RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pullman Rail Journeys on CBS Sunday Morning

Author Topic: Pullman Rail Journeys on CBS Sunday Morning
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having my coffee and bagel with CBS on when I heard Arlo Guthrie singing "City of New Orleans." Naturally, this caught my attention and, lo and behold, Sunday Morning was doing a feature on Pullman Rail Journeys.

Mr. Ellis was interviewed, and there were some nice shots taken aboard a trip that one of their reporters took.

This program has somewhere north of 6 million viewers of the "right" demographic to possibly be interested in the services that PRJ offers. In any case, this free advertising certainly can't hurt.

I tried to find a link to the segment, but the best I could come up with was a link to the whole program below. Possibly, a "video converter" is required (whatever that is).

http://www.cbsnews.com/sunday-morning/

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From The Hotel Denver Glenwood Springs--

Mike, the link works fine, but the lobby computer here does not have audio.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mike! I very much enjoyed that. I know this has been talked about on this board. I think I will check out the PRJ site again. If possible I will rethink a trip on this train. But first the Queen Mary crossing in June.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked fine for me, too. Thanks for the link, Mike.

What struck me most was the small number of people who seemed to be on the actual cars. I guess it might have been a demo run instead of an actual trip to N'Awlins.

Off again on Saturday for a 15 night transatlantic crossing from FLL to FCO on Celebrity Silhouette. Three nights in Rome at the end.

Frank in sunny and warming SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just returned home and watched the show (we record Sun morning). The most interesting thing: Ellis says they will have limited service to NY this fall and regular service next year.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I think Phileas Fogg and Passepartout could have made FLL/KFLL-FCO/LIRF in less than 15 days aboard their hot air balloon.

Mike, I have now watched the video you linked complete with audio. Funny how a consist complete with a Great Dome Diner is shown - likely from an inaugural splash and hopefully not the one that went 'diamond hopping on the Wabash' at Tolono. Reportedly the regular consist remains at two cars - a 6-4-6 ex L&N '(seen 'em all)-Pine' and a Diner Obs 'Allegheny Club ex C&O. Frank too immediately noted same.

Further, funny how they choose to offer fares so low that, during off-peak times, PRJ is undercutting Amtrak Sleeper. While of course, with their Non-Agreement staff, PRJ can only offer end to end service, it still seems unwise, if I may say, to 'bite the hand that feeds thee'.

However for myself, the 'close shave' related at another PRJ topic I had last Summer was 'too close for comfort', while I'm certain PRJ would have exchanged for a future trip, a refund would be like pulling hen's teeth. There was simply too great a chance such a trip would end up an airfan's joyride - and at air piracy rates.

Finally, here is a direct link to the CBS News video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/pullman-rail-cars-a-detour-back-through-time/

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
'Pop to top' for relevance to The New York Times article.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page