TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The most adorable railfan

Author Topic: The most adorable railfan
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://gawker.com/5981803/adorable-little-railfan-is-infectiously-elated-about-her-very-first-train-ride
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train appears to be the Music City Star - the Nashville commuter line that I understand is "not doing too well".
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think it is the Music City Star. That was intended to be the first line of a multi-line system. It was chosen as first because the line is owned by the state and has very light freight traffic. It was put together very cheaply, used cars from Chicago, used diesels, fare "machines" based on parking lot self-pay boxes, used rail for part of the length, a good tie and surface, and a couple of line relocations. The line is the former Tennessee Central. It was always the lowest trafficed line out of Nashville, went bankrupt more than once, was broken up between Southern, L&N, and ICRR, and finally, except for a part of the Southern segment, ended up in the hands of the state because nobody else wanted it.

The potential demand was next to lowest of any corridor, but implementation was lowest cost by far.

It appears that is is doing well enough to not be killed but not well enought to encourage expansion. It is unique in that it is rail commuter service into a city that has no rail service of any kind otherwise.

The east end is in the town of Lebanon, which is probably a couple of miles too short. It should have and could have been easily extended along the same railroad to where it crossed under I-40 and a huge parking lot built right off an interchange. As it is, there is no convenient way for people from further out to park and access the train.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a railfan friend I have in Nashville and who I see when "passing through" either to Atlanta or Florida (I stay at a Marriott on West End Ave and we always have Dinner at Amerigo).

This fellow holds that had service been available along the L&N from Bowling Green (I-65) and along the NC&StL towards Smyrna (I-24), the story could be a lot different. That is apparently where the traffic lay and as Mr. Harris notes, not along the TC (I-40).

Needless to say CSX was "uh, not exactly" welcoming them with open arms over their rails.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Music City Star was a tourist "dinner train," or is that a different endeavor completely? Last time I was in Nashville ('95 or so), my lady friend at the time and I rode a dinner train there -- was that what is now the MCS? It may have had a different name back then, like "Broadway Dinner Train" or something -- back when the Opryland Park/Hotel were still in business.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Anyone about to approach Lions Gate Entertainment, the producers of the TV series "Nashville" (I watch it; and enjoy it) - and propose somehow "weaving" the MCS - Music City Star - into a storyline?

For those here who watch it, how about Deacon hops a train and finds inspiration for a song that he and Rayna perform - and win a Grammy?

How about Juliette's Mother, again, hops a train and runs off for a drug laced binge?

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is giving me nightmares about the cast of "Honey Boo Boo" aboard a train.

Hey, guys, don't you have anything to gush about that cute little girl in the video?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich, I believe you are thinking of the now defunct 'Broadway Dinner Train' which delivered one of the better dates I ever had while stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY back in 1991.

There is still a Tennessee Central Museum in Nashville which runs periodic excursions as far as Cookeville, TN on the former TC line. The museum has a dome car which I believe was used on the dinner train.

And yes - the little girl is adorable. I like how she says "Look how it goes to us....."

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
This fellow holds that had service been available along the L&N from Bowling Green (I-65) and along the NC&StL towards Smyrna (I-24), the story could be a lot different. That is apparently where the traffic lay and as Mr. Harris notes, not along the TC (I-40).

For the Music City Star schedule, see www.musiccitystar.org/Middle-TN-RTA-schedules.asp
Five days a week, one peculiarity: A Friday envening only train into town and a late, as in 10:30pm late train outbound.

Yes, Mr. Norman, I think your friend named the two primary routes. The southeast, to Myrfreesboro on the NC&StL line to Atlanta, I doubt that CSX would settle for anything less than full double track. This line could probably use a second main just for the current volume of freight, much less adding commuter/suburban services. North, it would be to Gallatin on the old L&N main to Louisville. Here again I suspect the starting point would be not less than full second main. This is one crooked piece of railroad. For this, the best would be if CSX could get a new direct line from somewhere north of Amqui to a point on Louisville main around the Kentucky line. That way no need for the second main to Gallatin which would be one expensive piece of track and the superelevation could be cranked back up to 6 inches to get the speed back up which would not happen if the freight stayed on it.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,

I'm empathetic to your observation that the conversation is going in a different direction that what you'd intended. Your post and clip reminded me of the first time I took my kids on a train trip. They were a little older, so I didn't get quite the reaction that this dad did. All I can say is that he must have been very happy with the outing.

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George and GBN - obviously the solution for commuter rail north of Nashville is to resurrect the TC's Western Div. to Clarksville! Just kidding.

One thing that might help the future of commuter service in Nashville is that CSX has a bypass line that runs around the east side of the city. It cuts off just north of the major yard, Radnor, (which isn't far from Brentwood) and rejoins the line to Bowling Green and Evansville on the northside about 4 miles south of where the line splits (Amqui)for those two cities. Mostly just intermodal trains and all trains going to Memphis take the route going through downtown Nashville (and the old Nashville station/hotel).

And to stay on topic, my granddaughter is certainly cuter than the one in the video! I am afraid though that the some of the 'magic' of NJT has worn off for her.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year I took my son and his cousin, both 4 at the time, on a short, 2 hour jaunt from Riverside to Victorville, CA. Though both were curious, neither were particularly bothered by half way into the journey - unfortunately! I found out afterwards that it was the cousin's first ever train ride. My son had been on numerous trains before, albeit in the UK.

The possible next test will be Los Angeles (or inland slightly) to either San Antonio or Houston (more ameniable hours at the latter). That would be with the wife and 1yo daughter too, probably in the family room. Am wondering whether I'm brave or stupid at this point. The actual destination is South Padre island for a reunion.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David -- yes the train we rode in 1995(?) was the Broadway Dinner Train. The MCS is obviously a different enterprise.

I know the Opryland Theme Park closed many years ago, but is the Opryland Hotel (where we stayed on that trip) still in business? I thought that it had closed down also, when the theme park did -- it was a BEAUTIFUL hotel!!!!!!!!

In my "oversized books collection," I have a beautiful big (14" X 11") 1975 "coffee table book" called "Nashville's Grand Ole Opry," which features color pictures of both the hotel and the park, as well as the Opry itself (written by Jack Hurst; intro by Roy Acuff).

And yes, we have strayed from the original theme of this thread, that being the cute little girl who was so ecstatic about her first train ride. Yes, she is a cutie!! I was probably about the same age when I took my first train ride, which was most likely between South Bend, Indiana, and Cleveland, on the Nickel Plate, back in 1950-something.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page