TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Route guides

Author Topic: Route guides
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been quite some time since I saw a route guide aboard a long-distance train. Have they been dropped by Amtrak?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience over the last couple years has been route guides (and timetables) in the LD rooms have been hit and miss.

I believe there was a route guide on my Texas Eagle trip a couple months ago.

I have been downloading guides and timetables from the Amtrak website before my trips so I have them on my iPad and laptop in case they are not available onboard.

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I was not aware the route guides were downloadable from Amtrak. Just grabbed the guide for the Zephyr. It's 10 pages long -- probably too long for a printed route guide to be stuck into the sleeper rooms or seat pockets.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry: You might try going to Railroad Rich's web site: www.railroadrich.com. Click on "railroad stuff". He has some nice route guides, especially of the Northwest.

One of the best route guides was a book entitled, "Rail Ventures... A Comprehensive Guide to Train Travel in North America"
Unfortunately, it is no longer in print.

I recently purchased "USA by Rail", which I bought from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/USA-Rail-7th-John-Pitt/dp/1841622559/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331933808&sr=1-2

It isn't as comprehensive as some of ther other route guides, but still not bad.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got me thinking.....

I found a printed copy of the California Zephyr Route Guide, dated 2009.

Compared to the online version (dated 2010), the text and descriptions are identical. The printed version doesn't have any of the photos included in the online version.

Also, the printed version is a multi-fold similar to paper road maps which once unfolded are near impossible to fold back to it's original configuration :-) Well, maybe not impossible..

The most recent printed guide I have of the Sunset Limited is dated 2005 and is quite different from the online version.

I wonder how often other route guides are updated in the print version, and, like your original question, are they frequently available on-board?

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Southwest Chief had route guides in the sleeper rooms in January when I rode.

One of my favorite route guides from the past was for the Shasta Daylight. It was pocket size and unfolded vertically (a fanfold or accordian fold) about 6 inches wide. Since the train ran north-south this seemed logical. On the left was a beautiful 3-d like illustration of the route with great detail and on the right was the text narration. It was '50s or early '60s. I wish I hadn't lost it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Right, I'm really interested in whether the route guides are available on LD trains -- and if not, why. ("Shortage in the commissary"?)

I'm taking No. 5 from CHI-GSC Monday, then from GSC-EMY Thursday, and will look for the guides.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry- have a pleasant trip and restful hiatus ^^ there in Glenwood Springs. Been many-a-year since I plied those old ex-DRG&W rails...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
I'm taking No. 5 from CHI-GSC Monday

Mr. Kisor, I'll try and get trackside at MP 18.00, Engineer's side. You'll get to see me, but of course I not you.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

GBN, I will try to get to the lounge car shortly after departure and be on the engineer's side as No. 5 zips past Clarendon Hills. (That's MP 18, isn't it?)
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the plug, Yukon!!! I haven't done any trip guides recently, but I wil be resuming them again later this spring or summer hopefully - now I am trying to get all my map sets updated in my computer, for transfer onto CD's.

I'm hoping to put all my maps and guides on CD's and make them available through my web site and pay pal -- that'll be one of my "retirement projects!!"

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr.Kisor, West Hinsdale 17.85, Clarendon Hills station 18.32, 18.34 was my office once upon a time, 18.72 is my home.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry - there are few places I would rather be right now than in a roomette heading for Glenwood Springs aboard #5.

I hope you have a great trip and look forward to reading your 'after-action' report.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page