RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » EB to ESM next summer

Author Topic: EB to ESM next summer
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need some opinion and guidance. Next summer I am planning a trip on the EB to the Izaak Walton Inn. I have already traveled on the TE, SWC, and CZ. The EB will complete my "bucket list" western trips. Has anyone traveled on on the EB lately? I was wondering about the condition of the cars, service, and timely performance. I thought that due to the demise of the oil business the traffic situation might have improved.
Also, I must admit I am a bit confused about the new Viewliner cars. Are they going to appear on the western routes or are they exclusively east coast?
Thanks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, IM
Does October count as "recent"? If so, the trip was fine, and I agree with your assessment that the oil patch has slowed. The train was on time. Also, no chance that the viewliners will take over by next summer.
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Iron, the only new Single Level "Viewliner" cars assigned to the Western routes are the V-Bags. They are already in consist; all 70 have now been delivered.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iron Mtn -- I don't really believe that the North Dakota oil boom has slowed recently; however, BNSF has done a tremendous amount of track work and ROW expansion and maintenance in the last 2 or 3 years, to ease the congestion in western ND. When I rode the EB in 2014, we were about 4 hours late into PDX, and at that time, that was quite common with no guaranteed connection to the CS in PDX. However, I have heard that the timekeeping on the EB has improved substantially in the last year or two.

Enjoy the Izaak Walton! My wife and I stayed there in 2006. It is a BEAUTIFUL lodge right next to the BNSF mainline, and a haven for railfans, hikers, blueberry pickers, and other outdoor-type people -- also you can catch one of the red "Jammer" busses at Izaak Walton for one of their many tours through Glacier Park (but you need to reserve your spot on the Jammer early -- like 6 months ahead of time!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IM, you'll love both the EB and Glacier. We were there two years ago so can't speak to its current operation. But the scenery hasn't changed and it was great, even the prairie states.

A couple suggestions:
Do take the EB eastbound through the park, which means at least Whitefish to East Glacier. We were on it westbound so it got pretty dark near Whitefish but what a great trip and one you can't see from the highway. The NP narrator in the SSL was excellent - don't miss it. Eastbound you're almost guaranteed good daylight.

The Issac Walton is certainly railfan heaven. We enjoyed lunch there and toured the grounds. Renting one of the cabooses looks fun, especially if you have family. But, we really enjoyed the Belton Lodge. It's located at the western entrance to the park (Amtrak calls it West Glacier). The lodge is next to the track and lots of action. A passing siding ends there just before a long tunnel. Our room had a nice balcony a short distance from the track and a short walk to the station. The best thing about it was the great food, rated one of the best in the park and has a nice deck for dinner or drinks almost next to the track.

If you take the train in from the west and through the park, East Glacier is an interesting small town with a couple good restaurants (not fancy) and a seasonal Avis rental office. The east side of the park has a better view of the mountains and good hiking trails. Of course the iconic National Park East Glacier Lodge is a short distance from town with a red jammer meeting the train for their guests.

Lots of good hiking trails deep into the mountains from the Many Glacier lodge north of the town of East Glacier and a good lunch spot for another iconic NP lodge.

We were there in late May so the park wasn't crowded, lots of snow on the peaks, and easy to get reservations for red jammers. I do wish we had waited a couple weeks as the Going to the Sun highway had not yet opened and it would still have been before the summer crush.

You'll have a great time.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Mr. Palmland that it is probably a more scenic trip eastbound, on the Empire Builder, compared to westbound. I especially liked Seattle to Glacier Park., You travel through some scenic little towns such Sultan, Gold Bar, and Leavenworth. Portland to Spokane is also very scenic along the Columbia Gorge. I will say, however, that westbound to Seattle/Portland is very scenic around the time of the summer solstice. Sundown is very late, usually after 10 PM, and you get to see Glacier and beyond to Whitefish in daylight. Speaking of Whitefish, don't miss this little town if you have time to drive around. I'm not sure, but I think the Izaak Walton Inn has car rentals but you may have to return the car to the Izaak Walton, afterward.

Mr. Palmland, you mentioned Belton Lodge. I've always wanted a trip to Belton Lodge (Apgar stop) and I hear the food is very good. Do they allow early check-ins or late check-outs at the Belton Lodge? It would be nice for eastbound on the Builder. Belton is near a departure site for the red jammer busses.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon -- yes the Izaak Walton has limited rental cars available, and yes, you DO have to return them to Izaak Walton. The closest spot to rent one-way autos is the Kalispell Airport, approximately 10 miles west of Izaak Walton.

When my wife and i toured Glacier in 2006, we took the EB to Essex, stayed a couple days, then rented a car at Izaak Walton to get us to the Kalispell Airport. We got a long-distance one way rental car at the airport; I drove it back to Izaak Walton, and my wife drove the Izaak Walton rental car back. We then drove from Izaak Walton south through Yellowstone, Colorado, New Mexico, and ended up at Flagstaff where we visited the Grand Canyon one day, then turned the car in at our hotel, then caught the SWC back home.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Richard, the entrance to the park and visitor center on the west slope is less than a mile away on the other side of the tracks. From there you can go around Lake McDonald, to the lodge by that name, and then over the Going to the Sun highway.

Here are a few photos. The restaurant/lounge is in the foreground of the first photo with the two cabins to the left and the inn just behind them. The second photo show our balcony and tracks very visible through the tree. Also a photo of the station (no staff, but a nice little museum) and then a tour of one of the lakes on the east slope we took from East Glacier Lodge via Red Jammer.

This is a great old historic (100 years old) that was GN's first hotel in the park built to attract tourist and long before any roads. But, don't expect fancy amenities and bathroom is small. But good service and you feel like you're staying in a friends home.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice photos, Mr. Palmland.

I almost made it to the Izaac Walton Inn this past summer, but I had to change my plans at the last moment. I had originally booked a lodge room, but it looks like there are also some interesting cabin and caboose rooms at varying prices. I wonder if trains and train whistles would keep you awake, all night, if you chose a caboose room, compared to a room at the lodge?

I like to think ahead. I'm going on a paddle boat cruise down the Snake and Columbia Rivers, next summer. For the summer of 2017, possibly I could make it to the Izaak Walton. I wonder if you can rent a car at Apgar? I know the Kalispell airport and Whitefish have car rentals. I was thinking of renting a car at Apgar and driving over to the Izaak Walton Inn, for one night. Then back to Apgar for a night at the Belton Lodge before returning on the Builder.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to another train publication, BNSF has double v - tracked much of the problem areas, so there are no more choke points. The EB was even ahead of schedule a couple of times, and had to wait for schedule. Even if the oil business picks up again, there should be no problem.
The on board crew also came in for much praise, even though the wine tastings and other amenities have been axed. The writer actually had more problems on the Canadian going back East!

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Yukon -- you shouldn't have any problem at IW with train noise keeping you awake at night. When we were there, we stayed in the main lodge, but our room overlooked the RR, and all we heard were a few locomotives idling in the yard over night -- very few train whistles.
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were in Essex in August, 2010. The Izaak Walton Inn is wonderful. Their meals are delicious. We booked tours at the Inn and were very pleased with it. I think the company was Red bus (?) tours. They used restored, improved original touring vehicles. We also rented a car for 2 days. Didn't have a problem getting a rental.
We took the train in Trenton, NJ, then changed in Washington, D.C. for the Capitol Ltd. to Chicago. Did an overnight there. Then continued on the Empire Builder to Essex. The scenery was nice, but improved when the train reached the mountains which was later in the day of arrival in Essex.
Then continued to Portland,OR for a few days. Departure from Essex westbound was in the evening, so we saw scenery the next morning as the train rode along side of the river before arrival in Portland.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip Advisor members appear to be positive about their stays at Issak Walton. While I would guess those around here who either have or plan to stay would naturally be upbeat, it is pleasing to see that a more "diverse" group beyond railfans think positively of the property.

I've never stayed there, but my Brother in Law and Niece have during August 2004. They were doing a "fly and rent" but did not have advance hotel reservations. Of course they attempted to stay in the Park, but there were no vacancies. However, someone gave them a referral to Issak Walton.

He could care less about trains; if Metro North gets him into town, more or less on time, that is the extent of his concern about railroads. His room was away from the tracks. My Niece's was facing the tracks; "those trains kept me awake all night" was her comment. When I told her that hotel was a railfan's mecca, she figured it was and took for me a photo of a BNSF Container train (EW or WW I know not).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page