RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » All Aboard Florida Happenings (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: All Aboard Florida Happenings
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK everybody; the AAF site appears to be "up and running" and I have taken the occasion to plot out a possible AAF joyride for Sunday January 28:

Station------------Time----Carrier

Arsht Center-------910A----Metro Mover
Govt Center--------925
---------------------------934------Metro Rail
Airport----------------948
-------------------------1017------Tri Rail
Ft Lauderdale---1105
FTL AAF Stn-----1225P----AAF--
WPB AAF----------105
FTL AAF Stn-----240
Ft Lauderdale---356-----Tri Rail
Airport--------------450
-------------------------516-----Metro Rail
Govt Center------531
-------------------------545-----Metro Mover
Arsht Center-----600P

Nine hours on my only free day: tempting if I were more the railfan; otherwise "too much".

Posts: 8585 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Aurora Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I think you got to do it. Looks like the AAF portion is only about 2.5 hours. If you have a rental car it should pretty easy. We all await your ‘up close and personal report’.
Posts: 2180 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the rub, Mr. Palmland. I will not have a car. I was simply going to use Metrorail and Mover from/to the Airport. The concert venue is .25 mile from the Marriott and the Mover station is half that distance.

Now IF I make a second journey "down below" with my auto and staying in Boca, then an AAF joyride will be far more doable.

Now talk about "railfan dedication"; there's a fellow over at another site who is going to drive "on down" from South Carolina for an opening day joyride. Maybe it is from Hilton Head, but then it could be from Dillon.

But then, there are Cubs fans who have been to every Opening Day at Wrigley since they were "tykes" - and are now in the nursing home.

Posts: 8585 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Aurora Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
IT'S OPENING DAY!!

From my preferred news source for coverage of AAF affairs:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/all-aboard-for-brightline-inaugural-rail-run/JninDvly5vzncsaNn4zhAP

Fair Use:
  • A big yellow train at the platform, a smattering of celebratory statements and Brightline’s inaugural run set off Friday morning, dignitaries aboard, for a high-speed ride down the rails to Fort Lauderdale and back.

Some politicos acknowledged disappointment the company failed to finish construction of whatever’s required for horn-free running but no protesters materialized. Mayor Jeri Muoio’s absence was the most visible expression of city annoyance at the rail line’s last-minute revelation it would continue blasting horns through intersections for at least a few more months before completing its Quiet Zone work.

Nonetheless the mood was laudatory.

“When you do something this bold, this big, you can’t expect everything to be perfect,” City Commissioner Paula Ryan told the gathering of officials at the launch. “This is going to change the feel of the city for 100 years
OK, I concede; I never dreamed this day would come, but let's be honest, volks; what we have here at present is a Disneyland ride that hasn't a prayer of providing needed transportation through the Gold Coast region. Some may hold that serving Miami will make it economically viable as a Miami-WP "Super Shuttle".

I contend otherwise.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here's the latest:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/new-brightline-first-ride-fort-lauderdale-takes-off-hours-after-tragic-pedestrian-death/V5htwjEcBQ0bAJiOFy0H9N/

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
That's the rub, Mr. Palmland. I will not have a car. I was simply going to use Metrorail and Mover from/to the Airport. The concert venue is .25 mile from the Marriott and the Mover station is half that distance.

THIS is the time to download the Uber app to your smart phone.

1) No fare disputes with driver. Exact fare quoted online in advance & billed to your credit card once trip completed. No cash.
2) A map lets you track the progress of the driver prior to reaching you.
3) The driver has online access to the best directions to your destination. No worries that he or she may not speak English well enough to follow your directions or take you a tourist on a more expensive route.

I've used Urber a number of times in the Miami, Sunny Isles & Adventura areas & have been totally satisfied.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 344 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Nadeau, I haven't ruled out the joyride. I've thought about a rental, but good luck getting and returning one Downtown on a Sunday.

Taking a taxicab up and back to FtL (or Uber, which I've never used in this life) would be a case of how much do I value my time - taxicabs ain't cheap in Miami $83.50 EACH WAY - neither are rented autos, although I remember the days when they were.

MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uber and Lyft have one huge problem: they rely totally on GPS, and if you need to be picked up at a large campus ptr fscility, you cannot tell the driver exactly where to pick you up or drop you off, as GPS can only accept street addresses, and cannot accept any other info, not even "Pick me up or drop me off at the (NE or SW, etc.) corner of X St. and Y St." GPS puts a pin on the map exactly where its program tells it that street address is, and that is where the driver will go.

I know this because I have used Lyft, and it is very frustrating. There is really no substitute for a really good taxi driver who knows the area and speaks your language -- which is very hard to find these days. But it is what we all need and deserve.

GBN --
Thanks for the explanation of why neither a rental or a taxi would work for you. None of that was obvious to me. I hope you get to ride Brightline some day.

I, too,hope Bridghtline can succeed, and will wait and see what happens.

(Has the rising ocean level impacted Brightline at all? Is it likely to in the near future? Just wondering.....)

Posts: 162 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MargaretSPfan:
There is really no substitute for a really good taxi drier who knows the area and speaks your language -- which is very hard to find these days.

Totally off topic:
Ques:What is the main difference between a New York taxi driver and a Singapore taxi driver? Ans:You know the Singapore taxi driver will be able to speak English.

Posts: 2573 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, your comment about formerly inexpensive rentals in Florida reminded me of our first Florida trip with the boys in 1980. For $495 we got a RT to Orlando from Richmond in a bedroom down, coach return with a 7 day rental car, which we returned to Ft. Lauderdale. That was my last trip on a train with steam lines and no HEP. I believe it was also the last time we used a baggage car as it had our camping gear for Disney and the Keys.
Posts: 2180 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From the Palm Beach Post, here is a "human interest" article:

Fair Use:
  • For now, the train ride is enough. Brightline appears to be proving, at least for now, that it’s the journey, not the destination that counts.

And that’s the way it was for a lot of people on this, the first long weekend of train service for Brightline, a train that is expected to be a link between South Florida’s three big coastal cities and Orlando, but for now is just a gleaming new train service with just two stops
While the reporter did not use the phrase, so far it appears that AAF is a Disneyland ride (and from what I've learned, a whale of a lot cheaper than same is up the road). That will soon subside, and what remains to be told is how many will show up to ride during the next phase - a Miami-WP "Super Shuttle".
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order to stay on topic I will say that I am hoping for Bright Line's success. I have a son on the east coast of Florida and nephew on the west coast. I try to schedule a once a year trip to see them but the traffic is so unpleasant that I may cease my trips. It amazes me that the people in Florida cannot see the advantage of a good system of passenger rail.
I ran across an article this morning in the Daily Beast (www.thedailybeast.com/america-could-stop-half-of-train-crashes-heres-why-it-doesnt). It is not a very encouraging picture of the passenger train's near future in this country. Worth a read.
As to Uber I have had one experience with the service. We like to go to Kansas City from St. Louis via Amtrak. One of our favorite trips is to see the Cardinals play the Royals. We always stay in a downtown hotel. I have used a rental car, a taxi, and on the last trip, Uber to get to the stadium. Rating the three modes of conveyance I would say that Uber has them beat on all counts. Uber picked us up promptly at our hotel. The driver, a very clean cut young man, did not use the usual interstate route, but took an alternate route free of much of the congestion. The return trip was even more remarkable. As we exited the stadium, along with thousands of people, one of our party "Ubered" and within a few nminutes a car pulled up. Different driver but similar clean cut appearance. He also took an alternate route back to our hotel. The price was much lower than rental or taxi. I should add that the Royals stadium is a fairly good distance out of the city. I realize that different cities may have different situations.
We will find out this summer when we take my grandson to Washington D.C. and Philadelphia to take in the significant sights. We will be riding Lincoln Service, Capitol Limited, and regional trains.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Iron, here is a perfected link to the Daily Beast material you noted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/america-could-stop-almost-half-of-train-crashes-heres-why-it-doesnt?ref=home

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Beast article is, well typical for the Beast. Mostly if you think all problems can be solved by adding somehow one more layer of control, they are there. Generally it is mostly things already said warmed over.
Posts: 2573 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Regrettably, I must note the Palm Beach Post reports that there has been a second fatal Grade X-ing incident. This incident occurred at Boynton Beach which is about ten miles South of W-Palm.

Hardly saying this is about to happen, and I'd like for it not to as I'm "coming down" in a little more than a week and am considering taking a joyride Jan 28, somebody is going to say "shut 'er down" until such time that AAF provides meaningful transportation beyond Disneyland joyrides. For at the moment with these two fatalities, both occurring within Palm Beach County that has yet to enact "QZ", the "public nuisance" (that is a legal term lest we forget) could well be heard.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page