RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Done Deal (?): Talgos for Michigan

Author Topic: Done Deal (?): Talgos for Michigan
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least it looks like a done deal . The members of the MI legislature who were questioning the one-bid contract to buy new rail equipment are apparently convinced that the Talgo trainsets originally built for the Hiawatha route are "adequate" for the Chicago to Detroit/Pontiac route and are willing to accept the financial terms of the deal. MI Senate Transportation Committee Chairman John Pappageorge, R-Troy says:
quote:
... what “raised red signals” was that Talgo was the sole bidder to supply the cars. The company happened to have newly built train sets sitting at an Amtrak facility in Beech Grove, Indiana, and Michigan needed to act quickly because federal funds were available.

“It was appropriate to look into it because that didn’t look right,” Pappageorge said. “Digging into it, we came to the conclusion that Talgo was the right answer — not a perfect one but adequate.”

As I've said before, I expect this equipment will provide extemely reliable service and that the overwhelming majority of passengers will be thrilled with the Talgos.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all in favor, Mr. Vincent; just to get those trains generating revenue for somebody. However, as soon as the Michigan bi-level equipment makes the scene, find them somewhere else (you want 'em out there?).

I'm considering Mariinski Orchestra (St. Petersburg RU) concerts in Ann Arbor Jan 24 & 25 (have booked a hotel for those nights). If some cars are configured for Business Class and if there is any improvement in the abysmal performance of the Wolverine trains, I just might ride, as who knows what the "Lake Effect" weather can bring at that time of the year.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best thing about the Talgos on a Vancouver trip was their Bistro car with good food and service. If that comes with it, then Michigan riders will be fortunate. Otherwise I'll take the superbly reconditioned 1960's vintage KCS/UP coaches used by NC DOT for their Piedmont service.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of us who enjoy sitting comfortably on a train and gazing out the window, NC DOT's 1960's vintage coaches and the Cascades Talgos are the two best rides in the United States.

I cannot imagine the Talgos being more than a short-term novelty in Michigan (which is a shame). Given the absence of a dedicated midwestern maintenence facilty for them, I would imagine that the first 'unusual' defect will sideline them whether the midwestern bilevels are on the property by that time or not.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done deal? Hardly...

It seems that the head of the Michigan DOT is being criticized for the purchase and refurbishment of rail cars for a proposed Detroit to Ann Arbor commuter rail line that won't begin operating until 2017 at the earliest. Those commuter cars have so far cost MI $9.5 million but they are currently sitting unused on a siding near Owosso MI. Meanwhile, the Chicago-Detroit-Pontiac Amtrak service, which serves over 480,000 riders a year, will continue to use old Amtrak rail cars until the MDOT has a chance to "...dive deeply into the business plan and financial aspects related to the maintenance facility, occupation and use, as well as the potential revenue." (of the Talgo trainsets).

Looks like 2 more sets have just become available for the Cascades service.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page