RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip Report Silver Meteor

Author Topic: Trip Report Silver Meteor
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

Yesterday (Friday, 16 January) we rode train #97, the Silver Meteor, from JAX (Jacksonville, FL) to MIA (Miami, Florida).

We were headed from a family visit to Miami to board Celebrity Reflection today for B2B Caribbean cruises -- our first 14 nights at sea in 2015.

We were dropped off at the modern and clean JAX AMTRAK station about an hour before scheduled departure time. When we checked in the very friendly and efficient agent told us that the good news was that our train would probably be on time but that the line south was blocked by a CSX freight that had engine problems just north of the station. Train #91, The Silver Star, had been stuck behind it for several hours and that explained the large number of people in the waiting area.

AMTRAK put out coffee and bottled water for everyone to enjoy while we waited.

After about 20 minutes we heard the growl of an engine followed by the delayed freight train and #91.

Our train arrived basically on time and we quickly boarded Car 9711, Roomette #1. Our attendant, Avia, suggested we that if we hurried we could still have breakfast in the diner.

We had already had breakfast of a sort at our hotel but I wanted to see what they were offering. There wasn't much left but I enjoyed the French Toast with pork sausage and Norm had the Continental Breakfast. We visited with a nurse from Conneticut who was going to FLL to see a friend. She does not fly and was in coach but said next time she would get a sleeper.

We returned to our roomette and settled in. I'd forgot how "cosy" these rooms are for two tall people during the day. We figured out seating positions that worked and spent the rest of the morning enjoying the pine trees and palmettos.

We had a 2:00PM Lunch Reservation and, again, there was a limited selection but I had the cheeseburger with a side salad and Norm had the Italian Style meatballs which were huge and, he said, very tasty. We passed on dessert and headed back to the sleeper where Avia had made up the upper bunk for a nap for Norm. He mentioned how much nicer it was than the upper on a Superliner -- not nearly as claustrophobic with the greater ceiling clearance and windows helping a lot.

We had bought some wine in the Cafe Car and enjoyed that before our arrival into Miami's modern and clean station.

Our checked bags arrived quickly (The had been "lost" on the way to JAX from SBA and didn't arrive at the hotel until 6:00PM the next night.) We used UBER for the first time and had Dora from Colombia as our driver in her near new, very clean Chevy Traverse. The fare to our hotel (Fairfield Inn and Suites South) was $12.00 including tip but it was comped because we had a code that was given to us by a friend to take care of our first UBER experience. We will use them again.

We had a good night's rest and are ready to head down to the included breakfast and then to the Cruise Port around noon.

All in all this was a very positive AMTRAK experience. The lack of much choice in the diner was due to our late boarding and selection of the last seating for lunch. Even at the end of a long four day trip the Miami based crew were cheerful and helpful.

Train #91 finally arrived almost 3 hours late in Miami.

Frank in sunny and warm MIA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This experience clearly shows what I have consistently held over the years I have participated at this site. The Roomette simply is a one adult accommodation that (wisely I'll say) can accommodate two persons. But those persons should not be on the "elder" side and who want and have ability to pay for more comfort.

Also can't help but note how one ordered the CONTINENTAL Breakfast. Maybe, just maybe, the Attendant craft will finally be "united" in brother and sisterhood (interesting how the Delta Attendants are now thinking twice about representation).

Finally on Uber; I fear come April, I likely may find myself in one of those. I never would on my own, but I'm scheduled to have a "destination Brooklyn" visit with my Niece. It would be a fly to JFK (likely JetBlue as United has no nonstop; I at least know my way sort of around ORD Terminal 2 where they use) and she and her husband are in to all that kind of stuff (they've even let a spare room in their "pad" out through AirBnB; so have my two Nephews also in Bklyn).

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is "Uber?"

Also, Frank -- it appears that you guys were on Train #91, not #97, as you indicated at the top of your post. Or were you? Did your train stop at Tampa between Jacksonville and Miami?

Anyway, I'm glad you had a good experience!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich, I think your response means that you simply would not ever use Uber or Lyft. Well neither would I, but my Niece is so into all these "sharing" services, that come April when I'm scheduled to visit her and my Nephews in "their habitat" I'd best be in a "when in Brooklyn. do as the Brooklynites do" state of mind.

I'm also not into staying at Best Westerns, but Anne says one of such is closet to her pad, and I'm playing Ms.Sojourner on that trip - no rental car .

I learned during 2009 at my Nephew's "round two" wedding that not all that many Yellow Cabs venture about Brooklyn. When at that wedding the Rock DJ was warming up, I knew it was was time for Adios. The restaurant in DUMBO called me a car service whose rate did not seem out of line. Anycase I had my first and likely last ride over the Brooklyn Bridge, and was soon at GCT and MNRR to my hotel in Greenwich.

All told, somehow I think I'm going to feel like the parents of any of the HoBO "Girls " feel when venturing over to that side of the East River.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nicest way to go from DUMBO area to Midtown Manhattan is NY Waterways--lovely views. It stops a bit south of DUMBO, actually, near the Brooklyn Bridge; it then stops in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and LI City (by Hunter's Point; there's an attractive new park area there) before heading across the river, letting you off near the foot of E34, from where you can walk or, on weekdays, take the free ferry shuttle from the ferry landing to elsewhere in Midtown.

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is very nice too(though the fumes on the bridge can get you!) The sign as you go from Manhattan to Brooklyn says "Entering Brooklyn--How sweet it is!" (quoting Ralph Kramden, who also now has a statue in front of the Port Authority Terminal).

Incidentally, when you depart the great borough on the Williamsburg Bridge, a sign now says "Leaving Brooklyn--Oy Vay!"

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This long-ago transplanted Brooklynite (Williamsburg - born at Greenpoint Hospital eons ago) is feeling quite stupid. I know what Uber is, but have no idea what DUMBO means. My bad.

I also know that my family's little "flat" on top of a drugstore which rented for probably $50/month in the late 40's is now for sale for about $1.5 million, thanks to "gentrification."

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
DUMBO = Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass. Well, at least that is what my Niece says. I think she lives in the Prospect Park area, as this Best Western has an address on 4th Ave (I like to think my Smithie Little Niece has a bit more cranial stuff than any of those nitwits in "Girls" - a series I gave up on about two seasons ago).

Save that wedding, the last time I had set foot in Brooklyn was with my Father at Ebbets Field - and Mike, and apparently Ms. Sojourner as well, surely knows when the Bums bailed out.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
This experience clearly shows what I have consistently held over the years I have participated at this site. The Roomette simply is a one adult accommodation that (wisely I'll say) can accommodate two persons. But those persons should not be on the "elder" side and who want and have ability to pay for more comfort....

Quite agree that a roomette is best for one passenger as Mr. Pullman intended. However on a short overnight a roomette it is fine for two. Why spend money if you don't have too. But on a Transcon trip with my wife, I'll take a bedroom any day.

I believe a roomette for two is best suited for those who are reasonably agile and of average size. I've seen many who are definitely not 'elders' who would have a tough time negotiating the limited space and upper berth. Perhaps being in the 'elder' category I am a bit sensitive to the term but thankful that I can still slither into a top bunk in a Superliner roomette.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Thanks Mr. Palmland, for getting this discussion back on topic. I apologize for the Brooklyn "diversions".
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Track: Frank, I meant to ask, if you were 3 hours late, was dinner also available to sleeper PAX? Also, were you on the Silver Star per your post or Silver Meteor per your title. Thanks!

Off Track: DUMBO is a fairly new usage. It all started with SOHO, but now there's lots of these area acronyms in NYC and elsewhere (NOHO is another in NYC, and TriBeCa along the same lines). I heard they added the O in DUMBO so it wouldn't be just DUMB.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
This experience clearly shows what I have consistently held over the years I have participated at this site. The Roomette simply is a one adult accommodation that (wisely I'll say) can accommodate two persons. But those persons should not be on the "elder" side and who want and have ability to pay for more comfort....

Quite agree that a roomette is best for one passenger as Mr. Pullman intended. However on a short overnight a roomette it is fine for two. Why spend money if you don't have too. But on a Transcon trip with my wife, I'll take a bedroom any day.

I believe a roomette for two is best suited for those who are reasonably agile and of average size. I've seen many who are definitely not 'elders' who would have a tough time negotiating the limited space and upper berth. Perhaps being in the 'elder' category I am a bit sensitive to the term but thankful that I can still slither into a top bunk in a Superliner roomette.

Amtrak basically took a traditional "roomette", added a seat on the other side, crammed in a sink/toilet, and then installed an upper bunk by increasing the height (slightly) of the car. One can easily compare the width and length to a traditional Budd Roomette.

Given that Amtrak only got the "50" Viewliners they created a sleeper that could "stuff'em" in. There's only 4 bedrooms (when two Viewliner Sleepers are in service) compared to 10 (when two Superliners are in service). And those 4 bedrooms get priced at a premium - and are smaller than a regular Superliner Bedroom (let alone right over the wheels).

Surprising Amtrak orders 25 additional Viewliners of the same configuration as opposed to trying to get more bedrooms out of the configuration - which would be highly desirable.

There are couples who book two roomettes as opposed to taking just "one" roomette because they don't want to be crammed in.

The Viewliner just tries to offer maximum occupancy when, as Mr. Norman has noted, the roomette really is just for "one" person.

I have to wonder if Amtrak got the original "100" it was planning on if it would have designed more of a 10-6 sleeper, based more off of the old Heritage 10-6 configuration. They still could have put the upper bunk in to create a double occupancy out of the traditional roomette.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings from St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. --

We were on the Silver Meteor. We did not go to Tampa. It was the Star that took the three hour delay. Both trains were stuck behind the dead freight but as soon as it was moved they were on the way. No dinner for us. And breakfast and lunch both had a lot of unavailable items. I guess there is no restocking downline and the through pax must have been very hungry!

Yesterday we were in Sint Maarten and caught a cab out to Maho Beach to watch planes land and take off at SXM, Princess Juliana International Airport. We sat in the beach bar drinking Caribe beer and watching about 1,000 people be sprayed with jet exhaust and sand. Great fun. The highlights were take off of a KLM 747 to AMS and the arrival of an Air France A340 from CDG. There were several aircraft (Delta, JetBlue and United) parked and not going anywhere because of the storm in the North East.

UBER is a car service operated by private drivers in their own cars. It's all computer based and worked very well on our first try. Norm is considering doing it in Santa Barbara when his retirement comes through from United.

We fly home from MIA on Saturday after two sea days.

Frank in sunny and warm St. Thomas

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
IDIOTS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV21f1MZ5iU

Be it assured, the two times in this life I've been to Saint Martin, I've had "other things" to do.

If an A-320 can kick things up like that, don't think it wise to be around for anything larger. But evidently as Frank found out, not all heed that advice.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Maybe we can have discussion of air travel unrelated to "plane to the train" over here:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/45/31.html

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page