RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sacriledge from the NewYork Times

Author Topic: Sacriledge from the NewYork Times
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/nyregion/longing-for-the-old-penn-station-in-the-end-it-wasnt-so-great.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside- nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region®ion=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Mr. Nicholson, in the interest of efficiency, the link can be trimmed from the ? following the html tag as that relates to the search at The Times, and many others as well, site. The following shortened link will return the content:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/nyregion/longing-for-the-old-penn-station-in-the-end-it-wasnt-so-great.html

Secondly, as one who used Old Penn on enough occasion as a paying passenger, it was a dilapidated dump, and I wholly concur with the article. The "flying Saucer" ticket arcade was a joke. It was simply a means to free the former ticket cages for concessions and have the space diagrams available to an agent by closed circuit TV (and it wasn't HD) of what was normally held on a carousel. Making off line, or even return, reservations was unchanged from the "we'll have to wire for that space; come back in two or three days" way of doing things. I can recall standing around for an hour while they rounded up the wires for a bit of a diverse trip NY-Marion, IA (NY-PRR/RFP-Rich; Rich-C&O-Cin; Cin-L&N-Mem; Mem-IC-Chi; Chi-MILW-Marion) during 1962; what an ordeal added to by my Father's litany of "why don't you just fly like everybody else does?".

Aside from "half baked" cleaning of the walls "man high", the skylights had to be painted over during WWII, but do you think when the war was over, did anyone ever clean them off?

Sacrilege no, factual yes.

But with the above being said, I do wish to thank you for locating that material. Even if Gray Lady proclaims that she has "All the News That's Fit to Print", for reasons known only to her, such was not "fit" for the Chicago Edition. I cannot find it in either Yesterday's or Today's paper.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerome & Gil -- every time someone posts a link to the New York Times on this site, I read the link, but when I go back to the Train Web thread, neither names of contributors or anything in the bottom panel after "From:..........." shows up. To get back on track (sorry for the pun!), I have to log out, then open Train Web again.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerone ---
Thank you very much for that link to that fascinating article. I had no idea that Penn Station had been so mistreated and despoiled. But that despoliation was no justification for its destruction. I never saw it. I grieve for Penn Station and for all the glorious buildings that have been torn down -- -- in the name of "progress" or because the monies to preserve them could not be found. ( Gee --somehow there always seems to be no problem in finding gigantic amounts of money for Death & Destruction, Inc. -- aka war -- but rarely can anyone find even pennies to preserve magnificent old buildings.) Sigh.....

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems we've heard this before:
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2016/01/06/cuomo_expected_to_announce_plan_for_penn_station_overhaul.php

I never saw the original Penn Station: I was 15 when it was demolished and I made my first trip to New York ib 1971 when I was 21. Maybe I'll see the new one before I die of old age?

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tearing down Penn Station one of the five worst days in NYC history.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner;

1) 9/11
2) "Drop Dead"
3) ?
4) ?
5) Demolition Old Penn

Otherwise, here might be a runaround of The Times' paywall and allow free reading of the famous Oct 30, 1963 editorial regarding Old Penn.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Ms. Sojourner;

1) 9/11
2) "Drop Dead"
3) ?
4) ?
5) Demolition Old Penn

Otherwise, here might be a runaround of The Times' paywall and allow free reading of the famous Oct 30, 1963 editorial regarding Old Penn.

(3) The 1863 Draft Riots

(4) the 1929 Stock Market Crash.

You might squeeze in the 1911 Triangle Factory Fire somewhere in there.
Anyone else?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page