RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » train to/hotels in South Beach/Miami?

Author Topic: train to/hotels in South Beach/Miami?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, everyone, I was just watching Burn Notice on DVD and Miami looks pretty nice in it. I really don't know the city; I was at Miami Beach (not South Beach, I don't think; closer to Hollywood) back in the 1970s and otherwise have only been at the airport when I caught the shuttle to Key West. (I did arrive by train but it was at night; didn't see the station. LEaving I got a lift up to West Palm and left from there.)

So I was thinking maybe when I make my usual train trip to W Palm Beach area I ought to consider Trirailing down to South Beach for a night or two if I can afford it before heading back north on Amtrak. Does anyone have any suggestions re hotels that are nice, safe, and affordable? I think I'd like to stay in the South Beach area as that is what I'd like to explore, but I'm willing to take advice since I don't know Miami at all. In addition to the beach I'd be interested in seeing all the old architecture down there. . . eating on the water . . . inland waterway fine too . . . whatever you recommend.

Also, I could use Trirail to get down in the middle of the day, is there a way to get to South Beach from there without a taxi? Or do I have to take one?

And from South Beach to Amtrak station is a taxi, yes? Does anyone have any ideas on cost?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, I'll defer to others on your "nice, safe, affordable" hotel in the South Beach area of Miami Beach, as somehow I think your definition and mine of such are at variance with one another.

Now regarding getting to South Beach by commercial transportation from Tri-Rail, simply "make like Judy Garland" and "ride to the end of the line" or otherwise the Airport station. From there, you can ride the free shuttle van to the Airport and then use any of the ground transportation options available there.

Now returning to Amtrak in Hileah, there is only ONE way to even THINK of getting there - and that is in a properly licensed taxicab. From this site, it appears taxicabs are $2.40/mi plus $2.10 for the "flag drop". My guess would be $50 including tip. I would not expect any hotel courtesy van to be available.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the Metrorail line two blocks south of Amtrak station and that would get you closer to the beach then taxi from the station to the beach from there. That will save you plenty of money.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm advising against that Mr Guenzler; the thought of anyone not familiar with the area being outside the Amtrak MIA station premises is simply unthinkable in view of the serious personal safety issues that would be raised.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did it in Daylight and had no problem. I would never do it after dark.

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner-can't help with the name of the hotel, but we stayed at one maybe a block from the ocean some time ago. While it's not cheap, it's fun to stay at one of the Art Deco classics that line the streets. Then, have a gin and tonic and hop the Orange Blossom Special back to NY.

South Beach has to be one of the country's best people watching spots. So it's worth checking it out so you can put it in the 'been there done that category'.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having lived and worked on Miami Beach for many years, I would make the following observations:

While some SoBe hotels are less expensive than others, none are really geared for economy. This is, after all, South Beach and the trendy jet set is not known for skimping.

As one other member pointed out, I would not recommend the two-block walk from the Amtrak station in Hialeah to the Metrorail station. For a young, healthy person with no luggage this might be all right during the day. But in any other situation, it might be difficult. The area is a warehouse district, and all MetroRail will do is get you to downtown Miami, where you would still need to catch a bus or a cab to the beach. Fortunately, when the Miami InterModal Center is completed, that will eliminate this situation.

The L bus goes directly into the Amtrak station parking lot and goes to South Beach, though it would take you to Lincoln Road Mall, which is not where the hotels are, to say nothing of its traverse through some of Miami's worst neighborhoods before it reaches Miami Beach. So I would resist any advice to take the L bus.

The TriRail airport station is actually just outside of the airport and shuttle vans would therefore not be accessible, though taxis would be.

Honestly, the safest, quickest and easiest thing to do would simply be to take a cab from the Amtrak station to your hotel. There are always cabs there when trains arrive, regardless of the hour. If you are arriving from West Palm on TriRail, your only real option is to take a cab from TriRail airport (last stop) to South Beach.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by CHATTER:
The TriRail airport station is actually just outside of the airport and shuttle vans would therefore not be accessible, though taxis would be.

Mr. Chatter, has Tri-Rail discontinued their free airport transfers - type of vehicle used notwithstanding?

http://www.tri-rail.com/rider_info/bus_shuttle/schedules_pdf/MIAMI_AIRPORT.pdf

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Sooner or later, someone will suggest to Ms. Sojourner she consider the use of a hotel auction site. While I never have used such, nor have any intention of doing so, there is an informative article appearing in the Travel section of Today's Times regarding these services:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/travel/26prac.html

As for myself, "the best surprise is no surprise" is my travel motto.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a $50, or even $40, cab ride each way is far more than I would spend for a taxi ride within a city, and the hotels are probably prohibitive anyway, so unless I can find a friend to share hotel costs with me, I probably won't be going to South Beach for a while! But I have checked about logistics on my own and figured out this tentative route, avoiding $50 cab rides; what do you think?

(1) Take Tri-Rail from West Palm Beach to the Trirail/Metrorail Transfer Station, then transfer to Metrorail, take Metrorail to Government Center, and take the C or K bus to South Beach (5th & Washington).

(2) Return with the same bus and Metrorail, switch to Tri-Rail again at the Transfer Station, only this time take Tri-Rail to Hollywood. Board Amtrak at Hollywood station instead of Miami. (This may mean I can take only the Silver Star, which I hate taking because it gets into NYC so late . . . but we'll see.)

Hollywood Tri-Rail and Amtrak stations have the same address. Hopefully, this station is OK, not too seedy; I recall it looking pleasant when I passed it, but any input on the staton would be appreciated.

If I don't do this until after the Amtrak station at the airport is operating, I would of course take Tri-Rail there & board Amtrak there.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:

Hollywood Tri-Rail and Amtrak stations have the same address. Hopefully, this station is OK, not too seedy; I recall it looking pleasant when I passed it, but any input on the staton would be appreciated.

If I don't do this until after the Amtrak station at the airport is operating, I would of course take Tri-Rail there & board Amtrak there.

Hollywood is fine, Ms. Sojourner.

It is an open question whether Amtrak is going to move to the Airport Intermodal Center as it will add to their costs, reduce operational efficiency (trains will have to be handled new station to Maintenance facility), and will provide benefit only to passengers making commercial transfers (Limos, Auto Rentals). I think most Amtrak passengers are met or take taxicabs to destination.

rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miami and Miami Beach are places I know fairly well (although probably not as well as Mr. Chatter). One thing no one has mentioned so far is MetroMover, which connects to Metrorail at the Government Center station and can take you to Coconut Grove (worth the trip) or Vizcaya (also worth the trip). You could then stay in downtown Miami (there's a Courtyard right off the MetroMover.

If you do get to Miami Beach, do this:

http://www.smartdestinations.com/miami-attractions-and-tours/art-deco-walking-tour/_attr_Mia_Att_Art_Deco_Walking_Tour.html

The Miami Design Preservation League's Web site is under construction, but their tour is excellent (I've done it).

A number of the Art Deco hotels have been renovated into (expensive) lodgings for jet setters and supermodels. Ocean Drive must be seen to be understood. It's worth the trip. I first stayed there in 1989, when the renovation was just getting started, and after a bit of "shopping around", I and my friend got a very good rate for a room with a beach view. Unfortunately, you're not likely to be able to duplicate that experience.

There is, however, much to see and do in Miami even if you don't get to SoBe. I recommend Bayside (an interesting shopping mall), I've already mentioned Vizcaya and Coconut Grove, and there's also Coral Gables. Some knowledge of Spanish will also be helpful. The last time I was in Miami, I stopped for lunch at a Columbian place north of the airport (I was headed for a client's offices), and I had to order in Spanish!

Have fun.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mr. Chatter, has Tri-Rail discontinued their free aprport transfers - type of vehicle used notwithstanding?

http://www.tri-rail.com/rider_info/bus_shuttle/schedules_pdf/MIAMI_AIRPORT.pdf

I was talking about catching a super shuttle or something similar from the TriRail station directly to Miami Beach, without

quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Well, a $50, or even $40, cab ride each way is far more than I would spend for a taxi ride within a city, and the hotels are probably prohibitive anyway, so unless I can find a friend to share hotel costs with me, I probably won't be going to South Beach for a while! But I have checked about logistics on my own and figured out this tentative route, avoiding $50 cab rides; what do you think?

(1) Take Tri-Rail from West Palm Beach to the Trirail/Metrorail Transfer Station, then transfer to Metrorail, take Metrorail to Government Center, and take the C or K bus to South Beach (5th & Washington).

(2) Return with the same bus and Metrorail, switch to Tri-Rail again at the Transfer Station, only this time take Tri-Rail to Hollywood. Board Amtrak at Hollywood station instead of Miami. (This may mean I can take only the Silver Star, which I hate taking because it gets into NYC so late . . . but we'll see.)

Yes, Hollywood has the same station for both Amtrak and TriRail. It is fine.

As for the above choices, they are a hodgepodge of connections. You refer to having a $40 cab fare "in the city." Please understand that Miami, Miami Beach and Hialeah are all separate cities, each with its own characteristics. Miami is obviously the main city, and across Biscayne Bay is Miami Beach, an island city connected to the mainland by a series of causeways.

Both cities, as well as Hialeah, location of the Amtrak station, are part of Miami-Dade County, but it is not a matter of remaining within a single city. The $40 cab fare is not unreasonable for the distance from the southern tip of Miami Beach (a.k.a. South Beach) to the Amtrak station in Hialeah. (The station itself is not technically in Hialeah, as the Hialeah city limit line runs right through the Amtrak rail yard. The street numbering for the station is part of unincorporated Miami-Dade County, as Hialeah has own numbering system.) Hialeah is an industrial city with a large ring of working class residences surrounding the commercial zones.

Having said that, the transfers that you propose are workable, but they are very time-consuming, inconvenient, and I would not attempt any of them after dark. Put in the most respectful way possible, if the purpose of making such transfers is simply to save a $40 (or even $50) cab fare, then South Beach is probably not the best destination, as the cab fare will be the least of one's budgetary concerns.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
Miami and Miami Beach are places I know fairly well (although probably not as well as Mr. Chatter). One thing no one has mentioned so far is MetroMover, which connects to Metrorail at the Government Center station and can take you to Coconut Grove (worth the trip) or Vizcaya (also worth the trip). You could then stay in downtown Miami (there's a Courtyard right off the MetroMover.

I believe that you are confusing the Metromover with MetroRail. Metromover is a peoplemover system, similar to what is found at airports. It connects a good number of locations around downtown Miami and the Brickell Avenue financial district. It does connect to MetroRail at Government Center and Brickell stations, but it does not connect to Coconut Grove or Vizcaya. One would need to take MetroRail for that.
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, I grew up in Miami and still get there a few times a year to visit family. I agree with others in urging you to forget the South Beach idea unless you are willing to take a taxi. The bus from the Amtrak station DOES pass through some very bd neighborhoods and a person with luggage could be a target. Takeing MetroRail downtown is not so great as you still have some issues there and there's not a dedicated cab stand beside MetroRail. To clarify others' posts, MetroRail does not directly go into Coconut Grove...it is at least 3 miles from the nearest stop. I do think you'd like Vizcaya and it's an okay walk assuming no luggage...ride TriRail from WPB to MetroRail Transfer then ride it to the Vizcaya stop. A lovely area to visit is Coral Gables which can best be accessed via the University station then a local bus. If you want to stay in Miami, ride to end of MetroRail at Dadeland South as the Dadeland Marriott is right there.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page