RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Am I being too ambitious? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Am I being too ambitious?
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be that, health continuing to permit, I will be making my first - and probably last due to cost and age grounds! - trip to the USA in May/June next year as a 65th birthday present. I would be travelling across the Atlantic by ship each way as I am allergic to aeroplanes. I would be coming alone as my wife is equally allergic to travel!

I have roughed out an itinerary taking in places I really want to see but is it too much in what looks to be a shortish time. It looks at present like this:

17 May ETA New York (2 nights' stay)
19 May LSL to Chicago (2 nights' stay)
22 May EB/CS to Monterey (2 nights' stay)
27 May CS to LA (3 nights' stay)
30 May Surfliner to San Diego (3 nights' stay)
02 Jun Surfliner/Southwest Chief to Chicago
(1 night's stay)
05 Jun Capitol Ltd to Washington (3 nights' stay)
09 Jun Acela to New York (1 night's stay)

Is this too much within the time? I don't underestimate the size of the country but I really wanted to see the Pebble Beach and Big Sur areas although not if I am going to be too tired to enjoy them!

Re accommodation. I have looked at a few places on the 'net but would be grateful for any practical experiences please. They are the Hollywood Orchid Suites in LA, the Marina Inn at San Diego and Howard Johnson Downtown in Chicago. I am anticipating a max of about $130 a night with a nightly cost in New York of around $200. Is this realistic for the time of year I have in mind?

Sorry, this has gone on for longer that I hoped but I thought if I went into a little detail it would make comments more relevant. Thanks to you all in advance.

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen, are you willing to share with the forum 1) which ship will you sail and 2) Sleeper or Coach on Amtrak.

Now there are some here who will say those hotel budgets are quite adequate, but to me, they are woefully inadequate. I'd be thinking $400 in NY, and that is not going to buy any hotel likely you have heard of. Think $300 here in Chi as well as Wash.

Can't help with the West Coast; haven't "been out' in twenty years (not a boycott or lack of funds; just no reason).

Some here will suggest the hotel auction websites (Priceline, Travelvelocity, et al) and some will suggest booking your Amtrak travel Coach and trying to do an on-train upgrade. I suggest not, as to me when traveling, "the best surprise is no surprise".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also book hotels now with Amtrak.com. They also have some attractions. The place I stay in NYC is Radio City Apartments, it is a small hotel on 49th st, between 6 and 7. Close to Time Square, and Radio City. I would recommend the sleeper.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
StephenI would suggest you stay at a hote/motel outside the city near metro. For example.the Marriot at Key Bridge is a very nice hotel and is a short walk to metro. there are restaurants all over the area. They have good deals on rooms. some as low as $129. Go to WWW.arlingtonvirginiausa/com,click on visitors and choose hotels. There you will find listed all of them and you can go to each web site for info and usually pictures. I can't be of any help for Maryland.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen, I will be looking for a spectacular trip report next year! This is a trip I hope to take before too may years pass, and I fully empathize with the decision to take a ship across the Atlantic. As contra-intuitive as it sounds, life is too short to fly.

But to your specific questions, all I can help with is a recommendation for the Hotel Pacific in Monterey. This assumes you will rent a car for the Pebble Beach/Big Sur touring. The hotel was clean, roomy, quiet and comfortable and reasonably priced when we stayed there this past December. It is on the historical old-Monterey walk, and right by the convention center, the plaza, the aquarium etc. Mr. Toy might be able to give other ideas, but we go every Decmeber for an event, and plan to stay there again.
Link:
http://www.hotelpacific.com/html/monterey-lodging.asp

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip, Stephen. Seems you have allowed enough time in your stopover cities to not be exhausted by train travel.

My preference though, would be to spend a little less time on the west coast but add a few days in the interior. My vote would be for the one of a kind desert southwest (Bryce, Arches, Zion, Grand Canyon National Parks-accessible by the Southwest Chief at Williams Jct. or Flagstaff) or in the Rocky Mountain area outside Denver (CZ). There you could enjoy the spectacular mountains in Rocky Mountain N.P. or check out some of the great steam powered tourist railroads).

I think your hotel budget sounds fine even if you stay at some of the smaller chain properties like Marriott Fairfield or Holiday Inn Express. Check out hotels.com and go from there. But do stay clear of the low rent places. In Washington check out the touristy but interesting Hotel Harrington and in NYC, the Hotel Stanford. Both spots should keep you under $200. In Chicago (and some other cities), Club Quarters will get you a small but nice room centrally located, also for less than $200. The catch is, it's members only - geared to the business traveler. But non-members can reserve there on weekends.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Club Quarters is also the Central Loop Hotel:

https://www.centralloophotel.com/reservations.asp

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen W:
I have roughed out an itinerary taking in places I really want to see but is it too much in what looks to be a shortish time.

It's the kind of itinerary I've done before, albeit at half that age. You've got plenty of schedule padding so no problems there. The question is therefore are you physically able to do that kind of itinerary - a question that we can't answer, and which I don't expect you to answer in public necessarily!

Possibly the worst thing for you - or maybe not - is the constant changes in time zone, especially with travelling by ship at both ends. You'll get 8 extended days and 8 shortened days, though not all at once. The usual advice there is to sleep when sleepy and eat when hungry, but that's not always possible with hotel check-out times and Amtrak mealtimes.

Regarding hotels, the resident Marriott patriot has spoken, but I would choose a hotel based on location and price rather than name or brand alone - though Train Lady's recommendation near a metro station does fit the bill it would seem. I've stayed at awful Marriotts and spectacular two starrers (bear in mind stars are not based on quality, though services and quality usually go hand-in-hand). Tripadvisor is always a worth a look to ensure there isn't a bad trend for a hotel.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for a comparison shopping for hotel rates, I paid $129.00 for a one night stay in July 2009 at the Comfort Suites in Aurora, IL. The room had a small sitting area with sofa and coffee table separated from the bed by a 'half-wall'. A continental breakfast was included with the room.

Aurora is about an hour via commuter train from downtown Chicago and the Comfort Suites is adjacent to the commuter rail terminal.

I'm not a paid spokesperson or anything..... I choose this hotel because it was adjacent to the commuter station (ie - no surface transport other than my feet required) and because I could get a room with a view of the tracks....

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what can I say except I am so grateful for the time and trouble you all have taken to offer advice and help. I obviously have a lot to digest and research before I take further steps especially in regard to hotels. If I have to spend a little more than originally planned then so be it. I had been thinking of being in city centre hotels but maybe I should look at those a little further out of town too.

Re. my health, I had a 6 monthly check up on Thursday and my BP was normal which made my GP happy. So long as I take my daily pills I should survive! I feel fit enough to do the journey but will be mindful of Geoff's remarks re the time zones - not something I have to cope with over here.

For GBN: I am hoping to travel on the Queen Mary 2 and for all the appropriate train journeys I hope to have a roomette - I believe I will get a better price the earlier I book the latter.

A further piece of advice please (although I am sure there could be more requests to come before the event). I recognise the need to tip various people on the train. Regarding the food servers, in particular, does one leave a tip after every meal or at the end of the journey? Is there a recognised percentage?

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Sorry - me again. Looking presently at hotels and their prices (especially those recommended) and am wondering what percentage to allow for taxes as they do not seem in most cases to be mentioned. Is 20% a reasonable sum?
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many cities impose additional taxes upon hotel charges as they recognize that burden will not be borne by the local citizens. Nevertheless, I suspect 20% is a little higher than what you will average.

If you take the sleeper accomodations your meals are included, but you can estimate what the cost would be and base the tip on that. I tend to round it off between 15% and 20% and pay at each meal.

Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The custom on the train is to tip as if it were a restaurant. For me that is around 15%, but it may differ by individual preference and quality of service. Amtrak food service employees generally have higher wages than those in restaurants, so you don't have to feel guilty about going lower, especially if service is poor.

I tip car attendants about $10/day, usually at the end of the trip. A little higher if service is exceptional.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Do they provide a plate or something to put the tip on or do you just give it directly to the server before you leave? Sorry to sound ignorant but it's not something we're generally used to in Europe as these sorts of trains journeys are quite rare.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally in the diner I will tuck the tip under the corner of my plate or something on the table when I leave......

One consideration that I totally did not think of in regard to hotels - in researching inquire about senior citizen discounts. These could save you in the neighborhood of 10% per night.

I do not qualify for those yet but within three years I will reach the lower threshold for some senior citizen discounts...... I am already beginning to receive solicitations for joining the American Association of Retired Persons and others extolling the benefits of pre-planning my funeral.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hotel taxes are 12-16%, a lot. You should do fine with some of the chain motels like Ramada, Hampton Inn, etc. although I realize GBN would never stay there.

I do use Priceline for hotels and have obtained the Hyatt at Olive8 in Seattle and the Omni in San Diego for under $100. But that might not work out for your type of trip unless you can really plan ahead.

As for time zones, since you are on the train you adjust pretty well. Flying zips you through three time zones in five hours. The train makes the change more gradual and it has never bothered me. The same for your transatlantic trip. I am jealous of the QM2, want to do that.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen, I am sure you are aware that the CS does not stop at Monterey, CA -- you will need to get of at Salinas and then rent a car.

Concerning tipping for meals, as Notelvis says, yes, you can leave a tip on the table and the server will get it. For sleeping car attendants, that varies. Typically my wife and I travel in sleeper with 3 suitcases, and we tip the attendant $15 when we get off the train, although some here might think that we are "cheapskates" with that tip. Generally the attendants appreciate whatever you can give them.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Hilton's Hampton Inn brand is fine with me, Miss Vickie. Admittedly I do have a bias towards Marriott brands insomuch as the entire property (as distinct from designated rooms) is smoke-free, they have been extremely generous with a Child Welfare Agency client of mine, and regarding my Father, who clocked out from a Marriott managed nursing home, my Sister reported to me me that he had exemplary care from the staff (even if he "did not exactly cooperate"), and when it came to 'settling up', they were contacting me for delivery instructions of his endowment return BEFORE I even had my Powers of Office as his Estate's Executor.

Oh and just in case some are wondering, of the 19 nights I either have or have planned to be away from home this year, here is the "scorecard" (brand stays/nights):

Marriott Courtyard 5/6
Hyatt 1/4
Marriott Full Service 2/3
Amtrak 2/2
Holiday Inn Express 1/2
Comfort (nothing else in town) 1/1
Independent (mistake) 1/1

Oh and FWIW, my Sister just completed a four night stay at a Comfort in Black Mountain NC (a conference) - she said "it's OK" - and she is far more discerning in this life than am I (but she's not Laura Landro).

If one has wondered why I have a bias on auto rentals towards Hertz (even if Enterprise seems to be "the Official Auto Rental Company" of this forum), that arises because "they bailed me out" from my own negligence (left the headlights on - my own buggy takes care of that little 'detail') at 1AM on a November 2002 morning at Riverside CT. Somehow I think the response from an independent or loosely franchised auto rental concern would have been "secure the car call us in the morning".

Regarding the tipping guidelines noted, I concur with such, but please don't forget the hotel housekeepers. I'm at $5/ni regardless of brand. The addition of some six pillows per bed, 300 thread count bedsheets, 18" thick mattresses, has not made their jobs any easier. They are by and large non-Union (and where they do have a union, usually all the union does is collect dues and not too much else) as well as being on the bottom of the food chain and that the guest likely has no contact with them, makes the housekeeper a convenient 'forget me '.

Finally, 23 days Stateside, plus another 12 at sea, WOW; that's a LOOOOONG time away from home. The longest I can recall being away post-military service was 21 nights (Dec 81-Jan 82) - and that was because I was changing jobs/careers. Since then, my "max away" has been 10 - and since '07 it has been 6. But then, I'm really not a traveler; while there are exceptions, my travel is that necessary to "keep friends friends and family family".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen W:
Do they provide a plate or something to put the tip on ...........

The little trays, or salvers, went the way of the railroads and passenger service.

Salvers were an invention (at least on railroads) on which a waiter, who it was once presumed could neither read, write, or do basic arithmetic, would bring a diner his change and on which the diner would then place the tip.

Once upon a time, diners were required to write on their meal checks their order (again the waiter did not know how to write, or so the tradition bound railroads presumed). This also avoided any possible misunderstandings as to what was ordered in an a-la-carte environment in which each pat of butter had a price.

There was only one railroad, the Northern Pacific, on which a verbal order would be taken - and that was with the Steward. Amtrak wisely did away with that nonsense; if there was a misunderstanding, just replace it!!!

Finally, and for our British Subjects, I can recall my 60's travels on BR where there were no menus; the staff simply came through the Restaurant Car serving whatever they were going to serve - eat it or go hungry, but BR still wants their Quid.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Tipping the sleeping car attendant -

I'll generally tip $5 - $10 per day depending on the level of service. I'll hand the tip to the attendant upon exiting the train for the last time.

If the attendant has been mostly invisible during the trip (as some are), I will not make much effort to find them as I leave the train....

Bear in mind that I am generally alone when making overnight Amtrak trips and never have more than one piece of luggage. Generally all I expect from the attendant is to be available to convert the room from daytime to nighttime and back within a reasonable amount of time when I am ready.

--------------------
David Pressley

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
GBN: It works out that I will be away from home for 38 nights (it's now 7 nights each way across the Atlantic for some reason, maybe to save on fuel consumption or because Cunard needs some extra money from its customers) and I have to spend a night in Southampton prior to the outward voyage as trains from my home town couldn't get me there on the day of embarkation. Luckily, my wife is used to it as Government service often took me away for some months at a time. We seem to have managed though as we will have been married 33 years next January - whether we will hit 34 after this proposed trip is another matter!!

RRRICH: I realised that the train didn't go to Monterey but according to the Amtrak site there is a thruway bus connecting to and from Salinas -I hope this right.

David: Thanks for the tip re about senior citizen discounts - worth a try even if not successful everywhere.

Vicki: I intend to try Priceline as well as Hotels.com etc to get a reasonable idea of what's on offer. It's not fully possible at the moment because their calendars don't yet show the extent of my trip dates. I need to be patient for a few more days.
PS. Hope it is still "sunny in California" when I'm there otherwise I will be mightily disappointed. I am hoping to see Pebble Beach in all its glory. We get the ads over here with the Governor inviting us to enjoy the wonderful weather in your part of the world and, whilst accepting the hyperbole, it does look wonderful there.

Thanks again to all contributors for your continuing interest and kindness in helping this Brit - especially as we are not exactly top of the pops in America right now.

Stephen in hot Norfolk still researching!

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't hold you responsible for BP. Besides, we have our own villains here.

Best of luck with your trip. As I write this I am on the Coast Starlight leaving Klamath Falls and heading into the mountains. Pray for continued toilet functioning.

It is sunny and bright here right now and this is Oregon!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you are being too ambitious. But as far as hotels I am sure will want them to be comfortable, convenient, and centrally located. In large cities I suggest you stay at conveniently located hotels. This way you avoid a long subway, bus, or taxi ride unless you prefer to ride as such. Keep searching. For my trip in August I got an excellent rate at a W Hotel city center in Chicago (senior rate). It is near the train station and walking distance to places we want to see. Granted I have visited Chicago several previous times but for one overnight this is perfect.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your itinerary is quite similar to the trips I take. The ratio of overnight stays to train trips should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the time zones. When you travel by train, it's one time change per day and personally, I barely notice. I don't think I've heard anyone complain of "train lag".

What concerns me is the same-day connection from the Empire Builder to the Coast Starlight, which would have to be made in Portland. The current Amtrak schedule allows 4:15 between trains. Normally, this should be plenty of time but with Amtrak, you never know. For a trip like this, a missed connection could be catostrophic. You may want to consider staying overnight in either Seattle or Portland.

Another alternative would be to take the California Zephyr instead of the Builder and stay overnight in Emeryville/Oakland/San Francisco. The CZ is the most scenic train ride in America and would allow you to keep from adding another day to your itinerary. On the other hand, the EB is generally more reliable than the CZ and a late arrival could wipe out any time for sightseeing in the Bay Area.

Amtrak also has a Thruway bus connection from Salinas to Monterey and Carmel. It makes 5 stops in Monterey taking 35-55 minutes.

In LA, I would recommend the Days Inn/Metro Plaza (I'm not sure what they're calling it this week, I've heard it called both but it was the Metro Plaza when I stayed there in 97). It's just a few minutes walk from Union Station, opposite Olivera St. and on the edge of Chinatown. For a visiting railfan, It's the ideal place to stay, especially if you want to do LA "car free". When I stayed there, they let me check in at 8am after the SW Chief arrived early.

I also think it's wise that you're staying overnight in Chicago both ways. My rule of thumb for cross country travel is that a same day connection in Chicago is OK westbound but always stay overnight eastbound.

If you've never been to the US before, this trip sounds like an ideal way to see a very significant portion of the country with out the aggravation of air travel. It is very close to what I would recommend to any overseas visitor. Hope you have a great time.

P.S. Don't be afraid to ride the subways!

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep in mind that you will most likely pay more for hotels in the center city than in the "outskirts". In D C at least nearby MD. and VA. have many nice hotels/motels and an easy ride into the city.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with amtrak92's recommendation of the Radio City Apartments; while I have never stayed there I have heard nothing but good things about them. The downside is that they book up fast; call them early.

For Washington DC, if you want a center city hotel at a moderate price you might check out the Hotel Harrington. Again, I don't have personal knowledge, but I have heard good things about it.

Disclaimer: I work on the side as a (newbie) travel agent.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
the harrington is a nice place cetainly not fancy. It seems as if visiting school groups often stay there so if I were you I would definitely check to make sure there are none to be there when you are. The kids are good kids but full of exhubernce and do tend to be loud.
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A mighty ambitious journey, most of which I've covered at some point or other, and as a fellow Brit I would agree with the comments of the other posters.

If you go to Monterey you MUST visit the aquarium - it's stunning - and don't forget that Monterey is also home to our very own Mr Toy. We haven't heard much from him on the forum lately as sadly his health hasn't been too good but if you drop him a PM I'm sure he'd be delighted to give you some pointers to the town (especially the English pub which is run by an Aston Villa supporter - that's a soccer team for those not familiar with them but soccer's one thing not being mentioned today after our mauling by the Germans in the World Cup yesterday).

I know you can't go everywhere, but you could also consider a stopover at San Luis Obispo to do Hearst Castle or perhaps Santa Barbara.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
MetSox: Yes, I was a bit worried about the EB/CS connection so I am grateful for the suggestion re the Zephyr. Quite happy to have an overnight at the Woodfin in Emeryville. I take it that, if time and train permit, I could get a cab into San Francisco easily enough for a spot of sightseeing. The Metro Plaza in LA looks ideal - thanks for the suggestion.

Amtrak92/ehbowen: The Radio City Appartments look great value so am pursuing that option. As well as the Harrington in DC.

Still looking for somewhere reasonably priced in San Diego. Ideally, I would like a hotel near Petco Park but it's not an absolute esssential. The Marriott is an option but it is a bit too much above my budget at present. Mind you, my original budget is looking just a little underestimated at present so may have to sell off a bit more of the family silver!

Thanks again to all.

Stephen

cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple suggestions on your San Diego stay. The San Diego Trolley is a cheap and reliable way to get to Petco park. The Coaster is another alternative way to get to San Diego if you find a cheaper room in some of the Cities to the north. A few other sites to look at, yelp.com for reviews of eateries, pubs and hotels. Stubhub.com for tickets to ball games and other venues.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't figured out if Stubhub is a good thing or a rip off. Tickets for a Phillies game I'll be going to in a few weeks were sold out a couple months ago on the Phils' website. Stubhub had great seats when I looked, but at a $10 seat premium. Hopefully they will be worth it as I'm anxious to see their new ballpark.

But then I suspect our British friends would not be too excited about our game. Now if it were soccer....

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a great trip, and I think you've budgeted your time wisely, although I do agree with the advice that you might like to spend some time in the Southwest. It's pretty spectacular--but of course you will see the gorgeous red rocks soon after Flagstaff on the eastbound SW Chief.

38 days away from home can be a lot for us older folk with older stomachs--I'd advise you eat abstemiously at least some of the time, staying away too much coffee, alcohol, and deep fried food. And do get sleepers when possible--you will need your sleep! And try to travel as light as you can . . . . you may need to do a wash when you get back aboard ship or something (I think they have facilities, though I don't know the cost).

The CA Zephyr would indeed be the best train to take if you are going to Monterrey. The scenery (as long as not detouring) is, I agree, the most spectacular of all Amtrak's trains. I think you might be too exhausted to go into San Francisco, however--unless you decide to stay a second night. Book early for the best sleeper prices.

Re San Diego: When I was there in 2004 or 5, I stayed for a very low price at the somewhat dumpy Comfort Inn Downtown, 719 Ash St btw 7th & 8th, 619-232-2525, 800-404-6835, a bit up the hill from the sights Downtown but still not too far. Across the street was a Quality Inn, on Ash again btw 7th & 8th, with the same ownership--it looked a little nicer to me. If you can get a good price, I'd go with the better located Best Western Bayside Inn over either of these, 555 W Ash nr Columbia, 619-233-7500, 800-341-1818, www.baysideinn.com. And someone once recommended the Hampton Inn Downtwon, 1531 Pacific Hwy nr Hawthorn, 619-233-8408, 1-800-HAMPTON. Many of the hotels in downtown San Diego have free shuttle pick up at the train station if ou phone when you get in; they will also drop you up at Balboa Park etc.

I also second the Harrington in Washington DC. And in NYC you can certainly get a hotel for under $250; I think you should be able to get one for $179 plus tax but do be careful to stay in one that is an OK location--check with us here. My friend just stayed at Hotel 17 for just $129 but that is with shared toilets; I am going to check with her and see how that worked out--location is fine, though. (Summers are usually cheaper in NYC, too, but in May it won't be summer quite yet.)

Chicago hotels can also be pricey. If you can get a good deal with Club Quarters there, take it--location is very good.

Unless you are renting cars, I do not recommend staying outside of downtown in most cities when you have such a short time in each place. It's tiring running around with luggage, and if you have to pay for taxis, the savings are diminished.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, Stephen, I would join Palmland in recommending that, if at all possible, you try to work in some of the spectacular National Park scenery on your trip. The Grand Canyon should be on everyone's "bucket list" (as in, things I must do before I "kick the bucket").

The Grand Canyon railroad offers a one-day package for Amtrak travelers; they will pick you up at the Williams Junction station at oh-dark-thirty of the morning, give you a coupon for breakfast and dinner at their (very good) buffet restaurant, transport you to the rim of the canyon and back in restored classic railroad cars with live onboard entertainment along the way (tips strongly encouraged), and provide you a nights lodging with an early wake-up call and coffee and danish before taking you to catch your eastbound SWC.

The only caveat I would suggest is to NOT book the cheapest (Budd coach) class; the equipment is former commuter cars with seats that would be adequate for a thirty minute commute but after a two hour trip leave you feeling that they must have been designed by Torquemada. Book at least the "first class" seats, or even better, dome seats.

If not the Grand Canyon, then you should look into Glacier N.P. if you take the Empire Builder. I defer to the other members of the forum for detailed recommendations there.

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen,
My last couple baseball/train trips to San Diego I stayed at the Holiday Inn- On the Bay. Balcony room overlooks Star of Inida and Midway Aircraft Carrier. It is a short walk to the Amtrak station/trolley station for easy access to Petco Park.

In Chicago I have had good luck at the La Quinta Inn on Franklin & Madison. They opened within the last couple years and I got an introductory rate. I have been back a couple times since for single night stays. Its not too far from Union Station and the El.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my 2002 trip (see travelogue in Train Web "travelogues" section), I stayed at the downtown Hampton Inn in San Diego, and it was very nice, and within walking distance of the AMTRAK station. Whether it is still there and is still a Hampton Inn I do not know, but you may want to check it out.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Thanks again for the suggestions etc. I wish I had another month so that I could go to other places than those I have had to choose but maybe (if I win on Mr Lottery) I could make them at a future date.

Have done a great deal of surfing hotels in the places I propose to visit and have come up with the following:

Full Costs per night inc Taxes etc:

1. 17/18 May New York: Herald Square Hotel:$209
2. 20/21 May Chicago: Best Western Hawthorne Terrace :$162.00
3. 24 May Emeryville: Woodfin Suites:$141.00
4. 25/26 May Monterey: Cannery Row Inn:$120.00
5. 27/28/29 May Los Angeles: Metro Plaza Hotel:$100.00
6. 30/31 May + 1 Jun San Diego: Hampton Inn Downtown:$201.00
7. 4 Jun Chicago: Best Western Hawthorne Terrace:$162.00
8. 6/7/8 Jun Washington: Harrington Hotel:$140.00
9. 9 Jun New York: Herald Square Hotel:$209.00

I would be very grateful for any comments before I press the "Book It" buttons please. Wherever possible I went for the Senior Rate. Do the hotels and prices seem about right? I tried the Club Quarters but their calendar does not yet allow bookings for May/June 2011. The La Quinta and Holiday Inn prices were above my budget but thanks anyway Andy.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
For Andy: Can one buy a ticket on the day/night of a baseball game or will I have to order in advance please? As a great fan of the MLB I really do want to go to a game or two if I can.
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen,
I usually purchase them in advance and pick them up at the stadium's Will Call window.
Some games do sell-out in advance depending on what teams are playing, day of the week, etc...

If I can't purchase tickets directly from the team/stadium, then Stubhub.com is an option, however, there could be a mark-up on the ticket price.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen:

I hope you have a great trip! I was going to STRONGLY suggest the California Zephyr for your trip, since the scenery is MUCH better than the EB, but I see others have come before me. Glad you're doing it. It is one of the most scenic train rides in the world.

You've been deluged with hotel suggestions, so I'm sorry to add one more -- price the Marriott Couryard US Capitol (I think that's what it's called). It's directly north of Union Station, adjacent to the Metro New York Avenue subway station. Ask for a room with a view of the tracks, and you'll get a panoramic view of the throat of Union Station. On weekends, should be able to get a $99 price (less if AAA or senior discount). There are restaurants nearby, and of course on Metro you can easily travel elsewhere in the city. But it's the ideal hotel for a railroad buff...if you're not tired of trains by that time.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as your in Chicago you might want to catch a Cubs game. Wrigley Field is the second oldest ball park in the U.S and the second ball park to have the name of Wrigley.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page