RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » War on Ukraine (f. “Ukraine debacle”) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: War on Ukraine (f. “Ukraine debacle”)
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds a bit milder than what Trump threatened, which was to attack Moscow.
Posts: 729 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Divergent opinion amongstTimes columnists today. First Brett Stephens holds that Putin will "double down: i.e. Chemicals and Nukes. That he starts WWIII matters not. Now Tom Friedman holds otherwise. Putin is licked. He will soon realize it and just "walk".
Posts: 10432 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only one who can answer which one of these is right (Stephens or Friedman) or if the answer is "none of the above" is Putin himself. I don't know the political leanings of either of these two, nor if it would have any bearing on their thoughts here. Whether Putin realizes the current realities is uncertain which makes his likely reaction even less easy to predict. I think his actions thus far shows that his intent is to either rule or ruin. In other words, if he does not prevail, he will destroy everything so that there will be nothing left for anyone.
Posts: 2906 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tremendous expression of your thoughts, Mr. Harris.

If you chose to send such off to The Times as a Letter to the Editor, I'd bet they'd publish it - even though their standards are very high (I've tried without success several times in this life - and most who know me think I have good command of the Queen's language).

That Vlad is now targeting clearly civilian "harbors of refuge", i.e., the hospital, the movie theatre, is indicative of his "rule or ruin". He is rapidly learning it's "not so fast" to rule; so therefore, it is to ruin.

When this is over, if there is to be a Nurenberg, UNOHOO best be on the docket.

Posts: 10432 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, should you want to plagiarize the above and send it to the times, that is fine with me. I do not plan to do so. Although originally my view was for the US to stay far far away from this conflict I no longer consider that a practical option, although I still think that "boots on the ground" should be avoided unless and until there is a direct attack on a US facility or territory. The more I see of Putin's actions the more convinced I am that any success will only increase his appetite for further conquests until he is either defeated, deposed or dead. He should be treated as the cold mass murderer that he is.
Posts: 2906 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, I'll take a bye on that invitation.

We're largely, if not all, college graduates around here; and starting as Freshmen on campus, it was drilled into us how much a "mortal sin" was plagiarism.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mr. Harris, I'll take a bye on that invitation.

We're largely, if not all, college graduates around here; and starting as Freshmen on campus, it was drilled into us how much a "mortal sin" was plagiarism.

Funny thing, if you write specifications, almost the opposite is true. If it has proven to get the right products and is understood by the contractors and gotten past the contractor's lawyers looking for holes to shoot you through, you use it. Likewise, it seems that college literature professors love complexity and ambiguity. The opposite is true with specifications, and for that matter most other professional writing. You want to be clear and simple and avoid anything that can lead to more than one interpretation and conclusion. One of the thoughts in specification writing is similar to my father's concerning buying a new car: Do not buy a new car model the first year it is out. If you like it, wait until the second or third year so that the manufacturer will have found and fixed the bugs that only show up after the model is on the street. The equivalent in specifications is when mooching off a specification for the same type work, use what has been through construction by a contractor so that the holes are known and can be filled. I could go on for a while on some of the things that have happened due to lack of clarity in specifications, but I will quit here. Anyway, just saying that in the engineering word, plagarization is considered by many to be complimentary. Might as well. There are usually no copyright issues involved. In public works the plans and specifications are usually the property of the owner if not completely public information, so that the engineer that developed them has no control of reuse of anything not patented.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This Times article appearing today would suggest a Russian victory in the war is not an "open and shut" or "a matter of time".

Fair Use:
  • KYIV, Ukraine — The city of Kyiv covers 325 square miles and is divided by a broad river. It has about 500,000 structures — factories, ornate churches and high-rise apartments — many on narrow, winding streets. Roughly two million people remain after extensive evacuations of women and children.

To the northwest and to the east, tens of thousands of Russian troops are pressing toward the city, Ukraine’s capital, backed by columns of tanks, armored vehicles and artillery. Inside Kyiv, Ukrainian soldiers and civilian volunteers are fortifying the downtown with barriers, anti-tank mines and artillery.

Kyiv remains the biggest prize of all for the Russian military; it is the seat of government and ingrained in both Russian and Ukrainian identity. But capturing it, military analysts say, would require a furious and bloody conflict that could be the world’s biggest urban battle in 80 years.
Let's hope that against long odds, Ukraine can prevail. The world will somehow "be a better place" if they can.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This article from The Times describes conditions for two Ukraians returning from Poland. They will have to change trains at the border as Polish rails are Standard Gauge and those within Ukraine are Russian wide gauge.

Fair Use:
  • ABOARD THE PRAGUE-PRZEMYSL TRAIN — On the 12th night of the war, on a platform at Prague’s central train station, Vitali Slobodianiuk and Volodymyr Kotsyuba met for the first time.

They had few things in common: both were Ukrainians working in construction sites in the Czech Republic. On that frigid evening, both got on a train back to Ukraine to join the fight against Russia’s invading army.

Mr. Slobodianiuk, a 47-year-old former soldier, and Mr. Kotsyuba, a 35-year-old university graduate, shared a neat compartment on the sleeper train from Prague to the Polish-Ukrainian border town of Przemysl, sticking together, even though most carriages were virtually empty.
There are reports elsewhere that Amtrak has been running trains with reduced consists simply because too many cars have been Bad Ordered. The reports also suggest that many of the Bad Orders result from "passenger convenience" items such as working toilets and light fixtures. Does anyone think a Ukranian fleeing the war zone would be "uh, too worried" about any of such? So long as the car could stay on the rails, I don't think they'd be too worried even if the failed parts were running gear.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
There are reports elsewhere that Amtrak has been running trains with reduced consists simply because too many cars have been Bad Ordered. The reports also suggest that many of the Bad Orders result from "passenger convenience" items such as working toilets and light fixtures. Does anyone think a Ukranian fleeing the war zone would be "uh, too worried" about any of such? So long as the car could stay on the rails, I don't think they'd be too worried even if the failed parts were running gear.

Uh, no. These people moving in both directions are operating with a level of desperation that makes people clinging to the outside of trains in India look calm and orderly. It is simply far beyond what most people in this country can even begin to comprehend. A prime example of this level of non-comprehension is that supposedly when Zelenskyy appeared on zoom before congress some people complained that he should have been better dressed than he was. I think the man has more things on his mind than to be worried about whether his hair is combed or his (nonexistent) tie is straight.

It is like several years ago when there was a significant hurricane and flooding in New Orleans, the mayor is reputed to have said, send us Greyhounds. I am not going to ask my people to get on school buses. Multiple drownings. Aerial shots after the hurricane showed a lot full of school buses flooded to above the inside floor. Sorry folks, if I need to in order to escape a flood, the back of a truck is just fine with me.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here is coverage from "The Beeb" on train travel WITHIN Ukraine:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60866389

fair Use:
  • The air raid alarm in the station tower has just started: no bombs are falling, but nerves are fraying. The guard tells us to shelter with the refugees in the tunnel under the platform.

There are several thousand people here, in a long queue.

We wait among the anxious and exhausted, the families calming scared children, the elderly woman wrapped in a blanket and pulling a suitcase. She looks as if she cannot possibly walk another step. But she will trudge forward when the all-clear is given. This is not a place of options. Go forward, or run the risk of the war catching up with you.

Then a horn blares. A searchlight appears down the track to the east, a looming brilliance that grows larger as it approaches. Another horn sounds, followed by a conductor's whistle cutting through the clamour of the air raid sirens. A murmur ripples through the crowd. The all-clear is declared, and they can board a train to Poland.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Very much inclined to stay with what I said two months ago: "The more I see of Putin's actions the more convinced I am that any success will only increase his appetite for further conquests until he is either defeated, deposed or dead. He should be treated as the cold mass murderer that he is."

From some of what is being said it appears that Ukraine may be turning things around somewhat, but then who knows what the difference is between what is published and reality. I do not expect, given what has historically been the dictator's mindset that Putin will decide he cannot win and throw in the towel. Nor do I think that anyone around him is likely to tell him that to do so would be a good idea, or even that he is losing. There are some saying that the man is very sick physically with a cancer. This may hopefully hasten his demise.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Messrs. Harris and Helfner, Last week I was out in CT for, first, my 60th Reunion (held one year late) at South Kent, then to my Sister in Greenwich.

Her lines of thought are much the same as are yours.

Now regarding The War, let's say Ruskies and Yukes are at a stalemate. Russia now knows they are not going to capture Ukraine in its entirety, but can hold 'em off in the East and in the process, make Ukraine a landlocked sovereignty just as are many another Eastern European states.

So the only way out is a negotiated settlement. Despite Zelensky's comment that "Henry the K" is thinking 1938 (Chamberlain's "appeasement" to Hitler), both parties will have to give up something. In the case of Russia, a cease fire and reparations, but Ukraine to give up the lands Russia has captured and accept they are a landlocked state.

Now Ukraine has valuable agricultural exports such as wheat that represent exports paid for in "hard" currencies such as $ and €, but also on a humanitarian level, "Feeding the world".

Finally to get to what we largely gather here to discuss - railroads. Except for one major problem, the "products of agriculture" could be shipped West by rail to "free" European ports such as Danzig (whoops, Gdansk in newspeak), Antwerp, and Hamburg. The problem of course is that Ukrainian railroads are Russian gauge and Western European are Standard.

The thought of sustained transloading at the Ukraine-Poland border is simply unthinkable to me, but will this be an invitation to "Standardize" the Ukrainian gauge, or at least enough to reach the agricultural fields?

Thoughts, anyone?

addendum: I have now learned that such is actively under consideration (paywalled; but enough is available to draw such conclusion):

Railpage.com

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much depends on Germany, who just has too much power in the EU and frankly is favoring Russia in spite of Chancellor Scholtz’ rhetoric.
Posts: 729 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by irishchieftain:
Too much depends on Germany, who just has too much power in the EU and frankly is favoring Russia in spite of Chancellor Scholtz’ rhetoric.

He would be afraid not to. Germany is too dependent upon Russian oil and gas, and therefore subject to blackmail by Russia. The would or are providing mainly verbal support to Ukraine only to keep the Russian Bear from feeling his oats too much.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

They did not have to be so “subjected” as it were. Trump gave them the option of buying from the USA, which they turned up their noses at (because “Trump” and his opposition to Nord Stream 2) and of course Biden put a stop to long before they might have had to actually consider it. And since they are not boycotting energy shipments by pipeline, the so-called sanctions are all for show.

In other news, in response to a question as to whether or not Ukraine would have to cede more land to Russia (think “land for peace”), Biden said the following:
quote:
… (I)t appears to me that, at some point along the line, there’s going to have to be a negotiated settlement here. And what that entails, I don’t know. I don’t think anybody knows at the time. …

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
In other news, in response to "as to whether or not Ukraine would have to cede more land to Russia (think “land for peace”), Biden said the following: [QUOTE]… (I)t appears to me that, at some point along the line, there’s going to have to be a negotiated settlement here. And what that entails, I don’t know. I don’t think anybody knows at the time.[quote]

Ask the Austrians how well "land for peace" worked out dealing with Hitler.
Biden as a reincarnation of Neville Chamberlain I can see as a possibility.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The only way this war will end is with a negotiated settlement. The Ukranians have fought valliantly, but they are running out of men and munitions.

Of course, the Russians have proven to be more "Cubs" than "Grizzlies" on the battlefield. They have shown NATO that if they ever were to start a ground war against a NATO member, "we'd smoke 'em".

But the EU is tiring of the war, and there is "only so much" they will do for Ukraine. After all, "Vlad's gas pump" is a mighty strong weapon in his arsenal, and despite all the rhetoric of "we can get what we need" from elsewhere, Vlad is the cheapest and most plentiful source for such.

Yes, more arms are on the way, but how many soldiers can Ukraine divert from the battles to be trained on these weapons?

There are weapons within NATO's arsenal that the Ukrainians would be "ready to fight" with. Take the Soviet designed MIG fighter aircraft Poland has. The problem there is that some Ukranian верхній пістолет or otherwise "Top Gun" will "stray" into Russian territory and significantly escalate the conflict. It may not be WWIII as Joe has suggested, but it could "end badly" for Ukraine.

What either side will have to give up in a negotiated settlement remains unclear to me, but each will have to give up something.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Any "negotiated settlement" between Ukraine and Russia would look like the old joke about the Grizzly bear and the hunter. If you don't know that one, I will come back and tell it.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

No wars end with negotiated settlements. Only with a victor and vanquished.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm hardly about to say "you're mistaken, Mr. Helfner", and there is a lot of history supporting your position.

But now that it appears this conflict is becoming a war of attrition, there is no way that Ukraine can win. Russia just plain has "more of everything" needed to wage war. Even if they have been shown to be "The Three Stooges" on the battlefield, they just plain have more "Stooges" to throw into the fight.

Possibly I noted this earlier, but I had a History teacher in Secondary School (a private Boarding School) who fought (and was wounded) in the WWII Italian campaign. He once remarked in class that the only reason "we" won, is that we simply had "more of everything". If war was some kind of game with rules and each side started out with the same men and munitions, the Germans would have "whupped us big time".

But I can recall a line of script and a scene from one WWII movie or the other (I think it was "Battle of the Bulge") which showed the Germans capturing an American unit and the commander holding a parcel containing a birthday cake. He remarked to a subordinate "if they can ship birthday cake over here, what chance have we got?"

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

The war was always one of attrition when it started. However, Russia has more allies than the news media will admit, including Germany and Biden in spite of the sudden pro-Ukraine rhetoric that came out of both after Russia first pounced. All of the “sanctions” are utterly toothless, and Germany breaks promises to Ukraine all the time. Not to mention it was Biden who first said Putin “got to do something” against Ukraine, namely a “minor incursion” which of course was never going to be minor.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
For most of this time I have had a strong suspicion that Putin is of the "rule or ruin" mindset when it comes to Ukraine. In his mind it is essentially a part of "Greater Russia", and frankly his mindset is not too far beyond that of the Yankees in the 1860's. Basically, no matter how inept and corrupt the Russian military, it is operating much the same as Stalin's. We don't care how many people die, whether ours or theirs, so long as we win and we can accomplish that by sheer overwhelming manpower. I have heard, but cannot recall the source, that a 3 to 1 advantage in manpower and material will assure victory regardless of how incompetent the larger force.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ukraine has fought valiantly, but "it's over". Get to the table and salvage what you can.

Yes, US "superweapons" are on the way, but you need Ukranian men to fire them - and those men are largely untrained. Ukraine cannot lose 2000 men in one shot (Mariupol) and expect to remain a fighting force much longer.

However inept they proved to be during the first phases of the war, back when Russia thought they could conquer the whole country in three days or less, they simply have more "assets" with which to wage war. It's no different than how "we" were able to secure a beachhead at Normandy to land sufficient men and munitions so that eleven months later that "we" and our then-Russian allies were able to defeat Germany.

The "three to one advantage" immediately noted by Mr. Harris is fast becoming reality.

But the Western World is "tiring" of the war, The USA has enough other political and economic problems to occupy "us", and Western Europe would privately like to resume normal trade relations with Russia.

So Ukraine, "get to the table"; perhaps you can salvage one of your Black Sea ports to be established as an "open port" (Danzig/Gdansk post WWI) to enable movement of your agricultural bounty, but I think you must accept that the Donbas region simply will belong to Russia.

Addendum:

Opinion; Wall Street.Journal; July.9

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

That spells out the modern-day equivalent of a Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement. IOW, the independent state of Ukraine was stabbed in the back by the EU, and their ally Biden.

Don’t forget that the saber-rattling on Putin’s side has included and still includes threats towards NATO member states, current and putatively future. What will that lead to? Appeasement does not satisfy the crocodile’s appetite.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
IOW, the independent state of Ukraine was stabbed in the back by the EU, and their ally Biden.
Mr. Helfner, had Trump been re-elected, first, do you think this war could have been avoided, or if not, would he be of thought "let 'em fight to the last man?"

quote:
Don’t forget that the saber-rattling on Putin’s side has included and still includes threats towards NATO member states
I think the ineptness of the Russian Army (and for that matter, Navy) has been placed on display to the world. If Putin dared to attack any NATO member, "he'd be smoked".
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
My opinion is that if Trump had remained president this war would not have happened. One of his advantages internationally was the rest of the world considering him unpredictable, and a person that would be quick to react regardless of what others thought. Likewise, I feel that Biden's no backbone ineptitude is an essentially open invitation for China to attack Taiwan. Right now the Chinese are playing little games militarily all over the western Pacific just to see what sort of responses they will get.

The obvious ineptitude of the Russian military is mostly due to the low quality of much of the Russian industrial production plus the usual dictator's fear of anyone competent that could possibly take him out. Put along with this that any individual initiative in the military leadership and ranks will be promptly squelched, as independent thinking is unacceptable to any leadership at all levels. Militarily his operating philosophy is much like Stalin. Act as if he has unlimited manpower so that he can simply overpower his adversary with numbers.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Very insightful observations, Mr. Harris.

I cannot dismiss your thought how autocrats (such as I think Trump aspires to be, and may just be during his 47th, or depending on if Joe completes his term, 48th presidency) have a "streak" of unpredictability. Think Kim (Xi is simply too calculating) and of course Putin.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

If Trump in any way aspired to be an autocrat, he would have put the apparatus to enable that in place over the four years he was POTUS, and he would still be in the White House to this day, instead of being what he is, i.e. a private citizen. Bottom line. And he would have no support from his base in such an endeavor, since to become an autocrat he would have had to turn on them.

Comparisons of Trump with Putin, Xi and Kim are weaker than untenable based on policy, never mind electoral history. The three in question are all leftists whose policies in practice are much more like Biden’s.

This thread is not about Trump, ultimately. But as I asserted earlier here, Trump’s words to the effect that Moscow would have been struck militarily if Putin did what he did last May at any time between 2017 and early 2021 I find credible.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Helfner, I respect your thoughts regarding both Munich "appeasement" and the Austrian "Anschuls". However, both occurred before any shots were fired.

But in Ukraine, the shots have been fired, and simply Russia has more inept "stooges", and manning equally "stooge" weapons, to throw into the war than Ukraine has valiant fighters and weapons. In this case, it's not about surrendering someone else's territory, but rather bringing carnage of your own to an end.

These thoughts of mine were formulated after reading this Opinion piece appearing in today's Journal

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Then who does Ukraine’s territory belong to if not the Ukrainians?

We are witnessing a repeat of history here; and frankly, the modern-day Molotov I have referred to here did start long before the shots were fired, even dating back to when Putin annexed Crimea in 2014 (Nord Stream 2’s beginning dates back to 2011).

Not to mention, Putin continues to threaten other neighbors to Russia, some being NATO members. He has even scared Finland and Sweden into demanding NATO membership. That is very aggressive brinkmanship, and such is encouraged by having allies on the alleged other side.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Then, Mr. Helfner, what is the alternative? Fight to the last man will be just that. So what does one do when you are outnumbered by any measurement, and your allies, that will "only do so much", believe their economic interests are endangered?

Yes, whatever unit of measure of energy Western Europe (and even the USA) buys from Mr. Putin and his oligarchs represents a "Faustian pact with the Devil", they nevertheless acquire such from him.

Even if the patrons were "choking" when the Chicago Symphony performed the Ukranian anthem at one concert I attended, does not obviate the fact "it's all over" for Ukraine; and confronted with such, they had best come to the table and salvage what they can. Their sovereignty and an "open" Black Sea port (again; think Danzig) I think would be the best they can hope for.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

There would be no need to be beholden to Putin with respect to energy if the shutdown of US energy source production were reversed, of course.

Appeasing Putin with respect to territory will of course buy the appeasers more war. This makes war inevitable, especially with regard to the sad fact that no such thing had to happen.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
There would be no need to be beholden to Putin with respect to energy if the shutdown of US energy source production were reversed, of course.

First, I certainly agree with you on this point, Mr. Helfner. This "gas bad, electric good" does not enhance my lifestyle. I take road trips (at least while I can do so safely) and to sit around at a "charge station" for four some hours is "not too conducive". If, say, you use a vehicle 100 miles a day and it's a homebody (you never take road trips with it), that's fine as you just charge it up overnight in your garage.

Secondly, if Putin were dumb enough, or has dumb enough commanders, to attack a NATO member, he knows as does the whole world, he'd be "smoked".

Finally, when you have become overwhelmed in an armed conflict such as appears the case with Ukraine, not sure what alternative you have other than to come to the table. "Fight to the last man" sounds noble, but not part of Sun Tzu's playbook.

Addendum: Editorial appearing in today's Journal supporting Mr. Helfner's position.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
It should be obvious by now that Putin is not acting rationally. If he were, he would have quit as soon as he found out the Ukrainians were not going to fold in front of his approaching troops, but instead fight like their future depended upon it. (It does.) Instead, he is going for victory regardless of cost, and it appears that the Ukrainians are going to resist regardless of cost because they consider the results of surrender to be worse.

Understanding that should make all involved aware that if he decides that NATO or any NATO member is getting in his way, he is likely to respond militarily. Where that point is, he may not even have decided, but when it gets there, if not already past, we had best be prepared accordingly. One thing for certain, he is not going to send out a nice formal declaration of war when he decides that point has been reached.

The Ukrainians do and we should understand that any request for negotiations Putin will regard as a sign of weakness and will act accordingly.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First, allow it to be noted how much I respect the thoughts of Messrs. Harris and Helfner.

But the Ukrainians are confronted with the "facts of life" that continued support by the West of what is becoming a lost cause is only going to rapidly diminish as the adverse effect upon their economic interests is realized - and when affected, how much further support can Ukraine expect? (I for one, should "Vlad the Great" shut off or down the gas, will not be too happy going over to Salzburg next month should my hotel room not have working air conditioning; hey, if you are paying €80 a night, "waddayaspect"; but I'm paying €325 and "I expect").

All told, I hold it's time "for the table"; Geneva is a wonderful town (been there '60), even if I think Luzern is nicer (been there '71). While I think Putin would first demand an unconditional surrender, I think he would be content with the territories in the culturally Russian East Ukraine that he has captured. He hasn't yet captured Odesa; and that could become the "bargaining chip" for a "Free Port".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Troubling developments that I predicted regarding the new artillery weapons being provided by NATO to Ukraine:

Wall Street Journal

Fair Use:
  • But absorbing this new equipment, coming in dribs and drabs from different Western countries, into the Ukrainian army is proving a serious challenge.

“The current approach by which each country donates a battery of guns in a piecemeal way is rapidly turning into a logistical nightmare for Ukrainian forces with each battery requiring a separate training, maintenance and logistics pipeline,” said the Royal United Services Institute, a London defense and security think tank, earlier this month.

The Western artillery being absorbed by the Ukrainian military include M777 towed howitzers from the U.S., Australia and Canada, and self-propelled howitzers such as the Caesar from France and the Panzerhaubitze 2000, or PzH 2000, from Germany—as well as the U.S. M109 and the AHS Krab from Poland.

“None of these systems have that much commonality…Ammunition should be interchangeable, etc. But that’s not the case,” said Jack Watling, a co-author of the report, based in part on interviews with Ukrainian military and intelligence officials.
Also, another troubling development is that as Russia captures more Ukrainian territory, Putin will instantly "annex" such to Russia. This means should Ukraine plan a counterattack in the hope of reclaiming some of this territory, they have now committed an act of aggression against "Mother Russia". Who knows what kind of response that could bring about.

Nukes?

Ukraine's NATO "handlers" have carefully restrained Ukraine to prevent any such aggression. That is why they have likely avoided giving Ukraine any aircraft, such as the "ready to fly" Polish MIG-29's.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

London’s Daily Mail reports on who Russia wants to try Ukranian soldiers for alleged war crimes.
quote:
Russia has charged dozens of Ukrainian soldiers with “crimes against humanity” and wants them tried by an international tribunal led by Syria and Iran, the country’s top investigator has said.

Alexander Bastrykin, who heads the Russian Investigative Committee, said 92 Ukrainian “commanders and subordinates” have been charged with “crimes against the peace and security of mankind” over the war.

Another 96 people, including 51 of Ukraine’s top commanders, have been put on a wanted list which includes politicians and “nationalists”, Bastrykin added.

The 68-year-old said it is “extremely doubtful” whether the men could be prosecuted by the United Nations, due to what he called “the collective position of the West” in supporting Kyiv.

Instead, he told local newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta that the men should be tried by an international tribunal led by Russia’s partners. …

Iran and Syria should also be invited to join the panel because of their “independent position on the Ukrainian issue”, he added.

Both Syria and Iran have given strong backing to Russia’s war in Ukraine, and have appalling human rights records at home. …

Russia is known by its friends, and those friends have always been the most dangerous enemies of the USA, particularly Iran.

And if the “collective position of the (so-called) ‘west’” was indeed as Bastrykin said, then why are so many western nations still buying oil and gas from Russia?

It was not Zelensky building up forces on the Russian border for months on end, remember.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Associated Press reports today that two of perhaps as many as 85 missiles intended for Ukraine instead hit Poland, killing two people.

A NATO member was just hit. We shall see if the collective defense clauses of Articles 5 and 6 of the North Atlantic Treaty will be upheld.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Let us hope that cool heads will prevail. Here's more coverage from The Journal.

An unfortunate historical fact is that when Hitler started to bomb targets in Great Britain, he had specified military only. However, during a retaliatory raid, a British air crew unintentionally dropped a bomb on Berlin. That act resulted in the Blitzkrieg, which actually gave the British time to regroup their fighter and bomber aircraft assets.

addendum: the strike on Polish soil has yet to be confirmed.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page