RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Questions from a rookie (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Questions from a rookie
buckeye59
Member # 15995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye59     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More excellent advice everyone. I once again say thank you.
After digesting all of your tips and a disscusion with the missus here's the new plan.
We will take the Empire Builder west and get off at West Glacier. (This will break up the trip enough so we feel we can handle a seat in coach instead of a roomette.) My wife really wants to spend a couple of days there. Then proceed to Portland and after a week of exploring we will fly back to cincy. Has anyone here taken the red car bus tour on the going to the sun highway? Does it only pick up at the lodges in the park?
Let me add that this is a very frendly and helpful forum. Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plan "B".
After you are on the train, ask the conductor if there are any rooms/roomettes available. You can get one for a nice discount if there are any available on your train.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
West Glacier does not have checked baggage. If this is a concern, Whitefish is only about 25 miles further with car rentals right in the beautiful station. It is also a delightful town.

West Glacier is perfect for being closest to the parks major attractions. There is a shuttle from Amtrak to the Lodges in the park. If you are not renting a car, there are walking and bike paths into the park.

Re the Jammer (red) buses:
http://glacierparkinc.com/tour_detail.php?id=1

If your trip is in fall, keep in mind the buses quit running about mid-Sept. (snow). The Going-to-the Sun Highway should not be missed.
I think your plan is a good one. If there is one place in the west to spend 2 days off the train, Glacier is arguably the best. As Mr. Kisor once said on this forum, "There is nothing like Glacier. Nothing."

In my younger days I found nothing wrong with long distance in coach, even preferred it sometimes. It made me feel more like part of a group adventure. My kids liked it more than bedrooms. Some folks even crash overnight on the Sightseer Lounge floor to stretch out.

Coming from the east, dawn on the vast Dakota plains is a unique experience. Some love it. There is just not much dramatic change for the whole day until Cut Bank. Plenty of time to explore the train.

Oh, and when you leave the St. Paul depot, wave to the south about a mile out. I'm just 2 blocks away.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're planning to ride the red "jammer" buses, better get your reservations in NOW. They sell out fast, early in the year.

The web site will give you a list of all the stops. They do stop at all the lodges.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When are you planning to go in autumn? I have never been to Glacier Park but I gather it has a very short season for weather reasons. Check with the red jammer folks about when to come.

Note too that if you go in summer, you will see more of the train route.

Have you given up on the Zephyr? that is too bad; the train ride is quite gorgeous, though as noted here, westbound is best for that.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye59
Member # 15995

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckeye59     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to admit it but I have no idea what you mean by "the station does not have checked baggage"
Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buckeye: You asked if the red jammer bus only picks up at lodges. If will pick you up, on the west side of the park, at the Apgar Tourist Center. On the east side, it will pick up at the St. Mary KOA. Beyond that, yes, you can get a red bus at most of the major lodges. We did it last summer (leaving Apgar). Be sure and take along a jacket as it can be cold, on the bus, even in the midst of summer.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buckeye59 -

A station with no Checked Baggage is a station where there is only a caretaker/custodian to open the station up at train time. At these stations there are no tickets sold and you cannot check any luggage to that station and will have to carry everything you're taking onboard with you.

TwinStar's suggestion is that if you will have so much luggage that you wish to check it in the baggage car, you may want to stay on the train for another 25 miles beyond West Glacier to the station in Whitefish.

If you are looking at detraining in West Glacier, you may want to look into lodging at the Belton Chalet Inn which is just across US Highway 2 from the train station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checked baggage is like the airlines but free. You check it in at the baggage counter in the station and they give you claim slips. That means you don't have to carry it on and off the train with you. It is transported in the baggage car. You don't have to deal with it until you get off, and Amtrak will check it through to your eventual destination even if you change trains.

There is plenty of room in the Superliner lower level baggage area for large bags, but it is not secure and you have to lug it on and off. Checked baggage is mostly a convenience and it is free. You are allowed 3 large checked bags per person.

But only major stations actually have staff to load and unload the baggage car. So you can check bags through from Cincinnati to Whitefish and not even have to deal with it in Chicago. But checked bags are not handled at West Glacier so you are responsible for getting all your luggage on and off the train. If you don't have a lot of luggage all this is irrelevant.

Stations with checked baggage are shown on the timetable with a tiny suitcase symbol.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you travel coach, there is a considerable amount of space above your seats for luggage.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Buckeye, I am disappointed to learn that you have now chosen to travel Coach rather than even a double occupancy Roomette. While it is noted that I had suggested a Bedroom for two passengers (and respect that others did not wholly concur with such), I trust that it is also noted that once you stated there were budgetary constraints, I was silent.

From your handle, I would presume you are 52 years of age, which I think is still to the low side of the median age of the regulars here. I would think that Coach travel would result in more discomfort than one would wish for a discretionary trip - especially since a Sleeping accommodation was "on the table'.

On-board Sleeping car sales, as Mr. Smith has suggested, are a 'hit or miss". While at one time, October represented a "shoulder' travel season (kids back in school, time to start thinking about the Holidays - especially now that Halloween has become the "fourth' of such), those shoulders have been leveled out for all transportation and especially Amtrak Sleeping car, which enjoys occupancy rates through the year that any hotelier would be happy to have (a likely reason why 'they cost so darned much').

While nothing sinks to the level of scheduled Greyhound bus service, Amtrak Coach, I'm sorry, is not too many rungs above it. You will meet, and have no escape from, some "colorful characters"; but then if that is part of an adventure, then I guess I should say "go for it'. All I know is I'm not about to join you.

But now that Coach is "on the table', here is a topic that may be of interest;

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/3709.html

Finally, I've heard the "topper" of Greyhound stories (from a Parole Officer who is the daughter of a friend):

This "down and out' guy (he did some time), his "wayward" girlfriend, and their four month old child, as well as a cat, and a.......stand by.........boa constrictor, were traveling from "undisclosed" Upstate NY location to Chicago (who knows whether within or without the terms of the parole). Well the child was "not exactly; seen but not heard' and the cat got loose. The driver warned them and said they could be 'put off' for carrying an animal (Greyhound also has a no animals policy). Fortunately, Mr. Boa stayed put.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki -- my wife and I have traveled in both Superliner and Viewliner bedrooms with 2 fairly good-sized suitcases + a couple smaller bags -- we store them in the upper bunk of both accomodations, and we share the bottom bunk for sleeping. In roomettes, or in bedrooms if we each want our own bunk, we find "creative" ways to stash them on the floor. Of course, in the Superliner sleepers, there ARE the downstairs luggage racks you can use.....
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rich and ladies. This will be a seven week trip but I am working on the idea of one suitcase and two carryon type bags. I am quite used to storing my bag on the lower level of the Superliner and have never had a problem there.
As for the Viewliner,I may check the bag to BOS. I may ask advice in the CUS lounge.I have never seen the Viewliner bedroom. Can I assume it is similar to the ones on the Superliner?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

From your handle, I would presume you are 52 years of age.

You're probably right, Gil. I was thinking, however, that maybe he said "Goodbye, Columbus" in 1959, which would make him a little older than us. Another possibility is that he's related to #59 on one of their athletic teams.

Anyway, I hope he and his wife have a great trip.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Class of 59 perhaps......

But that would put the OP at an age where overnight in coach would be a surprising choice.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckeye59
Member # 15995

Rate Member
Yep I'm 52, at least I will be in 11 days. I tend to agree with this last batch of advice and my thinking this weekend was starting to turn back to getting a roomette. Extra $500.00 or not. But we're still going to stop at Whitefish. By the way, does anyone think we're foolish for taking such a long trip for our first train trip?
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki I sent you apost re lugggage but it didn't come through so if you get it two times you will understand. On all of our trips I have used 2 22 inch soft side bags and never had any problem. I also take a small tote bag for a water botle,snacks,book etc. In a bedroom all our luggage fit very nicely on the long sofa at night and on the chair,under the chair or in the floor at night. Never have used the down stair racks. A roomette does take some creativity but it can be done and in the comfortable range. We always divide up the clothing between our bags so if one is lost or delayed we still have what we need. BTW one bag is sent on to our final destiination and the other stays with us so that makes 2 to go and 2 to stay.If you don't already be sure to put a few extra hangers in your bag because there are never enough in the room and if you can hang some clothes up at night it will give you more room.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buckeye, I don't think it is foolish to take a long trip IF you relax and enjoy new things and expect the unexpected. Travel can and shold be interesting, fun and an adventure. Just roll with the punches!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
As a compromise, you do not have to choose between coach and roomette for your entire trip. You could do part in coach and part in roomette, with CHI and Whitefish being obvious switchover points.

Playing with options on the Amtrak website can sometimes reduce your total cost. For instance, on my last 2 trips I changed from roomette to coach at La Junta and Denver, doing nights in roomettes and days in coach in both directions. It saved me about $100 each trip and I only had to pay for one meal.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TwinStar, that's interesting. How were you able to do the ticketing in order to ride part of the way in sleeper and part in coach? Did you have to do separate tickets, or were you able to persuade an Amtrak ticket agent to apply the sleeper charge only to the distance (or time) the sleeper was occupied? I don't quite see how you can do this online, but maybe I'm missing something.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by buckeye59:
By the way, does anyone think we're foolish for taking such a long trip for our first train trip?

My reaction to the first itinerary set forth would have been yes, however, you have greatly reduced the amount of rail travel planned - and I'm pleased you are now back to a Roomette.

If the journey becomes a descent into hades, you could always say "that's all folks" at Whitefish and simply drive the auto you plan to rent onward to Seattle then fly home to KCVG, KCMH, or wherever.

But I would hope that even if The Cardinal, your CIN-CHI train is a disappointment, at least give The Builder CHI-WFH a try. The Builder is often called "America's train" and many who have ridden it (I haven't ridden the Amtrak varietal, but have the railroad) hold it is one of Amtrak's 'best foot forward'. You will find at Whitefish and other stations along the route, that train time represents "a community event" of sorts.

Finally regarding gratuities, we have had much material posted here in the past regarding nature and scope of such. The Search feature will lead you to the material.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

I have met the real-life "E.M. Frimbo" aka Rogers E.M. Whittaker first in the Obs-Lounge of the PRR Broadway Limited, then later aboard the Amtrak varietal of such. In fact he was in my home where the host of a railfan radio show (a forerunner to Let's Talk Trains) that aired on a low-power FM station (X-mtr 25 miles away in Northbrook; "touch and go if I could receive it) interviewed him. I even got on-air credit for providing the 'studio".

Thank you GBN for telling us this interesting story- in the "railfan universe" EM Frimbo is one of the brightest stars; I'd put him up there with David Morgan of Trains magazine, etc. A consummate gentleman who really "got" what passenger train travel was/is all about...plus those guys could WRITE!

But back to the original post and Mr. Buckeye's "first" train trip-- hope it goes well. I don't remember my first trip, but my mother told me about it-- I was six (months) old. In my Mom's arms aboard the ATSF's El Capitan from LAX-CHI. The "courier nurse" said I was a good baby and never cried a bit all the way. Like that line in the famous song CONO:

"Mothers with their babes asleep, rockin' to the gentle beat- and the rhythm of the rails is all they hear."

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Henry, it was separate tickets. Last winter La Plata to La Junta in roomette followed by coach to Flagstaff ($399) was cheaper than roomette the whole way ($466). But if I switched in ABQ it would have cost more than all roomette ($496). Where you choose to change makes a big difference. I always choose stations with time enough to move my stuff outside the train and there is often a wait to board. I bought lunch and skipped dinner.

Last summer roomette from Osceola to Denver followed by coach to Glenwood Springs was considerably cheaper than roomette all the way (which was sold out west of DEN anyway). The reverse was also true. CHI-DEN has an extra sleeper which might explain the lower price.

All you need is a lot of patience researching the Amtrak res page and a little spreadsheet. I also love doing it. Don't tell Amtrak.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSR - saw this on another site and seems to be pretty useful for finding the lowest price of a room within a 30 day range. Of course only good if your dates are flexible. Appears to save a bunch of separate inquiries into Amtrak.com:
Amsnag

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Palmland, the Amsnag link seems broken.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, Henry - fixed it
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I came across this "favorable' video tour of the Coast Starlight, in which the 'Guide" notes that a Roomette is fine for two persons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kYncfBywPw&feature=related

However, be it noted this young woman is "in shape' and so would I presume is her referenced companion.

I still hold that Amtrak should issue a "caveat" whenever a Roomette is sold for two persons. I'll accept that two young people of normal size and who want to save a $$$ will "do OK", but how about someone "seventysomething'- especially a "seventysomething' with any kind of disability starting with excessive "girth'?

The bad thing I can recall from an Auto Train trip in the past was meeting a Physician and his Nurse wife; they were sold a Roomette and were not even made aware that there were Bedrooms available (there weren't on-board when they tried to upgrade).

Somehow, I think their Bennie had the better night of it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page