RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » » Rail Industry » locomotive lashups

Author Topic: locomotive lashups
todder
Member # 2313

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for todder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings,
I'm looking for information in regards to
the way locomotives are lashed together in a train.
I am curious as to why some are all facing the same way, some are front to front, some are back to back and some have one locomotive facing forward and three facing backwards!!!
I am beginning to model the C&NW in Wisconsin, specifically the carferries in Manitowoc, my hometown.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Todder

Posts: 1 | From: manitowoc,WI 54220 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conrailkid
Member # 1898

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for conrailkid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could be lots of reasons. back to back is a typical consist, and that just saves time turning power at the yard. your crew comes in on say, the west end unit going west, when the power is needed for an eastbound, the crew simply gets on the east facing engine. however, in this day of differed maintenence, units facing the same way are becoming more common. this way, if your lead unit fails, you can set it over and put the trail unit head out, and it will be facing the right way. for multiple unit consists- 3 or more, that can be a however they line up thing, or the guru's in the power dept. wanting power in a certain way for other trains using that particular power. hope this helps!
Posts: 85 | From: owingsmills, md. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page