RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NY Times travel article on Pullman Rail Journeys

Author Topic: NY Times travel article on Pullman Rail Journeys
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This weekend's NY Times travel section has a nice article on the restored comfy Pullman service pulled by Amtrak's City of New Orleans. It is a very enjoyable read. Just hope this service lasts for a while so I can have a chance to experience it....selfish me. Maybe Mr. Norman can provide the link. I am inept to do such...another unfortunate.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite a piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/travel/all-aboard-for-a-trip-to-the-past.html

The article suggests that the normal consist is simply two cars, Chebanse and Allegheny Club, and that passenger loadings are such that it is 1:1 between them and the staff. Further, it is noted that PRJ is presently undercutting Amtrak with their existing fares, and as noted at the main PRJ topic, seems like Ellis is prepared to bite the hand that feeds thee.

I'm not sure if these minstrels are an addition or otherwise. If they are bombarding the Lounge with their performance, where do you go for a drink and a chat? Also, heaven help anyone occupying revenue space in the rooms there. But then, I know first hand Mr. Ellis likes folk music.

If you ask me, this sounds like Ellis and his consorts are having a real rollicking time on the rails; only problem: Housemother Zell will soon likely 'click the lights'.

Addendum; May 18 912A CT; the noted article appears Page 1 of the Sunday Print Edition, Travel Section.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this article and the CBS TV segment doesn't give them some momentum, not sure what will.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears that,even though a photo of 'Chebanse' is shown, the reporter noted her car was 'Baton Rouge' - and that there were only two cars.

Further, with a round end clearly photographed from the interior, I can only conclude such car was the 'Pontchartrain Club' and that such has the capacity to serve meals.

While it certainly appears that so long as the service operates, no corners will be cut. However, my close shave last July was simply too close, and the only way I would consider 'let's try again' was if I was prepared to accept that whatever I paid PRJ was simply a 'bet on the wrong number' and I was prepared to either 'hole up' in NO until either space was available on the 'City', or pay air piracy rates for a return flight.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page