RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » ECONOMY ROOM (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ECONOMY ROOM
RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RICK777200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW CRAMPED IS THE ECONOMY ROOM? WHAT NICE FEATURES DOES IT HAVE? IS IT WORTH THE MONEY? (ON A SUPERLINER TRAIN.)
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should be mindful that the Standard Room (at one time marketed as Economy Room)is a one-person accomodation that has two beds. The second bed, to me, is there for situations such as an adult travelling with a small child, or two adolescents traveling together. Unless you have a Frommer in your backpack rather than a Fielding in your Abercrombie & Kent tote bag, two adults sharing accomodations should stick to Deluxe.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 04-10-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 04-10-2002).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four of us traveled in two standard bedrooms a year and a half ago. Though hardly spacious, it was quite comfortable and cozy. The seats are almost two feet wide. The upper bunk is pretty close to the ceiling so it is best for a smaller more agile person. A good way to envision the room is that it is as wide as a doorway, and as long as a bed. I think of it as more of a compartment than a room. The only problem is that the floor space is about the size of a serving tray after the beds are set up.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 04-09-2002).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Norman, Std BR for one person OK for two adults, quite cramped, go with the Deluxe for two.
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RICK777200:
HOW CRAMPED IS THE ECONOMY ROOM? WHAT NICE FEATURES DOES IT HAVE? IS IT WORTH THE MONEY? (ON A SUPERLINER TRAIN.)

The actual dimensions are 3'-6" wide by 6'-6" long. A Deluxe Room is 6'-6" long and 7'-6" wide (including the toilet annex)

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem that I have with a standard bedroom is that you are only able to see out one side of the train. There could be some beautiful scenery going by on the other side, and you might not even know about it.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem that I have with a standard bedroom is that you are only able to see out one side of the train. There could be some beautiful scenery going by on the other side, and you might not even know about it.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

The same holds true for the deluxe bedroom unless you leave the door open. I've found a lot of people leave the door to the standard bedroom open during the day anyway, so you can see from both sides. The best way to check out the scenery is from the lounge car anyway.
Just FYI, the upper berth on a viewliner has a lot more headroom & has a second row of windows which make it feel even more spacious. There's also some storage space above the vestibule for a couple of small bags.
Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is becoming an intersting thread.

I agree with Mr. Atwell's statement that the best way to assure viewing of scenery on both sides of the train is to visit the lounge car. After all, it's free, and there is no one hovering over you until you order a drink. Further, with a Standard, you cannot control what the occupant(s) across the hall are going to do. Possibly they could care less about, say, the New River and like to "nap" during the day (guess some people have "body clocks" that permit that), and as such, their blinds would be closed.

Now to move this post in a different but related direction. While over at railroad.net, I often contended that passengers whom would have preferred Deluxe, have had to settle for Standard on the Viewliner trains. Another thought to consider that I have posted elsewhere is the imbalance of rooms, be they Standard, Deluxe, or Special, between trains inbound to Chicago, and those outbound to the East. It would appear that 132 rooms arrive in Chicago on Trains 4,6,&8, while 104 depart on 30,40,&48. On the days 50 operates, the ante is up to 126. I realize that this takes the simplistic view that everyone arriving at Chicago is connecting to the East, but I would guess this should provide some food for thought and discussion.

But now that it appears that this latest "funding crisis" is just one more chapter in "Perils of Pauline", Amtrak should address that more Viewliner Sleepers are needed. There should be an addition of 50 more cars, with 25 configured 10Dlx, and 25 of 1Spl,4Dlx, Bar Lounge for First Class only. If this order would create an imbalance in favor of the East, so be it! If there were to be such, then there could be space available for "last minute" overnight business trips as had been advocated by Mr. Morris and others while at railroad.net.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'd like to see is some kind of true economy bedroom for one person. Might even give a 20-30% discount for one person in the viewliner compartment or economy sleeper on the Superliners. I've seen pipe dream plans for a slumbercoach type sleeper that could be marketed like the old slumbercoaches, without meals.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill
Member # 1543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely concur that there needs to be more balance in the sleeping car offerings. The Deluxe rooms may not be for everyone but there are enough of us out there now that are looking for creature comforts and a selection of economy and deluxe rooms will each have its own clientele. I know they are pricey without a big coach discount but they still work out to be competitive with a night in a hotel and a couple of good meals in the diner makes them a a pretty good deal. I priced the slumber coach deals in the 1960s from NY to Florida and they worked out to be competitve with a room at a hotel of the time.

With adequate equipment reserves Amtrak can adjust better to capacity constraints and seasonal fluctuations. Lets hope someone will heed the call as I am sure that these are of a modular constuction design that would allow for new configurations. I hear that Beech Grove is rebuilding some lunch counter lounge type cars, out of what, I do not know.
Would be nice to be able to have full service on the Silver trains ASAP as this is one of the few "long distance" corridors with multilple frequencies and really hate to see it downgraded.

Posts: 5 | From: louisville kentucky | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While on the subject of economy rooms, how about this as a suggestion: Bring back open-section berths. This could be marketed as a "coach-plus" - no meals, no shower, no video, and every berth can be sold (if every room in a Viewliner sleeper is occupied with only one person, there are 15 unsold beds and Amtrak receives only 15 rail fares.) A Superliner coach could easily be converted, I'd imagine - after all, a Superliner "Standard" bedroom is really nothing more than a section within a private compartment anyway; using he same hardware to upgrade a coach should be straightforward. And it still allows first-class sleepers to be marketed as distinctly different - privacy, meals, showers, newspapers, soft drinks - so they wouldn't necessarily "compete" with them. (For single level trains, take the Heritage coaches retired from the Adirondack and convert to section sleepers.)
Incidentally, I read once that Amtrak actually converted an Amfleet coach into a section sleeper as an experiment. Don't know what the result was (but I imagine the upper berth was pretty tight!)

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NorTex
Member # 1460

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorTex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim,

What do you mean by "open-section berth"? I'm not familiar with the term.

Posts: 12 | From: Bowie, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm referring to the old open-section passenger cars that used to be operated by Pullman. Two wide seats that faced each other that at night became a bed, with an upper berth (bed) folding down from the ceiling/wall. For privacy there would be a curtain separating the beds (aka berths) from the corridor. For more detail, go to VIA Rail's website; they still offer this type of accomodation. (www.viarail.ca/trainsone/en_uppe.html) VIA's berths are considered first class, probably because they are located in the same cars as the other accomodations and therefore there is no easy way to separate the services that the folks in bedrooms get vs. those in berths. Unlike a bedroom, you don't have to buy a room with two beds if you are traveling alone, but you could end up with a stranger sleeping either above or below you. Restroom facilities are at the end of the car. Upper berths are cheaper because they are a less desirable accomodation - no window at night, the passenger has to climb a ladder to get to their bed, and there is more motion in the upper due to being farther away from the car's center of gravity.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest problem I have with an open section Viewliner is that I fail to see how such a car would enhance Amtrak's revenue yield. Presumably a Viewliner car could have 22 "modules". First, since it is unreasonable to have "open potties" in the open sections and after subtracting 1 module for the Attendant, you would still need 7 modules for "potties" insomuch as Pullman Std plan #4194 called for two "pots" to service 6 sections, you would end up with the "traditional" 14 sections, or a "max" of 28 passengers. Existing Viewliners "max" at 30.

Railroads "in days of yore" tried economy sleeper arrangements. In fact, my railroad, the MILW, acquired new 14 Section economy sleepers that were marketed under the name of "Touralux". The only problem was there were no inhernet economics to justify a lesser accomodation rate. In order to justify such, there must be a "breakthrough" design, such as the Budd Slumbercoach that accomodated 40 passengers.

So, I think Amtrak already has the economy sleeper in place; it's called the Viewliner Standard Bedroom.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 04-14-2002).]

gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

Incidentally, I read once that Amtrak actually converted an Amfleet coach into a section sleeper as an experiment. Don't know what the result was (but I imagine the upper berth was pretty tight!)

Indeed they did. I rode one as kid on the Shenendoah, a short-lived overnight from Washington to Cincinatti. I remember my father walking the length of the three-car train, wondering where the hell the sleeper was, and his surprise at finding our room at the end of an Amfleet II. The car was a standard coach with the rear 2 or 3 seat-sections pulled out and replaced with one room on each side of the aisle. From what I remember, the configuration was similar to a roomette. I don't think there was a tiolet, though, which was fine since the bathrooms were right next door (must have had a thick dividing wall, since we didn't hear anyone in there). And yes, the upper berth, to which I was relegated, was tight.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for RICK777200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION. IS IT WORTH THE MONEY? THANKS
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry 'bout that, "Mr. 777200"--

Naturally, my answer is yes; but then again I'm not exactly about to "revisit" an overnight coach ride, or, in the absence of traveling overseas, a "redeye" flight.

But the beauty of a Forum is that someone will post here with equally cogent reasoning stating a sleeper is not worth it.

Further, allow me to comment on "Jim's" post regarding open Section sleepers, on which I had numerous rides in the past. A further disadvantage for the Upper Berth passenger is that the forward riding seat belonged to the Lower Berth. While I guess passengers away from North America would wonder "what's the big deal", "we" (US and Canada; lest we forget there are as good as no passenger trains in Mexico anymore) all seem to have a strong preference towards "forward riding" (which by way was a "booking" agent's term, in the same manner as was "POSH").

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The open sections still run on Via are enormously popular on most trains. At present, all overnight trains except the Winnipeg-Churchill train offer either the "Manor" or "Chateau" sleepers which contain three sections. (They used to have four, but one was removed for the shower compartment.) The Churchill run uses leased Amtrak sleepers. With the British-built Renaissance (ex-Nightstar) equipment about to be introduced, the availability of these sections will be reduced. The run on which the sections are most popular (the Montreal-Halifax "Ocean") will get the new cars in about a year and a half. Many times I have seen families of four occupy a two-berth section. This is very economical and explains their popularity. By the way, the widest bed in any Via accommodation is the lower berth of a section.

Eventually, the only service to have the sleepers with sections will be the western transcontinental run of the "Canadian." This is the train on which sections are the least popular. It is Via's intention to use the sleepers displaced on all other trains by the Renaissance cars to offer expanded service in the west.

I realise that open sections lost their popularity in the U.S. a long time ago. On my first Amtrak trip in 1972 on the "Coast Starlight" our assigned sleeping car had been replaced by a car which contained several open sections. Our assigned bedroom did not exist, so we temporarily sat in a section until another room was found for us. Other sleeper passengers passing by made comments about how unusual it was to see such a section. Some even looked down their noses at us as if we weren't really first class passengers. Thirty years later, it is still considered first class to travel in a section aboard Via Rail, but I doubt that it would be acceptable to re-introduce this type of accommodation in the U.S.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 04-14-2002).]

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have traveled on the Canadien in the spring of 2000. I traveled from Toronto to Vancouver & over the course of the trip used al 3 types of first class service. For privacy the roomettes & bedrooms were superior although the roomette was very confining. As to comfort the section was far superior. The bed was very large & I didn't have anyone in the upper berth, in fact very few upper berths were occupied.
As for travel in the US, I believe Amtrak would increase the yeild on economy bedrooms if they would offer a 20-30% discount onboard for single passengers using the room. For 1 person the fare is rather high & I have seen many rooms go unused, with a little onboard promotion these rooms could at least pull in some revenue that now goes down the tube.
Reggie

------------------

JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1978, 60 passsenger Amfleet I coaches 21867 and 21882 has 3 rows of seats removed and 2 modified Superliner Economy Room modules installed. They were returned to their original configuration in 1981.

The Shenandoah was a Congressionally mandated train, and as an overnight train was required to have sleeping car space. However a lot of "conventional" steam-heated cars had been crippled by the Big Freeze.
This resulted in the 60 passenger Amfleet I coaches and snackbars running in overnight service with one 10/6. Since the Shenandoah didn't justify a full 10/6 (1 coach, 1 cafe), the AmSleeper was used until the train was chopped.

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My philosophy is, if the train offers a sleeping car always book it no matter how short the distance. The economy (standard) bedrooms on superliners (viewliners are ok) are most unsatisfactory for anything other than day trips or very short overnight journeys. I have used them, for example, travelling from Barstow to L.A. or Flagstaff to Kingman. For long trips (which I define as anything longer than overnight plus a day) I always book a deluxe even though I am travelling alone. Coach on Amtrak is so horrid, that it is well worth paying the extra fare for a sleeper (if available) no matter how short the trip.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JAChooChoo:
In 1978, 60 passsenger Amfleet I coaches 21867 and 21882 has 3 rows of seats removed and 2 modified Superliner Economy Room modules installed. They were returned to their original configuration in 1981.

Thanks for the info. I had always wonered how they came oto be. They had struck me as so unusual that I later began do doubt that they existed, even though I had been on one.

Do you know where I can find any photos?

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would "Mr. Royaltrain" be willing to elaborate as to reasons why the Viewliner Standard is more acceptable than same for Superliner. I would be interest in hearing such insomuch as my thoughts are exact opposite.
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer the question about economy rooms in Viewliners, I believe they are superior to the Superliners primarily because they have a toilet and sink making then far more convenient over "going down the hall" in the Superliners. In addition you can actually adjust the heat and air conditioning in Viewliners as they have a real working thermostat unlike the Superliners. Finally
Viewliners have windows in the upper berth and more room to store luggage. Of course what one likes or dislikes is in accordance to personal preferences--however I'm willing to bet that if one took a poll most people would (if given the choice) take a Viewliner economy bedroom over the Superliner.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill
Member # 1543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Shenandoah twice, both times with the 10-6 sleeper.. It was two of the nicest Amtrak trips I was ever on. I once saw the Amsleepers and was a little bit surprised that they didnt catch on as the whole Amfleet concept was modular in design to allow such cookie-cutter configurations. Ill bet Trains magazine would have a photo of those sleepers. Does anyone else recall that the Shenandoah was actually conceived as part of a Congressionally mandated Washington-Cincinnati-Denver train..It never operated west of Cincinnati. I seem to recall some concerns about truck design and tight clearances on the B&O. In fact the cars assigned to the run may have had modified trucks.
Posts: 5 | From: louisville kentucky | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As stated earlier, I prefer the Superliner Standard to that of the Viewliner. The reason is simply known as space.

First, I do not think the in room "facilties" are an advantage; the principal reason is that when parties of two are occupying a Viewliner Standard, one must leave the room while the other "engages". This resulted in a situation I observed on a June Lake Shore trip where half-clad males were standing about the hallway. I have never observed same on a Superliner. The in room facilities result in a narrower bed than in the Superliner.

Further, the communal shower in the Superliners has considerably more room available than same in the Viewliner. Also, on now two occasions, I have had to remove the luggage stored in the Shower room simply so that I could make use of such. While to do so was annoying, I kept those thought to myself simply because there was nowhere else to stow it. The Superliner simply has so much more space for storing carry-on luggage.

To me, the walk down the hall "to go" is simply "no big deal".

I will readily acknowledge that the upper level windows give the Viewliner a "light and airy" feeling; also, the in-room video system hopefully means less of those incursions into lounge car "chatting and viewing" time. I would think that the video system could be "retroed" into the existing Superliner fleet; the upper level windows likely will have to wait for an order of Superliner III's.

But in short, in economy sleeper discussions both here and on railroad.net, I have made the comment that "the Amtrak economy sleeping accomodation is already here; it's called the Viewliner Standard.

Metman007
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Metman007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give me the Viewliner any day. I enjoy the shower (which no one uses), video monior and beverage station.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiousity......who here has ridden VIA using a lower berth accommodation (or remembers them pre Amtrak)? What is your comparison of comfort for the lower berth (section) to the current viewliner/superliner Standard Bedroom?
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no Pullman (sorry, sleeper!) berth more comfortable than a lower in an open section. It's almost as wide as a double bed (and I understand couples used to share them).

As to Superliner vs. Viewliner:

1) If you're in a Viewliner room by yourself, sleep in the upper berth. It's wider, more comfortable, and leaves you room underneath in which to dress, open suitcases, etc.

2) Seats in Superliner economies are wider and more comfortable than in Viewliners. However, the upper berth (even in deluxe rooms) is claustrophobic (my wife couldn't stand it, so I had to switch with her).

3) Bottom line: Sleepers built for the Pullman Company (whether from St. Louis, Budd, or P-S) were designed by people who had been operating a fleet of sleepers for more than a half century. The design quality of a roomette is so far beyond that of either Superliner or Viewliner, it's embarassing. It makes us realize how much railroaders have forgotten...

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick is not asking about Viewliner! If Rick is taking Sunset Limited ( like I always do) there is NO Viewliner! No reason to confuse him, however I second the motion that Viewliner is superior to Superliner.

Anyway, I saw you ask about the family room too. If you can book a family room it is a better deal and it is nice to keep the family together. However if you and the wife want to join the 80 mile and hour club, you may need seperate rooms :-)!

Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RICK777200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AM ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT THE SOUTHWEST CHIEF.
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southwest Chief & Sunset Ltd. both use Superliner equipment.
Rick, internet courtesy dictates that running a message with all caps is equivalent to shouting. Most of us don't like being SHOUTED at.
Reggie

RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
sorry.
gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by CarterB:
Just out of curiosity......who here has ridden VIA using a lower berth . . .

Two nights, Montreal to Winnipeg. I had a great time, but it was the Canadian, after all. It's hard to be objective, because much of my enthusiasm stemmed from the novelty of riding in such storied accomodation, but overall I preferred it to what I've seen of the Viewliner standard.

In my view, a section sleeper is a trade-off between roominess and privacy. A section is limited to 2 people (adults, anyway) even though there is room for four. In effect, each person gets a couch during the day. At night, it's the biggest bed on revenue rails. Daytime privacy is not that bad. The only other people visible are those across the aisle. Since Via's sections are portions of sleeping cars, there's minimal through-traffic in the aisles.

Via's section sleeper page: http://www.viarail.com/classes/en_serv_visi_cosu.html

reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daytime privacy is not that bad. The only other people visible are those across the aisle. Since Via's sections are portions of sleeping cars, there's minimal through-traffic in the aisles...........

I wonder why a light curtain couldn't be supplied to use during the day just to give a little privacy. Personally, I prefer to see out both sides of the train & spend a little people watching time.
Reggie

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 04-21-2002).]

gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by reggierail: I wonder why a light curtain couldn't be supplied to use during the day just to give a little privacy.

I always wondered that myself. With daytime curtains, one would basically have a room without bathroom facilities. Sections have been in service since the end of the 19th Century. No one ever thought of this?

On the other hand, it could be a source of dispute if two strangers are traveling in the same section.

Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me join in this interesting topic.

The Viewliner sleepers have grown on me and I do find the a/c controls and output far better than in Superliners where the hallway usually feels cooler than the room. The headroom and window make the Viewliner upper bed far better than the tight Superliner upper.

However, the negative part of the Viewliner standard room is its tightness due to the toilet. The lower bed is way too narrow as about 2 inches of the mattress are below the padded armrest and you cannot put your arm in between. The luggage storage space above the hall is okay but it won't store more than one large suitcase and a duffel bag. On a transcontinental trip, two people may be taking 2 large pullman bags plus other stuff. There is no other luggage space in the car. The video system is okay except when your travel companion wants to watch something that is annoying while you are trying to enjoy the passing scenery. The Viewliner shower has better ventilation, i.e., it doesn't get steamy inside the shower room and I find it suitable for changing clothes. However, they need a community potty to help those sharing a room with someone else.

Another comment re: Viewliners...the deluxe rooms are over the wheels and you get lots of noise if your neighbor has the blasted video sound turned way up as happened to us recently (the partition between rooms is not very thick).

Someone else had it right...the Heritage cars were the best for comfort though they should have had a shower. As long as someone else sleeps in the top bed and I have my fan with me, I'll take the Superliner.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have slept in VIA's bedrooms, roomettes, and drawing rooms but not their sections. However, on a recent trip my wife, son, and I shared a section for the day trip from Moncton to Halifax so we could access the dome "Park" car. At one point my son and I were tired and took a nap by pulling the seats together (minus the mattress) and didn't care about there being no curtain. Canadians are nice and most people up there are thoughtful. In fact, the couple in the section across the aisle did the same thing.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comments on sleepers-
I travel a lot by AMTRAK, and I have no real preference for the type of sleeper I am in, but I do know I will ALWAYS take a sleeper for an overnight trip. The space is not a problem, as I spend most of my time in either the sightseer lounge(on Superliners -- or the Pacific Parlour car on the Coast Starlight) or the "Amcafe" car (Viewliners) -- I enjoy the view out both sides of the train, and you can't get that too often if you stay in your sleeper room, unless the room across the hall from you is unoccupied (I have found that, in most cases, the people across the hall from me like to close their doors, or if the door is open, they have the window shade pulled down -- I can't understand how someone can spend 2 whole days on a long trip like CHI-LAX or CHI-SEA confined to that little room!!)

The Viewliners have extra space for storing luggage at the top of the room, which is nice -- Superliners have the "common area" on the lower level for storing luggage, and on one trip I took several years ago, I had suitcases stored below, and in the middle of the night, an elderly couple detrained and took my suitcases by mistake!! Of course, I didn't realize that until the morning, and it took about 4 days for my suitcases to catch back up with me! So I keep my bags in my room now, and Viewliners have more room available. No matter what accomodations, though, I usually open up both the top and bottom bunk in my rooms, and the top bunk is used for storing suitcases.

I have ridden on VIA too -- in 1999 I took a trip on the Canadian, and enjoyed that very much -- the roomettes are very nice accomodations (I was in a "Manor" car), and, as usual, I spent most of the time in the dome car which is only for the use of those passengers in whatever 3- or 4-car "section" of the train you are in -- great trip, and I got to know many of my fellow passengers who also spent most of the 4-day trip in the dome car.

So I don't care if I am in a Viewliner, a Superliner, or a Heritage roomette -- the other option is coach, and I will NOT take coach on an overnight trip!!! Sleepers are definitely worth the money!!

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 04-22-2002).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 3 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post removed by me... it lost my comments between my PC and trainweb.

John

[This message has been edited by PullmanCo (edited 04-25-2002).]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page