RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Mad Men - Railroad Inaccuracies

Author Topic: Mad Men - Railroad Inaccuracies
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since MPaulshore seems to have vanished of late, I'll "pick up the slack" around here.

Various reviews of the TV series "Mad Men' have praised it for its accuracy depicting the 1960's in which it is set. Since the '60's are a "been there done that' with me (I was in college and Service through the decade), I can vouch for the production's accuracy and I commend Creator Michael Weiner and the production company, Lionsgate Entertainment, for such.

Except for when we get to railroads.

Now that Pete (Vincent Kartheiser) and Trudy (Alison Brie) have moved to Cos Cob, where the producers even got the origin of the name correct (I lived there 1946-51), the same railroad Coach has been used throughout the series first when Dick/Don's body is brought home to a rural location and Don/Dick/Don is recognized. Then that same Coach was used by Don (Jon Hamm) to travel to Ossining on the NYC and now by Pete on the New Haven. Anyone care to inform the producers that there is a fully restored New Haven #4400 MU that was in service through that era at the Danbury Museum?

Now that Don has married Meghan (Jessica Pare') and moved "on up to the East Side" or 72nd & Park, NYC accuracy is a moot point.

Also, during the on-train scenes there is a very Amtrak sounding horn quite noticeable (had to make this Amtrak related); that same horn is sounding as Pete rides to Cos Cob over the grade X-ing free New Haven Division.

Michael Weiner, or even some intern Production Assistant, are you reading????

Finally, let us note that Vincent Kartheiser (again, the actor who portrays Pete) lives a mass transit minded off screen lifestyle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/fashion/03With.html?_r=1

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you mention this Mr. Norman. It seems Pete is commuting on the New Haven of course (Cos Cob). But when I look at the upholstered seats and coach windows / shades I think New York Central. I do admit that I have never traveled on the NHRR. But the series has got me hooked. I recall when I worked at BBDO on Madison Ave. as a billing clerk. It was the era when helicopters were landing on the former Pan Am Building. It sounded like they were landing in the office. But I thoroughly enjoyed it! I always managed to walk to Grand Central around the time the 20th Century departed for Chicago.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page