RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Calgary rides Amtrak in Style

Author Topic: Calgary rides Amtrak in Style
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Calgary Flames were travelling in style on Amtrak between Philadelphia and Washington:

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-flames-wear-vintage-clothing-on-train-trip-to-washington-dc/c-293129856?tid=281396148

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Looks like the Flames had a lot of fun on that trip. I wonder if any of the other Canadian NHL teams have taken a VIA train for a game in another Canadian city.

Too bad there isn't a passenger train from Calgary to Edmonton and the Flames archrival, the Edmonton Oilers. Could they charter a train..is there operable track between Calgary and Edmonton? I know a few years ago there was discussion of a high speed train between Edmonton and Calgary, but I don't think such plans were taken seriously.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.....a well maintained CP line to Edmonton. And being in Calgary.... they would have THE train for charter available. The Royal Canadian Pacific.....and their style would certainly fit!

http://www.royalcanadianpacific.com/luxury.html

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad they can't take a train to their home city!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the Canadian Pacific RR would allow some province sponsered DMU train sets to run from Calgary to Edmonton? The trip shouldn't take much more then 3.5 hours.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP had such a service using RDC's until "late in the game" and possibly into the VIA era. But considering that half of VIA's original route miles have been whacked, I doubt if the initiative is there. You can be sure that won't come from CP.

To my knowledge and unlike Amtrak, VIA does not have any provision within their enabling legislation to operate service in behalf of another party willing to pay for such.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
There's been talk over the years of constructing a HSR line down the centre of the Queen Elizabeth II Freeway between the two cities. But Alberta runs on oil and until prices rebound.......we probably won't see anything happen on that front.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page