RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Convenient Amtrak classic hotels

Author Topic: Convenient Amtrak classic hotels
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since our forum is unusually quiet these days, thought I would mention a couple hotels that are a destination in themselves that we enjoyed recently.

We have often talked on the forum about the hotels at Glenwood Springs. We were able to work this into our recent trip and thoroughly enjoyed the town. While the Lodge seems to get the most favorable reviews for its proximity to the hot springs and the Hotel Denver is perhaps more upscale with its downtown location, the Hotel Colorado suited us fine. A great old hotel also directly across from the springs and a short walk across the pedestrian bridge to the train station. Yes it is a bit frayed and no AC but still is a real classic with a couple good restaurants (the patio was great). Gotta love hotels that have real lobbies, reading rooms, with huge hallways and very high ceilings in the rooms. Very nice to open the windows and get the cool mountain breezes at night (but get a room overlooking the terrace, not a street).

-

-

-

We have often talked about the great food at LaPosada in Winslow, but a real surprise was the 1926 Holland Hotel in Alpine, TX. Another real classic hotel across from the station but the surprise was the outstanding food. A young Dutch couple now runs it (he's the chef, she's GM) and it was absolutely the best steak I've had in recent memory. Amtrak's flat iron steak isn't even in the ballpark with this one. Several interesting shops in town, a crew change for Amtrak and some of the UP freights, the McDonald Observatory and Big Bend NP not too far away.

-

-

Finally, I heard that the Plaza hotel in Las Vegas, NM has been substantially upgraded with a good restaurant - thanks to Alan Alfeldt, owner of La Posada. He did this prior to tackling the old Harvey House hotel in town, Castaneda Hotel - a work very much still in progress.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really interesting photos, Mr. Palmland. Thanks for posting.

The Hotel Colorado is an interesting and historic hotel. Teddy Roosevelt stayed there and W.H. Taft came there in his private passenger train car.

I stayed there about 20 years ago. I really enjoyed the patio area and lobby. However, my overall impression wasn't favorable. The food wasn't good and the rooms were in sad shape. However, I thought, at that time, the hotel was ripe for renovation. From pictures I have seen, especially of the rooms, it looks like they have upgraded everything and I understand the food is much better.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My review of The Hotel Denver that Mr. Palmland noted:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33446-d83225-r203349180-Hotel_Denver-Glenwood_Springs_Colorado.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have recommendations for frugal one-night hotels near the stations in Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC? I'm thinking of a trip to the Pacific Northwest about this time next year.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Portland area:

http://trip.amtrak.com/hotel_searches/15241206

Vancouver, BC area:

http://trip.amtrak.com/hotel_searches/15241209

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I was surprised by the good food. We had planned to eat in town, but after many miles we decided to try the restaurant on the patio. Just what we needed - good dinner next to the sounds of a relaxing fountain. A short stroll had us in the Hot Springs for a couple hours in the evening. So relaxing.

You do take your chances with old hotels, but this one was well worth it. The only caveats: go in fall or spring so hot weather isn't a problem in the hotel (it wasn't for us, although we did use a fan for a couple hours) and and get a room assay from the city street for more quiet and a view of the terrace area and springs. Finally, we grabbed a breakfast to go in the coffee shop - it was good but beware the Germanic lady who rules it with an iron hand.

WE plan a return but for two nights rather than one.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Bowen -- most of the hotels in Portland are downtown, and reachable from Portland Union station by either taxicab or MAX light rail. I am not sure how close to the station the MAX is, but the downtown area of Portland is across the river from the AMTRAK station. I seem to recall seeing at least one MAX station on the "AMTRAK side" of the river when I was there on my trip last year. The best hotels in town are probably the ones near the Convention Center.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I was going to post a photo of the Glenwood Springs Amtrak station, one of my favorites. I couldn't find the website that I was looking for.

Does anyone have, available, the Japanese site for photos of North American train stations? I did have it as a "favorite", but no longer.

Richard

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I will answer my own post. I found the website. I don't know if it is a Japanese website, but I think of it as a good reference to various North American train stations:

http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/

Here are the photos of the Glenwood Springs depot:

http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/glenwood.htm

I want to get back there, one of these days.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
... but the downtown area of Portland is across the river from the AMTRAK station

Rich, while I haven't set foot in Portland since 1973, I do not recall X-ing any river walking from Union Station to the Hilton.

A peek at Mr. Google's cartography would support that recollection of mine.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, in Vancouver, a SkyTrain (rapid transit) station is visible as you exit Pacific Central Station (Amtrak, Via, Greyhound, etc.). This leads you within a few minutes to downtown.

Although the area near the station has improved greatly in recent years (lots of upscale development), nearly all the hotels closest to the station are either in nearby Skid Road or should be.

In recent years, I have stayed at the City Centre motel on Main Street a few blocks south of the station and it was clean and reasonably comfortable if you're not fussy, but in most cases I believe you can find a better deal downtown and be in a nicer and more interesting area.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, loved your post!

Mr. Bowen, in Vancouver, a SkyTrain (rapid transit) station is visible as you exit Pacific Central Station (Amtrak, Via, Greyhound, etc.). This leads you within a few minutes to downtown.

Although the area near the station has improved greatly in recent years (lots of upscale development), nearly all the hotels closest to the station are either in nearby Skid Road or should be.

In recent years, I have stayed at the City Centre motel on Main Street a few blocks south of the station and it was clean and reasonably comfortable if you're not fussy, but in most cases I believe you can find a better deal downtown and be in a nicer and more interesting area.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, if I make this trip I will be arriving Vancouver on the late Cascade at 10:50 p.m. (or later!). I need to find a simple place to crash for the night before heading to Victoria, my real destination, the next morning.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman -- I do not know where the Hilton is in Portland, since I rarely stay at that "brand" of hotel. I stated in my post that MOST hotels are downtown, across the Willamette River, not EVERY hotel in town. I do know that the Convention Center is across the river, and there are many hotels near it.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page