RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » WASHINGTON'S UNION STATION

Author Topic: WASHINGTON'S UNION STATION
CHANGEATJAMAICA
Member # 3737

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHANGEATJAMAICA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a recent trip, which we will expand upon in future posts, we transited Washington's Union Station on the Crescent. The platform we used reminded me of the Toledo (OH) station; which in turn reminded me of pictures of bombed/burned out stations in Europe at the end of WWII.
I understand the concourse of Union Station has been refurbished and that the platforms for the NEC services are acceptable for the nation's capital, but the plaform we used was a genuine embarrassment for any city but especially for the capital city of the world's richest and most powerful nation.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 83 | From: MERRIMAC,MA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you concerns aesthetic, or have you observed conditions that threaten public safety?

Even with a tight budget Amtrak must address the latter. I am sure they would appreciate hearing from you if you've seen any potentially hazardous conditions on the property.

Aesthetics? Well, parts of any trip on Amtrak are an assualt to the senses, but it's the good parts we all love that keep us coming back.

I will be arriving WAS on the Crescent next weekend and I will keep my eyes open.

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, when compared with the Upper Level, the Washington Lower Level platforms do look a bit "rustic".

From the moment you alight the escalator at platform level, you are confronted with a rumbling diesel locomotive, and baggage carts moving about.

I agree, this is hardly the same "welcome' where Acelas and Regionals are boarded from high level platforms and the electric locomotive is ahead of anywhere a passenger would have reason to roam - and in fact today, if you did so roam, someone in blue sporting a badge and a Glock just might be asking "what's up'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to see the diesel locomotives. For me it adds to the excitement of train travel. But for the average point to point traveler they could care less. They'd rather see the quickest way to their coach and seat. I do agree that the lower level platform needs refurbishing.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it last Sunday morning, looks fine to me. The original canopies appear to have been recently rebuilt. The cast-iron columns and the roof support structure have been repainted in two shades of green. The roof deck above is new tongue-and-groove wood planking, very attractive and probably a replacement in kind of the original construction. Lighting is excellent. I admit that the stone retaining wall between the upper and lower levels isn't very attractive - I doubt if it's ever been cleaned. Also, the asphalt pavement needs patching or replacement. But, on the whole, I've seen much worse.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page