RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » TRAVEL WRITER SEEKS TIPS

Author Topic: TRAVEL WRITER SEEKS TIPS
peery
Member # 2254

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for peery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a travel writer prepping for my first Amtrak adventure. Starting in mid February I will be going from San Diego to Denver (stop), then on to Charlottesville, VA (stop) via Chicago and Washington. From Charlottesville I will go over to the Greenbrier resort for a few days and then back to Charlottesville to pick up the train to New Orleans. From New Orleans I'll be coming back to San Diego via LA. I'm due back on 2 March. I've gone for the standard sleeping compartment where available. I am traveling solo. I am looking for advice from experienced Amtrak riders: 1) one generic tip that applies to any Amtrak train, and 2) specific tips for any of these seven trips. Hopefully these will ease my travels and be of use to future readers. Feel free to email me at peery@ix.netcom.com by 10 February. Thanx for your help.
Posts: 3 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peery, sounds like a great trip. I live in Lynchburg, Virginia (65 miles South of Charlottesville and the first stop after boarding) and your trip is similar to one I have thought of many times (minues the Greenbrier).

I recommend purchasing two books, "All Aboard" by Jim Loomis and "USA by Rail" by John Pitt. These books compliment each other on information with little redundancy.
They provide useful and practical information on long distance trains and many good hints and suggestions. They will provide you a wealth of information. I purchased them as a combination for $26.

I am sure you will receive many hints and suggestions on your trip. If you have specific questions reply to this forum and I and others will try to assist. If you are staying at the Five Star Greenbrier, they must be paying premium these days for travel stories.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Newtimes (edited 01-26-2003).]

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You came to one of the best websites for Amtrak advice. Don't expect to be pampered on the train, don't expect plastic smiles, and also don't expect it to be a carbon copy of travelling by air. Remember, Amtrak has to "rent" space from the freight railroads in order to run most of the trains. You'll get an experience unlike anything that most of the travelling population will ever see. If anything, you should expect the employees to be a cross section of employees anywhere - some are magnificent, some mediocre, and some should really look for another line of work. Same with the passengers.

One resource that you may wish to read is on narprail.org. When that page loads, click on "Travel Tips."
One other resource to be mentioned is the On Track On Line page at Prodigy.net. http://communities.prodigy.net/trains/amthints.htm
That page has several salient points that should be mentioned to any first-time train passenger, especially the "Final Tip" at the bottom of the page. Be sure to take time and look out the window, you'll be seeing sights that you'll never see from 30,000 feet. Also see the Amtrak Security post elsewhere on this website.

Aside from those remarks, have fun. Enjoy yourself. Feel free to post comments on this website, both positive and negative. Others are interested in reading what you will be writing.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few small, but very practical tips.

1. Wear rubber soled shoes you can put on and take off easily, like slip-ons or velcro fasteners. This makes for quick and easy trips to the rest room at night. You are required to wear shoes outside your room.

2. Get one of those toiletry kits that you can hang on a coathook. It will free up precious counter space in the tiny rest rooms. There is a coathook on the inside of the rest room doors.

3. When walking on a moving train, walk with your legs spread a little farther apart than usual. It helps you keep your balance. When walking between cars, use the hand-holds, expecially the first few times until you get used to it.

4. Breakfast and lunch are on a first-come first-served basis. Dinner is by reservation, unless you choose to go at the "last call." Reservations are taken from sleeping cars first. Coaches second. They will announce when reservations are being taken, so you should be in your room to make sure they don't miss you. If you linger in the lounge they will get to you eventually, but only after they take reservations from coach passengers.

5. When you get off tip your sleeping car attendant $5 per night if service is decent. More or less if you feel service was better or worse than it should have been. Tip for meals 15% as you would in a restaurant. Meals are included in your sleeper fare, but tips are not. When riding coach, I like to give coach attendants a couple dollars. They work hard and rarely get tips. A small tip really makes their faces light up.

How will you be going to Denver from San Diego? Will you take the Starlight to Emeryville to catch the California Zephyr, or will you take the SW Chief to Raton NM and take the bus connection to Denver? Whichever it is, it will be a fun adventure. But don't expect perfection. There are bound to be a few glitches along the way.

I've got a few travelogues on my website which may help you get a better idea of what to expect. The link is below.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 01-26-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeadlessBrakeman
Member # 2232

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for HeadlessBrakeman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rules and Advice for long distance Amtrak travel:

Rule #1) Expect absolutely nothing. You will not be disappointed with your trip. The Golden Age for long distance rail travel died a very painful death a real long time ago. Despite the "Pollyannas" and foamers in rail forums, it's over. Rule#2) If something goes wrong during your trip, don't call 1.800.USA.RAIL from the train to whine to an Amtrak res agent. They can't help you. They really don't want you to waste their time with your pathetic travel problems. They are, for the most part, RR employees with no real knowlegde of the system and they are basically useless. Their job experience is comprised of a call center environment working five days a week/four hours a day with Wednesday & Thursday off. Rule #3) Pack light. Two small bags MAX! I don't care where you're headed on the rails, Amtrak probably doesn't handle checked luggage at that destinantion. Rule #4) The food, system wide, is average at best. Rule #5) Long distance trains tend to arrive at their end points fashionably late. If making connections off long distance trains add 2.5 to 8.0 hours to the scheduled arrival time. Rule #6) The Pacific Parlour Car lounges are GROSSLY overrated. Rule #7) Please write your congress critter and demand that they stop throwing money down the bottomless sinkhole that is Amtrak. Outside of corridor service and two or three north/south long distance trains-DEMAND they scrap all east/west long distance service. I'm sure the bustling metropolises of Alpine, Texas and Sand Point, Idaho will somehow manage to continue on without their precious Amtrak service. Rule #8) If seated near or adjacent to a foamer--MOVE AWAY QUICKLY. They will bore you to death with pointless conversations about Amtrak phase 3 paint schemes as compared to Amtrak phase four paint schemes or conversations about Genesis locomotive number sequences. Trust me----MOVE AWAY QUICKLY!!!! Rule #9) If seeing the country roll by is your thing, remember this great country of ours all looks the same at night.

East/West long distance train travel on Amtrak tends to be, more often than not, a below average experience. So expect nothing and you'll have no worries. The North/South long distance runs tend to track towards an average to maybe slightly above average travel experience. Amtrak's corridor service tends to be, but not always, more reliable transportation. Good luck...you're going to need it.

Disband Amtrak 2003!
Write yer congress critters TODAY and tell them you demand that not a single cent be wasted on this outdated mode of travel. End all funding to long distance trains now!

The HeadlessBrakeman
(As always: All trolls, flamers, foamers, Amtrak employee wannabes and res agents completely ignored. )

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Headless Brakeman, that appears to be an appropriate name except maybe the Brakeman should be omitted. Peery is asking for hints on rail travel and you spew a diatribe on reasons to disband Amtrak.

You are obviously seeking confrontation by posting your comments on this forum. What ever your reasoning, it is bloated full of supressed energy/emotion and inappropiate as a response?

If you choose to "take on" this forum with ignorant, uninformed unqualified statements, then start your own topic so I and others can avoid you and your opinions. You obviously are one with an attitude who needs to chill. I assume you support building bigger, wider and more expensive highways that are overwrought and obsolete before completed.

I am sure others will respond to your energetic and charged comments. I will not. You want a verbal fight. That is childess and immature. I could respect a comment that was without sarcasm. Sarcasm is suppresed anger and it is intensified especially when expressed in an environment to challenge.

I travel by plane extensively and always take the train when possible. It's my choice. Here are suggestions I offer you:

1) Enroll in an anger management class
2) Learn to express you feeling in outlets other than in forums or emails
3) Always drive or take the plane
4) Don't call us we'll call you

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peery: If you waded through "headless's" post, his "handle" is appropriate. He's mindless and blowing "it" out his a**....

On to suggestions...

If you are traveling during a full moon, spend some night time with the drapes to your room closed, all lights off, and enjoy the moonlit nightscape. If you have a low lux camera, see if you can capture some "moonlit" pictures.

On your trip through the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas, try to get to the observation/sightseer lounge car early. The seats fill up fast, and that is the best place to view the mountain scenery. Crossing the Mississippi River is a kodak moment, too.

While you are in Chicago, be sure to see the Union Station hall. It's cavernous and a must see.

If you like the desert, you'll love west Texas, New Mexico, & Arizona.

In the diner, you will be seated with other people. The best opening line for conversation is "Where are you headed?" or "I'm headed to ______".

Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peery - ditto what Mr./Ms. "Newtimes" says -- don't listen to people like the "Headless Brakeman." You will have a great trip -- I think Mr. Toy gave you some valuable advice; he, like many of the rest of us, is an experienced rail traveler, and has a lot to offer.

Concerning your trip and another comment, I suggest you go from San Diego to Denver via Los Angeles and Emeryville -- the scenery you will see on the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Denver, is spectacular!! You will see both the Sierra Nevada Mtns and the Rockies during the day.

Let us know how your experience at the Greenbrier is! I have been past there on the Cardinal several times, but have never stayed there -- I hear it is very nice!

Have a great trip!!
--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Headless (or should I say Brainless):

I don't know why I even bother to respond to characters like you.

First, perhaps we could all arrange for a "pity-party."

Somehow you have been "poisoned"---and there is no serum that anyone can offer you. Eagerly you search for support from anyone and everyone who might lend a sympathetic ear----and are shocked when your thoughts fall on deaf ears. Individuals like you don't seek answers , you seek revenge.

When "push comes to shove" you are a very, very small minority who (fortunately) has no voice whatsoever related to the real issue at hand----BALANCING our nation's transportation needs.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peery
Member # 2254

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for peery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we forget about Mr. Headless and focus on the original questions I asked, please? I'll respond to him later. Let's not encourage him by responding to him. Just remember that people who are headless are also mindless. :-) Thanx to all of you for your suggestions. I'll reply to them all when I have a bit more time.
Posts: 3 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peery:

As with any mode of transportation , there are "highs" and "lows."

I have absolutely loved every mile of my travels with Amtrak---and to date there are over 100,000. Has every trip been perfect ? Of course not. As with any mode of transportation there are bound to be "glitches." But over-all , my general experience with Amtrak has been positive.

I consider Amtrak to be a wonderful travel option. Long-distance passenger-rail is not for everyone simply because (in this day and age) many people simply do not have the time.

But what a wonderful way to meet people and learn about the history and geography of the country !!

Generally speaking the scenery is breath-taking---whichever route you take.

There are those who will complain about Amtrak service and Amtrak food. I can honestly say I have no serious complaints whatsoever.

Your train may be late arriving at its destination--but Amtrak has no control over that.

The "ride" may be rough in places---again, Amtrak has no control over that.

You may encounter a rude Amtrak service employee or two---you encounter individuals like this EVERYWHERE in the real world. Why would it be shocking to find rude Amtrak employees ?

Keep and open mind, and you will be fine.

I look forward to my rail trips months in advance. I find rail travel very relaxing and educational and love the opportunity. Hopefully, I someday will have the chance to take my grandchildren on a rail journey.

I think you will have a great time. Be sure to share your experiences with us when you get back----both pro and con.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you are going to book a standard bedroom. If it is in your budget, you really should try for the deluxe. I too usually travel alone, and I find it is worth the money for the wonderful extra space, and the fact that you will have washing and toilet facilities in your room. Going down the hall is for the birds. I will concede that for a very short overnight trip or for a day-only trip the standard bedroom will do, but you will soon find that on any longer trip you will be very glad that you have a deluxe. But as I said before only if the budget will stretch that far, otherwise I would still take the trip, and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 7 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you've given yourself the luxury of time. Good. Your going to see a lot of great country. Here's some of my advice. I'm sure it echoes that of others:

1. Head into Denver via the California Zephyr. Its a more scenic trip than the Southwest Chief to Raton. Take the Southwest Chief back to LA.

2. Be sure to get a seat early in the sightseer lounge when there is one.

3. Limit yourself to one meal in the dining car a day. You can feed yourself pretty heardilly in the Lounge Car for a lot less.

4. Be patient. Delays will occur. I hate to agree with Headlessbrakeman, but give yourself 2 to 6 hours leeway when it comes to connections and post travel engagements. Usually crews are good at keeping passengers informed about delays.

5. The worse times to go get something to eat in the lounge car-right after the train leaves a major station.

6. If power(lights/fans) all of a sudden seems to cut out-don't worry-they might be adding or dropping cars (extra box cars) or changing out locomotives.

7. If seats are assigned-see if the attendant will give you a seat away from the stairwell. But, in your case you won't have this problem being in a sleeper compartment.

8. Leaving Los Angeles--going back to San Diego-be sure to sit on the east side-this will turn into the west/ocean side once it pulls out of LA.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your trip.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
3. Limit yourself to one meal in the dining car a day. You can feed yourself pretty heardilly in the Lounge Car for a lot less.

Of course, if you travel in a sleeper, the meals are included in your ticket, so cost is not an issue. You can take your meals at either the diner or the lounge cafe. Be sure to tell the lounge cafe attendant you are a sleeping car passenger. They will usually have you sign for you meal and take down your car and room number. Dining car servers usually know you are a sleeping car passenger from the direction you enter the dining car.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only are meals included for sleeper passengers, but being in the sleeper also gives you access to free beverages and snacks. What you get depends on supplies and your attendant, but I have known them to have coffee, tea, cold drinks, cookies, Ghiardelli (sp?) chocolates, and pretzels available. Sometimes, if the train is late, something special will be done for sleeper passengers. For instance, on the Capitol Limited, we were about 3 hours late...this would put us in DC long after lunchtime. This train normally did not serve lunch, but our sleeper attendant brought around a lovely tray of sandwiches, garnished with cherry tomatoes and pickles. This wasn't leftovers slapped together...it looked like something from a caterer.
Train travel is not perfect, but no method of travel has ever been perfect (not even the Golden Age of Trains!). If you're delayed on a train, you still will be able to walk about, use the bathroom, eat and drink, and use your cel phone and laptop...try to do that on a jet that is sitting out on the tarmac! Even today's Amtrak is far more civilized and comfortable than even first-class air travel. The only drawback to taking the train is time...and that isn't even a drawback if you consider the travel to be part of your trip, and not just a means of getting from A to B.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daisybumble,
You couldn't have written it any better. That's what makes rail travel so much better!
I just wish I could do a lot more long distance rail travel in a sleeper. It beats first class on an airplane.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisybumble:
Even today's Amtrak is far more civilized and comfortable than even first-class air travel. The only drawback to taking the train is time...and that isn't even a drawback if you consider the travel to be part of your trip, and not just a means of getting from A to B.

Well put, Daisy! That is the perfect, concise response to those who argue that train travel is obsolete in the jet age.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't agree more. The train should be factored into the entire trip. My vacation last month to Texas began when I stepped aboard the Eagle, not when I reached my destination. This is the mindset one must have to get the most out of their travel experience.
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

As a writer, you will probably be writing on board the train and you must prepare yourself for some nasty terrain. If you are lucky, the tracks will be welded together and the roadbed will be well-maintained and you might very well experience a smooth ride. However, there will, no doubt, be some jarring areas that will make you wonder how the train manages to stay on the track. As has been noted, Amtrak rents right of way (for the most part) from the freight companies and sometimes they are neglegent about keeping up the tracks.

Back to the writing part. If you are using a laptop, you will probably have a limited supply of battery power. Having studied a little bit about electricity in school, I'm not sure if I would trust an expensive laptop be powered by the juice coming out of those refurbished 70's-era outlets, but its your call. Personally, I use an Alphasmart3000 for writing. Three AA batteries and I'm good for 700 hours.

I don't fly. Period. Gave it up over five years ago. I have a bit of an ear problem and don't care to undergo an operation to fix it. However, I don't miss flying at all. From what I hear, post 9/11, flying sounds like a nightmare. Train travel, on the other hand is quite a hoot, and this is coming from a 45-year-old guy, not a so-called "railfan" (though I seem to be evolving into one).

To me train travel is a necessity and I have taken the train all over the place. Over 12,000 miles in the last year alone and I love it. The food is great. The service is great. Everything about trains are great. People who are nasty and impatient probably should fly and make train travel easier for the rest of us.

Amtrak does a fantastic job with the crumbs that have been thrown its way and the only advise I would give you is to follow the golden rule, especially after using the bathroom. Stick up for the overworked conductors, especially if they are being abused by discourteous passengers. And cut Amtrak some slack when you are writing your piece. They need all the help they can get and, as I said, they are doing a fantastic job with what they've got.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are "new " as a travel writer you have been given some excellent advice by " most " of the prior respondents.
My suggestion, if you are to educate prospective train travelors is to know, or learn, something about the history of the regions, and routes, you take. While the train trip may provide substantial material for the transportation portion of your story,
The cities, towns and other features of the
trip will be desired by those who may choose to read what you decribe. These are some of the most significant factors which make a good and enticing travel story.

Of course, if you are an experienced travel writer then you have probably already done this "homework".

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 11 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess riding in Coach is an entirely different experience. I've traveled thousands of miles on Amtrak and never new meals are included in the Sleeper fare. Hmm? Wow! You learn something new every day.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rrchina's post made me think of something else that Peery should keep in mind.
Amtrak is not just about travelling from city to city. Whenever you can, take a good look out the window at the station stops. Some are cities, some are college towns or suburban areas. Still others are little towns where Amtrak is the best choice for travel...the nearest major airport could be hours away. These people need the train to get to cities, colleges, and wherever else. It really gives you a different perspective on life in this country, especially if you come from a populous area where many resources are within an hour radius of home.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well stated, Daisybumble. I've had the opportunity to take the Empire Builder from RDW to visit my relatives in WI, and you bring up points that I've had some difficulty articulating to them. Sure I could take my car, but then I'd have to deal with the usual headaches associated with driving. One serious regret that I have regarding the Builder is that there has been no successful effort to get the train re-routed through Madison. It's poosible, yet not feasible . Again, well put.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peery
Member # 2254

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for peery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx to all of you for your suggestions and comments. I've now got my tickets and I'm ready for this nearly 7,000 mile adventure. My only regrets so far are a bit of double-tripping on the Crescent and having less than 24 hours in New Orleans on Mardi Gras eve. Everything else looks great --- if the weather holds. I talked to three different people at Amtrak reservations and every one of them was very helpful, as well as highly knowledgeable. FYI, I did a comparison and on a cost per mile basis, the difference between a multi-stop airline ticket from San Diego to Denver to Charlottesville to San Diego compared with the Amtrak routing amounted to the difference between 12 and 20 cents a mile. Not bad, all things considered. I was a bit shocked to find out what a deluxe compartment cost. Having a private shower might be nice, but not at an additional cost of some $600! I'll have a complete report when I get back. Ciao! And thanx again.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't be sure it would be good enough for Laura Landro ("upscale only" travel writer who does a travel column for the Wall Street Journal entitled "the Finicky Traveler"), but the community shower is good enough for me.

As for showers on Amtrak, I'm "batting a thousand". They have always "worked".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Peery, the public shower is not all that bad. There are plenty of handrails to steady yourself on, and dry places to put your stuff. The attendant should have a good supply of washcloths and towels. Bring along a pair of cheap flip-flops or aqua-sox to wear before/during/after your shower...you'll be glad you did.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only problems I've had with the public shower are: running out of towels (only once though, and it *was* late morning...), and getting very stuffy in the bathroom so you can't dry yourself properly. But other than that, they're great!

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page