RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Fire in CZ dining car?

Author Topic: Fire in CZ dining car?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What brought me back here the other day was hearing a rumor in the Railpac newsletter that the dining car of the CZ had caught fire, gutting the interior, while being serviced in Oakland on or about January 3rd. Anybody know what happened?

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a coffee maker that was left plugged in, and it either shorted out or something and caught fire. The train was sitting in the Oakland Amtrak yard when it happened. The diner was completely destroyed, and there is major smoke damage to the adjacent sleepers and coaches. The entire train is still sitting in Oakland. For the next day's #6 that was to depart, the passengers were bussed to Reno where they caught a turned #5.

I'm not sure when the cars will be removed from Oakland, but from what I hear from a few AmEmployees, the sleepers and coaches have to be deep-cleaned at a minimum to get the smoke damage out. The diner would normally be totaled, but since Amtrak is already short of diners (thanks to the ridiculous Cross Country Cafe disaster), there is talk of rebuilding it. I've seen the pictures, and it would have to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. Holes were cut in the roof by Oakland Fire Dept, the sides are all buckled in, and the interior is all black and burned---both upstairs and downstairs.

I'm not sure why the coffee pot was left plugged in, and I also don't know if they have a policy to unplug appliances when the cars are not in use. I know that whenever I take a trip somewhere, I always unplug my coffee pot because it's just a machine, and machines can break! Back when I was a firefighter, I responded to several kitchen fires that were the result of an appliance (toaster or coffee maker) being shorted out and catching fire.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW- Coffee makers, toasters, all appliances are left plugged in on food service cars.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question--

How feasable would it be to offer "complete meals' in a #370XX Diner if the Lounge end tables were replaced with the standard Amtrak Diner booths?

One of these cars was assigned to the 2008 ABC-TV "Good Morning America" train; somehow I can't see Diane Sawyer chowing down on Cross Country Cafe fare. On this strength, I would think that the car's existing kitchen facilities can still prepare the 'complete meal', but since I've never set foot in one of such, I have no first hand knowledge if this is the case.

With 17 such cars on the roster and only 10 needed to protect the existing 21-22 (TE in forumese), 29-30 (CL), 58-59 (CONO) assignments, I would think, even if six cars were assigned to 27-28 (EB) as has been proposed, in place of the three to 29-30, there are still a few surplus cars that could be converted back to full Diners at 'chump change' cost and would represent considerable savings over rebuilding the Diner involved in the Oakland fire incident.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any attempt to utilize the Cross-Country Cafe cas as intended even been made at all?

How much you wanna bet that one CCC car cycles into California Zephyr service 'as is' with no modification whatsoever?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Presley, your comment suggest that the existing kitchen facilities within the #370XX can prepare "complete meals'. However, I would think that Amtrak should consider converting several of the cars back to existing #380XX booth configuration.

Now what will be interesting is if the plans move forth, and the likely outcome that 38034 (the car involved) will be stricken from the roster, to add Dining service to 27-28 and what kind of menu will be offered. Since 7-8 still offer "traditional' Dining service, this means that the Portland passengers will get "short changed' if only the Cross Country Cafe menu is offered. Somehow I think the Portland passengers will be directed to the Portland Diner - why risk an injury having some 85 year old. who never knew how to walk aboard a train, walk six cars forward?

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the number of the burned diner?

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The car number is 38034.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last winter I was on the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles. They substituted a Cross Country Cafe for the regular diner due to unavailable equipment in Chicago.

They served the complete meals I had experienced in regular SWC diners in the past.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe meals on 27/28 are currently served from the lounge car. So a CCC with more complete kitchen facilities should still represent an improvement over a box from the lounge.

If Amtrak wanted to do it right, they would have all sleepers at the head end with the CCC serving as first class lounge CHI-Spokane. There the CCC and Portland sleeper would be switched out and added to the coaches from the rear. But somehow I think we won't see that kind of enroute switching again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the CCC be just a Portland-Spokane car to minimize cost.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Eureka...the forum works!

Now that Mr. Meyer has stepped forth and reported that the "complete meal' menu was offered in a 37XXX car, I would think it quite likely that one such car will be regularly assinged to a consist set otherwise calling for a 380XX.

Simply "doing the math' shows that 29 380XX Diners are needed to protect the consists to which they are assigned. On Track shows that 38 such cars, exclusive of the likely lost 38034, are available for service. The 9 excess cars are of course necessary spares.

Just strike 38034 and be done with it.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Does anyone know if 38034 is a Superliner I or Superliner II? I can't remember where the number cutoff is for those orders.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think 38034 was in the consist for our trip on No. 5 3 years ago. When I heard about this diner fire, my first thought was that someone ordered the flatiron steak well-done.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that's the beef dish that tastes like a decent potroast, I'd think the gravy would have doused the flames before any damage was done.

Does anyone have photos or a link to a place with photos of the damaged diner?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Smith, 38034 is an S-I

But judging from reports from over where I have been banned (sometimes I can read such as when there is a link at, say, Google), the car became quite a "krispy kritter' with the heat causing structural damage.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thanks, GBN.....

I would be more than happy to post pictures if someone would tell me how to do it. I have a Mac if that makes a difference.

pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak lists 32013, 32085, and 33032 as "fire damaged" in the Oakland incident in addition to the "toasted" 38034 diner.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pismobum:
Amtrak lists 32013, 32085, and 33032 as "fire damaged" in the Oakland incident in addition to the "toasted" 38034 diner.

Two sleeping cars! That hurts. Even worse since 32013 is a fully refurbished sleeper.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boxed dinner on 28 brought to your room by the car attendant. I'm guessing the same thing is true for breakfast on 27.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page