RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train Story

Author Topic: Auto Train Story
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As promised recently, my Auto Train story is now posted to the main page of TrainWeb. I hope you enjoy it.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While such will hardly be of scope as is Mr. Turner's, "Voyage #20 - To Lorton in WGC", namely 52(29JAN) is - honest - a 'work in progress".
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First class report, Jack! (And thanks, GBN, for posting the link.)

Makes me wish there was an Auto-Train from Chicago to Miami.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outstanding report, Jack. As you would expect I particularly enjoyed the RMC references. Since my tenure was a few years prior to yours, didn't get to see A-T, but had to settle for the Florida Special.

Having lived in Delaware and then Baltimore for many years, your report on the Delmarva peninsula and Williamsburg was particularly interesting and well done. The photos brought back lots of memories.

How do you add a report in the section you used and how hard is it to add photos?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was indeed a great report, super pictures and fascinating history. Also included ponies, a bonus!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easton, MD....... had a job interview there coming out of graduate school. Not only did my efforts that day not result in an offer, I managed to get a parking ticket for not putting enough change in the meter.

Wonder how different things would be for me now had I gone to work in Easton in 1994 as opposed to in Fayetteville, NC?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Auto train report was very informative and also very much enjoyed. I must say Williamsburg looks very enticing to me as much as an Auto train journey. Thank you!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind comments, friends. For those of you not located in the east, this is a great operation but the short overnight trip is not real exciting for the railfan. This truly is a functional train which performs a great service to the public by avoiding the I-95 hassles.

I loved watching A-T pass RMC every day during my four months there as it made an impressive sight. I even have a photo of it coming up Center Street behind an RF&P engine and, in those days, the sleepers still had their UP and ATSF look including the UP yellow. On the night they stopped in Ashland, the whole town turned out as word somehow got around. It was quite a sight and people were excited when a headlight appeared to the north running down the usual northbound track. It turned out to be the Silver Meteor and many folks were confused when it zipped past. A-T showed up right on its heels on the usual southbound track. A middle aged passenger wearing his Hawaiian shirt (probably heading to Miami Beach) said "Come aboard" and I actually did so and walked through a couple cars then exited while the hostesses gave Shirts Blanton his gift wrapped TV set. I wished I could stay and head home to Florida but common sense prevented that.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I correct that to travel on the Auto-Train you must be traveling with an Auto?

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Train Web welcomes feature stories from its readers and, Palmland, you have some good ones to tell based on your reports on this forum. The best thing to do is to contact the TrainWeb adminiistrator Steve Grande. Perhaps he will post instructions, or else I can send that to you.

Yes, 20th Century, Williamsburg is well worth it. The history is amazing and it's a great place to walk around as well. I encourage a visit there any time of year. If you travel by regular train, the Williamsburg Hospitality House is a nice place to stay and it's easily walkable from the station without heavy luggage. There are rental cars in town though one wouldn't be needed if you stay at that hotel. Other places may pick up at the station. Richmond is just an hour drive away and rental cars do serve the train station.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, the only way to board Auto Train without an auto is for there to be another national emergency rising to the level of 9/11, when during its aftermath, anyone with a passenger ticket got a ride. This provision is simply part of the existing contractual arrangement in place between the Auto Train Corp and the RF&P and SCL Railroads. Amtrak and CSX are simply successor parties to that agreement.

However, anyone could do what DPM once did. During 1972, he and Margaret flew KMKE-KDCA, rented an auto, and drove it to Lorton where it was loaded aboard the then-private sector Auto Train. At Sanford, he then drove the auto to Orlando, and flew KMCO-KMKE. Only hitch was that he saw no need to let the auto rental concern know what he was up to. Returning the auto at McCoy, DPM was confronted with a very skeptical manager as to how the auto got from Wash with only 75 or so miles on it. He was reportedly in a "guilty until proven innocent' situation - exacerbated by the then prevalent time AND mileage rate structure in place. Needless to say, the employee did not know what Auto Train was, but apparently DPM escaped without a brush up with law enforcement. Even documentation of the AT trip was not really sufficient, but presumably, his journalist credentials saved the day (BTW, I never met him face to face, he always had a phalanx to protect him from garden variety railfans).

All told, if you choose to do a similar journey, make sure the auto rental outlet you use knows in advance what you are up to. You of course, as did DPM, will have to pay one way rental surcharges which in some markets can be steep. Somehow, I think "it will go down easier' with a major concern than some independent.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great story, Jack!! Thanks so much for sharing it! One of these days I need to find a way to book a trip on the Auto Train! Sounds like you had a great Christmas trip through Demarva and Williamsbug too!

-- Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman--

OK, I'll bite. Who is DPM? I'm assuming Margaret is Mrs. DPM.

Frank in sunny and windy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank - DPM would be David P. Morgan..... long-time editor of Kalmbach's Trains Magazine. His most prolific writing appeared from the late 1950's into and through the 1970's.

John - (and GBN) I agree that the Auto Train has little in the way of interest for the railfan rider but it is quite a sight for the train watcher.

Once, when held in Fayetteville, NC in the mid-90's, I worked as a volunteer for the Region 5 NARP annual meeting. The meetings were taking place in the 8th floor ballroom at the Prince Charles Hotel one half block from the Amtrak station.

At about 9:45pm as the Saturday evening meeting was in session, a diesel horn sounded for a crossing a few blocks north and the Amtrak Representative present said "Folks, that would be the southbound Auto Train."

The speaker stopped talking. Everyone in the room got up and walked to the outdoor balcony for a better look. As soon as the Auto Train passed, everyone returned to their seats and the meeting resumed as if nothing had happened.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks, David. I read TRAINS but later than the '70's.

Frank in still sunny and blustery SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Voyage #20 was aboard #52 (29 JAN).

This was part of a six day trip that I must acknowledge was four nights “on the road” and the remaining two were in Florida. That Sunday, January 29, had me leaving The Villages for a Lunch time meet up with Member Ocala Mike somewhat South of his namesake city. After our Lunch, it was time for a leisurely drive over to Sanford (65 miles) arriving there at 230P for the 3PM closing.

This journey was not going to be a moneymaker for Amtrak, the 109 auto and 219 passengers were still aboard the sixteen car “fixed” AT consist. My auto was aboard within five minutes of surrendering it, and there was no line whatever when I checked in. While checking in, I learned that the term “fare Bucket’ is official Amtrakese; previously I thought it was only “fanese”. I was surprised to find that no longer tickets are printed for the AT - or at least at Sanford. The necessary info such as accommodation and vehicle load number is recorded by hand on to the Auto Train folder. Personally, I would like to have a ticket, but then the majority of people nowadays apparently simply do not care, as I have learned that only a fraction of people using a credit card for a purchase will even retain their Customer Copy, if in fact the merchant even tenders one..

Well to the train; this journey was to be in Bedroom C of 10BR car “W Graham Claytor”. Conveniently the car was A End forward which meant a forward ride - a “plus” with me as I would guess anyone else here at the Forum.

The wine tasting started promptly at 3PM, and can be a “wine chugging” if one is into that. To my surprise, there still remains one Sightseer car, 33043, assigned to the AT. The car has been reconfigured with all tables upper level with the Smoking Lounge ‘down below’. The latter “did its job”, or maybe no one was smoking any time I was in the car. According to Mr. Ainsworth’s site, all of the 3310X damaged at Crescent City have been returned to service; there should be one available as a spare. Therefore with the “if you’ve seen one Pine Tree, you’ve seen ‘em all” scenery along the route, it appears a waste to have a Sightseer permanently assigned to AT.

Departed Sanford at about 350P.

First serving of Dinner started promptly at 5PM; the Beef Tournedos were prepared exactly as ordered, all service other than dessert were with metal, glass, and ceramic ware - and the “comp” wine “flowed”. Somehow, I don’t think there are too many Food & Beverage sales in the Lounge car - maybe in the Coach Lounge, but not in Sleeper.

Movies are still shown after Dinner, and evidently since all Lounges have been upgraded with flat screen monitors, they are not about to go away.. But then, that is why I had a Bedroom - and for that matter, an unread Sunday New York Times.

About the only minor incident that took away from the pleasure of the trip occurred when I started to do a walk through the train. So far as I knew, Sleeper passengers have the “run of the train..’ Well, I got kicked out of the Coach diner (courteously but still assertively… “your Lounge is back in the Sleepers, sir‘). Then if that wasn‘t enough the two Conductors were sitting in an empty Coach and said to me “you must be some kind of company spy“. “Well I was with a railroad thirty years ago, but I‘m a paying passenger; here‘s my ticket“. “Well, you sure know how to walk aboard a train, and not too many around here do‘. So what am I going to do, forget how to walk on a train? “Have a good evening , sir“.

Oh well, time for The Times, then bedtime.

Aside from a minor issue requiring a stop to “reboot’ one of the locomotives, all went well.

“Continental Breakfast’ was served for me passing through Richmond; if there is any scenery on the route, it is on the RF&P. Arrival in Lorton was about 950A or 20min off. My auto was about first off; in fact I was talking with some travelers I had met in the Lounge during the Wine Tasting. Nice people, so my auto sat out there waiting on me for some fifteen minutes.

My autos are used to being last off - and I have two “consolation prizes“ in my collection for being such.

Otherwise, the drive home with an overnight in Akron was essentially without incident.

I still hold that along with Acela First, Auto Train is Amtrak’s “best foot forward’, Voyage 20 affirms my “more positives than negatives” overall rating of my Amtrak travel experiences.

So far as I'm concerned, I got value for the $610 total fare paid.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I was surprised to find that no longer tickets are printed for the AT - or at least at Sanford. The necessary info such as accommodation and vehicle load number is recorded by hand on to the Auto Train folder. Personally, I would like to have a ticket, but then the majority of people nowadays apparently simply do not care, as I have learned that only a fraction of people using a credit card for a purchase will even retain their Customer Copy, if in fact the merchant even tenders one..

It is simply a matter of practicalities and economy. They know you're on the list; you know you're on the list; why wave a piece of paper in front of them to confuse the matter when said paper can be so easily forged?

AT is probably an Amtrak train I will never ride, simply because of its location (I'll soon be on the west coast). But good to hear it serves its purpose well.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
It's good to hear of another good AutoTrain trip. It is indeed more an experience and a useful means of avoiding an awful drive rather than a sightseeing trip, especially on short winter days. A couple weeks before our trip I picked up our tickets at a staffed Amtrak station as I prefer having an actual paper ticket over an electronic ticket. They even had a nice customized AutoTrain ticket jacket. I also agree the old RF&P segment is the most scenic part.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I'd thought that movies were shown only in the Coast Starlight's Parlour Car these days. Are they limited to the sleeper class lounge on the Auto-Train?

By the way, excellent report. I'm tempted to drive from Chicago to Lorton just to get the Auto-Train onto my life list.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I sincerely hope you will choose to do that, Mr. Kisor. You can comfortably "break" the trip at Akron (full-service Holiday Inn Akron-West is my bunk house) with confidence that "disciplined yet law abiding driving" will get you to Lorton in time for the 3PM closing. Should you want a little more "cushion" (but leaving earlier from Evanston) and a full-service hotel, then the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott at Coraopolis will do the trick (have stayed and "taste-tested" the mess hall at both noted properties; quite OK).

Early arrivals do nothing whatever to affect your vehicle return time at Sanford (and v.v.); they do however give you a better choice of Dinner times.

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Henry, I hope you get to do this trip. As noted, vehicle check-in time makes no difference in the order of vehicle retrieval on the other end. The new stations at Lorton and Sanford are comfortable for waiting and boarding is well before departure and, from what I have noted, punctual unless the inbound train is badly delayed.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

This is the most tempting (for me, anyway) thread in a long time!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Possibly Mr. Turner and other AT "veterans' around here may have additional thoughts, but I have always questioned Amtrak's contention of "we don't know when you'll get your car back". when in fact they could tell you within five minutes of when such would occur.

Obviously, they know EXACTLY what vehicle is loaded on what carrier - they have to simply for potential liability reasons.

But I think part of "the greatest deal Amtrak ever made" - namely acquiring all the "Goodwill" and all the institutional expertise AT Corp developed for $1.00, was "don't tell 'em when they'll get their car back'. I don't think Amtrak need listen to "I need my car NOW; I can't wait (i.e. I'm more important than these other peons)". If you've lived in the Northeast, you know there are some people up there who are mighty mighty important; just ask 'em.

Oh and should your car be last off, you get a consolation prize (coffee mug, sun shade) - I have two of such in my collection.

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
To take Mr. Norman's comment a step further, I find it strange that the unloading order is such a mystery. Autos ride backwards on the train so they can be driven on at Sanford and driven off at Lorton (same in reverse). Auto carriers are typically loaded and unlaoded in cuts of 4 or 5 cars per track/boarding ramp. If they unloaded in the same order as they loaded, one should theoretically have their car in the proper order. I do believe though that vehicles are not actually loaded in order though which would explain the randomness. One car may drive up and be stashed in the first cut of auto carriers, the next one may go to another carrier, etc. They also may load larger vehicles on the bottom as ours was (it's a mini-van not an SUV) which would add to the randomness. Still, one would think there would be a more predictable system than they use. It would be an interesting study. You can view loading and unloading pretty easily on both ends of the trip by standing outside the terminal building in designated areas.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Y'all should be pleased to know that i have responded to survey regarding my AT journey. Normally, surveys get the heave ho, but I figured in deference to this community, I'd respond.

So far as surveys from any source, hey, I vote with my $$$$; money talks and we all know what walks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page