RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quiz - State Capitols and Rail (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quiz - State Capitols and Rail
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiz time; and this one goes out to Ms. Sojourner.

How many of the 50 US State Capitols can one get to on a scheduled, heavy rail, passenger train, operating agency notwithstanding?

I THINK the above takes care of any "gray".

First to post the correct answer WILL be offered a prize from me (honest; won't say what here account possible copyright infringement).

I shall not respond until there is an answer agreeing with mine, and at that time, I will post my compilation.

Decisions with regard to any disputes are made by the sponsor (me) and are final.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
28, unless you consider east lansing MI, then it would be 29.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 28 doesn't include East Lansing (MI), Rensselaer (NY), and Lacey (WA).
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Zephyr, I was prepared to include all of the three stations you note - you can see the "un-dome" from one of them!.

When you think you have covered all the Grey someone in good faith finds more!

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Then I respectfully request my answer be changed to 31.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
31 is so noted
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's the answer?

Got a list?

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops,

Guess it hasn't been said yet. Not 31 I suppose.

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excluding Hawaii and Alaska, you cannot get on Amtrak in:

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Edited. Homer Simpson moment, yes, the Missouri River Eagle stops in Jeff City.

Carson City, Nevada

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Who else will add to the list?

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:
Excluding Hawaii and Alaska, you cannot get on Amtrak in:

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Jefferson City, Missouri

Carson City, Nevada

Cheyenne, Wyoming

Who else will add to the list?

You also cannot reach Madison WI, by rail, nor can you reach Tallahassee, FL, nor Baton Rouge,LA, nor Columbus, OH, nor Frankfort, KY or Nashville, TN. Bismarck, ND, Helena, MT, and Boise, ID, and Pierre, SD, cannot now be reached by rail.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Remember though that Santa Fe, New Mexico is now open to rail service via the regularly scheduled RailRunner which I'd say qualifies as "heavy rail". However the also regularly scheduled Santa Fe Southern, being a tourist line, doesn't fit in my opinion.

Isn't Phoenix, Arizona out as well? I know Amtrak is connected by bus. But that's not by rail. I think they have a light rail service as well, but again that doesn't count.

--------------------
Matt

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My list of State Capitols served by a passenger train.

California, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Minnesota,
Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma,
Georgia, South Carolina, North Carloina, Virgina, West Virginia, Missouri, Michigan ie East Lansing, Illinois, Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusett, Mississippi, Kansas, and Vermont all have Amtral Service.

Idaho, Wyoming, Tennesse, North Dakota and Florida, Arizona, Alabama and Ohio all once had Amtrak Service

New Mexico via New Mexico Railrunner

Montana, South Dakota, Wisconsin,
Kentucky, Deleware, Iowa, Maryland, Louisana, Maine, Nevada, New Hampishere, Alaska and Hawaii has never had Amtrak Service.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot get to any of them, unless you walk a good distance or take a cab. I do not know of any train stop at a State capital building.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Springfield Il is a 5-6 block walk. I just did it last month.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that Nashville, TN now has the Music City Star commuter trains Monday-Friday.

That would count as 'heavy rail' BUT it connects to no other heavy rail.

So.....I'll accept Chris G's list, add Nashville, and say 30.....that's assuming that we're also accepting Montpelier Junction in Vermont.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topeka ATSF Depot aka Topeka Amtrak to Kansas Capitol is 12 blocks.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Jeff City Missouri Pacific Depot aka Jeff City Amtrak is 400 feet to the East Corner of the Missouri Capitol.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Presley has submitted the answer, 30, I am looking for; Here is my compilation; X - Denotes rail passenger service available

AL Montgomery
AK Juneau
AZ Phoenix
AR Little Rock X
CA Sacramento X
CO Denver X
CT Hartford X
DE Dover
FL Tallahassee
GA Atlanta X
HI Honolulu
ID Boise
IL Springfield X
IN Indianapolis X
IA Des Moines
KA Topeka X
KY Frankfort
LA Baton Rouge
ME Augusta
MD Annapolis
MA Boston X
MI Lansing X
MN St Paul X (corrected)
MS Jackson X
MO Jefferson City X
MT Helena
NE Lincoln X
NV Carson City
NH Concord
NJ Trenton X
NM Santa Fe X
NY Albany X
NC Raleigh X
ND Bismarck
OH Columbus
OK Oklahoma City X
OR Salem X
PA Harrisburg X
RI Providence X
SC Columbia X
SD Pierre
TN Nashville X
TX Austin X
UT Salt Lake City X
VT Montpellier X
VA Richmond X
WA Olympia X
WV Charleston X
WI Madison
WY Cheyenne

I will review reasonable challenges (sorry, Mr. Mike Smith, yours is not one of such). Failing such, I'll arrange with Mr. Presley to forward him his prize.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should have a contest to "guess" the next state capital to get regularly scheduled Amtrak service. My top two choices would be Tallahassee and Des Moines.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Great quiz. Your list looks fine to me.

And nice job, Mr. Pressley.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow..... I feel like I just won the Kentucky Derby! Thank you, thank you.

In the interest of fairness - Chris Guenzler did the heavy lifting here. All I did was read his submission, note that he had not accounted for Nashville's Commuter Rail, and chipped in with that one tidbit.

So.....props to Chris Guenzler. He would have gotten the Music City Star were he able to connect to it from another passenger train!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
We should have a contest to "guess" the next state capital to get regularly scheduled Amtrak service. My top two choices would be Tallahassee and Des Moines.

With Wisconsin entering the Talgo Sweepstakes, I would not be surprised to see Madison, WI with rail passenger service within 5-10 years. I'd actually see the odds are higher for Madison than for Asheville, NC.

Perhaps the next quiz would be to name the State Capitols with heavy rail passenger service during 'reasonable' daytime hours. That eliminates Topeka and Columbia, SC; Little Rock and Lincoln too......any others coming off the list? Remember, Salt Lake City now has commuter rail although Amtrak only comes out at night there.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Even if it now appears that no reasonable challenge is forthcoming, I will hold things open through today. I have PM'd Mr. Presley advising him of his prize.

Oh well, I guess Ms. Sojourner was out sojourning, but I would presume the compilation will be of value, at least as a checklist, for her.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
At this time, with no challenges having been made, I declare the contest is closed and David Presley is the winner.

The prizes I am awarding are Xeroxed (whoops Konica/Minolta) copies of two editorials that DPM wrote during 1st Quarter 1968.

In one such titled "Excuse the First Person", DPM acknowledged he was breaking all the rules of journalism, starting with editorializing using the pronoun I, but he was watching what he loved and championed through the 25 years he had been "at the throttle" die a visible death. This not only included rail travel on trains that were the flagship, the public image, of long standing transportation companies, it also included point to point ocean transportation as it was during this era that the RMS "Queen Mary" was withdrawn.

The other editorial is titled "Santa Fe Calls it Quits" and was DPM's reaction to the Santa Fe, a road that was determined not to downgrade their product even when others such as UP, GN, and NP had clearly downgraded theirs, to cutting their service to a nucleus "one a day" model.

Even if I have not laid eyes on either piece in over forty years, they are vividly etched in my memory.

The pieces are not DPM the pragmatist, as was the case with "Who Shot the Passenger Train" who was formulating both the role of the future intercity train but also how that product would be delivered to the public (a separate passenger train company), this was the romantic DPM, who wished to share with his readers that something he valued, as likely they did as well, was 'all over".

They'll be in the mail by sundown, Mr. Presley.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Excellent -

I became a David P. Morgan fan when a subscription to Trains Magazine, a gift for my 10th birthday, began arriving at my house in December 1972,

I liked that DPM had an affinity for passenger trains, Southern Railway's 4501 steam locomotive, and Louisville Union Station.

This will be fun reading.....perhaps this weekend!

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I wasn't on line for a bit. Your list sounds about right, Mr Norman, though I don't always know all the light vs heavy metal details. For me, the goal is to get to these capitols with a train whenever possible, without a plane, and without me driving. I also try to avoid Greyhound when I can but cannot always.

I have actually been to 28, 29 if you count Juneau (I was there on a cruise before I was visiting capitols, so I went to the glacier instead!), but not all with trains. I mean, there usually were trains involved, but then I sometimes have taken a bus or gone with a friend by car to the actual capitol.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Presley--

"In the mail"

Ms. Sojourner, light rail refers to rapud transit and streetcar lines completel;y separate from standard railroad operations.. Heavy rail means what are thought of as railroads - namely the Class I and II industry as well as any passenger train agency operating trains that could interface with such.

It was necessary that I made that distinction for the quiz in that Phoenix has a "Light Rail" streetcar system, and otherwise the contention could have been made that it be included in the listing.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. NOrman: In the transit related field, "Heavy Rail" means such things as Washington Metro, Atlanta MARTA, etc. The railroads themselves are in another world, literally. Based on the FRA, a transit system of the above type or the light rail type is not subject to their regulation, so long as it is not connected physically or temporally to the railroad system. That is, something like the Baltimore light rail, which does host freight service is still classified as exempt from FRA regulation because freights and transit cars are not allowed on the system at the same time.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, while it was of no concern with the quiz, I should have used the phrase "over rail lines accepted to handle Class I freight traffic".
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman:

No problem. the terminology varies from place to place and can be confusing. What I said seems to be the current revealed wisdom in the rail and transit industry in the US.

Other places are different. For example, Hong Kong subway is called the Mass Transit Railway.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I am a mileage tracker and have pretty much reached the point that systems such as the DC Metro or Atlanta Marta do not count whereas mileage ridden on light rail vehicles DOES.

I make this distinction because light rail in many ways is a reincarnation of interurban transit systems AND because often the light rails are constructed over former heavy rail right of ways.

Bottom line - DC Metro does not count; Baltimore light rail does.

--------------------
David Pressley

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to add a couple of things to Mr. Norman's quiz. First, state capitals ("capital" is the town/city, "capitol" is the building) that had Amtrak service at one time, but do no longer:

Bismarck, ND
Boise, ID
Cheyenne, WY
Columbus, OH
Helena, MT
Montgomerly, AL
Nashville, TN
Phoenix, AZ
Tallahassee, FL

Second, state capitals without any rail service at all (freight or passenger):

Annapolis, MD
Carson City, NV
Honolulu, HI

Did I forget anybody?

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
I'd like to add a couple of things to Mr. Norman's quiz. First, state capitals ("capital" is the town/city, "capitol" is the building) that had Amtrak service at one time, but do no longer:

Bismarck, ND
Boise, ID
Cheyenne, WY
Columbus, OH
Helena, MT
Montgomerly, AL
Nashville, TN
Phoenix, AZ
Tallahassee, FL

Second, state capitals without any rail service at all (freight or passenger):

Annapolis, MD
Carson City, NV
Honolulu, HI

Did I forget anybody?

In Montana, Amtrak operated via Butte and never served Helena.

How about we compile a list of state capitals that had rail passenger service on April 30, 1971 but did not after May 1, 1971 when Amtrak began operation. For interest sake, tell us who operated that last train. For this list I have -

Frankfort, KY
(last served by the Ashland, KY - Louisville, KY section of C&O's 'George Washington'.)

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankfort KY at present does not even have Greyhound either. To get there I will have to go by bus to Lexington (From Cincinnati, I suppose) and then take a TAXI--or go by car (but then I'd have to find someone who is interested in visiting)

Annapolis may not have a train but it's easy to get to by Amtrak if you go to BWI and take the airport shuttle service. I really enjoyed my visit. And Carson City is close to Reno.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
About six months ago I read, on a Bus Drivers email group I frequent, that some charter company had proposed operating a scheduled bus service bewtween Louisville and Ashland via Frankfort and Lexington.

This service depended on gaining a subsidy from the state of Kentucky which, apparantly, did not materialize.

Maybe not having scheduled bus service to Frankfort is how Kentucky 'keeps the riff-raff' out.

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Frankfort KY at present does not even have Greyhound either. To get there I will have to go by bus to Lexington (From Cincinnati, I suppose) and then take a TAXI--or go by car (but then I'd have to find someone who is interested in visiting)

Ms. Sojourner, If "none of my business" I'll certainly respect, but in the past, you have noted that you are a licensed driver and own an auto.

I'm not certain what your aversion to rental autos happens to be, but if you are to complete your 50 state sojourn to each capital city using surface transportation, it now appears the only reasonable and practical way you will do so, in the case of several, is to rent autos.

Just wonderin' but if NOMB I certainly respect that.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Interesting sidebar -

Greyhound's website no longer lists service to Ashland, KY either where they, in the recent past, shared the former C&O freight station with Amtrak.

If you query a route from Huntington, WV to Columbus, OH they still show a scheduled stop in Ashland BUT the website will not sell you a ticket to or from Ashland.

Bizarre.

--------------------
David Pressley

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page