TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Replies to Mr. Headless

Author Topic: Replies to Mr. Headless
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 8 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At everybodies wish, I'm taking replies to Mr. Headless to a different string, as to not further distract from the previous question.

As much of a temptation it would be to resort name calling as Headless does, I'll try to practice restraint.

For one, criticism should always be welcome when appropriate. Even the the most dedicated 'foamer' has his or her share of criticism for Amtrak. It needs fixing-granted. Nonetheless, there is a fine line between intellegent criticism and just sarcasm and ridicule.

For your information, I'm one of those foamers. I know when somebody isn't interested in discussing train stuff-and I know to leave angry little people like you alone. Nonetheless, I've had some very nice conversations with unseasoned riders, and for the most part, I have found some very interested audiences-especially parents with kids. The Sightseer Lounge seems to be a social hubs at sometimes even the early am hours.

Anyway...

Not everybody can afford to fly. Others have no desire to drive or they don't have a reliable vehicle to drive long distance. I think sufficive to say it beats the Fart Cart, oh, I mean the Greyhound.

If you want to talk about money pits-lets talk about the multi-billion dollar bail-outs of the airlines-millions of dollars to maintain the FAA--airport construction---delays----cancelations----unreasonable fares---duct-taped parts on planes--so on and so on.

Lastly--next time just fly the (un)friendly skies.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every village has its idiot. Every message board has one too.

On AOL's proprietary passenger rail boards we've got a fellow who tells every potential train traveler to fly, and then quotes them an air fare. He also gets nasty. On top of that he claims to be a long-time Amtrak employee! When he crosses the line with personal insults his posts get deleted by the moderator.

When I first saw the "headless" post in the other thread I thought it might be the same guy. But then I realized it wasn't because, unlike the AOL guy, Headless can at least spell, knows how to use a SHIFT key, and knows the difference between a comma and an apostrophe. I do give him a little credit for that (and only that).

Anyway, these guys aren't worth our time. They have their minds made up and nothing we can say will change that. If you choose to respond to them, do so for your own amusement, not for their enlightenment.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newtimes
Member # 2037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newtimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patrick, good move to redirect comments on Headless into a new message. I wished I had done that rather than replying to him in Peery's message.

Russell in VA

Posts: 31 | From: Lynchburg, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 12 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if critics like headless are basing their judgement on one or less bad experiences. I find that most (not all) of amtrak's harshest critics speak out of complete ignorance. What they don't realize is that not everybody wants to fly, and the Fart Cart (Greyhound) is not an option.

I come from a po-dunk valley town called Bakersfield, Ca. (Toy-you've probably heard of it). The difference between flying and jumping on the train is hundreds of dollars.
Example: Bakersfield to San Francisco round trip during the summer--$560 via United Express---$102 RT via Amtrak. Big difference. Taking the train really matters when you live in a small market area for airlines.

While I don't know where headless resides, I do know this much: These little towns that he states 'can live without Amtrak' like Alpine, Texas--their only other choice is to drive to El Paso or San Antonio and fly out of their to get anywhere.

I don't want anybody to misunderstand me. I have my fair share of complaints about Amtrak. We should ALWAYS welcome intellegent debate in this forum. But keep it dignified and, well, INTELLEGENT.

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Po-dunk Bakersfield? I've heard of it too.
In fact I live there and have for about 10 years. Nice to see another on the list from Po-dunk.

Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote from amtraxmaniac:
"I wonder if critics like headless are basing their judgement on one or less bad experiences. I find
that most (not all) of amtrak's harshest critics speak out of complete ignorance. What they don't
realize is that not everybody wants to fly, and the Fart Cart (Greyhound) is not an option."

Most aren't judging their comments on any experiences what-so-ever, they are just using bits and pieces of things they read in other areas of the board; or whatever comes to mind as they type. I'm glad you re-directed also, but to be honest, is this guy really worth wasting memory space on the bulletin boards' servers? I've learned from my 8 years of visiting various chatrooms to just ignore the 'village idiots' and not even reward them with a response of any kind. They eventually go away.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm new here so and I've only read one of Mr. Headless' posts but they say conflict is the essense of drama and I suppose his opinions helps keep things lively around here.

One thing that amazes me while reading this forum, however, is the confidence that some posters appear to have regarding the survival of Amtrak. With our nation's passenger rail system on the chopping block, it seems to me that it will take a miracle for Amtrak to survive the next few weeks. My only hope is that the public seems to want passenger rail to continue (I think I read over 70%). So that keeps people like Mr. Headless very much in the minority, I suppose.

I have an enormous amount of confidence in Amtrak's new president, Mr. Gunn, and also appreciate his excellent sense of humor and his wonderful ability to play hard ball. With a man like Mr. Gunn in charge and with the extraordinary people on this board, I pray that Amtrak will find a way to survive. My guess is that Mr. Headless is probably a disgruntled member of the Amtrak Reform Council, and if ever there was a waste of government money that has to be it.

In the meantime, I just topped 15,000 guest reward points and am looking forward to claiming my free round trip ticket across two regions of this great country of ours.

It's good to be here. I hope y'all don't mind my ramblings.

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the board, Chucky!

As for myself, I'm not too concerned with a possible loss of Amtrak. True it would be a terrible shame, but during the past 10 years, how many times has this 'rumor' popped up, only to be smashed at 'THE LAST MINUTE'(lmao) by "intense negotiations" in congress?

------------------

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks for the welcome. Very pleased to be here.

Although I am praying that intense negotiations will extend the life of Amtrak, I feel sorry for the employees who have to live under the constant stress of seeing their employer disappear. I have spoken to many Amtrak employees about this and they say they're used to it.

I hope you are correct that Amtrak will survive but you must know that this deadline is significant because it marks the anniversary when the railroad was supposed to make a profit. Of course we all know that no national railroad can survive without subsidies but try telling that to the likes of John McCain.

But for all the abuse that has been heaped upon the Republican administration, I think it is significant to remember that Amtrak was created when Richard Nixon was president. Furthermore, it has never been clear to me that the Democrats ever gave much of a fiddler's fart for our passenger railroad.

If Amtrak is to survive, it must be done in a bi-partisan manner and I think congress realizes that it would be political suicide to kill it off. From the perspective of a resident of the great Southwest, you better believe I will not be happy if my tax dollars are spent on supporting the Acella or the Surfliner (though they are handsome trains).

In short, long live the long distant trains and especially The Southwest Chief!

And oh yeah, can somebody please tell me what a "foamer" is, please. Thanks!

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Amtrak needs to be bi-partisan. Most of my co-workers are Republicans but they are not hostile towards Amtrak...

As for the Surfliner, the improvements to the appearance of the train and the station facilities look great. Much of the funds were provided by a local bond measure that was approved ~ 1990; it was not all done with federal taxpayer funds.

If you want to attract new riders (non-railfans) to the rails, you cannot have the equipment and station-area right of way look like graffiti alley or a junkyard.

I also would not be so harsh on Greyhound. Maybe some routes are dogs (ha ha) but others are ok...I occasionally use the bus as a counterpart to Amtrak in areas with less-than-daily service or other areas where you can't do an out-and-back trip in a day.
It beats driving and you can 'foam' inside the bus (though try not to alarm the other passengers ;-D)

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A foamer (as I understand it) is someone who is absolutely fanatical about trains. The joke is that the 'foam at the mouth' at the mere sight or sound of a train. It's funny, the first time I ever heard this term was from an Amtrak Conductor. I was out shooting pictures at the old Bakersfield Station about four years ago. I remember asking the conductor a question and somewhere in the response he just smiled and said 'Oh, your one of them foamers aren't ya'. You'll find that Amtrak employee's for the most part don't mind the questions if they have time to talk and are even quite amused that there are some things the foamer knows and he or she (the amtrak employee) doesn't (pat,pat).

Anyway, I have to agree: Disbanding Amtrak would be Political Suicide. Most officials have bigger fish to fry. Most criticism is nothing more than election year bantering that goes away once the dust clears on the congressional elections. What hardley any official will admit is that the key to Amtrak's survival lies in what it has been so heavily criticized for: pork barrell. What congreeman is going to vote to eliminate the route that runs through his or her district? I find it ironic that most of Amtrak's critics are critics because there is no service running through their district. John McCain just ticked off because there is no service running into Phoenix. He can blame UP for that. But look where the majority of votes lay. Southern California, The Bay Area, Chicago Area, The Midwest (St Louis, Kansas City), Texas, Florida, New England, The Northwest (Portland to Seattle), and of course the Northeast Corridor by itself! Do you think Any representative in these areas want to see their service go-Heck No! Do you think there's enough clout in these areas for some representatives to go to bat for Amtrak-Heck Yea! Do you think these representatives want a broken up system or a connected system? You be the judge.

Amtrak aint going anywhere!!!! Neither are it's long distance trains! Three horrays for David Gunn! Horray!!!!!!!!Horray!!!!!!!Horray!!!!!

------------------
Patrick

[This message has been edited by amtraxmaniac (edited 01-30-2003).]

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "foamer" is a rather derogatory name. Will I go out of my way to see a train? It depends what it is. I have heard that BNSF train crews sometimes refer to Fullerton Station as "Foamerton" because of the huge number of railfans. Interestingly, from the interactions I've had with railroad employees, most of them seem to be railfans (of varying degrees) although most would never let on that this is so.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
"Foamer?"

I just love it! Then I'm a foamer and didn't even know it:

http://www.alibi.com/alibi/2002-07-25/news_section.html
http://www.alibi.com/alibi/2001-08-16/oped_section.html

(Very proud to be foaming)

Chucky

[This message has been edited by Chucky (edited 01-30-2003).]

stuff
Member # 2052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God for all you train riding advocates...it is a mode of transportation overlooked in this country...odd, since the railroads helped build it..
Posts: 4 | From: Toluca Lake, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree that Congress probably won't let Amtrak die, we shouldn't take that for granted. True, Amtrak has survived for over three decades of constant attacks on its existence, but only because of people like us coming to its defense year after year by writing to our representatives and supporting organized advocacy groups like NARP.

I think I may come across as a "foamer" to some, but I don't consider myself to be a "railfan." My passion for Amtrak advocacy has more to do with my sense of fairness than anything else. I cannot tolerate the incessant political abuse of something so valuable to this country.

Patrick, as you probably know I live on the Monterey Peninsula, and I know exactly what you mean about air fares from smaller airports. Fares in and out of Monterey are pretty high. When I visit my mother in Salem, Oregon, Amtrak's standard sleeper fares (for two) are quite competitive with coach air fares, and I can get to within five miles of my mother's place. If I flew, I would have to go to Portland and take a bus to Salem.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree we should not take Amtrak for granted. Even if some sort of network survives, particular routes could be threatened at any time (except the NEC).

As for being a "foamer"...sometimes I would qualify. I am the only one in my office who accepts jury duty in a so-so part of town because it is near train tracks and you can see trains from the Jury Assembly Room...

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me? A "foamer"? well, if time permits or the object is worth the time, yes, I may be.

As for Amtrak surviving at least in part; yes, we do need some sort of long distance passenger service, but I would be concerned about the selected routes....
to be continued, class is over

Quote from atsf "I think "foamer" is a rather derogatory name."

It may be taken as some to be derogatory, but can you give me one example of a group, (such as those deemed 'foamer') who have been given a name that wasn't in some sense taken as derogatory by someone, somewhere? and if you do know of such an example, I'm not, nor will I ever be, called by whatever term you come up with.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Cthetrains (edited 01-31-2003).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page