Has anyone ever looked into staying in Milwaukee and using a Hiawatha? Would it be cheaper? Would Amtrak allow this on a one-zone Guest Rewards trip?

I have seen downtown Chicago but never Milwaukee. My hotel choices tend to be in the Best Western down to Red Roof Inn range.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
I have seen downtown Chicago but never Milwaukee. My hotel choices tend to be in the Best Western down to Red Roof Inn range.

Milwaukee is definitely cheaper for hotels -- especially if you bid for a room on Priceline.

I've stayed at the grand old Hilton (downtown) by bidding $50 per night. According to biddingfortravel.com, current Priceline bidders are scoring rooms there (as well as at several other "big chain" downtown Milwaukee hotels) for $45-55 per night.

If you bid, be sure to limit your options to "downtown" if you don't want to end up somewhere in the boondocks.

--------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
In the past I have dealt with the Chicagoland 'Hotel Issue' by staying at the Comfort Suites in Aurora, IL. It's adjacent to the Metra Station at the end of the Burlington District route......

We ultimately may wind up doing this but as we are arriving on the Southwest Chief, going to Aurora would mean ditching the Chief in Naperville and doubling back.......

I'll cast about for a 'deal' downtown though we may ultimately settle for a Midway Airport area hotel..... or the aforementioned Comfort Inn.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page