RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » David Gunn on "lou Dobbs Moneyline" and big support for Amtrak funding in CNN poll

Author Topic: David Gunn on "lou Dobbs Moneyline" and big support for Amtrak funding in CNN poll
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Gunn was batting for Amtrak on Lou Diobbs Moneyline last night, putting forward a reasoned case and asking for increased funding of $2billion a year over 5 years for infrastructure repairs and improvements etc. The CNN quick poll asked the viewers for their opinion on whether Amtrak should get $2 billion a year and it was 65% YES, 35% NO. This guy seems the best thing to have happened to Amtrak for a very long time.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that David Gunn, along with proper funding, are the keys to whether Amtrak can survive. If Gunn was to leave before he is able to stabilize Amtrak, I think the "writing would be on the walls" that passenger rail service would soon be a thing of the past.
I encourage members to go to the CNN website and vote on the "support Amtrak" question. It's up to 82% "Yes" with over 2,000 votes counted.

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 01-24-2003).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Final votes are:
84% in favor of increased funding
16% against increased funding
Over 3500 votes!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the Hell are the politicians ears with this large a percentage of people wanting rail transportation as an option to flying or driving.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's encouraging! I know dealings in Congress are worked out in a compromise. BUT when it comes to Amtrak getting a subsidy they always get the short end of the stick.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this at another forum:

The only thing I wonder about though, is whether or not that result is skewed. I mean think about it, who is making the most effort to go and post? Railfans, wouldn't you think? I mean I don't know, but I think that this statistic may not represent the full general population. I think that the majority of the population would still favor the funding, but I don't know if it is really that high of a percentage. Anyone agree or disagree?

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tubaallen:
I thought of that also. I hope it is more of a random sample. That would have significance. But I guess that can't be determined. Amtrak certainly needs more vocal support from a good cross section of our population. I dread the thought of relying solely on air travel. Choices should be afforded us with having a dedicated and supported national rail system.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the results are somewhat skewed. NARP put out a general e-mail to its members asking them to vote. But I should add that such tactics are not unique to NARP.

Still, the more scientific polls have shown numbers almost as high (in the 60-70% range) so I don't think all of the voters in the Moneyline poll were railfans.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy,
It's funny to see you use the words "scientific" and "poll" in the same sentence. That would be an oxymoron.

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Mr. Toy:
Thanks for that info. Let's hope!

tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20th Century:

Don't get me wrong! I hope I'm wrong too! I would love for the gov't to get a slap in the face with the vast majority of it's citizens telling them they want Amtrak. I am just not sure that's the case, unfortunately.

Mr Toy:

I hope you're right. If that is the case, then if the gov't ever takes a look at those numbers, maybe they'll start to change their tactics.

And The Chief:

I disagree...those words are not oxymorons. A poll (if done correctly) is social scientific. If it is done in the right matter, it proves whether the majority of people support the item or not.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efin98
Member # 1943

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for efin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it as one of two things: the people finally voiced their opinons on national TV or that railfans finally got together and made a valient effort to turn the tables on naysayers. I hope the former is true, that way it sends a message to Congressmen that we want to save our rail service. Either way the fact that CNN gave a damn about our opinons on the subject is a victory.
Posts: 55 | From: Chelsea, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tuballen writes, (if a poll) done in the right matter (sic) it proves whether the majority of people support the item or not.
to which The Chief replies
if you mean if a poll is done in the right manner, it may indicate who favors, and who dislikes, depending on how the question(s) are asked.
There are compound problems with most polls used today, so a lot of us are skeptical of all polls' veracity. http://www.gothamgazette.com/commentary/56.ross.shtml

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
The Chief:

Sorry for the misspelling, I think that is what I meant to say. And yes, you're right, there are some schlocky polls out there, but I just wanted to argue that it is possible to have a scientific poll.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page