RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Favorite Movie Involving a Railroad? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Movie Involving a Railroad?
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just any movie that has a train in it for more than a minute or two?

Mine is "Silver Streak".

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back To The Future - Part 3 comes to mind as a big one. They use a steam train to push the DeLorian to 88 mph with Presto Logs! Another one would be Best Friends with Goldie Hawn & Burt Reynolds, An Amtrak Train arrives into Buffalo Central Terminal, I'll mention that one since I'm from Western NY!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"North by Northwest"; also probably the most accurate (lapses, of course)one ever filmed.

Honorable mention: (accurate clips totaling one monute) "Man in the Gray Flannel Suit"

Second Honorable Mention: "Bad Day at Black Rock" (great footage; not very accurate).

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 07-04-2003).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- The opening scenes of "Hello Dolly" with Pennsy 1223 and the Strasburg coaches running down the Hudson River Valley.

- "The Sting" Card game in the drawing room. Night shots of the model train.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the 2 James Bond movies that have some footage on trains -- "From Russia With Love" has scenes on the Orient Express, and "Octopussy" has a scene on a train in some country in Asia, I believe.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm particularly fond of Double Indemnity, with Fred Macmurray on the rear platform of a steam train from Los Angeles to San Francisco (the Lark maybe?). Of course there are also The Lady Vanishes and Strangers on a Train--both excellent.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foamer13
Member # 2024

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for foamer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No contest, Uncle Buck! It's "The Emperor of the North Pole", with Lee Marvin as the wily hobo hero, Ernest Borgnine as the sadistic freight conductor, and Keith Carradine as the phoney wannabe. Authentic, non-stop action! Bloody, savage fights on moving trains! Scalding accidents! An unforgetable ending scene! As a former hopper of trains myself, I love this movie, own it, and watch it periodically. Number 2 favorite: "The Train", with Burt Lancaster saving French art from the retreating Nazis in WWII.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Von Ryan's Express" with Frank Sinatra and Trevor Howard. I aslo like the orignal "The Lady Vanishes" from 1939? not the remake with Sybil Sheppard. There was another good train movie from the 1930's with Robert Armstrong and Louis Wolhiem. I can't remember the name of it.
Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Narrow Margin" with Gene Hackman? I believe a large chunk of the movie takes place on a Via Rail Train somewhere in Western Canada, great movie!
Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second on "Narrow Margin" (Gene Hackman and Ann Archer). The surprises came freqently, and the final chase on top of the train was a real winner. I thought it was shot on BC
Rail. It was also a remake of a 1950's flick
with Charles McGraw and Marie Windsor (same title) with a similar (but not completely identical) plot

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Railrodder with Buster Keaton. Okay so not really a train but still one of the great railroading movies.
Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how about an oldie also called silver streak. it was about the the original burlington zepher trying to get medical supplies from chicago to denver on time to save someones life.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about "Murder on the Orient Express?"

Otherwise, I'd go with "Silver Streak" and "Narrow Margin."

Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes but which Silver Streak Mrhall53
Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made such an impact I can't even remember the title, but used SARTC for "Salinas" and other O.C. footage!
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, let's not forget "Breakheart Pass" (1975) with Charles Bronson.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i forgot about the the first superman movie with c. reeve when he saves what i believe is the coast starlight by using his body in place of a broken rail in the earthquake scene.

------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foamer13
Member # 2024

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for foamer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember "3:10 to Yuma"?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gene Wilder "Silver Streak," Unclebuck44. Haven't seen the other one. And "Orient Express" isn't out on DVD, darn it.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
The Gene Wilder "Silver Streak," Unclebuck44. Haven't seen the other one. And "Orient Express" isn't out on DVD, darn it.
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Superman is ineligible for this because it was in the movie for about 30-45 seconds.

I'm not sure if they used the Coast Starlight for this movie or just put together a train.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 1992- or 1993-vintage video about the AMTRAK Surf Line (route of the Pacific Surfliners) produced by Video Rails -- in the video, they obviously feature the old "San Diegans" with the F40PH's, but they also document where a scene in a movie called "Triple Indemnity" was filmed with an actor "falling off the train" as it crossed one of the lagoons down by Oceanside -- of course, they made up a train for the movie, but I am wondering if anyone has seen this movie "Triple Indemnity" -- if so, who stars in it? Is the movie any good? (is it worth finding a video of and watching?)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eligible: Under Siege: Dark Territory (SP/DRGW in the Rockies). Ignore the story line; great train pictures.

Semi-eligible: Mission Impossible I: a/k/a Implausible: chunnel train, with the catenary edited out (chasing helicopter needed the room)

Not eligible: In Cold Blood: brief scenes of ATSF diesel streamliners flying through Kansas

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't recall the name of the movie. I was watching it late one night on TV. Two passenger trains: one was a std. pullman of 30's/40's era and the other was a streamliner of the 40's/50's era. The movie might have been made in the 1940's or very early 50's. Joan Crawford was one of the main characters. It seems the story line involved characters on both trains with close schedules which were traveling in the same direction. It was filmed in black and white. I wish I could remember more. It was a good display of rail travel 50 or 60 years ago. That's why I enjoyed it. Did a search on google, but couldn't find the name of the movie. The scenes shifted from one train to the other. I was very tired so I never watched the whole film.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
maybe superman is elgible because there was also a scene earlier in the movie with a teenage superman racing a passenger train on the kansas praire.also all the scenes underneath grand central station like when the cop gets killed by a new haven deisel.

------------------

[This message has been edited by irish1 (edited 07-10-2003).]

vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like there are very few quality movies with train scenes in recent years.

The Fugitive (Harrison Ford) is a great film.

On the other side, when a train gets a leading role, like in Under Seige II, the movie is terrible.

(Good train footage, though)

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it doesn't involved Amtrak, but I like Union Pacific, that was a cute old movie. Some fun steam shots.
I would rather see a movie called Santa Fe since my great gramma grew up on the ATSF work trains.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any significant Amtrak appearances on the big screen?
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps stretching a bit - there's "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". It's about a subway train, but it is a train and I thought an exciting movie. And I have even grown fond of my 5 year old's Thomas the Tank Engine adventure: Thomas and the Magic Railroad. Model and steam and animated trains.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats the so-so flick some bad guys hijaced a train, all I remember are the high nose locos and the one last bad guy who redeemed himself and died when they derailed the train. he was like standing on the cab with his arms out. some nice shots of trains in it. no wait was there a high nose?? there was an f series unit on the consist in this movie.
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Vincen47 - many years ago there was a film called "Honeysuckle Rose," starring Willy Nelson, and there was a scene of an AMTRAK train racing along a road across the prairie -- I believe the train was the Texas Eagle.

Also it seems that in one of the better recent movies (maybe "You've Got Mail"?) there were scenes of AMTRAK trains.

irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
that movie was called runaway train with jon voit and eric roberts and a very good looking rebecca demornay in alaska. i believe there was also a movie by the same name with ben johnson about a ski train with no breaks coming down the mountain. one movie with alot of amtrak was called DISASTER ON THE COASTLINER with william shatner about an l.a. san fran train being hijacked with the vice-presidents wife on board. not bad if your a train lover.

------------------

trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
Perhaps stretching a bit - there's "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3". It's about a subway train, but it is a train and I thought an exciting movie.

I really like this one, too. It's very technically accurate.

Another train film I have a soft spot for is a '50s B-movie called "The Rebel Set," in which a gang of beatniks and other ne'er-do-wells robs an armored car while changing trains in Chicago on a trip between L.A. and Newark. I've only seen it as an episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" some years back, which should tell you that it's definitely not the best train film ever made. (For example, the scenes involving the armored car that are supposedly taking place somewhere near Chicago were apparently shot in the mountains around L.A.)

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I was a movie buff (movie theater manager, even) long before I was a train buff, I should have had something to contribute early on, but I just couldn't think of any!

Now, I think my favorite movie with a train is Trading Places, wherein two rich guys turn Dan Aykroyd into a street bum and they take Eddie Murphy off the streets and turn him into a rich guy. An Amfleet train (with European style compartments) plays a significant role leading towards the climax.

I especially loved a cameo by Franken & Davis as baggage handlers arguing over whose turn it was to drive the cart.

Regarding the Superman scene, it was brief, but it was clearly an Amtrak train he rescued. It couldn't have been the Coast Starlight, though, because it was out in the desert.

Out of curiosity I just played back the Superman scene on my DVD, and noticed it had a mixed consist of Hi-Levels, two Heritage sleepers, and a vista dome bringing up the rear! The dome car had Phase I paint. I could make out the pointless arrow. I think the rest of the train was Phase II, but it was kinda blurry.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 07-12-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Superman scene: there is a little town of Cerrillos, New Mexico (just west of Lamy on the SWC) that boasts being a filming location for both Superman and "The Young Guns". The Superman scene looks exactly like Cerrillos to me.

I'm sure this was supposed to be California in the film (earthquakes in New Mexico?), but this was a better place to film. High speed track. Off the Santa Fe mainline.

The #3 and #4 both pass thru Cerrillos at high speed about the same time in the afternoon. Good spot for train watching. Great scenery in the area. There is talk BNSF wants to abandon this line from Kansas to Belen, NM, which would reroute the SWC thru Amarillo - far less scenic!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
One current and I believe the latest with an Amtrak is "Double Take", starring Eddie Griffin and Orlando Jones.
SWChief
Member # 1841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWChief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the "Greatest Show on Earth"? That features a huge derailment of Ringling Brothers, Barnum,Bailey Circus Train.
Posts: 6 | From: Topeka, Kansas, USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the "ski train" movie was called "Runaway" and was shot on the D&RGW, which became the "Sierra Pacific" for the film. I also think it was made for TV. Ben Johnson was the engineer who had a heart attack, putting the train out of control. I can't remember much about it, except that it was pretty far-out.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"End of the Line" with Wilford Brimley

Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end of the film "Rainman" Dustin Hoffman catches the late lamented Desert Wind back to Chicago from California. You can hear the station tannoy announce it as the Desert Wind and call all the stops, but it is slightly spoiled by Hollywood license as the Amtrak carriages seen are clearly single level when the Desert Wind was Superliner by then.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page