RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ebola and Train Travel

Author Topic: Ebola and Train Travel
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, if Ebola and Enterovirus D68 become pandemic, how safe will train travel be or any sort of travel?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2014/10/13/ebola-travel/

I don't agree. I think you have to quarantine any people departing from countries where E-Bola and Ent. D68 exists. Don't allow them into the country until they are entirely disease free.

I heard a physician, on the radio, who said information coming from the CDC is highly questionable. First of all, they still haven't proved or disproved that Ebola could become airborne. Also, unlike what the CDC hacks tell you, a person can develop a significant Ebola titer, in the body, before any symptoms occur, and thus could transmit the disease with physical contact.

I hope fear of disease will not curtail people from travelling Amtrak. Or better, that both diseases will be checked and no longer a threat.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about D68, but ebola is low transmission (assuming proper precautions), high mortality.

Let's not monger fear.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
I don't know about D68, but ebola is low transmission (assuming proper precautions), high mortality.

Let's not monger fear.

Maybe I missed it, but every news source I've seen on this says people exposed to ebola shouldn't fly, but nothing about riding trains, buses, taxis, or public transit.
This makes no sense to me. Is there some difference in how people ride the different modes, or are they waiting until someone does ride Amtrak or Greyhound before they say, "We messed up (again)".?

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWO CASES. TWO.

One, two.

About 200 exposures. Most caused by stupidity.

We are clear the first fatalities exposures. We are waiting on the two nurses to have their exposures clear.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what you are saying about the very few cases leading to so much panic. But I wouldn't say the 200 exposures were due to stupidity as the traveling hospital staff asked if they could do so. Unless you want to say the CDC stupidity which is perhaps really the case.

As for the two nurses, we haven't heard much about their condition in the last two days. As a nurse myself I feel great empathy for them and all who cared for them and the original patient.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

You're exposed to a high lethality, low transmissivity disease. It has a 25 day go/no-go incubation period.

Common sense says "STAY HOME".

We agree to disagree.

--------------------

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
You're exposed to a high lethality, low transmissivity disease. It has a 25 day go/no-go incubation period.

Common sense says "STAY HOME". One nurse did not. She went jetting.

We agree to disagree.

--------------------

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no real way of isolating people from infected countries except their own honesty. I've no idea whether (for example) Liberian nationals get stamped entering/leaving their own country but I do know it is possible to get to the US without any intermediate country stamping - for example, Liberia->UAE->Singapore->US. Heat scanners at airports will only spot symptomatic people, as well as those with the flu (ie false positives). Nurses in ER cannot wear full PPE all the time on the off chance somebody strolls in with Ebola.

No I don't know what the solution is except to stop panicking, for goodness sake! Take precautions, sure, but place a school on lockdown just because somebody mentions the "E" word?

My wife hasn't been given any instructions on how to deal with patients who might be symptomatic. That concerns me a little.

Was it the ABC news crew who decided that isolation was not for them and went for take-out at a restaurant? Perhaps police guards would be required to enforce isolation.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way to prevent this epidemic before it gets any worse is to PROHIBIT any travel (air, rail, whatever) from Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone to ANYWHERE.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right RRRich, but it's not practical. Borders around there are rarely more than marker stones, if even that. People walk.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably right, Geoff, but I don't believe there will be many people from there who are walking to Europe or swimming across the ocean to the United States..........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

My point is that you'd have to ban travel from surrounding countries too, and the ones that surround those, and then the continent, oh and then Europe too as that's pretty much swimmable from Africa. Where do you draw the line?!?!

--------------------
Geoff M.

DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in CT we have an enforced 21 day isolation for anyone returning from the infected countries.

Folks that means 24 hour police guards. Delivery of groceries and other needed items. Free of charge to those under isolation. This does not come cheaply. My taxpayer dollars are supporting this over reaction to less than a handful of cases.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Dee,

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!! [Smile]

Pardon the language, but this is spot on!

-

quote:
Originally posted by DeeCT:
Here in CT we have an enforced 21 day isolation for anyone returning from the infected countries.

Folks that means 24 hour police guards. Delivery of groceries and other needed items. Free of charge to those under isolation. This does not come cheaply. My taxpayer dollars are supporting this over reaction to less than a handful of cases.

Dee

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I think the worst is over. Dr.Spencer clearly did the right thing; Nurse Nina will be America's Sweetheart with book deals, public appearances, and 10,000 marriage proposals.

Surely everyone is rooting for Nurse Amber, hopefully the "bulletins" her family has been putting out are in line with reality and she too will be returned to health.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Righties, you're not gonna catch Ebola on the 7 subway train (or any other train) or get beheaded at the mall. Lefties, you're not gonna be poisoned as a result of fracking or be incinerated due to global warming.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and apply some common sense to these media "sensations du jour" when they arise.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting statistic: "More Americans have married Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola."
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly the two governors have doomed many with their mandatory quarantine for health care workers. The number of medical personnel willing to go to Africa to assist with the only way to control the epidemic just dropped to few to none.

Politics managing medicine is a pathway to disaster.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page