RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quiz - State Capitols and Rail (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quiz - State Capitols and Rail
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learn new things every day; thank you Mr. Resor:

http://www.50states.com/tools/use.htm

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A minor point, but Mr. Norman's list incorrectly lists Minneapolis as the capitol of Minnesota. St. Paul is the capitol, and the Amtrak depot is within the city limits of St. Paul. In the future, Amtrak will move back into the magnificent Union Depot in downtown St. Paul, and the capitol will be both within walking distance and a short hop on light rail.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have read, it looks like the chances of restoring Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha are very poor. However, should the route make a comeback, Helena would probably be a stop as the route could not go through Butte. The track through "Homesteak Pass", east of Butte, has been out of service for a long time and would be very costly to restore. Thus, Helena would be the alternative stop.

Does anyone know of the status of the closing of the Amtrak Station in Sandpoint, Idaho? I thought it was already closed, but cannot confirm on the net. I know it is in need of repair. I hope it remains..a last remnant of the Northern Pacific RR.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about St Cloud and those other station in Minnesota as they are all ex Northern Pacific.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
From what I have read, it looks like the chances of restoring Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha are very poor. However, should the route make a comeback, Helena would probably be a stop as the route could not go through Butte. The track through "Homesteak Pass", east of Butte, has been out of service for a long time and would be very costly to restore. Thus, Helena would be the alternative stop.

Richard

You are correct. If the North Coast Hiawatha were to return, it would now have to operate via Helena rather than Butte.

In July 2002, working with the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps, I drove a bus over 'Homesteak Pass' and noted that the railroad was still in place......but with lot's of scrub brush growing in the right of way and numerous places where the tracks dangled in the air over little washouts. The integrety of that roadbed is pretty much shot and the whole thing would have to be rebuilt for it to handle trains again.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it "Homesteak Pass" or "Homestake Pass?" The former sounds like a back yard barbecue specialty..........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My error: the spelling should be "Homestake Pass".

Chris: I did not think of towns, east of Montana, that the NP might have shared with the Great Northern. I tried to find a map of the Great Northern route and could not find one with good graphics. Here is a map of the Northern Pacific route:

http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/History/railroad.htm

If the North Coast Hiawatha does make a comeback, it would also be nice if they had a branch to Gardiner, like the old days, for people travelling to Yellowstone. I don't know if there are even old tracks, in place, for that old branch.

One of my favorite old NP stations is the one in Wallace, Idaho. I believe it is now a museum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Pacific_Depot_in_Wallace.jpg

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All stations in Minnesota west of St.Paul are ex-Northern Pacific. BNSF chose to use the ex-NP mainline instead of the ex-GN from St.Paul to Fargo. GN's mainline, and both the GN and original Amtrak Empire Builder used to run via Wilmar, and this is still an operating secondary route for BNSF. There was another GN line from the Twin Cities to Fargo that followed the current route of I-94 and was used by the Western Star to Seattle, but that route has been mostly torn up and turned into a trail. When Amtrak's Empire Builder ran via Wilmar, the North Coast Hiawatha ran on the current route of the Builder.

Would Livingston no longer be on the route of the North Coast Hiawatha? That is sad. I had a wonderful bicycle trip through Yellowstone coming off the NCH once. The ride up to the park from Livingston on an unused old paved highway with a strong tailwind was delightful.

Whoopee! My 1,000th post!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
From what I have read, it looks like the chances of restoring Amtrak's North Coast Hiawatha are very poor.
Richard

Given that no Congresscritter is pushing Amtrak to study the route through an amendment to appropriating legislation, I think that's a safe statement.
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Congratulations, TwinStarRocket, on your 1000 posts!

I'll be there in about 1 more decade.

Richard

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the 1,000 club TwinStar!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page