RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Please Joe (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Please Joe
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please Joe....please read!!!

Wall Street Journal

Fair Use:
  • The White House is whispering that next week President Biden will announce his intention to run for a second term, though the polls say that even most Democrats hope he doesn’t. The public understands what Mr. Biden apparently won’t admit: that electing an octogenarian in obvious decline for another four years could be an historic mistake.

No doubt it’s hard to walk away from the Oval Office after working for five decades to get there. Flying Marine One home for the weekends beats Amtrak. The chance to pull the levers of power is intoxicating, and that’s also true for the advisers who have pushed him in such a sharply progressive direction in his first term. They know Mr. Biden will lead wherever they want him to go.
Joe, your career has been politics; you set out to be, and became, a "career politician". You attained the ultimate prize.

Why upset the pinnacle with a more likely than not loss to either Trump or DeSantis?

It is simply unfair for your party to expect you to step up and "take one for the Team", and so far as yourself, you must again must not lose sight "you're gonna lose".

Some 25% of your own party wants you to step down. Nevermind the 50% comprising "the other guys".

Please do the right thing; DON'T RUN!!!

Posts: 10598 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donald J Trump; POTUS 45 & 47

http://www.joebiden.com

It certainly appears that Joe has settled on Kamala - and the possibility of her becoming POTUS 47. Also, be sure to note the two different microsecond clips of Amtrak equipment.

I admire and respect Joe's loyalty to his "team", but Kamala has yet to show any qualifications to be POTUS 47. She would somehow have to serve out the all too likely unexpired term. She could step down, but there are no provisions in the Constitution for a Special Election. Speaker McCarthy would automatically become POTUS 48 - and I think there are "a few" - party affiliation notwithstanding - who'd be less than happy about that!

Of course, there is always hope that the rest of that story could resemble how a one-time political hack from the Kansas City area became POTUS 33 and The Scholars' sixth greatest.

Posts: 10598 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biden announced today. Campaign slogan? “Let’s finish the job.” Anyone think of a worse one than that?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Again, while I'm hardly as "giddy" as are some around here that POTUS 47 initials will be DJT, I must get ready for a visit in Indianapolis with my long-standing very lib friends down there (he; educator: she; Executive Director social worker). "Finish the job" to her means enacting everything on Bernie's, Liz's, AOC's, and "The Squad's" agenda. To me, the "job" was finished when ARA21 COVID relief and the IIJA21 infrastructure were enacted. Help the people who had been adversely affected by COVID? Of course; that is why we have a strong central government. Infrastructure? Too many politicians had ignored it for too long.

But beyond that, Joe should have had only one initiative on his agenda - and that was to "bring us together", which would comprise no further liberal leaning legislation.

Should Joe somehow win in '24, may as well just "anoint" Bernie the Majority Leader and AOC the Speaker, for I think the "Lib Leanin'" agenda will have "only just begun."

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't think bad government will destroy a nation, look at the National Geographic's The World at Night from several years ago. There are a couple of national borders that are very obvious. There may be others, but one I looked for and the other just slapped me in the face. The line of the DMZ between North Korea and South Korea is painfully obvious. South has a lot of lights throughout. The lights suddenly end at the DMZ. North thereof there are somewhat dim lights at the major cities. Ethnically same people. Just very different governments. The other, you can follow the Nile from the Delta to the Sudan border by the swath of light. At the border the lights quit. The absolutely goofball ideas of Bernie, Liz, Biden, et al will drive the country down fast if they are not stopped. I would go for almost any of the potential Republican candidates ahead of any of the set of geriatrics and mindless nutcases we see on the Democratic side. Look at the cities with long term governments operated by those on the left edge of the Democrat party.
Posts: 2935 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I agree with you to the extent that, when I go down to Florida every year, I just get the impression that "the place works".

Of course my Lib Educator/Exec Dir Indianapolis friends, who incidentally "were down" last month for a family wedding, don't agree. To her, sure fancy buildings, but does that give rise to a diverse society of equals - ethnicity and "orientations"?

So there are the two sides; you and Mr. Helfner on one, my noted friends on the other, and the "left or right of centers" like me in the mode of Bill, Jimmy, and both Bushes, "somewhere in between". We all will go to the Firehouse or wherever (me, a Park District building) on "That Tuesday in November". Till then, may the best man (person?) win.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently there is a dearth of funding for Biden’s re-election. Money should have been pouring in.

Axios
quote:
Biden announced his re-election bid before his campaign team was ready to go, and now is hustling to build an organization that could take on GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, who announced his campaign nearly six months ago. …

Biden’s team is well behind Obama’s schedule from 12 years ago. By January 2011, Obama’s team had announced its senior leadership, was scouting Chicago office space, and was actively courting donors. …

Posts: 781 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Within this column appearing today in The Times, the columnist notes a Washington Post poll that gives Trump six points over Joe at this time.

Fair Use:
  • As for the general election, a new ABC News-Washington Post poll showed him with a six-point edge — seven points with undecided leaners — over President Biden.
I really think that for a man who has given his whole life to public service and became "a career politician who attained the ultimate prize", it is cruel for the Democratic Party elders to ask Joe to "step up and take one for the team", and at this time, that is how the landscape appears.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

I don’t know how loosely “public service” is defined these days. Someone like a policeman (i.e. who does not regard the decree of a politician higher than the written law) I usually think of as a public servant; a bureaucrat is something else altogether.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Helfner, related to your immediate is that I think it is difficult to conclude otherwise that Joe is loyal to his "team", and they in turn are loyal to back to him. Look at just how stable the White House staff has been. One Chief of Staff turnover to date; one Press Secretary, one Cabinet.

Now I don't know if Joe would be "down six points" if he had ditched Kamala in favor of someone who had in their CV, suggestions that he or she had qualifications to be President. There are Democrats that do have such with names like Govs. Hochul, Newsom, Pritzker, and Whitmer.

However (if you can get to it), here is a Forbes article suggesting Joe could "make it through a second".

But I'm inclined to hold the expressed thought of Republican Candidate Nikki Haley that a vote for Joe is really a vote for Kamala - and to date, the latter has not shown too much in the way of qualifications to be POTUS 47.

However, on the flip side to that, how many qualifications did a certain hack politician from Kansas City show to become POTUS 33, whom the Scholars rank within their First Quartile?

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Truman did meet all the Constitutional qualifications for POTUS, as did/does Biden.

Harris might still have questionable qualifications with respect to the 14th Amendment and the “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” clause.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
WOW

That's a "stretch", Mr. Helfner, but I "gotta say an interesting one".

You have cited a recognized news source, for which the opinion piece, even if even by a quite controversial author and resulted in a disclaimer being added by the publisher, I thank you.

So by that measurement, the office of the Vice President has been vacant since Jan 20, 2021 and that Ms. Harris has been serving as an ad hoc "Acting VP". Therefore, should Joe die or fall to the "incapacitation" standards of the 24th Amendment, Speaker McCarthy would become POTUS 47.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Yes, Joe can "take a victory lap" showing "he still has it in him" to sit down with Kevin (whose share price has risen in tandem with MSFT) and strike the deal on the "debt crisis without getting walked all over".

While of course the "credit card limit" of the USA should not be held hostage by Congress - when it's Congress that says "you will go spend this money" - it nevertheless a fact of life, and all concerned must live with it - well until Congress decides there will be no limit on what the USA can borrow (so long as there are investors out there willing to bankroll such).

Joe, I think, was right in that he did not have a stage show enacting this legislation; you know, in a public setting such as the Rose Garden flanked by Kevin, Hakeem, Chuck, and Mitch. This was just a little piece of dirty business the Congress inflicts on the American people, and relief from such only deserves the "in the dark alley" enactment the legislation got.

Now as to "four more years" of Joe, this round table focus group sponsored by The Times, simply appears to hold otherwise. Yes Joe, you played grand mediator on your own turf this time; now what is going to happen come '28, assuming you somehow get reelected, when Xi has Formosa encircled with his now largest Navy in the world, and you have to "play poker" with him to keep the world from being on the wrong end of a "mighty big boom".

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

So far, Biden has James Comey’s endorsement, although that would be from a cheerleader.

Twitter founder and former CEO Jack Dorsey prefers RFK Junior.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Joe, at this point with seventeen months to go, you should have 20 points over anyone else.

You don't.

At this rate, even if what is noted here comes from a UK Newssource, you're going to lose, and Trump will be POTUS 47.

Even if somehow you win beyond the popular vote (that you likely will, but it's the unfair electoral vote that decides the winner), we will have "a Jan 6 2025" to address. This one, who is to say that Trump will not exhort his faithful "to peacefully march...."?

So if to lose might be best for the country in saving us from an insurrection, why must the Party Elders make you close out your long career with a loss?

Why aren't the Elders looking for a younger face to "take one for the team"? It is simply unfair to ask one who has faithfully served both his party and his country for over fifty years to do so.

Champ and Commander are in Wilmington "guarding the 'Vette" and are waiting for "a little rasslin'".

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

JL Partners also claimed that people polled believed that Rishi Sunak would be a good prime minister for the UK. As far as DeSantis, many again seem to have forgotten the definition of “fascist” which is yet another left-wing ideology based on wealth redistribution and “social justice”, so take the poll results with a grain of salt.

In other news, Hunter Biden has entered guilty pleas for two misdemeanor tax charges, in a plea deal that also will see a gun possession charge dismissed conditionally.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Regarding Mr. Helfner's second point, just one more reason for Joe "to find a way out". Newsmax, Tucker (wherever he now hangs out), and Hannity will all have their fun. Before they're done, even "Dr. Jill" will be implicated - for something to be determined.

Had Beau lived, considering no one "ever found too much on him", Joe's campaign could have focused on "the upstanding son", but I fear for naught. Maybe Joe can strike a deal; "I'll withdraw, in exchange for no further attacks on my family". Whomever the Democratic Party nominates to replace Joe will lose to Trump decisively, thereby sparing our democracy another Jan 6.

Again, back to this topic's title; "Please Joe".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This Times columnist, Bret Stephens, holds that the RFK Jr. candidacy should not be dismissed with a "ho hum, so what".

Fair Use:
  • In 1968, Senator Eugene McCarthy challenged Lyndon Johnson for the Democratic presidential nomination and ran a close second in the New Hampshire primary. The near upset by McCarthy, a Minnesota progressive, helped convince Johnson that he should not run for re-election, opening the way for Robert F. Kennedy. History might have been very different if tragedy hadn’t intervened that June at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

Could a similar scenario (minus any violence) unfold again, with President Biden in the role of L.B.J., Robert F. Kennedy Jr. in the role of McCarthy, and a more credible Democrat than Kennedy in the role of his dad, ultimately winning the nomination?
Lest we forget, LBJ "abdicated" during March '68, or eight months out, so by that timetable, Joe still has nine months to accept "the party's over".

I respect Joe for the decent man he is, and I hold he sincerely wants to do his best for the country. But he is simply too old to have the necessary cognitive skills. Should somehow he win re-election, that term "more likely than not" would end under the 25th Amendment and with President Harris taking the ride down Pennsylvania Avenue with her successor.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I respect Joe for the decent man he is, and I hold he sincerely wants to do his best for the country. But he is simply too old to have the necessary cognitive skills. Should somehow he win re-election, that term "more likely than not" would end under the 25th Amendment and with President Harris taking the ride down Pennsylvania Avenue with her successor.

I will try to be polite here, but it is somewhat difficult. I feel that Biden is anything but a decent man. Despite the media being a uniform cheering section for him, there are many things coming out that show him to be one of the worst self-serving politicians to have ever held the office. It seems he has a highly varying history of himself and family, so I am not sure he even knows how to tell the truth, and his apparent mental decline over the last few years has made him a national embarrassment. I simply cringe every time he or any of his cabinet make any public pronouncements. Blinken's recent jaunt into China being an outstanding example.
Posts: 2935 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Obviously Mr. Harris, your views and mine differ. My Sister, who gets her news from the Bible, Epoch Times, and Newsmax, (no longer Fox; "they fired Tucker for telling the truth") holds same. Last week, I was "out there" for SKS's Centenary (break out the checkbooks, Alums), then my Sister (Greenwich), so "I heard it all".

I drove, as I had a stop planned in Fredericksburg as well as several wineries in the vicinity. However, my longtime friend had dental surgery and she "was not in the mood to go anywhere", so with HPN roundly equidistant from South Kent and Greenwich, I should have just flown and rented. But "last minute flights and even auto rentals, uh, cost!!!".

Going out, the drive was fine, return, "uh a little different". While atop George, something happened; smack up, another Christie "bridgegate" who knows. But nothing moved (compass) Westward (highway South) for the better part of an hour. I was in the center of the span, and the bridge was definitely shaking.

Now I know Mr. Harris, that is what suspension bridges are designed to do, but for me who is just as glad to be over any bridge, all I could think was its 150' down to the Hudson.

But oh well, nice view of the Manhattan skyline or to the North, the Palisades.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Journal columnist, Peggy Noonan, who got her start as a speechwriter with the Reagan administration, wrote the perfect speech - even if brief - for Joe to deliver announcing his "abdication":
quote:
“After long thought, I judge that I have done the job set for me by history: I removed Donald Trump and saw to the ravages of the pandemic. I now throw open the gates and say to my party: Go pick a president. You did all right last time, you’ll do fine this time too.”
It would be up there with that LBJ delivered during March 1968 and his "abdication". I first predicted such would occur during October '67 and then was of record with my Mother and Father during February '68:
quote:
"I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your President."
The world was shocked, but I wasn't.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
If Biden does something similar, you can count me among the shocked.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This Karl Rove column today in The Journal could be enough for Joe to want to step down before "the opposition paints the picture" that he has "alley cat morals".

Fair Use:
quote:
In 2020, after four years of chaos, swing voters wanted someone who would “restore the soul of America.” Democrats sold what seemed an authentic story: Joe Biden of Scranton, Pa.—the “everyman” politician and personal friend of Amtrak conductors—would rid the White House of crazy, restore normality to Washington and through decency and collegiality make government work again. But Mr. Biden is now undermining the chance that voters will buy that this is the real Joe in 2024.

The most obvious recent example is the president’s refusal to acknowledge his seventh grandchild, the result of his son Hunter Biden’s liaison in 2018 with a former stripper. Hunter says he doesn’t remember linking up with the child’s mother and refused to acknowledge he was the father or provide child support until a court-ordered test established his paternity. In late June, Hunter came to an agreement with the girl’s mother to provide monthly child support and some of his paintings. In return the mother agreed not to use Biden as his daughter’s last name.

Now I realize that Karl Rove has been a Republican "operative" since the days of Bush 41, but I do think his views, as expressed in his Journal columns, show far more "balance", such as his opposition to the Trump candidacy, than one would expect from a "partisan".
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Surprisingly I was able to access the article without slamming into a paywall. Looks like a very good description of the real Joe, although I have not seen any reason to ever vote for the guy with or without the information in the article.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Journal columnist Kimberly Strassel predictably tears into Joe's administration, but does "not exactly" give a ringing endorsement to another Trump term.

Fair Use:
quote:
Mostly it will take a leader. There was no Reagan revolution without Reagan. What Donald Trump’s supporters love most about him is his fight—his willingness to take on taboo issues, to punch back at critics. What he lacks is a philosophy. The Republican Party has a bench of younger, accomplished leaders who have adopted the Trump fighting spirit—but who also have the vision and message. Conservative voters now must decide if their loyalty to Mr. Trump is worth risking this unique political opening.

America can bounce back from the Biden malaise. It has the desire, the energy, and the formula. It needs a leader.

Time for both parties to look to their benches.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Joe, there's still time to gracefully withdraw. At this time, everything suggests that you are going to lose.

A "empathetic" newssource, the Washington Post, has you ten points behind Trump, and even other polls, as reported by 538, show at best a "dead heat". That would be tragic if such came to pass. Jan 6 would be the Sunday School Picnic by comparison.

Furthermore, it is more likely than not there will be a recession next year. The stock market has been a good historical barometer for the likelihood of such, and anyone who follows the Market knows where it has been going of late!!! Look what the '08 financial meltdown, from which the Markets were hardly immune, did to Sen. McCain and his chances.

So Joe, considering you have never lost an election and attained the ultimate prize sought by career politicians like yourself. Why should you, or for that matter your party's elders, wish to close out your career with a defeat? Even Commander thinks it's time to go (another biting incident).

Somebody else can step up to "take one for the team".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Joe, take heart; Times columnist David Brooks holds you havent been all that bad a president; in fact a reasonably good one - and certainly better than your likely Republican opponent, who he acknowledges that if the Election were tomorrow, you would likely lose to:

Fair Use:
quote:
...But I’ve also come to fear and loathe Donald Trump. I cannot fathom what damage that increasingly deranged man might do to this country if given a second term. And the fact is that as the polls and the mood of the electorate stand today, Trump has a decent chance of beating Biden in November of next year and regaining power in 2025......The bracing reality is that Trump’s cynicism and fury match the national mood more than Biden’s faithful optimism. It’s one of the reasons Trump is now leading Biden by 1.2 percentage points in the RealClearPolitics polling average. It’s one of the reasons Trump is in a stronger polling position now than at any point in 2016 or 2020. It’s one of the reasons even some Republicans are mystified by the way Democrats are standing pat behind their incumbent....

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
I really don't see how Biden can be doing that good in the polls. About the only people I know that would still vote Biden would vote the Donkey if it were the Democrat candidate, and frankly, by now I think the Donkey would do better.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I guess you hold that the ABC News/Washington Post poll I noted earlier that gives Trump 10 points over Joe to be "on mark". Somehow I think we both hope that whoever wins does so with not less than 5 points plurality in any state's vote.

I have come to hold that, for better or worse, Donald Trump will be elected POTUS 47. That RFK has chosen to run third party will siphon more votes from Joe than such will from "The Donald". I further believe that Joe will concede gracefully.

Possibly Joe's leaving Wash will be aboard an Acela 2 - and at the rate things are going with that procurement - locomotive hauled. I doubt if the Secret Service would deny such to a former president.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Possibly Joe's leaving Wash will be aboard an Acela 2 - and at the rate things are going with that procurement - locomotive hauled. I doubt if the Secret Service would deny such to a former president.

After all, when Trumann finished his term in January 1953, he and wife went to Union Station and got on a sleeper, I have forgotten what train, to go back to Missouri. And, at that time without any Secret Service escort, and I think with near no news about it.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, Former President Truman on January 20, 1953 boarded the B&O National Limited, and traveled in line space to St. Louis. Once there, the MP made a Business Car (PV) available to his party for the ride to Independence.

There were newspaper reports (can't promise this will work).

Not a rock star; just a man who served his country to the best of his ability. The Notable Scholars have ranked HST as #6 of 44 (persons comprising 45 completed presidencies).

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
An addendum to my immediate; there appears to be conjecture between The Times' report linked above, and other reports I've read.

The Times reported that Truman was provided by Eisenhower the "Magellan", Wash to Independence. However, other reports I've read said Truman rode in line space Wash-StL, and that the MP did provide a Business Car onward.

Possibly, after yanking out my 1953 TRAINS copies (I have 'em all), I can find clarifying information.

For what be worth, there was no love between Ike and Truman. I've read reports that the Inaugural White House to Capitol ride was "stone silent" and that Truman referred to Eisenhower as an "Office Boy" and Ike of Truman "a Corporal".

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
First I had ever heard that Truman was offered the Magellan for his trip home. The lack of mutual regard for each other I had heard. For my Grandfather, that was the main thing he had against Eisenhower, not to mention that in 1952 a Southerner did not vote Republican, as they were regarded as the party of the invaders. He always considered Truman about the best, given that he had to deal with the whole surrender and post-war operation, which he regarded as greater significance than completion of the war itself, plus he also thought that some of Roosevelt's actions were meddling with the general's jobs. (He was very attuned to what was going on in the military as he had three sons and a son-in-law in the military, which meant all the men in the next generation of the family.)
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From April 1953 TRAINS and Travel (as the publication was then known):
quote:
Then suddenly the oath-taking and parading and dancing were all over and the homeward rush was on. B&O's National Limited took three of the first passengers out: Mr. and Mrs. Harry S. Truman and daughter.
Unfortunately, TRAINS did not resolve the "Magellan issue". It further added to the conjecture saying Ms. Truman accompanied Mom and Dad, yet The Times' reported she went to New York to continue her vocal artistry career (for which she got badly panned by a well-known critic of the day).
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here's a photo from the Truman Library collection:

https://www.trumanlibrary.gov/photograph-records/2001-153

This certainly suggests, assuming the National Limited had an open-platform Obs in consist during '53, that the Former President traveled in line space.

Likely the only way to resolve this matter would be to ask Mr. PullmanCo to go over to the Truman Library and do some digging.

Of course, the Library seems to need a fact checker for railroad matters; might Fireman be a bit more "on mark"?:

https://www.trumanlibrary.gov/photograph-records/90-13

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Joe, I trust you also read The Journal, as do I.

A much younger fellow with a political career ahead of him is willing to step up and take the inevitable defeat by Trump. For you, who I know would concede gracefully avoiding another January 6, the moment would be like unto the French at Compiègne.

I simply do not know why anyone, with over fifty years of public service and having attained the ultimate prize every career politician seeks, would want to go out in defeat.

Again, back to the title of this topic, "Please Joe".

Addendum: November 6

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

NY Times/Siena poll has some bad news for Biden in almost all the “battleground” states.
quote:
… The results show Mr. Biden losing to Mr. Trump, his likeliest Republican rival, by margins of three to ten percentage points among registered voters in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada and Pennsylvania.

Mr. Biden is ahead only in Wisconsin, by two percentage points, the poll found.

Across the six battlegrounds — all of which Mr. Biden carried in 2020 — the president trails by an average of 48 to 44 percent.

Discontent pulsates throughout the Times/Siena poll, with a majority of voters saying Mr. Biden’s policies have personally hurt them.

The survey also reveals the extent to which the multiracial and multigenerational coalition that elected Mr. Biden is fraying. Demographic groups that backed Mr. Biden by landslide margins in 2020 are now far more closely contested, as two-thirds of the electorate sees the country moving in the wrong direction.

Voters under 30 favor Mr. Biden by only a single percentage point, his lead among Hispanic voters is down to single digits and his advantage in urban areas is half of Mr. Trump’s edge in rural regions. And while women still favored Mr. Biden, men preferred Mr. Trump by twice as large a margin, reversing the gender advantage that had fueled so many Democratic gains in recent years. …

In a remarkable sign of a gradual racial realignment between the two parties, the more diverse the swing state, the farther Mr. Biden was behind, and he led only in the whitest of the six. …

The poll results have led David Axelrod to call for Biden to drop out.
quote:
“Only Joe Biden can make this decision. If he continues to run, he will be the nominee of the Democratic Party,” Axelrod said on X, formerly Twitter. “What he needs to decide is whether that is wise; whether it’s in his best interest or the country’s?” …

Axelrod is credited for revolutionizing modern day campaigning for his winning media management strategy for Obama and Biden’s 2008 and 2012 campaigns. …

One year out from election day on November 5, 2024, Biden’s Gallup approval rating stands at 37 percent. That is lower at the same stage than his six immediate predecessors — Donald Trump, Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan. …

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If there is simply no Democrat out there, as I am starting to hold, that can beat Trump next year, why not run Kamala?

First, had she been a more effective VP, the Democrats might not have been in this predicament. Secondly, her political career is over.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Joe, time's up.

This is the window through which LBJ abdicated; he knew he was going to lose to whomever the Republicans nominated.

It's time to accept that Donald Trump is going to be POTUS47 and that you will likely be indicted and prosecuted (but unlikely convicted) for whatever (remember the German Prefect in "Casablanca"? "Find One").

Must you add insult to injury to the indictment by closing your fifty-year political career with a defeat?

I'm not sure if the SOTU will be the correct venue to announce your "abdication", but for your sake, it best be soon.

addendum: Maureen's fantasy is also mine.

second addendum: an Analysis piece also in The Times showing that there are factions within the Democratic Party that want Joe and believe he can win.

third addendum: Joe, I trust you read The Journal

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Off topic; a more expanded cut of the "Casablanca; Find One" scene noted immediately:

https://youtu.be/cOeFhSzoTuc

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page