RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Totally Off Topic Question for Cruise Afficianados

Author Topic: Totally Off Topic Question for Cruise Afficianados
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a number of people here are known cruise ship afficianados, I'd like to pose these questions seeking advice -

My wife and I, with daughter who will be 7 by next summer, are looking into doing a 7-day Alaska Cruise in either June or July 2013. We have not done a cruise before and I just wanted to seek the input from our regulars who are cruise veterans.

Is there a consensus for a preferred cruise provider? A preference for either a Seattle or Vancouver departure? Any cruise operator particularly better than others in providing entertainment for children? Advice for early booking? Is it preferable to book through a travel agent or directly with the cruise provider - etc.

There will be other considerations in time but for me there are only two - 1) Gotta have a room with a window and 2) Gotta have a day in Skagway so that I can scratch a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Narrow Gauge Railroad off my bucket list.

Thanks everyone -

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Presley, if you, like myself, have no use for the "contrived merriment" scene of the Love Tubs, how about considering a "cruise" aboard an Alaska Marine Highway vessel?

From what I understand, they offer Staterooms and some kind of "pay as you go" Dining service which is likely about as elaborate as that on Amtrak. Reportedly, there's nothing "First Class' about the experience, but I have to wonder just how "first class" some of the Love Tubs are (I honestly thought the quality of their food - and we're talkin supposedly "upscale" Holland America - was, to be nice, "overblown"):

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually one of the great experiences of my 'explorations' was a ride from Vancouver to Vancouver Island enroute to Victoria aboard a BC Ferry and this option mirrors that experience nicely.

My wife would like to recreate that BC Ferry adventure but with the upscale amenities for a milestone anniversary. On this one, she's setting the standard of 'acceptable'.

So long as I can use some AGR points to get us either to or from the northwest corner and so long as I get a ride on the White Pass & Yukon, I can 'buy in' fully to whatever else this adventure may entail.

I'm just thrilled that my wife doesn't have her heart set on cruising to the Bahamas or some other tropical isle where there are no trains to distract me!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, you might want to consider a Disney Cruise. We have booked one for next spring for us and our two sons and families on the Bahamas circuit. According to everything I've seen and read, you can't beat a Disney cruise if you have kids (and they get good reviews for adults only as well). It costs a bit more but I think in Disney's case, you do get what you pay for. But you do need to book early to ensure you get the cabin you want (we have three side by side) and select dinner seatings (little ones like the early dinner times that go fast).

I believe it was last year they started cruises to Alaska when they took delivery of a couple larger ships for the Bahamas/Caribbean cruises.

As for a trip to Alaska, on our one venture there it was the opposite of a Disney cruise - a small 130 passenger ship that meandered up the inland passage for two weeks from Seattle to Juneau. So we had to take the overnight ferry from there to Skagway to get my train fix on the WP&Y - a train trip that your whole family will enjoy. Fortunately, Skagway is a Disney port.

We went in May and the weather was ideal and the mountains were still snow covered.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my understanding that the Alaska ferry bedrooms have bunk beds, which might be inappropriate for a milestone anniversary journey.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
True Vincent.

Wonder if Seattle King Street Station will have been returned to it's former glory by the time we arrive? The trip will, at the least include a roundtrip to Portland to visit old friends there.

--------------------
David Pressley

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, sounds like a great idea. Disney would certainly be kid friendly. Princess and Holland America are the biggies in the Alaska world. They both have great children's programs and there are lots of kids traveling in the summer.

Either Seattle or Vancouver are good starting places with the benefit of an extra train ride on the Cascades to get to Vancouver.

Early booking is wise to get the dining time and cabin you want. And sometimes a travel agent will have some type of bonus, on board credit or a special meal, for you.

Frank in SBA is cruising as we speak, soon to be in Lisbon. I know he would suggest Celebrity line as well.

King Street Station, former glory. At the rate they are going that may not be in any of our lifetimes.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally concur with what Vicki has said. We did Holland America in Alaska and were very happy. You will find a majority of cruises out of Vancvr. are one way with a return the following week. There are a few r/t Vancvr. Conversely all Seattle cruises are r/t. You will have to just check for which visit Skagway.

Also Disney gets excellent reviews and is reportedly a premium product, however, generally you will pay a considerable premium for that as well. With all there factors, you might be better off with a t/a who can objectively compare lines and prices, establish all your Skagway options, etc.

As a general rule, June is cheaper than July as July/Aug. are prime time in Alaska. If any other Questions, please let us know...

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2010 we took Holland-America to Alaska and were well satisfied, although I am not much of a cruise fan (she is, more so).

We flew Chicago-Fairbanks, took train from Fairbanks to Denali, train from Denali to Anchorage, train from Anchorage to Seward, ship from Seward to Vancouver. Yes, the White Pass & Yukon, too!

Only real negative was going through American customs/immigration at Vancouver Airport. Those fellows clearly had been sent to sonofabitch school. We were all appalled.

Minor irritation was the hopelessly ersatz "gold panning" in Fairbanks, but the others ate it up.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are now in Amsterdam after a wonderful 15 night transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to AMS. We arrived on Sunday morning to fog and rain but the last two days have been beautiful. We are headed home tomorrow, a day early because the "loads" look much better then later as we get into the holiday weekend.

I think Vicki and the others have pretty much covered things. We prefer Celebrity and Royal Caribbean because we have risen to the top of their loyalty programs and the benefits really add up.

We have not ridden any trains on this trip although we are close to Centraal Station and have at least three tram lines running in front of the hotel.

Frank in sunny and warm AMS

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering where you were, Frank. Glad to hear all is well. BTW, I didn't get to see you off on the webcam. There was an unexpected death of my good friend's father, so I was busy for several days and missed the chance to see you off!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Alaska cruise experience, which was our first one, was on Celebrity. I would highly recommend this line. Used them several times since. Royal Carribean only once. Depending on your daughters age, Disney might a better choice. But Celebrity as well as others have child/adolescent/teen programs.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandchildren have enjoyed both Holland America and Disney cruise programs. Disney is probably their favorite. And, since Disney has a port at Skagway, it sounds like a winner!!

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page