RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder this time of year (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Empire Builder this time of year
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I was to book passage on the Empire BUilder next week, which direction would be the best given the hours of sunlight, east bound or west bound???
Given that it gets dark by 5pm now, which would be the best scenery??

Thanks!!

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastbound, towards Chicago. That way you get most of the mountainous bit in the morning rather than the evening.

However, if you're going near Portland instead of Seattle, then westbound from Spokane would be better for the river scenery.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff is correct. The westbound Builder approaches the Rockies at about 5 p.m., after the sun has dropped over the mountains. Eastbound you can see the peaks of Glacier Park. (After that the train traverses the vast and empty High Plains of Montana and North Dakota for hours and hours.)
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a west bound trip last January during a full moon and was delighted with how much the moon light reflexed off the snow. I was fortunate to have a full moon AND a clear night. Generally its better east bound.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdchops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well as it has worked out, I booked passage tomorrow on train 7 (last mintue but hey, life's short) out of chicago all the way to seattle. I wanted to go eastbound but it was easier to go westbound for me as I would have had to fly to Seattle tomorrow morning and didnt want to chance possible delays and miss train 8.

Do they still offer free wine tasting on this route???

Posts: 54 | From: Saint Louis | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Ms. Birdchops, it certainly appears that, as of a few moments ago, "the price is right" for a Roomette CHI to SEA journey on #7(5).

But reduced visibility of the Rockies is simply part of having the price right.

Hopefully American offered some attractive last minute one-way rates to get home. I guess they still have some vestige of an STL hub - about the only asset of worth they acquired from TWA through the merger (LHR landing rights had been sold off prior to the merger).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Yes the price was absolutely right. I take my own table linen and set the table with my own crystal wine glasses in the room. As a Stewardess with the aforementioned airline, my ticket home is not an issue, hence the last minue one-way rate is just right...free.
I've seen the rockies more times than I can count on the fingers and toes in a full 777, for me its 3 day cocktail party (yes, even on Amtrk I dress for dinner).
Did they take the china off this route and replace it with those plastic dishes? Miss Birdchops

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Birdchops, I too like my wine in this life, but my Riedel wineware stays at home. I do have sets of their "O-Riedel" line for both Pinot Noir and Viognier that I will take with me when going somewhere by auto to hook up with wine appreciating friends, but I have had too many "casualties' attempting to carry Wally World (well I guess I should say Venture in deference to your local "fallen flag" Big Box retailer) wineware aboard Amtrak in the past. Now I am simply content with Amtrak plasticware, which be assured never sees my home - even for a $3.99 "Binnys Bargain Bin' offering that I am going to "douse" myself.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
oh my you said "Venture"....ha. What a blast from the past that was. The trick in carry fine crystal (i.e. Wally World) is getting small glasses without huge stems (kind of what you get on board any airline's First Class). Voila, safe and remarkably strong.

Ok, off for a pedicure. Bon Voyage

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the forecast is for snow and cloudy for most of the Empire Builder route for the next 3 days. In this case you can't see much of the mountains anyway, but fresh snow can make many landscapes look very pretty. So even North Dakota and Montana prairie might look wonderful out the window in a warm train with a tasty glass of wine.

Sounds like a perfect spur-of-the-moment train ride to me. Have a wonderful trip, and wave to the left as you go by my house about 4 minutes out of St. Paul tomorrow night.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly agree that good crystal makes any drink seem much better. On a trip on the Ocean a few years ago I stumbled on a store in Halifax that makes good quality crystal at an affordable price -
http://www.novascotiancrystal.com/

The set of old fashioned glasses I purchased makes a jigger or two of bourbon/ice/ and maybe a splash of water taste so good. Especially when gliding along while ensconced in warm bedroom on a good train like the Ocean (in Budd equipment days) or Empire Builder. We try to take a couple glasses with us if not a lengthy trip.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Yes Twinstarrocket, I'll be lifting a glass
your way tomorrow evening no doubt. All packed.
I will try and get some pictures perhaps, and
post a little diddy online. I deffinately
look forward to a jigger or two palmland, it
makes the world such a better place LOL.

Ms. Birdchops

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great time and may the non-rev gods be with you on the return trip.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would think, from this thread, that Railforum habitues are not happy unless they are riding in a sleeper room with a good buzz going.

Since my tastes are pedestrian I'm content with the honest plonk sold in the lounge car. Plastic wineglasses, too.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
haha Henry, no this is definately not the case. I'd drink a good cabernet straight from the bottle. Its just a foray away from the stresses of every day living, including the upcoming Christmas travel crowd at airports across the country (ewwww!!!) and a time to blow off steam,
see the country from ground level for a change, and enjoy the scenery, snowy or otherwise, not to mention meeting some honest and unpretentious "real" people, not the kind you run into in the front of an airplane, nanny in tote.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Not meaning to turn this Forum into Airfan.net, but I wonder why, Ms. Birdchops, the Flight Attendants I know in this life, all of whom senior enough to hold anything, overseas included, they want so long as either American or United are in business, bid away from First FA and prefer "life in the Main Cabin"?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The in house F/A, who starts year 39 on the 17th, says "Give me the aft galley any day!" And this on an airline that still serves free meals to everyone.

Frank, ready to get on the Surfliner at 9:20AM headed to LAUPT.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Not meaning to turn this Forum into Airfan.net, but I wonder why, Ms. Birdchops, the Flight Attendants I know in this life, all of whom senior enough to hold anything, overseas included, they want so long as either American or United are in business, bid away from First FA and prefer "life in the Main Cabin"?

Consider that in the "first class" part of the plane there will almost always be one or more self-important buffoons who seem to imagine that the sole job to the flight attendant is to cater to their every whim and are more than willing to be irrational. loud and obnoxious if they do not get their was, therefore life is generally easier when in the coach part dealing with more ordinary people even with the potential crying baby - multiple kids possibilities.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdchops:
Yes the price was absolutely right. I take my own table linen and set the table with my own crystal wine glasses in the room. As a Stewardess with the aforementioned airline, my ticket home is not an issue, hence the last minue one-way rate is just right...free.
I've seen the rockies more times than I can count on the fingers and toes in a full 777, for me its 3 day cocktail party (yes, even on Amtrk I dress for dinner).
Did they take the china off this route and replace it with those plastic dishes? Miss Birdchops

I am in agreement with Birdchops who obviously likes to travel with some style and class. There was a time in my younger and more foolish days I would "dress" for dinner, meaning a dinner jacket (usually called a tuxedo in the U.S.). For some strange reason when I dressed this way I would notice the other passengers whispering and pointing.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I have met quite a few F/As who have confessed their affection for trains. They remind me of the World War II RAF bomber pilot hero who, when asked what his greatest life experience had been, replied, "Standing on the footplate of the Flying Scot engine on its way to Edinburgh at night." There seems to be a genuine attraction to trains among airmen and airwomen. Maybe it has something to do with the romance of an older technology of travel.
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy your trip birdchops. You deserve it. Do it to the max. Dressing up for diner is a nice touch. But I wouldn't be too formal! Someday I'll travel on that Empire Builder.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
train time 03:45 just left fargo on schedule. had rhe steak for dinner wirh an intereating couple (he road a bike from i.d. to key west and is returning home). the lower level lounge is set up differently on this train...the attending crew isnt behind a counter rather its a ' u ' shaped do it yourself experience. crew seema ok, the car attendant is retiring in 30 months. cold here!! more to come
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Curious about how you post messages from your 'puter while aboard the train, Birdchops. Some kind of telephone wireless thingy?
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Just departed wiliston, nd. so far this train gets a 'c', and does not reflect the marketing brochure amtrak puts out. the car attendant is fine, the dining staff seems tired and abused by the traveling public. i know what that is like. lunch in a couple hours. the train is only half full. posting via my sprint inspiration phone. more to come
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Lunch was a better experience as the staff on the other end of the car seemed more upbeat. we'll be dining in thr room at 6pm tonight. the wine fest is starting soon. Harve is next,and the train is only a few minutes behind. the ceiling is layered starting about 600ft visibility varies right now its improved over the snow of N.d.
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Things have turned around. the wine tasting was actually quite fun and the staff more relaxed and personable. my table Won three of the remaining bottles, two of them in my party. Needless to say, dined in the bedroom last night and finished off the bounty. Moved to a bedroom yesterday to finish off the trip. its workes out quite nice. overall the train was ahead of schedule so we layed over at shelby for 50 minutes, with someone leaving the train by ambulence. Arrived spokane on time. the seattle based crew are now on day 6. whew!
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Birdchops, how do you do that -- plug your Sprint phone into the computer and use that to transmit your posts? Are you able to surf the Net with it?
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

P.S. Is "Havre" pronounced "Harve," as Bret Favre is pronounced "Farve?" (Rather than the correct French manner of dropping the "r".)

I never hear the train announcements, you know. Just wondered.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAV-er, allegedly coming from a love triangle when one gave up and said "you can have 'er". Not the same as the French port which is pronounced "luh ahvr(uh)" - there is a hint of the R in there.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Henry (that's a cute phrase too), I constantly rail over the pronunciation of Favre. And we sure heard it on a continuous basis earlier in the year. But the Cheeseheads insist that it is Farve. Just like Prairie du "Sheen". There oughta be a law!

I think she is surfing the net on her phone. I can do that on my iPhone. In fact, I leave today on the cruise to Hawaii and will try to check in once we reach Hilo on Friday.

Birdchops, thanks for the report. I love live, condensed and unbiased reporting.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
I am on my spint phone, which is like a blackberry. arriving sea now, some 50 mins early!!! its been a lovely trip and goegeous country side. now i get to fight the airport crowd!!
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I once had a boss with the last name of Favre. He pronounced it "Fahv." But he was from Nawlins.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, Ms. Birdchops, I'm pleased to learn that the journey "turned itself around'. I'm sure whatever grape juice you were carrying helped the cause.

I hope you do not have a corkscrew with you that is near and dear. On a rail out air return journey to Denver last July, the one I was carrying (albeit I don't know what it is to check baggage - air or rail) became TSA contraband (actually I asked an examiner who was on break as I had my doubts; very courteously he said "it won't get through' - I heaved it).

My dearly departed corkscrew did provide our poet laureate around here with subject matter:

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman--

What sort of corkscrew did you have? They are not on the TSA's list and I don't know a Flight Attendant who doesn't carry one. (Can't always count on catering.) I always have one in my carry on.

The rules in other countries are less lenient. I lost one, as did my F/A traveling companion, to the folks at Gatwick a year ago.

Frank in sunny SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Ms. Birdchops--

Thanks for the great, realtime trip report. I hope you made it out of SEA without having to ride the jumpseat.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Apparently the problem was that the corkscrew had a small sharp object for removing a lead bottle cap.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Ah, now I see the problem. Mine are usually of the hotel mini-bar style.

Frank in still sunny SBA

birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Well, the empire builder trip of a lifetime is over, arriving in sea some 45 min early. leaving room E was hard. flew to sacramento and on to vegas for the night. enjoyed my time on the e.b.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Suffice to say, KSBA Frank, I've "gotta few of those" purloined from hotel room service (purloined?!!! hey I paid for 'em when my overpriced, overcooked yet cold chow showed up) laying about my bar at home.

But just think Frank, had I thought for one second "I'm flying back" and took one of those instead, our poet laureate here would have one less subject about which to write!!!

birdchops
Member # 6669

Member Rated:
Just a couple after thoughts now that im home. we were served a full hot breakfast on the last morning prior to arrival in seattle, which i thought was to be a cold selection. nice surprised. also word to the wise, when traveling in a bedroom make sure that if you are in one of those that can convert to a two room suite, remember that the sliding dividing wall is not sound proof at all, and you can hear everything in the next room. without straining i heard every 'ooooh' and 'oh god yes!!' from the couple next door. having not layed eyes on these two young perveyors of 1-800-hot-train, i was shocked to see it was the 60 something couple i had breakfast the day before hoot'n and hollar'n like they were 19 again. i just had to laugh and was glad i won that wine that afternoon...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page