RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train Engine tour??

Author Topic: Train Engine tour??
gr8_northern_grndaughter
Member # 4217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gr8_northern_grndaughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone!I heard somewhere that the AMTRAK crew will give a tour of the train engine.... :As many times as Ive ridden AMTRAK I have never heard of this.My daughter (8) and I are going on a train trp in 2 weeks ( EB, and CS) and I know she would LOVE a tour of the engine.Anyone ever heard of this before? [Confused]

Thanks!

Posts: 13 | From: Whitefish Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget it
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman is correct. In these day of heightened security, etc. a visit to the cab of a locomotive has gone the way of a cockpit visit on an airplane. Your best bet is to watch for "Railroad Days" or something similar near you when the cab may be open for inspection.

One of my most amazing travel experiences was being asked to visit the cockpit of a brand-new QANTAS 747-400 during its flight from Sydney to Perth to be christened as "The City of Perth". When my companion, an airline employee, asked about a cockpit visit he was told "Off course, Mate. This isn't bloody America!" The Steward later came back to get first him, then me, for a long (20 minutes each) visit. The Captain, Captain Massey-Green, had just flown this aircraft non-stop from London to Sydney, at that time a record flight. This was all pre 9/11, of course.

Best,

Frank in sunny but soon to be rainy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gr8_northern_grndaughter
Member # 4217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gr8_northern_grndaughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking it was too good to be true!Oh well!
Posts: 13 | From: Whitefish Montana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll never know what you can get if you don't ask.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a special spot in a Homeland Security database?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did get a tour of the kitchen once when someone at our table asked. And the conductor may let your daughter try on his hat.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A true story that I just remembered.

One time my son and I were riding BART from San Francisco to Concord. We were in the front car and my son had his nose pressed up against the door to the operator's compartment. After we left Oakland, the operator invited my son to sit in the compartment. My son sat in the operator's chair and announced the stations. When we got to Concord--the last stop at that time--he let my son blow the horn.

Ask!

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It never hurts to try...
If you stand kind of near the locomotives, and spot the crew, (and smile!), you might have a chance... I've done it quite a few times!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The closest I got in recent years was at El Paso, where the crew let me poke my camera inside the door but nothing more. Seeing as the floor of the cab is somewhat high compared to ground level, the few shots that did come out were from the floor upwards and weren't any good!

As Kiernan says, it doesn't hurt to ask - but ask the engineers at a service stop, not the conductor nor car attendant. (The same goes for planes - ask the flight crew once you're at the gate and disembarking, not the attendants, nor in flight).

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capltd29
Member # 3292

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capltd29   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true, yes, just ask...

In one of my earlier days of amtrak travel, i asked our car attendant what the transition sleeper was, he then proceeded to take me into the transition sleeper where i was able to look into the baggage car as well as going into the employee lounge and eating donuts with him and some other crew members. His name was Larry on the Capitol Limited, I believe i saw him on my last trip. He's a nice guy.

Jon Parker

Posts: 143 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, how nice to see praise of Larry Picard/ he is our favorite car attendant. We have traveled with him for years. He alsways remembers our needs (no wakeup call, extra water,make up the lower berth only etc.) He also is very knowledgeable about the history of the various areas and if time allows will get on the PA and fill everyone in. I know which car is
"his" and always make reservations for tht car.He treats everyone as though they were his special friend. I have informed customer relations about him. It is so easy to complain so I always try to find someone on each trip to praise.

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not the computerized consoles of the last 15 years, operating Diesel locomotives are available in museum fleets throughout the Nation.

Additionally, static Diesels abound as well.

Google on "railroad museums" to get many. Google on "rent a locomotive" and many sites that allow folks to take their hand at the throttle pop up.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gr8_northern_grndaughter:
I was thinking it was too good to be true!Oh well!

However.....a number of tourist railroad operations around the country do sell cab rides! I've partaken at the Kentucky Railway Museum, the North Carolina Transportation History Museum, and the Royal Gorge Scenic Railroad in Colorado. At the Royal Gorge every railfan can 'live the dream' and take a turn blowing the whistle.

Oh yes........then there is the Nevada Northern Railway Museum in Ely, Nv where a railfan can live the ultimate dream.....rent the locomotive and be your own engineer......under the watchful eyes of a real engineer of course!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was riding Train 3 home a few years ago (post-9/11, if anyone cares), and decided to take some photos of the units at a service stop. I was there for just a short time when the engine crew called me up into the lead P42. They let me take photos and ask them questions for about 15 minutes. At one point, they jokingly asked if I wanted to pilot the train, so they could go back to the coaches and get some rest.
On another occasion two years ago, I taxied with the crew from a hotel, and the engineer, now a friend of mine, let me do the same thing. At a stop a few hours later, the conductor got a call on the radio for me to meet the engineer on the platform, and he handed me a track warrant with a bunch of info on the back about a career on the railroad, who to call, and where to go. It was great!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be careful how specific you are with your praises. Some of these things are undoubtably rules violations. No need for any of these rational and nice people to be on the receiving end of the the old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished."
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Right, I eliminated the name of the station before I posted just for that reason! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page