RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Disappearing Threads

Author Topic: Disappearing Threads
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is the first time I've noticed this at Railforum, but the thread of Chrisg about an e-mail to McCain has disappeared, or would censored be a better term. I know it was getting substantially off-topic, but at the very least if Railforum is now a moderated board, then the moderator should post a reason for the deletion (censorship).
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was getting too polarized. It was probably best for it to disappear.

{Yes, I know I was one of the problems}

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the on topic posts get thrown out with the off topic ones. So if I write a post and someone takes the thread off topic, my legit post still gets the boot right along with the illegitimate ones. And that's exactly what happened to me, Chris, and a few others who took the time to write something thoughtful and relevant. Why did I bother?
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the moderators could do what British newspapers say after several letters-to-the-editor on a given subject: "This correspondence is now closed."
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to find out what happened to the McCain thread since I saw the new thread from royaltrain. I did not delete it.

the Moderator

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies to the moderator for suggesting that he removed the McCain thread. Perhaps some hacker was able to attack this forum.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the moderator didn't remove it, then Chris probably took it down.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it off because it went so off topic
and it is the right of the orginal poster to remove or the moderator.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Interesting. I hadn't realized that you could remove all the replies to your posting, I always thought you could only remove your post not those who responded. Perhaps in the future the person who removed the entire thread should say so, and thus avoid confusion.
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, so sorry it journeyed so off topic.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe buff
Member # 8125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe buff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all topics do that, we talk about the main thing, but we often wonder off. I've always noticed that in some, but only so far off is allowed.

--------------------
Modeling the ATSF-BNSF crossover times of the 1990s. HO scale.

Posts: 23 | From: IL in the USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the nature of political discourse -- somebody says something, another person has to argue, a third has to chime in, and before you know it we're hip-deep in huggermugger. I don't blame Chris one bit for removing the thread.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the topic originator does have the prerogative to remove material that results in discussion that the originator finds unacceptable. In this instance, I commend Mr. Guenzler's decision.

Be it assured, during my two terms as Moderator at another forum, had material taken such a diversion away from any matters relating to the railroad industry, such would have been 'aggressively" addressed.

For ready reference, here is the additional dialogue that is displayed when a topic originator "clicks" the Edit/Delete tab.

Note: deleting this post will result in the deletion of the entire topic, since this post is the first post in the topic

Finally, lest it be of concern, regarding my originated "GBN Takes a Joyride" topic, nothing has been posted there that I find offensive in any way. I set forth a trip report factual to my best knowledge; our "poets" around here took it from there!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without thread creep, I would argue, we might never encounter the serependitous joys of digression. That is the heart of both science and art.

For this reason I am no longer a participant on another railroad forum whose moderators so "aggressively" address thread creep -- without bothering to explain their actions -- that they stifle original thinking.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also occurs to me that this forum is very different from others in that many of us have become "friends". We know that a good discussion will ensue on both sides of any question. It is true some of us have made off topic friends but that is impossible for everyone. It gives us a new viewpoint on things. I would have never had the pleasure of "hearing " Ira's poems any other way.We have so many varing ideas and thoughts it is an education to click in. So from my view point hooray for a moderator who understands this.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think, Mr. Norman, that you implying that you would have "aggressively addressed" Mr. Guenzler's thread (through no fault of his own), had you been a moderator, really helps matters here - it was not a decision that was yours for the taking. Presumably this is why, through your own admission, you were no longer welcome at said forum.

A certain aviation forum I was at objected to some site improvement ideas I had and a moderator removed the thread. I expressed a complaint and the moderator himself was removed instead. Some moderators sadly become power crazy and let their own opinions guide their chainsaw rather than taking a view from on top of a suitable fence.

Thankfully our moderator here is very relaxed and I therefore wholeheartedly agree with Train Lady's views on this.

A rail forum I run (for my own software, not in rival to Railforum) is largely unmoderated, population around 700. Does it go off-topic? Sure. Is it friendly? Definitely. Would it be as friendly if it was heavily moderated to stay on topic? Unlikely.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Geoff, your forum sounds enticing -- can you give us the URL?

Are you perchance a pilot as well?

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
It also occurs to me that this forum is very different from others in that many of us have become "friends". We know that a good discussion will ensue on both sides of any question. It is true some of us have made off topic friends but that is impossible for everyone. It gives us a new viewpoint on things. I would have never had the pleasure of "hearing " Ira's poems any other way.We have so many varing ideas and thoughts it is an education to click in. So from my view point hooray for a moderator who understands this.

I try so hard to be relavant but every so often something like a pony or a bagpiper or a train haiku will distract me........

And there's not anything wrong with that sometimes.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, my website is http://www.simsig.co.uk - it's software that simulates the work a signaller (aka dispatcher) has to do - and it's free. The same core software was sold to Network Rail (as it is now), the not-for-profit organisation that manages the rail infrastructure (permanent way, signalling, etc) and to date is used in over 30 signalling centres for training and assessment. Overseas markets are starting to show an interest now as well. The credentials have gotten me into various places, including BNSF's NOC in Fort Worth, TX. (Don't worry, I'll give my ego a rest for the rest of the year now).

Pilot? No, but I do have an interest in aviation, partly ATC. I did play the odd flight sim but it took up too much of my time. My eyesight isn't good enough for the Real Thing.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page