RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Seattle Hotels-Belton Chalet

Author Topic: Seattle Hotels-Belton Chalet
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of a trip, on the Empire Builder, from Seattle to Apgar, MT (West Glacier). I'm not sure when, possibly next summer or beyond, and I have some questions.

I note that the Builder leaves Seattle at 4:40 PM. If I arrive the day before, are there certain hotels which are especially accommodating with regard to late checkouts? I would like to check out not earlier than, let's say, 3PM, to avoid a long wait at the King St. Stn. I don't think the expensive hotels are, necessarily, the most accommodating. I once stayed at the Westin and they were very reluctant in granting late checkouts.

Is there a lounge room, now, at the King St. station?

In Apgar, I would like to stay at the Belton Chalet the first night, drive over to the Izaak Walton for the 2nd night stay, then back to the Belton Chalet for the 3rd and final day. I have heard there is a "Dollar" car rental available in Apgar. True? I may also want to drive over to Whitefish. I kind of gather about a half-hour drive between Apgar and Whitefish and also about a half-hour drive between Apgar and Essex. Is this true?

Back in Seattle, there is a Ruth's Chris restaurant at or near the Grand Hyatt, downtown. I haven't been to a Ruth's Chris restaurant. Is it worth the effort?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seattle hotels are EXPENSIVE!!

You could possibly check on places further out that are convenient to the light rail or even one of the Sounder trains.

Don't know much specific as I have only been there twice, both job related. For one of these took the Coast Starlight back to San Francisco, so late check out was not an issue.

Note, if you are flying in, the Seattle airport seems to not have discovered moving sidewalks, so be prepared for lots of hiking. This is particularly true if leaving the airport on the light rail. It is on the far side of a huge parking garage. Late evening hikes to there are somewhat creepy.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't encountered long hikes, George, at the Seattle airport. I took Alaska AL from Santa Rosa to Seattle, in Aug, and it was smooth sailing and fairly quick to the main terminal.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to e-mail a few hotels and ask them how easy it would be to get a late check-out. The usual answer, however, is that it is possible but they can't guarantee it.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, as one who has been to all of the national chain steakhouses, Ruth's is darned good. However I think Capital Grille, a Darden property which has an outlet in Downtown Seattle, is better. Like any of them, expect to part with $100 per head, wine, tax, and tip inclusive.

Regarding late checkouts, your chances are better at major brands (only places I stay) if you are in their rewards plan. This past Thursday (a week ago) the Detroit Marriott granted me an hour extension to 1PM. However since a Detroit Symphony morning matinee Friday ran longer than expected (Leonard Slatkin wanted to talk to the patrons about the music that was to be performed), I wasn't back there until 130P. I was more concerned than they ever were.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I will have to check out the Capital Grille. I see it's on 4th near University. Not too far from the Seattle Sheraton, where I have stayed a few times and, from what I remember, were pretty lenient regarding late checkouts. The Capital Grille menu looks really good. Their steaks are expensive, in the $50 range. I don't know what the steaks at Ruth's Chris cost.

Richard

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, when are you traveling? If during Glacier NP season you might consider this option. Take the EB to East Glacier. This gives you the spectacular trip through the park. We especially liked the NP narration in the lounge car (but that does mean an early breakfast). A short walk from the station is the E. Glacier general store that also has an Avis desk. We rented there and found it very easy and convenient (but it is seasonal). We toured the park in our rental and took the EB back to Portland. We dropped the car off in Whitefish, and the Avis folks in Kalispell picked it up later.

The Belton Inn was our favorite hotel. For the railfan it was in a perfect location with a siding starting in front of it, just outside the tunnel under the very scenic mountains (our room with balcony had a good track view). The restaurant was excellent and the cocktail friendly trackside deck was perfect. Just remember it is an historic hotel so don't expect the amenities many think are vital (phone, tv, fridge, large bathroom). They had coffee in the morning which was our only requirement. Do get a room with a balcony looking out on the tracks from the second floor. If you have a larger party they have two cabins even closer to the track. Apgar village and entrance to the west side of the park is just a mile or so away. The station has a small museum in it.

Glacier is second only to Rocky Mountain NP as our favorite.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
I haven't encountered long hikes, George, at the Seattle airport. I took Alaska AL from Santa Rosa to Seattle, in Aug, and it was smooth sailing and fairly quick to the main terminal.

Don't know why the different experiences. My airline in and out was Southwest; that might be it.

By the way, my Starlight experience was excellent. Roomette not much more than plane fare, and on time till after I went to sleep. Came into Sacramento about one hour late, but picked up a little between there and Emeryville.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we stayed at the Izaak Walton several years ago, there were a few local rental cars available there, but you can only use them locally, around Glacier NP and maybe as far away as Kalispell or Whitefish. They need to be returned to Izaak Walton.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland: I considered stopping at East Glacier and renting a car. Yes, either the "Going To The Sun" road or highway 2 is really spectacular and scenic. I've taken both several times as I used to live 20 min east of E Glacier Park. I've never been to the Belton Chalet so I though that might be the main stop. It would also give me a short drive to Essex and Whitefish. I will take your advice regarding a room with a balcony. My plans, at this time, are very preliminary. I really want to take the Mountaineer to Lake Louise, I haven't been there in at least 15 years. It would mean I would postpone my Montana trip until the summer of '18.

George: Yes, the airline you take to Seattle may affect the walking distance within the airport. I may, with the Montana trip, take the Starlight back to Calif from Seattle to Martinez, CA as I haven't taken the CS for at least 8-9 years.

Rich: I did know that you can rent a car at the Izaak Walton and that is a possibility.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
I don't know what the steaks at Ruth's Chris cost.

Richard

Well I do, they're in the same range.

There is a food market in my backyard that sells USDA Prime Beef; last time I checked, Sirloin or Rib Eye was $26.99lb, so the $50 at any leading steakhouse is "par for the course".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off season hotel rates in Seattle are usually pretty reasonable but you will pay premium rates if you try to get a room during the summer tourist season. There are a couple of hotels (Embassy Suites by Hilton, Courtyard Marriot) within walking distance of the Tukwila Amtrak/Sounder platform. It's about a 15 minute train ride from downtown Seattle to Tukwila (weekdays only and the Starlight doesn't stop at Tukwila). Ask for a room facing the train tracks and you'll likely get a good view of BNSF and UP mainline action. But be forewarned: there's very little to do in Tukwila other than shop at chain stores or Westfield's Southcenter Mall.

Looking at online reviews, I see that the Capital Grille gets excellent ratings. I can also recommend the Metropolitan Grill or El Gaucho, both downtown Seattle classics. Daniel's Broiler has the best local views, but unfortunately the online reviews seem to suggest that management has allowed the standards to slip. Maybe check out Daniel's for a happy hour drink and appetizers.

The walk to the SeaTac light rail station isn't well marked and it can be exposed to the weather, but it doesn't seem excessively long to me. Of course, if you miss the tiny directional signs you may end up walking a lot further than necessary. The Port of Seattle wasn't keen on having light rail serve the airport and siphon money away from their parking facilities. The original plan was to build an AirBart type of arrangement between the Tukwila light rail station and the airport terminal, but common sense and public opinion overwhelmed the Port of Seattle's plans and the light rail line was extended to the actual airport. But that didn't mean that the Port was going to embrace light rail and put up signs that out-of-town tourists could actually find and follow.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Thanks for the information, Vincent.

I would have to think, eventually, that the King Street Station will have a Metropolitan Lounge on one of the the upper floors. With Seattle being a major terminal for 3 Amtrak trains and the Sounder, I hope a lounge will be in the planning, along with restaurants, shops, etc. I think it would be highly desirable to have a M. Lounge for passengers boarding the Builder headed east.

I have eaten at the El Gaucho Restaurant in Portland, adjacent to the Benson Hotel. A very good meal and their steak dinners are especially good. It will, however, set you back 100 pesos for a full meal, wine, and tip.

Richard

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry too much about late check out. Leave your bags with the bell captain and go sightseeing or to a local Starbucks-type place for Internet.

King Street, while beautifully restored, was not restored with the needs of travelers in mind. No Internet, no cafe, no snack bar/newsstand, no really comfortable seats. An architectural fail.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page