RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Adventures on the Starlight (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adventures on the Starlight
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
quote:
The contract between Amtrak and Mr. Twin Star was fulfilled; shall we move on?

No.
How, Mr. Mayo, was the contract not completed????????. Passengers and accompanaying baggage were transported with reasonable dispatch between the designated points.
You asked a question, "Shall we move on?" to which I answered "No". I shall be the sole arbiter of whether I choose to move on, not you.
Mr, Mayo, may I suggest you review this article appearing in Yesterday's Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444592404578030351784405148.html?KEYWORDS=rude+on+the+internet

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is a general feeling on this forum that we should "move on", I would be happy to quit posting or delete the thread. However, I think of this thread as an interactive trip report with a little conflict thrown in for polite debate. I would like to think we are all friends and that no post is meant to offend. Since we don't use silly emoticons much, the tone of what is said is not easily discerned. I take the question and the answer at face value and find neither offensive nor rude.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Out of curiosity, is there a legal limit as to how long one can be transported on a bus without a meal/comfort break?

I don't believe so. Last year, I was bustituted from Havre to Minot while riding #28 due to a derailment in ND. It was an 8+ hour bus ride and our driver never stopped for any reason. The bus was packed and people, myself included, were miserable. It was the quintessential definition of a hellish bustitution. [Mad]

Later, Amtrak stated that the driver was supposed to have given us a comfort stop. But they have little control over what the hired driver ultimately decides to do. In our case, the guy was pissed from the moment we left and never said a word to anybody after leaving Havre.

Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mr, Mayo, may I suggest you review this article appearing in Yesterday's Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444592404578030351784405148.html?KEYWORDS=rude+on+the+internet

You might like to search for pot, kettle, and black. I'll restrain from further comment.

quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
If there is a general feeling on this forum that we should "move on", I would be happy to quit posting or delete the thread. However, I think of this thread as an interactive trip report with a little conflict thrown in for polite debate. I would like to think we are all friends and that no post is meant to offend. Since we don't use silly emoticons much, the tone of what is said is not easily discerned. I take the question and the answer at face value and find neither offensive nor rude.

Don't let anybody bully you into their own opinions! It's an open forum, very loosely moderated, and no member should ever be so rude as to tell somebody to "move on" - if anything it should be an indicator for themselves.

So please continue! It's interesting to try to unravel some of the mysteries of Amtrak.

quote:
Originally posted by ColdRain&Snow:
quote:
Out of curiosity, is there a legal limit as to how long one can be transported on a bus without a meal/comfort break?

I don't believe so. Last year, I was bustituted from Havre to Minot while riding #28 due to a derailment in ND. It was an 8+ hour bus ride and our driver never stopped for any reason. The bus was packed and people, myself included, were miserable. It was the quintessential definition of a hellish bustitution. [Mad]

Later, Amtrak stated that the driver was supposed to have given us a comfort stop. But they have little control over what the hired driver ultimately decides to do. In our case, the guy was pissed from the moment we left and never said a word to anybody after leaving Havre.

Wow! That's really harsh on the passengers. I did a double take on the "pissed" part though - I occasionally forget that it means "mad" here; the UK meaning of "pissed" is "drunk".

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So not only did all of these things happen, BUT, you had to pay for your own meal at Subway? Seriously??? Wow...I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience. I know it won't mean much now, but I have traveled in both full directions on the Starlight more times than I can count (I took my first trip 32 years ago and never stopped going back). It's a great train with a really beautiful ride. The Parlour Car is awesome, and cruising through the Cascades is just gorgeous (especially when the train is several hours late). What a bummer that all of that happened.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right, let's clarify. My comment "shall we move on?' was not any attempt on my part to play "back seat Moderator" around here (had enough of that during my two terms as a moderator elsewhere), but rather towards any inference that Mr. Twin Star's transportation contract had not been fulfilled.

I can understand the disappointment of not seeing the scenic views traversing the Cascades thence along the path that God cut through them (and Man pretty well took care of any "rough water" along such) from this highly touted around here Pacific Parlour Car (why Amtrak keeps pumping $$$ into those five of a kind museum pieces escapes me; standardized fleets are what 21th century passenger railroading is all about), the sightseeing excursion is not part of the contract. Regarding meals, be sure to note the use of the word "complimentary" which also means they are not part of any contract.

I acknowledge I was reviewing Mr. Twin Star's postings from the perspective he was contending that the transportation contract had not been fulfilled, but, from my view not as a lawyer, but as one who spent his entire career working within the legal environment of business, it clearly had. As such, and absent anyone coming forth to establish the contrary, I suggested that maybe it was time to move on.

That's all from me regarding this matter.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In response to my e-mail, Amtrak contacted me to say I will get a travel voucher roughly equivalent to 1/3 of the value of my ticket. This is more than generous, in my opinion.

My primary complaint was/is that AGR rules force you to rely on a 1 hour connection when safer ones are available. This would also be true on a Starlight to Sunset connection, and perhaps others. A missed connection is not the same as a planned layover. I agree that I cannot expect scenery or on time performance as part of my "transportation contract." In fact, I regard that uncertainty as a challenging part of the "adventure."

However, since scenery and amenities are part of Amtrak's advertising for their product, it is reasonable to expect some compensation when these are not provided, due to a combination of BOTH AGR policies and unexpected events.

AGR should allow alternatives to any unsafe 1 hour connection -if the customer is willing to pay their own expenses, and the layover is not deliberate. I have learned my lesson that traveling on AGR points does have a down side.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! I was pleasantly surprised to find out that these vouchers can be extended for up to one year at a time if you are not able to use them during the first year. I have a $200.00 one that I still have not been able to use.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TwinStar, I am pleased to learn that you received a voucher in compensation for your bustition.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page