RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ready to try Amtrak (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ready to try Amtrak
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my first experience on a train, a steam engine passenger from Hancock, NY to Susquehanna, Pa., then to taking the last trip of the Phoebe Snow in 1966. I have always loved trains.

My wife and I lived in Japan back in the late '60's and we experienced the percision clockwork schedules of their rail system. In 2001 I was back in Japan and had the ride of my life on the Tokaido Shinkansen Bullett at 158 MPH from Tokyo to Osaka. What a beautiful ride.

We took the CountryLink XPT from Sydney to Brisbane and again we had an incredible experience.

Now we're up in our years and tired or driving. Our daughter is in the Atlanta area we've been looking at the Amtrak from either Syracuse, NY or driving to Philadelphia and picking it up there.

I came across this forum and have been reading every post that has to do with that route and other Amtrak routes. Interesting to say the least. Everybody had different taste and experiences when it come to coach or roomettes.

With gas, hotels and meals from the Syracuse area to Atlanta and back, Amtrak is a deal until you add in a roomette. Even then it's still not too bad. I'm tending to spend the daughter's inheritance and go for the sleeper, but the wife say's that she can sit the whole way and even eat her meals out of a cooler.

Help me convince her to go top shelf. I really would like to hear of some recent great experiences on the Philly to Atlanta and back route. How was coach? How was a roomette? Meals. What was the menu. Prices if we chose to go coach and eat in the dining car. What about the lounge car. Anything going on there?

We're looking at an October date so for now, I'll sit back and hope for some comments.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
from the Finger Lakes of NY

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DON'T EVEN THINK OF COACH; take it from one who has some 350K lifetime rail miles of which maybe 100K are Amtrak.

In fact, don't even think double occupancy of a Roomette; it is simply a single adult accommodation that has a second bed, such as for an adult traveling with a small child. Two mature adults evidently not on a budget? it's two Roomettes or a Bedroom.

Secondly, forget the precision you experienced with Japanese rail travel, While on the NY-Wash "Corridor", the trains run more or less on time; not so for the remainder of the system. Those trains "arrive when they arrive'.

But having said that, I find my Long Distance journeys that are made when rail travel is convenient to my needs (on a just completed trip to Wash DC and vicinity, auto was more so: unlike some colleagues here, I do not ride trains just to ride trains) to have more positives than negatives.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe,

Well, I can give you my personal opinion...but it's just that---my opinion (which means people may disagree with me, but that's okay).

This is how I see it. If you go to any Amtrak station that is served by long-distance trains and attracts larger crowds (such as Oakland, California or Seattle, Washington), here is what you can do. Observe. Just do some people watching. As you look at the people who look like they just got out of prison and are on parole, that would be your coach crowd. The people who look like they're probably decent people that you can sit down and have dinner with in the diner, that would be your sleeping car crowd. Are there exceptions to this rule? Absolutely. Am I being prejudicial in my views? Absolutely. But this is also reality. I did my little "observation game" a few days ago when taking the California Zephyr out of Emeryville, California. As I looked at people, I said to myself, "Coach. Coach. Sleeper. Coach. Sleeper." And guess what? I was 100% correct.

I know that this is not always the case. There are exceptions. There are good and decent people who will tell you about their fantastic experiences in coach on an Amtrak long-distance train. Great! More power to you. But it's not for me. I will NEVER take coach on an Amtrak long-distance train again. Ever.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Mr. Norman's advice, but if you and your spouse stand under 6 feet, weigh less than 180 pounds each, and are fairly limber for your age, I think the roomette might work out well for you.

The deluxe bedrooms are nice but VERY costly.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not contradict Smitty195 either, but would like to point out that many genteel coach passengers may be riding the train by day from intermediate point to intermediate point and therefore are not interested in sleeper rooms.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likely Amtraxmaniac, JONATHON, and Montana Jim - all young fellows, will weigh in with contrary opinions, but at the moment the score is Sleeper 3, Coach 0.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Likely Amtraxmaniac, JONATHON, and Montana Jim - all young fellows, will weigh in with contrary opinions, but at the moment the score is Sleeper 3, Coach 0.

Make that 4-0. But then there are exceptions. I have a possible trip in August that may find me in coach at an ungodly hour. So there are certainly exceptions to the generalization.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were traveling your journey I would get a roomette at the least but a bedroom is the most comfortable.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would consider riding coach if I were boarding a train in the wee hours or getting off in the wee hours......trips where I wouldn't benefit from a full night in the sleeper.

The last time I planned such a trip was in spring 2004. I was going to be on the Californina Zephyr Sacramento to Salt Lake City and didn't see a point in springing $200.00 for a roomette I'd be getting out of around 4:30am.

Sleeper bookings were a little slow that week though and an Amtrak representative called me a few days before wanting to know if I'd like to upgrade into the roomette for 50% off the usual fee. I said yes immediately......in case she changed her mind. The train was about 90 minutes late and I felt like I had gotten value for the room.

However......if you have the means, count my vote as 5-0 for sleeper.

Oh.......and one other point......the accomodation charge for the sleeper is what it is......whether you have one or two people in the room. I say this in case your wife gets the idea that she's saving money by offering to ride in coach even if you go for the sleeper.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also say "Go by Sleeper" and since it's two of you, get a full bedroom.

I also agree with Smitty195 in general, although I myself have taken the Zephyr in coach, more than once, from Emeryville to Roseville; I mean there's just no need for a private room for that trip, as Henry Kisor said.

Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FULL bedroom! Roomette could the real source of Henny Youngman's joke about his hotel room being so small he had to go outside to change his mind.
Roomette for one, bedroom for two. If you want an idea what it would be like for two, just watch any old Marx Brother's film, say a Night at the Opera. The scene in Groucho's "cabin" will give you some idea of two grown ups in a roomette.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife & I usually travel in the roomette. I can haul my 230# 5'11" body into the top bunk with minimal problems, and the price is much less than the deluxe room.

That said, we are fixing to take Amtrak from Houston, through LAX, to Seattle in a roomette and return via Chicago in a deluxe room {Thank you Amtrak Guest Rewards!}, starting on June 18.

Coach is NOT an option on any overnight train ride. I cannot sleep amongst strangers, my body's defensive mechanisms will not allow any sort of deep sleep.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count my wife and I as about 7-0 now for sleeper vs. coach, but I have lost count -- the point is, Mr. Urdahere, that most people on this forum choose sleeper for overnight travel!!!!

Welcome to this forum, and have a great trip!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also vote for sleeper. As NotElvis said, in cases where sleep is not going to be good anyway, coach would be a better choice. Still, it can be very hard to sleep in coach, not because of noise, or the people, but because you really can never find a comfortable position.

So a room is the way to go. Keep in mind that meals are included, bottled water, an occasional newspaper, the ability to use the VIP lounges in the stations that have them, access to a shower, no waits to use a toilet, a bit of extra privacy and quiet, a door you can lock at night, and more attentive "personal" service from the car attendants. You can also leave things at your seat and not really worry. And you BOTH get a window seat!

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost to a person, folks we've met traveling in roomette's say "next time it's a bedroom".
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Until any of the gentlemen I noted earlier choose to respond, I guess this topic link will suffice as the "Democratic response":
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to say thank you to all of you have taken the time to enlighten me with your suggestions. I have the DW (darling wife) reading these post and I think that the 8-0 towards sleepers is beginning to sway her.

I'll keep watching.

Again, thanks,

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make that 9-0! But I do disagree with the notion that you can't be comfortable in a roomette. My husband is 6 ft , I m 5/4 and we did well in the roomette for many years. Now we travel via bedroom because we can afford it.The first time my husband saw the roomette he was ready to get off the train. After he calmed down and got settled in he admitted he was fine. Your only problem wpuld be if neither of you is able to climb up to the upper berth. In the bedroom 2 average size people can share the bottom berth.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcks
Member # 7282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make mine a sleeper vote. Even on trips we take from KC to Chicago on the Southwest Chief we try and book a roomette for me an my Girlfriend. We normally will try and book a Bedroom on longer overnight trips we take. I am 5'11 210 and she is 5'2 100 and have not found any problems with using a roomette overnight however. We like the extra space available to us in a bedroom.
Posts: 14 | From: SE KS/SW MO | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mesaman
Member # 6720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mesaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't go for coach. I don't know what you mean by "up in years" but you are probably not as far up as I am. In any event from my experience, if you have passed 50 your old bones are going to rebel at trying to sleep in a coach seat. When my wife and I traveled in the 70s and 80s we found that a roomette was adequate for the 2 of us. Only when she became ill and didn't want to walk to the toilet and shower did we find it necessary to go to a bedroom. But if you can afford it, go for it, you will enjoy the ride either way.
Posts: 8 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also a sleeper man.

If we are talking Viewliner sleepers, I'm OK with both of you in the "roomette." (You're old enough to understand it's a Pullman Section with doors).

If we are talking Superliner, go for the Bedroom (once upon a time, footprint was that of a Pullman Compartment). The lower is big enough for two. Trust me on that.

The upper berth on a SL roomette is but 24" wide. My backpacking mats are wider than that!

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I rode from CHI to SEA in a roomette/economy bedroom and we didn't mind it a bit. I'm neither young nor small and it was fine for us.

We've had every room except the accessible bedroom and for us, it pretty much depends on the cost. Won't go LD in coach, though, at any price. Well, maybe if it was free. . . [Wink]

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If money were an issue, I would say go in the coach rather than either drive or not make the trip. I have done Washington to Birmingham by coach more than once, but the last time was over 20 years ago. However, for you I would say spend the daughter's inheritance and enjoy the ability to sleep horizontal. When considering the difference, remember that meals are included in the sleeper fare.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeper is the hands down winner, obviously with some exceptions. A roomette is fine for two people, a little crowded perhaps,but if you are trying to save some money, the roomette is a lot cheaper than the upgraded rooms.

We are looking into FTL-PHL for January..a one night trip. The cost of a roomette is well over $300, a little steep for a one night trip,so we will probably go coach and endure the night. Sometimes the cost is the prime consideration.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm not quite as magnanimous to the Coach product as is Mr. Harris. Quite simply, if there were "no dough" for auto (which is not necessarily less than Sleeper for one passenger; I noted earlier my just completed trip to DC where gas for such was $261.87, tolls of $29.65, and both a $15.79 en route car wash as well as a $504.57 30K periodic maintenance awaiting its return, for which I allocated $326.70 to the trip) or a "fly and rent", I would simply stay at home. AmCoach or Pooch?, I'd have to be much more "down and out" than I am in my "comfortable plus" retirement, and the trip would have to rise to the level of "family emergency".

To Mr. Graynt, I have two words of "Judge Judy" advice: "Pay it", or use other transportation.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, what about lodging and meals? Those add up as well
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Whoops, you got me, Ms. Train Lady; Holiday Inn in Akron OH outbound was $104.41, return (same hotel; "supply and demand" I presume) $135.39. Meals? you gotta eat anyway!

All told, $857.98 for the round trip journey Home to Fredericksburg and return. Make your own comparo with Amtrak Sleeper fares and auto rental rates, as I have long thought it unwise to report at any forum Amtrak fares for future travel (and somehow I think Mr. Hertz would hold same).

CNJ_1526
Member # 3931

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CNJ_1526     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might be worthwhile to note to Mr Urdahere that Amtrak's Sleeping Car service isn't near the Pullman sleeper service of the pre-Amtrak era.

If you are expecting anything in the area of pre-Amtrak first-class service, you may be in for a bit of a dissappointment.

Just something to consider.

Posts: 2 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that if you want the best experience out of the trip, then sleeper it is. However, I also note that the very easy act of SAYING "Get a Bedroom" is much easier than your act of actually PAYING for a Bedroom.

Roomettes on the Viewliners to me are much nicer than those on Superliners, thanks to the significantly extra amount of overhead clearance from the top bunk to the ceiling.

If I were the one footing the bill for the upgrade, I would go for the Roomette, but if a Bedroom happened to be available for about 30% more than the roomette charge, then I'd certainly snap it up.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will repeat what I have said here before: I have taken a number of Amtrak trips, both in coach and sleeper. There have been several times, after a trip in coach, that I have wished that I could have traveled in a sleeper. There has never yet been a time when, after taking a trip in sleeper, that I have wished that I had the money back and had traveled coach.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely put, Mr. Bowen. Add my name to the chorus of sleepers.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if all of this info doesn't convince your wife to book a sleeper, NOTHING will. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
We did it. Thank you all for your input. The DW finally said to go with a sleeper, not only one way, but both ways.

I have been watching the rates and can't believe what a difference a couple of days does. I did find a bedroom for about $20 more than a roomette but it was in December. Even in the same month there are huge swings in rates.

Finally have booked a roomette both ways from Phila to Atl and back. I expect gas prices to go up even more, so the rate booked now may look like a bargain the last week of September.

This is a great forum and I again want to thank all of you experienced travelers for your advice. I'm sure the Darling Wife will not regret taking all the advice.

Thanks again.

Joe

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Keep us posted on your return and have a super trip!! One hint..my husband took his clothes to the bathrrom on the upper level and got dressed there. That is a bigger room than the ones down stairs and also has more space than the roomette.where I had no problem at all. Also put a couple of hangers in your carry on. That way you can hang up clothing on the hooks rather than try to cram it all in the little closet
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
He will be on the Crescent, which is a single-level train.

Also, speaking of the upstairs bathroom (on Superliners).....I was on the California Zephyr a few days ago, and it was one of the original Superliner I's. I had forgotten that Amtrak had several SI sleepers with a WINDOW in the upstairs bathroom. That was interesting. I hadn't been in one of those in at least 20 years. I can't remember if all of the original SI orders were like this and Amtrak ended up covering up those windows with sheet metal over time, or if just a few were like this. Anyway, it sure was a surprise to open the door and see that I had a view.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
He will be on the Crescent, which is a single-level train.

Also, speaking of the upstairs bathroom (on Superliners).....I was on the California Zephyr a few days ago, and it was one of the original Superliner I's. I had forgotten that Amtrak had several SI sleepers with a WINDOW in the upstairs bathroom. That was interesting. I hadn't been in one of those in at least 20 years. I can't remember if all of the original SI orders were like this and Amtrak ended up covering up those windows with sheet metal over time, or if just a few were like this. Anyway, it sure was a surprise to open the door and see that I had a view.

That's Amtrak aiming to please (You aim too, please!). After all, the California Zephyr does have the most best scenery of any train in the system!
Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notelvis, it takes a throne to best view the majesty of Donner Pass.
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
As I said above, the wife and I are booked on the Cresent from Philly to Atlanta in September. I have booked from Paoli to Philly and then on to Atlanta, just so I don't have to mess with city traffic and parking in the city. I might be wrong, but that is why I am curious if there is long term, secure parking at the Paoli station? I have looked everywhere and find no info.

Any help would be appreciated

Joe

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe, have never been to the Paoli station, however, the Amtrak national timetable indicates overnight parking available for a charge. You may get more info by calling the 800# and asking the res agent to pull up the info in the computer regarding Paoli. You may establish more credible info that way...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Joe, as well as MDRR's suggestion, you might try calling the Paoli Police Department, 610-644-1224. Methinks the coppers would know about parking lots near the station.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page