RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Viewliner Order (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Viewliner Order
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had heard that the first cars out would be baggage. If so, they certainly ought to be able to master the construction of those boxes on wheels. Regardless, I will be glad to finally see progress on this. Perhaps one or two might show up at the Streamliners at Spencer event late this month as Amtrak is supposed to have some sort of exhibit.

On your Madison adventure, GBN, I'm surprised you weren't tempted to avoid the traffic and take a joy ride to Milwaukee with rental car beyond.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those same reports noted that a 'Viewchow' and a 'Viewsnooze' will be amongst the cars first released. However, it would certainly appear that 'Viewbags' will be first to see revenue service.

Oh and regarding Madison, Mr. Palmland's suggestion didn't even X my mind; even though the direct cost (forget about fully allocated) to run Red Lex up there and back was $172.21. Amtrak-MKE-Badger Bus? Hey, I'm from Chicago area; not 'Upstate NY'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know it cost $172.21 to get your car up there? Does a trip computer built into the car tell you that, or do you routinely document these things?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latter; Smitty - and have been doing so long before there were any kind of on-board computers.

I have records for a 1971 AMC Hornet, as well as the thirteen vehicles that have followed, I once had while at the MILW (can't do anything that could be construed as 'showing off' when you work for a railroad).

Oh and finally, the girl I noted over at the 'Illinois' topic; her usual route except for school year start and end, is Mom's Acura SUV to O'Hare, then Van Galder bus (they also hold Thruway contracts with Amtrak) to Madison.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There is quite a video now posted at YouTube showing three Viewliners being delivered to Amtrak from the CAF plant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1GRXvpwRU

I trust it is noted that one of each "personnel" cars are included. Added to the previously delivered Baggage car, there is now "one of each" on Amtrak property.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to see all 4 car types are actually in production. You never know with Amtrak. I wonder if they will sell revenue space in the bag dorm. Thinking of the Cardinal with very OBS staff.

Saw the Crescent in Lynchburg the other nite. Right on time and appeared to be full. The Lynchburg trai was on its siding at the station with 9 cars. The city has built a very nice local transit facility across from the station, although Greyhound still uses it. Major road improvements there too

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently watched the National Geographic Channel's episode on the building of NYC subway cars. There are some differences between Amtrak's Viewliners and subway cars, but I'm sure that many of the manufacturing processes are similar. The building of the traction motors was particularly fascinating for me.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincent, I don't know how one procures a visit to Beech Grove (I was on an organized tour by the Institute of Railway Signal Engineers) but if you can, go for it. We saw traction motors in various stages of reconstruction there which was quite interesting.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There are reports from reliable sources elsewhere that Viewbags entered revenue service today. Reportedly, they will be "fed" into the consists of 20, Crescent, 79, Carolinian, 92, Star, and 98, Meteor. That would be 14 cars of the 30 reported to be on the property.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
FINALLY---

Today I observed #5(6), Zephyr, with a V-Bag in consist. Now I've seen one "on the road".

With three PV's on the rear (Burrard, Promontory Point, and unknown) returning from their "pow-wow", Phase III on the head, and eight Supers in Ph IVb, there were definite allusions to the "Circus Trains" from "Pioneer Days".

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Two of 'em, 61038 and 61053, are in consist of #5(8).

No sign of any in a #3 consist, nor of any heading Eastward.

Pretty soon the sighting of an H-Bag will become "unique".

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of ooooohs and ahhhhs for a stainless steel LCL car....

;-)

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Let Etta perform today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cbOl96RFM

#61060 was in consist of #3(15).

I wonder if #4(16) will be a "railfan event"; it should be the last train with an H-Bag in revenue service.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This could be "over the top" and I will fully understand if Moderator Lori chooses to kill it, but there is a report at another site and attributed to an advocacy group that CAF has paid late delivery penalties to Amtrak in sufficient amounts so that they have no obligation to complete the V-II order,

If there is any foundation to this report, could this mean that the presently forty one undelivered cars (6 D,25 S,10 B) will remain just that? If CAF chooses to further deliver workmanlike cars, is Amtrak obligated to accept them?

Please note I have searched for an outside confirmation of the report, but unable to find such.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Are there any rumors regarding the "next Diner drop"?

Again, "six to go"

00 Albany
09 Concord
10 Dover
11 Frankfort
23 Springfield
24 Tallahassee

Questions:

Will 23 & 24 have a "normal delivery" by end of month?

09, 10, 11; any "leaks" regarding WHY these cars were "runaround"? Minor stuff or "big time", such as defective carbody fabrication?

Of interest, what will 00 look like when delivered. Will it be configured for full service Dining or will the food preparation area be modified for "Fresh and Contemporary" as well as some "Lounge Banquettes" replacing straight tables? Will a Conductor's office be carved out of the existing Kitchen area?

Finally gottawunder if Amtrak even cares if they get the final six. The nineteen of such on the property are sufficient to cover assignments to 19-20, Crescent, 48-49, Lake Shore, 97-98, Meteor, as well as provide for spares.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There are reports at several other sites that VII-D's are now in all consists of 448-449, Lake Shore, and that there are protect cars at each endpoint.

If such be the case, then the nineteen on the property are out there "earning their keep".

....Uh, well, if one considers using a car built as a full service Diner as a Table Car.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Reliable source reports at other sites that a pickup train is about to be on its way from Albany to Elmira and will return with 09,23,24 and one Bag-Dorm.

Down to the "final thirty seven" (9BD, 3D, 25S).

I would think there will then be enough Diners to assign them to 50-51, Cardinal. That would be two in sets and a protect at Wash. This would be a good "proving ground" to see if one Attendant can serve, Bar, Snacks, and Sleeper meals efficiently.

Oh, and how about giving cash free a real tryout.

Now when they get the last three and with 48-51 returning to Penn enabling release of the BOS and Wash protects, they would have sufficient cars to assign them to 91-92, Silver Star used in the same manner at outlined for 50-51. But again, if they plan to do one thing at One Mass today, somebody will have better meeting skills tomorrow and they end up doing something else.

Finally, I wouldn't expect that single Bag-Dorm to see much in the way of service "for a while".

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
It will be interesting to see how Anderson deploys the bag-dorms, GBN. I am still of the opinion that Amtrak should have stayed with the original order of 25 B-D simply because they generate more revenue (either directly or indirectly by freeing up sleeper space) than a full baggage car.

Supposedly one of the reasons for the change was to insure enough space to allow bikes on the train. I can see the need for bike space on corridor trains, but question the need on LD service requiring a full baggage car. This is especially so with the current elimination of baggage service at many of the stations that are losing their agent.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
It will be interesting to see how Anderson deploys the bag-dorms, GBN.

At this time, my guess is 19-20, Crescent, and 91-92, Silver Star.

Crescent will be five cars; four in consists, one protect at NOL. Star will also be five cars; one protect SSY, four in consists. With these assignments, all cars will make it in revenue service to HIA for periodics.

Assignment to 50-51, Cardinal, would give more "breathing room", as such would be only four cars. However, the "flip side" would be how to get the cars in revenue service, as distinct from deadhead, down to HIA?

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I agree, GBN, that the Crescent is a prime candidate with a full service diner, two sleepers and the cafe lounge. I’m not sure about the Star as it has a much reduced crew with no diner so, assuming the SCA uses the bag-dorm, only 4 of the 8 dorm rooms would be used.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
The first bag-dorm, and 3 diners, were on the Meteor last night headed for Hialeah. 97 was about on time as it came through Ashland as viewed on the Ashland cam. How many years has this taken?

Presumable the roll out should be faster than the diners as it is arguably less complicated than the diner. CAF has had plenty of baggage car experience. And supposedly the roomettes/dorm rooms are on site ready to be inserted into the cars. No doubt CAF will make it easier said than done.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
I’m not sure about the Star...only 4 of the 8 dorm rooms would be used.

Mr. Palmland, this would mean four available for revenue sale. Any one-time fables of "this is OUR car" are gone. The appointments will be equal to those in the revenue Sleeper. In slack periods, one full Sleeper could be cut, which is probably just as well as the two involved at Cayce have been assigned to the Legal Department - and who knows for how long before repairs can even begin. By then, there might even be some V-II-S on the property, and those V-I's will be the first to be rebuilt with the V-II configuration.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Thete are photos of two V-Diners, 10-Dover and 11-Frankfort en route from CAF to Amtrak. Only 00-Albany remains undelivered.

With the additional cars, maybe there can be assignments to 50-51, Cardinal, and 91-92, Star. However I'm not about to place my chips on the table over that occurring.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There are reports at other sites (reliable posters) that one Sleeper (and maybe the last Diner, 00-Albany) will be delivered "quite soon".

Obviously, one Sleeper represents nothing more than a "Tinker Toy" for the Mechanical folk.

Someday, this whole debacle, however it ends, will make for a most interesting B-School case study.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
There are photos posted "elsewhere" showing 62502 - Rapidan River and 68000 - Albany, enroute from CAF to Albany.

Thirty three to go.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
It appears then that Amtrak is running around the bag-dorms that were supposed to come next. I guess that makes sense since the existing baggage cars seems to take care of that need and a new sleeper is added revenue -less the 4 or 5 roomettes used for the crew (although I suspect they will bumped to a Viewliner I sleeper).

Interesting that Rapidan River is the first one. I saw the Southern's original Rapidan River many times, usually in Washington on the Southerner or Peach Queen. Since the Rapidan River crosses the NS north of Charlottesville,where I believe Wick Moorman now lives, I wonder if the naming of the first car was in his honor. But then, that would be out of character for Amtrak.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page