RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Virgin Trains USA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Virgin Trains USA
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Brightline has progressed since its AAF days and seems to be a going concern, I thought it deserves its own topic.

The latest is this financial report that perhaps GBN can decipher for us. It would appear that this reflects a lot of overhead/ administrative costs so its hard to tell what the financials are for only the direct costs and revenues for the rail operations (reminds me of the days of the debate, pre Amtrak, on calculating the loss on passenger service).

Regardless, it is clear that for Brightline it’s all about leveraging their real estate investement with the train service. Not a bad business model. I guess it’s sort of the reverse of 150 years ago when the UP and others hoped to grow the rail business by supporting new towns and, much later, hotels.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that we have a topic regarding the affairs of Brightline Trains, LLC, allow me to address several points addressed by Mr. Palmland when opening this topic.

The Financials noted by Mr. Palmland and as reported by "friend of Brightline", Gannett Treasure Coast Newspapers, appears they are released, but I'm unable to locate them on the web. The First Quarter are there on a PDF file, but to link them, I'll have to go to my desktop to post a link to them. Maybe tomorrow.

Now poking around for additional material on Brightline affairs, I note this report by the public interest group, The Florida Bulldog. They seem to question, independent of any kind of "feeder" to enhance real estate interests, the viability of BLT.

I detect some degree of Kubler-Ross Phase V on the part of the Gannett Treasure Coast staff, but I do think that this material regarding the now approved $1.6B proposed issue of Private Activity Bonds is straight forward. Apparently, only a private placement is being considered, but it should be carefully noted that such placement must be completed by the end of this year. Three months and counting...tick...tock.

Now to address reporting by the McClatchy Miami Herald. This report simply can't be too earth-shaking in these days of our cynical political process.

Finally, The Herald had a softball interview with the new BLT CEO that hardly breaks any new ground

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it might be good to get back to a rail topic and I found this interesting link to a TV report on the progress of Brightline to Orlando. Saw this link on the Trainorders site.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little confused about why Brightline inaugurated its route on a route already served by Trirail. I know its faster, but still, seems to me they ought to have begun with Orlando south, or West Palm to Jupiter Beach and north, or Miami to Tampa (served only, and poorly, by Amtrak), or JAX to St Augustine to Daytona, or Sarasota to West Palm Beach, or Orlando to Tampa, or something like that. . . . (or LA to Vegas).

Also, other than being faster, what are the benefits of taking Brightline over TriRail? Are there more trains at better hours? Are the station locations in Fort Lauderdale and Miami a whole lot more convenient than the Trirail stations? When you get to the Miami Brightline station, is there some kind of shuttle to Miami Beach, or must one still take costly taxis?

And what's with plans to go to Orlando Airport but not anywhere else up there? I mean, Brightline is advertising itself as downtown to downtown, so why is it just going to Orlando airport?

If the airport is so attractive, how come it doesn't go to the airports in Fort Lauderdale and Miami? Are there shuttles? Isn't it convenient that the Florida TriRail goes to Miami Airport?

BTW, whatever happened to plans to move Miami's Amtrak station?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, Brightline and Tri-Rail have two distinct markets. Tri-Rail provides regional rail (commuter) within a service area defined by the boundaries of public funding, while Brightline is a private sector intercity passenger rail service that temporarily operates wholly within Tri Rail's service area.

As I noted, I have been highly skeptical of the initiative figuring that when first announced during '11, it was a ploy to sell the FEC Ry. to the State. To me, with all the public funds spent to make the South Florida ports "players" in a neo-PANAMAX environment, the State was the greatest party in interest to keeping that road independent, for having only one road serving a Port is cause enough for maritime companies to just "keep on sailing".

Obviously, I was very mistaken.

However, if Brightline is unsuccessful with their plans to "build out" to MCO (Orlando International Airport; once McCoy AFB), I doubt if they will be long for this world. The reason they chose to build to the Airport is that there are adequate automobile parking facilities so that passengers can be drawn from the entire region and not simply one municipality.

Brightline plans to expand service to Tampa, which would open a rail market that has never been served beyond the Amtrak innovation of the "one a day" Star and the prior Palm. But they would now have to deal with another railroad, CSX, that doesn't have too much reputation so far as "making nice" with passenger train operators.

Finally, regarding Amtrak using the Miami Airport Intermodal station, short of some "political leaning", "notagonna happen".

Prior discussion:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/8000.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Sojourner, I think the reason Brightline started with the Miami to W. Palm portion is that it was the easiest. The railroad was already there (Mr.Flager’s Florida East Coast RR) it jurst needed some upgrading to handle their trains. No environmental or regulatory requirements. The only real obstacle were the NIMBY’s.

As GBN says, this is really a fast intercity service, not all stops commuter line like TriRail. Because of the location of the FEC, it is much closer to the coast than TriRail and therefore does a better job of serving the downtown city core of the W. Palm to Miami locations.

Further on the Orlando airport terminus, don’t forget Orlando Sunrail system plans to build from their Deland-Orlando-Kissimmee route. It will include a short extension to the airport which will connect much of the metro area to Brightline. And, plans for a new route (using hiway right of ways) to Tampa would likely bring it in close proximity to WDW southern border as it parallels I-4.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for explaining about the Brightline and Sunrail likely connection. That now makes a little more sense to me.

The location of the TriRail vs Brightline stations in West Palm don't really seem that different, though granted, the TriRail stop is on the other side of downtown with a dicier area north of it. I am unfamiliar with the TriRail locations in Ft L and Miami but I thought Miami TriRail was right downtown; at least, it's not where the stupid Amtrak station is!

But downtown or not, what they need to do is have free or inexpensive luggage-friendly buses or shuttles to Miami Beach and also to Ft Lauderdale cruise port. Do they? If people are parking in Orlando and taking the train to Miami, they will not want to pay $40-50 in cabfare to get where they are going, and another $40-50 to get back.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Sojourner, Port Everglades is accessible using Tri-Rail to the Dania station. From there, (pretty sure) free transfer busses go to the Airport. Once at the Airport, all major cruise lines operate busses to the Port. It would appear show up at one with ticket and they will get you to the dock.

I recommended just that to a young couple from overseas last January when I was using Tri-Rail as part of my Brightline joyride. They had all day to get there for their sailing.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Sojourner, I think the easiest way to get to Port Everglades is to use a ride share service which will help you with your luggage. According to my Uber app the fare is about $11 from the Brightline station in Fort Lauderdale. It could be a few dollars more during rush hour. The Brightline site says they have a designated pick up spot at the station for ride share services.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for the tips. Actually, if I went, I'd want to come in the night before and stay at a hotel (near the port) to be sure to be sure. But leaving I might leave straight.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washington Monthly has an article: The Train That Only Libertarians Can Love . Perhaps a better title would be "A Train That Even Libertarians Can Love". The article summarizes the history of planning for fast trains in Florida and looks at the challenges facing Brightline on its march to Orlando and Tampa. The most revealing item I learned from the article is that Governor Rick Scott, the official who rejected ARRA money for Tampa to Orlando HSR, has an investment of at least $3 million in Fortress, the company that owns FEC and Brightline. I guess that explains Scott's lack of opposition to the Brightline express trains.

The article also ends with the writer, Maddy Crowell, taking Amtrak from Tampa back to New York. Part of her trip report:
quote:
The ride from Tampa took twenty-five hours, traveling along tracks, congested with freight trains, that are owned by the CSX corporation—or, more exactly, by the hedge funds and other financial institutions that own CSX. The station in Tampa was true to Amtrak’s reputation—a decrepit and tired-looking gray. Water dripped on our heads as we waited for a man with a whistle to allow us to board. But every seat was full. Next to me, an elderly woman was traveling to visit her son, somewhere in Virginia. She couldn’t drive and depended on Amtrak to see her family. She asked what had brought me to Florida, and I explained that I was writing about Brightline, the new high-speed rail. “What is high-speed rail?” she asked, yawning.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Thanks for locating this material Mr. Vincent. While the freelance journalist author has done a good job in codifying material already "out there" (the FECI financial interests of Gov. Scott had been previously reported) and presented in a readable manner, there is no new ground broken for those who have followed AAF/Brightline affairs
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Vincent. The journalist was certainly not kind with her comments about Tampa Union Station, but I will counter by saying that restoration projects are ongoing, and the place looks a lot better than it did just a few years ago. For those interested, you can go here: http://www.tampaunionstation.com/
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope Tampa hasn't hired the same contractor that did Seattle's King Street Station rehab. That project took foreeeeeeeeeeever.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, I guess this topic should be retitled Virgin Trains, as Richard Branson is prepared to take a position in the enterprise by means of an IPO:

SEC Form S-1 (Prospectus)

Palm Beach Post

Looks like there will be a new market for "I slept on a Virgin" T-Shirts and other apparel.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
And here is an article Branson put out. Amtrak wouldn’t know what to do if a creative guy like Branson tried to work with their bean counters.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Reading reviews of Virgin Trains UK , it seems that Virgin Trains UK runs the trains on time but customer service is frequently "shocking", "rude" or "appalling". Plenty of complaints about food and the difficulty of changing tickets, too.

FWIW, my strongest surviving memory of Branson's Virgin America airline was the pretentious and inattentive attitude of the customer-facing employees. But Richard Branson was only a minority investor in VX, the day to day operations were controlled by Americans.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I have a Brightline joyride set for this Sunday. Leave Miami 4P arrive WP 515P return  8P arrive 915P. Select $80, so they're not giving anything away any more.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
After one year of service, Brightline trains are becoming part of the South Florida urban landscape, according to this article :

quote:
Brightline’s train stations are luring new development and other amenities into South Florida’s downtowns.
New offices and hundreds of apartments will open this year near the stations in Miami and West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale officials expect a similar project across 7 acres in their city, too.

High(er) speed rail won't solve everyone's mobility problems, but with the right changes in local land use patterns, a lot of people can make their job commutes faster, business trips more convenient and vacations easier. Brightline has been spurring localized development around its stations and creating neighborhoods that support work and livability without the need for long auto commutes.

What a surprise! Maybe there is a future for high(er) speed rail in North America.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of high speed rail, here is a plan for HSR from Eugene to Vancouver, BC. Also a run east from Seattle to the Tri Cities and on to Spokane.

https://is.gd/JTzVge

I guess one should emphasize that this is nothing more than a plan. They don't say what the cost prediction might be. Also, could it really reach 250 mph speeds? If that is true, Eugene to Vancouver would take less than 2 hours. What speeds could be obtained over the Cascades, Seattle to Ellensburg?

I do like the suggested route going east to Spokane. If the plan is just a pipe dream and no more, how about a Cascade train to Spokane?

https://is.gd/s6VSzv

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Joyride in progress dp MIA 410P ar WPB 525. Near Lake Worth. Load at best is 30%.

On Board service in Select (First) is "impeccable".

The return, the 800P train (numbers are only circulated to operating employees), all kinds of "goodies" in the Select Lounge - alcoholic and otherwise. But once again, I had Select as good as to myself. Raining for the return so not too many "privileged jerks" hanging around Atlantic Ave in Delray playing "dare you" to beat the train.

Finally, this as good a place as any to note in Miami, the transfer between Rail and/or Mover is not seamless. Station is First Ave NW and 6th St. Government Center Rail/Mover station is 2nd St, so you have a four block hike. Closest Mover is Wilkie Ferguson station 5th and 1st Ave. Really was "no biggie" to me; getting off Rail with five minutes to spare?....well.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
GBN, the high today, Tuesday, in Chicago is supposed to be -10. Hope you decided to stay a few extra days in the sunny south! It would seem to be worth it even if United had a change charge. Although I suspect with many flights canceled (as well as todays EB), they waived change fees.

Any more thoughts on Brightline and, more importantly, any local news on progress towards Orlando?

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a review of Brightline by one of the editors of Trains magazines:

https://is.gd/6ZXRyg

A big positive would be the "friendly and polite" train staff. We could all use that benefit.

I am impressed by the "Select Class" lounge at the Miami Central station.

The phone app problem, as discussed, seems to be not unusual. Our SMART train, here in Santa Rosa, requires a phone app to park in the train parking lot. I couldn't figure out how to get the app for parking, and even others, with me, who are more computer savvy couldn't figure it out, as well.

Why couldn't they use credit card parking meters? I would like to think you could use cash, on board, for beverages, etc. I am amazed, whenever I am at a Starbucks, at the number of people using debit/credit cards for a $3.00 cup of coffee. I guess I belong to an older generation.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I did get home last night. United CXD the morning flight I was to take but they rebooked me on their afternoon, which got to ORD on time. Despite warnings from dear friends to not do my poor man's ("get an Uber" like that is something I do all the time - I've never used them), I did it (I had five layers of clothing) - it's what I've always done since the '80's when I had to think about the cost of things more than I do today. It went without incident - the cold just kept me moving.

Oh and applying for about the one thing airlines will refund for - a downgrade from First to Coach - went smoothly at the website. And Middle Seat Coach really wasn't the end of the world - a really nice gal was happy to share company with me on the flight and with hugs parting ways ("just think, had you been up there in your First Class you would have never met me").

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Why couldn't they (SMART) use credit card parking meters? I would like to think you could use cash, on board, for beverages, etc. I am amazed, whenever I am at a Starbucks, at the number of people using debit/credit cards for a $3.00 cup of coffee. I guess I belong to an older generation.

Richard, I'm one of those I think older than you who hates cash. To me it's "sinister" (well, not your $3 Starbucks) and in my daily life the only thing I use it for is my monthly haircut ($20 - old school) and the laundromat every 45 days ($10 - coin-op).

On the trip, I took $50.75 with me and returned with $2.75. I'll even share where it went:

$20 Hotel housekeeper
$6 METRA
$3 CTA
$4 MIA Metro
$10 Tip for a comp Breakfast at hotel
$2 gift to a homless veteran
$3 New York Times

Why Amtrak hasn't gone cash free on board escapes me.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman: I think, long ago, there was a forum discussion on the possibility of an Amtrak debit/credit card for on board services (kind of an "Amtrak Club card"). Do you think that would be something useful? What about an Amtrak phone app for paying for beverages and meals?

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard, here's "The Resurrection":

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/7335.html

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, due credit should be given to Ocala Mike for locating and submitting a link to this material:

https://www.tampabay.com/business/virgin-trains-usa-announces-619-million-initial-public-offering-to-support-brightline-expansion-20190130

Fair Use Quotation from the material immediately submitted:
  • Virgin Trains USA, the Sir Richard Branson-backed company that has partnered with Florida's Brightline passenger train, on Wednesday announced an initial public offering of stock to raise up to $619 million.

Altogether, Virgin Trains is offering to sell more than 32.5 million shares of stock at $17 to $19 per share. The shares will be listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange under the ticker symbol VTUS.
Of course, this is all well and good for an outfit about which I have been mistaken more than any in the sixty five years I have followed railroad industry affairs, and for which, so far as I'm concerned (six trips to date), offers an entire (station and on-board) product never found anywhere in all three "Americas"(of course, let it be noted the only South American country in which I have set foot is Venezuela).

Now, first $600M (if they get it) is only a "down payment" on the $1.6B they need to "build out" to MCO - never mind all the rest. The Private Activity Bonds (exempt from Federal Income Tax) have been rated "junk", and at present "they're losing their shirts" even with the apparent "post-intro" fares (my MIA-WPB-MIA was $80).

How do I know they're losing their shirts?
Safe assumption they'd be trumpeting it from the wherever (can't say hilltops in South Florida) if otherwise.

Sir Richard is a showman - and this is just one more outlet to sell "I slept on a..." T-Shirts.

Oh and finally, when I got off the plane at ORD last Tuesday wearing my Brightline hat, someone recognized it and asked "you ridden Brightline?", and to which I favoraby responded.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The Palm Beach Post has now reported on the IPO and has come to same conclusion as have I.

Fair Use:
  • Virgin Trains expects to raise net proceeds of $467.8 million in the IPO. The company already has $700 million in debt, and it’s looking to borrow $2.3 billion to fund its expansions from West Palm Beach to Orlando and Tampa, and also for a proposed line connecting Los Angeles and Las Vegas. That’s after Brightline missed two 2018 deadlines to raise $1.15 billion in a sale of tax-exempt bonds. “We are currently in discussions for a commitment for a one-year bridge loan facility (subject to a one-year extension) to permit us to borrow up to $2.3 billion aggregate principal amount,” the company says. “We do not yet have a commitment for such bridge loan facility.”

Virgin Trains has yet to hire a contractor to connect West Palm Beach to Orlando. The company says it aims to open service between West Palm Beach and Orlando International Airport in three years, placing the launch date in 2022. “We have not yet entered into certain construction contracts for the completion of the North Segment, including contracts for the construction of rail infrastructure and our Orlando vehicle maintenance facility, as well as contracts for the completion of signage, off-site roadway work and utility connections,” Virgin Trains says..
Again I must note. The IPO, if successful, will only raise a small portion of the funds needed to build out to MCO - never mind the rest?

Finally, Sir Richard is a showman. He is not King Midas.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Maimi Herald reports that the IPO has been "shelved".

Fair Use:
  • ..Virgin Trains USA, formerly known as Brightline, has decided to shelve previously announced plans to take the company public.

“As we explored a public offering, a number of alternative financing sources became available that allow us to keep the company private and meet our growth strategies,” the company said in a statement. The company declined a request for an interview, citing its required regulatory quiet period for any securities filings...
Somehow, "alternative financing" means additional public fund guarantees of any bond issue. That translates to "subsidy", resulting in me being off the hook to "eat my hat".

But even if soon it will be "tilt; game over", I have had six superlative rides on Brightline. They have set a standard that will be hard for any passenger carrier to match.

It is my hope that if it's all over, they will go out in the same manner as did the Santa Fe on A-Day Eve.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First chapter of my best-seller "How to lose friends and make enemies" is shouting "I told you so".

So I refrain from that and offer this ominous report in the spirit of "they sure have tried":

Palm Beach Post

Fair Use:
  • Financial experts say it’s unclear how long Virgin Trains USA can continue to operate after putting the brakes on a stock offering that would have raised nearly $500 million in much-needed capital.

With a cash flow of negative $6.8 million per month, the money-losing parent of the Brightline train service must look outside passenger revenue for a financial lifeline, said Ozgur Ince, a finance professor at the University of South Carolina.

“Their cash position looks very precarious,” Ince said. “With only $273,000 in cash and cash equivalents, they really needed the $500 million or so cash infusion from the IPO.”

Richard Rampell, a Palm Beach CPA and former board member of the RailAmerica freight line, also sees financial trouble down the track.

“At this rate, they could last maybe a year,” Rampell said. “Then they’re going to be in big trouble unless they can get some more capital.”
Best advice; "get on down" and "on the pronto" for a taste of what rail travel can be.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I think Gray Lady knew she had a "knothole in her paywall", and has now plugged it. Feedback on this will be appreciated

Nevertheless, here is "very favorable" reportage appearing in the Travel section today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/travel/virgin-trains-florida-brightline.html

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
A "cautiously optimistic" article appeared recently in the Miami Herald:

Fair Use:
  • If you build it, will people ride it?

It is the question now dictating the future of Brightline, the express train that hopes to take passengers from Miami to Orlando and beyond.

Almost a year after launching its service from Miami, tens of thousands of passengers now hop the train for the Miami-to-West Palm run, and back, each month. In February the figure totaled more than 78,000, according to a monthly Brightline ridership filing. (In an email provided after this story was published Monday at 7 a.m., Brightline shared that its March ridership totaled over 90,000.)

The number of riders is on a recent uptick, the company reports. Still, passenger levels remain below the company’s initial projections, and Brightline continues to operate at a loss. In February, the company decided to forgo an initial public offering (IPO), one that Bloomberg reported was set to be the largest of the year.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Trains newswire and the Palm Beach Post reported on the enthusiastic demand for selling private bonds to finance construction to Orlando. Looks like that train will depart the station!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
6% tax-free yield - wow!

But lest we forget, only the cash flow of VTUSA secures them. Try as the creditors might should a default occur, no other FECI asset can be touched.

I have a High Yield fund in my portfolio (Virtus SEIX); for all I know, some piece of it will be in these VTUSA PAB's.

But I guarantee you, I'd never hold a position outright in such. I have too many GE bonds that were A or better when I bought them, but now are Baa.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Likely, this week is proving to be amongst the most significant in Virgin/Brightline's history. Here is an Editorial by the Orlando Sentinel's Editorial Board:

Fair Use:
  • Remember back in 1999, when Central Florida was just one Orange County Commission vote away from building a light rail line along Interstate 4?

Remember back in 2011 when newly elected Gov. Rick Scott turned down $2 billion in federal money for high-speed rail between Orlando and Tampa?

Let’s hope we’re not going to remember 2019 as the year Florida passed up yet another opportunity to kick our addiction to roads.

On Friday, a quasi-government agency is scheduled to decide whether Virgin Trains USA — the new name for Brightline — should be allowed to sell $950 million in tax-exempt bonds to complete a rail project linking Miami and Orlando. The agency already approved $1.75 billion in bonds for the project.

The bond proceedings themselves would be a crashing bore to the average person. But they’re key to Virgin Trains’ plans.

We’ve been on board with this idea from the start, in part because Florida desperately needs transportation options. A state with this many people cannot continue to rely so heavily on roads to move people around. It’s a losing proposition...
There does, however, appear to be a conflict between the Post's reporting noted by Mr. Palmland, and the opinion expressed here by the Sentinel's Board. The Post reported "it's a done deal" while Ten Sentinel's Board holds the decision will be made today.

I do think the Board's position of keep the government out of it, is a bit optimistic. True, these bonds are "6% tax-free" and will be privately placed with "institutionals". Presumably they are professional enough to know what they are getting into, being quite aware that they will be paid only from the farebox after the trains are gassed up and the drivers are paid - and, oh, the wine vendor.

Now what I think is unsaid is that these institutional holders are betting on is that they will be bailed out at the "Tallytrough" should there be a default.

Finally, I remain astounded how far the initiative has come (again "for those tuning in late", I thought it was a ploy to "fatten up the steer" to sell the railroad to the State) and further acknowledge that in my sixty five years of following industry affairs, including eleven "inside", I have never been so mistaken regarding an outcome

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this looks to be a project that is needed, making a profit would surprise me. Passenger systems simply seldom if ever do. If this were Texas High Speed Rail, I would probably go for it, but not whole hog. If Brightline into Orlando does become profitable, my view would be something like the comment made about the Chicago and North Western many years ago when it was claiming a profit on its Chicago commuter service. It was to the effect, "It is like watching a hippopotamus do ballet. It is not that it does ballet so well, it is that it manages to do ballet at all."
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
So it appears that the industry trade magazine, Bond Buyer reports the private placement by Morgan Stanley was successful.

Fair Use:
  • The Virgin Trains USA name made a hit with qualified investors who eagerly scooped up its high-yield bonds to finance Florida’s privately owned passenger train project.

In the largest municipal bond deal of the week, the $1.75 billion of unrated private activity bonds priced Monday with the Florida Development Finance Corp. as the conduit issuer on behalf Virgin Trains USA, formerly known as Brightline.

The deal, upsized from $1.5 billion initially proposed in bond documents, priced a day ahead of schedule because of strong demand.

Morgan Stanley, the sole underwriter, said 67 participants sought orders after “very successful” roadshows in Boston and New York. In-person site visits also allowed prospective investors to ride the train service on its current route between Miami and West Palm Beach, which offers passengers wireless internet service, electrical power and USB outlets at all seats, and food and drink service.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still think I would stay away from them and any fund that has much in them.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It's undeniable that the "tempo" and success of getting things done has increased since Sir Richard has come on board. Seems like having a showman associated with anything enhances it's "cache".

Oh well, he now has a new market to sell "I slept on a Virgin" T-shirts.

Surprisingly, a showman affiliated with a railroad is not new. For years, Billy Rose held a seat on the New York Central's Board.

Finally, first here is a video I have not seen referenced here:

https://youtu.be/03gA1xrnXWs

Also, here is Miami Herald reporting and video on the renaming of MCS to VM - Virgin Miamicentral:

Fair Use:

quote:
Although the downtown station has been renamed, the trains will continue to carry the Brightline yellow stripes until they are repainted with Virgin’s red logo. Virgin Trains USA, whose parent is Fortress Asset Management, will operate separately from Virgin Group.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page