RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pullman Rail Journeys (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Pullman Rail Journeys
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They must have some well-placed connections to warrant feature articles in Trains and Passenger Train Journal at the same time.

I've read the Trains article (and marveled at the roster palmland mentions) and hope to get to the Passenger Train Journal Article this evening. Haven't had time yet to get that deep into the issue.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the start of PRJ's season and right now they are the only ones doing this type of unique operation so why not run such an article in said railfan magazines!

As things progress - or not - I am sure there will be articles of the same sort!

I will also say that I was impressive with their roster! Amtrak has a lot of trains that get pressed for sleeper service in peak summer season. This could be an interesting opportunity for PRJ to explore.....or they can join the likes of GrandLuxe.

Unlike GrandLuxe and some others, it appears that just maybe PRJ has the proper knowledge to make this a "go." Time will tell.

I wish them the best!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=196691615&m=196691596

The linked segment above recently aired on NPR, and would suggest that all Food & Beverage service is provided in the Obs-Lounge Ponchartrain Club. It would appear that the PRJ consist is at best two cars, for if it were longer, a review of the "--Club" floor plan shows too little Dining space.

Of further interest, the PRJ website presently shows only two Tue CHI departure and same NO Thu during July. Possibly the other two are sold, but then......

But sorry volks, a trek down to Roosevelt Road to observe #59's departure is "above and beyond the call of duty".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better take Mr. Frailey's advice, GBN. Ride it while you can.

The two car PRJ operation with the use of the observation as a lounge, sleeper, and diner reminds me of the last days of B&O's National Limited. In the late 60's, the railroad wanted to have good trains until the end, but also needed to cut costs. C&O/B&O management essentially took off B&O's flagship National Limited and merged it into C&O's George Washington. But with regulatory requirements, they still had to retain a train on the B&O. It had a baggage car or two, a coach, and on the rear the very nice Sleeper-lounge-diner-observation car.

The cars had started life on NYC's premier trains and the B&O bought them in 1956. Apparently they weren't reading the handwriting on the wall!

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, according to Wayner, the NYC to B&O cars you note, Genesee, Maumee, and Wabash River were of 1939 vintage and configured 2BR, 1DR, Buffet, Obs and were first assigned to the National Limited after they were acquired by B&O during 1956. No need for a name change as both the Central and the B&O X'd those rivers somewhere on their respective systems.

Now regarding a PRJ joyride, New Orleans is simply a non-attraction to me. Therefore I'd fly down the morning of departure. Even if I'm not all that much of a Southwest airfan, they at least offer no-fee exchangeable tickets that I guess I could put to use somewhere during the year following. They do have KMDW-KMSY non-stops (now what an airfan would do would be to take a United KORD-KIAH-KMSY where there is an itinerary that would work out AND would offer KORD-KIAH aboard a B-787 Dreamliner). Now if Mr. Ellis was to crap with my $900 for a Roomette on the table, I somehow doubt if he were to offer refunds, but likely would offer a future trip - if such were to be. Using a credit, not a debit, card to pay up offers some chance of relief, for if he scrubbed, one could place the charge in dispute. While some out there thrive on disputes (hey if your'e not fighting, you're getting hosed), I'm too old for that stuff nowadays.

All told, to have the travel experience unfold as planned would be a $ 1200 crapshoot.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Several developments have occurred with regards to PRJ since my immediate posting.

First, for the remainder of July, there will be only one round trip per week, namely SB Fri NB Sun. I could live with that, but I sure have to start questioning to what extent I'd be dealing with a going concern.

Now the second one takes the "bloom off the rose" to me. No longer does it appear PRJ is prepared to offer Roomettes. Their 10-6, "Chebanse", does not appear to be operating. While the 6-4-6, "Colorado Pine", has Roomettes, they apparently are reserved for crew. Therefore no Roomettes available or at least for a while (as an aside, I'm surprised that 6-4-6 remains named "Colorado Pine" - an ex-L&N "--Pine" - which was a made up name. IC 4-6-6's had intriguing names like "King Cotton" and "King Coal" as well as "Magnolia State"). While I realize that many here "give eye teeth" to get to ride in a Section, count me out. All too much of the trip is daylight and I'd probably end up staring at someone who would just as soon not have to stare at me.

There is just too great the chance this will become a $1200 crapshoot; I'm really cooling off to the idea.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
You won't believe this.

Yes, I said I wasn't going to do it at the Forum, BUT put two wines ($6.99 bot Meridian Chardonnay) in me with Lunch and I start to "let's give it a try".

I first identified a United flight (puddle jumper) to get down to MSY lv 930A this Thursday Jul 11 ar 1135A; I figure that is "safe" as Moissant (whoops; Satchmo) is not all that far away from NOUPT.

Then, with the flight one click away from being booked - and no backsies on the $401 fare, I then went to PRJ. I started to book the July 11 Northbound which showed a Roomette open. I was typing in all the info went to confirm and it was "Sorry the service requested is not available". Still holding United one click away, I went to PRJ's Book page would you believe it? THEY ARE NOW NOT OFFERING ANY SERVICES NB ON JULY 11. In other words, right while I was booking, they yanked the trip.

I guess Ellis decided it was time to scrub. What United doesn't know doesn't hurt, or otherwise what does an outfit doing $35B even care?.

All told BEWARE

I shared this with Mr. Kisor; here is his reply:.

GBN:

Holy cow. If this were in a novel I would not believe it. Yes, I think you should talk about it on the Forum. Meanwhile it would be interesting to know if that particular departure only was scrubbed or if it is symptomatic of going belly-up.

HK

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN: I'm having a hard time deciphering what your wrote. I think you are saying that Pullman Rail Journeys is no longer offering trips? If so, I am not finding this at all.

I just tried an example trip to see what would happen, and specifically, I just booked a trip from Chicago to New Orleans on August 13th. I was able to book one master bedroom for $2,850. I did NOT go as far as paying for it---I went just PRIOR to that point to see how far it would let me go. So unless the cancellation happens when you try to pay, I'm not seeing anything wrong with the service.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
THEY ARE NOW NOT OFFERING ANY SERVICES NB ON JULY 11.

Andy Smith; here is what I said.

What if I had booked yesterday and got a confirmation? That would have been "sport" as United would have had three words for me: "sorry 'bout that".

Much as I would prefer not to fly them; best think Southwest - at least they offer refundable fares.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked the July 11 NOL-CHI departure and it has been crossed off the booking list, just as GBN said.

Out of curiosity I went to pre-booking a NOL-CHI trip July 18 and that seems to be still open. Maybe the NOL-CHI trip that got yanked out from under you, GBN, was canceled owing to too few passengers. If tonight's trip CHI-NOL is still on, that would suggest there is no mechanical problem, I would think.

In any case this does not bode well for PRJ.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN - A couple thoughts: How about picking a date in August when PRJ website says they will operate, then call them. Talking to a real person usually is better with an outfit like them. Tell them your story and ask them to confirm the August trip will run and that you'd like a roomette but if none available you'd like a single bedroom for the same price. If you like their answers then book the rest of the trip.

Given the uncertainty of their operations I'd certainly consider Southwest. Fares seem to be in the low $200's. You might also think about going down the evening before. I know you don't care for the tourist scene in New Orleans, so how about the venerable Hotel Roosevelt (now part of Hilton's Waldorf Astoria collection). I think PRJ might even have a special rate there. I seem to remember as a kid late night AM broadcasts from the hotel on station WWL. A good night's sleep (and no plane trip hassle) always makes the start of a train trip more enjoyable.

Thanks for your email and sorry we missed you this year but our travels seemed to be everywhere west but Chicago.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Some good thoughts here, Mr. Palmland.

Southwest's fare MDW-MSY was same as was United's from ORD ($401). I prefer United simply because I know my way around Terminal 1 at ORD, but that PRJ could well scrub last minute as they did with me today, means I should look for an air carrier who does offer refundable fares.

It also could be a case of good luck getting a refund out of PRJ.

So far as the Roosevelt goes, I have stayed there; it was the HQ for the 1973 NRHS Convention where my face found its way into CLASSIC TRAINS about a year ago. But when the destination city is simply a "zero" for me, the thought of spending more time there than necessary, and for a wholly discretionary trip, it's simply a turn off. I'd likely have a couple at bar, Dinner at the Hotel's restaurant where maybe they have a steak hiding away so I don't have to eat those things with fins and claws, and otherwise go back to the room and turn the flat-screen on.

The call was just too close today; could I part company with $1300 without being on Food Stamps? Of course I could; would I like it, no way as it would just be another chapter in the best seller that started with friends of mine that ponied up for one of his 1978 vintage Golden Arrow steam tours. I think all can surmise how THAT turned out. Wisely I did not sign up for such; so I guess today would have been payback.

With this close shave so narrowly averted today, any guesses what happened to the other half of that bottle of Chard I noted earlier?

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I look at the PRJ website I see northbound NOL departures (at least with roomettes for sale) on July 21 and 28 only now. Did not look at August.

As I noted in an email earlier today, perhaps the PRJ experience will survive only as a once monthly trip marketed to the AAPRCO set....if that.

Regardless though - I'd be hard pressed to buck their roomette when an Amtrak roomette on the City of New Orleans can be found at $130 low bucket.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful with Southwest tickets, the advance purchase "Wanna Get Away" fares are not refundable, but they can be applied to another ticket if you cancel your trip. SWA does have a Senior Fare that is refundable, however.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Before I forget it, allow me to note that on Friday Aug 2, I observed two Pullman Rail cars that I would guess arrived inbound on 58(1) as it appears that the Thursday NB departure has been resumed.

There were two cars; however I was not close enough to observe their names. I think one was 6-4-6 "Colorado Pine" and the other Obs "Ponchartrain Club".

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some credit cards that cover cancellation of a major part of a vacation. Whether that extends to cars tagged on the back of a regular train (or not) is something that somebody with a microscope and a legal brain might fathom.

Trips that are co-dependent on separate parts of that trip coming together are always tricky. Simple dithering before booking cost me 5 free nights in Indianapolis (no availability) but at least my $7.50 flights SNA-ORD-IND, ORD-SNA were safe. No prizes for guessing how I'm going from IND to ORD - my fix for the year I guess.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Mayo, are you riding 51, Cardinal, (or worse 851) for fun?

Masochism, absolute masochism

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, 851, and entirely for fun. But that's only if they don't yank it the day before I ride.

It's a route I've taken twice before, albeit on the Cardinal (Superliner and then Viewliner). Much as I would have liked to take Amtrak LAX<->CHI, I couldn't make it work in terms of cost/time, so this is the best I could do.

As for masochism, to misquote somebody, enjoyment is in the mind of the beholder.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drjuli
Member # 70116

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drjuli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well either PRJ topics have fallen way off or I'm so new to this that I can't find the right section!
Anyway, I read the comments about the Pullman rail and don't ever hear anyone commenting on riding.

It's great- we've ridden it twice-NB both times. First time was in June of this year- there were 4 in our group and a total of 12 on the trip. The double bedrooms were roomier than anything Amtrak and the food,drinks, and overall service was superb. The food was not gourmet but it was cooked to order and fresh and an assortment of meats veggies and desserts.
On time arrival with a good hearty breakfast as we rolled through the last 40-50 miles.

The second trip was in mid August - a guys trip up from New Orleans to see a baseball game. My friends were not seasoned train travelers but they were very impresses with the service. Lunch as we left New Orleans was soups and several different sandwiches; dinner was when we wanted it and our total group of 10 all had drinks and dinner(steak,fish,or chicken) and were finishing up with coffee and dessert about 830pm.

It's a little pricey but it is so civilized and unrushed. Flying Southwest ,United or anyone is anything but civilized or unrushed. There is a trip planned early November w musicians etc on board. Wish I could book- offering a discount of 30% I believe.
Mr GBN on several occasions bashes New Orleans -- I'll bet you haven't given it a try. The food and cuisine and the dining experience is different than anywhere else and in a good way.
The crab, shrimp, fish and oyster dishes are dependably excellent. A recent Sunday lunch at Mandina's was just devine. It is of course smaller than Chicago and cities like that but it has plenty to offer and that's excluding Bourbon street.

Thanks for listening
J.Mullins
Baton Rouge

Forgot to mention but the Adirondack club was our observation car on both trips- no Dome diner. Adirondack is bright and airy car and could double as a mid train club car back in the day.

Posts: 2 | From: Baton rouge | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First Dr. Mullins, welcome to our Forum.

Secondly, and this has got to be a LOOOONG shot, were you perchance a Flight Surgeon at Tan Son Nhut circa 67-68? If so, I've been your patient.

Now regarding New Orleans as a tourist destination, simply because I have no use for the tourist scene (to me 'contrived bacchanale') and I simply don't eat things with fins and claws, does not give me license to deter others from what they find to be pleasurable. A review of my postings at this topic will establish I have been to New Orleans. I have been to the WWII Museum and I find that to be worthwhile, however my most recent visit was Feb 2004 changing from Sunset East to the City on an Orlando to Chicago trip. I never left the train station during the four some hour layover.

Interesting to note, Doctor, that PRJ's Adirondack Club was in your consist. That could well have been the car I observed at CUS this past August. While it appears that IP/PRJ has withdrawn from their website a history of their fleet's heritage, I think that car is ex-C&O. If such be the case, it had kitchen facilities, at least in its latter years, while in C&O service. Accordingly, and especially based on your report, my earlier thought that they were serving catered food is unfounded.

Finally, lest we forget, I was ONE CLICK away from booking.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I believe Adirondack Club is ex C&O Blue Ridge Club, one of eight 5DBR-lounge-observation cars built for the stillborn 'Chessie' streamliner. Four were sold upon delivery to the B&O and one was converted to an office car. Of the other three, including Blue Ridge Club, two were used on the C&O/Chessie until Amtrak and one was wrecked in 1976 (from C&O Passenger Cars, Harry Stegmaier).

Having spent the second night of our honeymoon in New Orleans we return frequently, and will do so again in January.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
First Mr. Palmland, please excuse my parsing of your material, but it seemed the most expedient way to address the multitude of points made:

quote:
I believe Adirondack Club is ex C&O Blue Ridge Club, one of eight 5DBR-lounge-observation cars built for the stillborn 'Chessie' streamliner.
The eight '--Club' cars noted were of Pullman Standard design; the Chessie equipment was all Budd built and was not named.

quote:
Four were sold upon delivery to the B&O
C&O Shenandoah Club B&O Dana
C&O Tidewater Club B&O Nappanee
C&O Ohio River Club B&O Metcalf
C&O Wolverine Club B&O Wawasee

quote:
..and one was converted to an office car.
C&O New River Club; Office Car 29

quote:
Of the other three, including Blue Ridge Club, two were used on the C&O/Chessie until Amtrak and one was wrecked in 1976 (from C&O Passenger Cars, Harry Stegmaier).
These remaining cars were converted during 1961 to a Dorm Kitchen Diner configuration, and retained their names of 'Bluegrass, Allegheny', and, as noted by Mr. Palmland, 'Blue Ridge Club'. One of such, 'Allegheny Club', was in the consist of my one and only ride through the New River Gorge during Sep 1962 WW on the FFV. My complaint was that the tables were placed by the window bolster making viewing quite difficult. It appears Mr. Ellis addressed this with his car.

Source for these amplifications: Wayner

quote:
Having spent the second night of our honeymoon in New Orleans we return frequently, and will do so again in January.
'To each his own'
Drjuli
Member # 70116

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drjuli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice history on those cars. The Adirondack club did have a small kitchen and several bedrooms and the large room w a double bed annex and shower. It has 3 or 4 tables seating 4 each and then a observation area with about 8 chairs against
The wall/windows facing the center of the car.

To answer your question about my being a flight surgeon- no I was not-I was still in high school those years. Thank you for your service and your survival.

Thanks for the warm welcome - I still have my day job so sometimes it may take a few to respond or banter

See ya later
J Mullins

Posts: 2 | From: Baton rouge | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I do wonder what happened to Pontchartrain Club, the observation that had been used. Looks like Mr. Ellis is living up to his word to keep it going for a full year. I wonder what will happen next year.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Anyone; wanna bet?

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/re-creating-the-golden-age-of-rail-travel/

Brief passage:

• Pullman Rail Journeys, a Chicago-based independent operator of first-class passenger service on Amtrak and private trains and charters, plans to introduce overnight train service between Chicago and New York in mid-2014
After a browse around the PRJ website, a few points of note:

Lower fares: An Upper can presently be had for $390 and proportionate reductions to other accommodations.

On-Board Live Entertainment: Hope you enjoy the 'folk' genre (I know first hand Mr. Ellis does); but is this 'innovation' really necessary? Possibly the strategy here is that since alcohol is open bar, the entertainment will hold down on the amount of booze in circulation benefiting both Mr. Ellis' pocketbook and reducing the likelihood of having a passenger 'get out of line'.

No registration?, no browsing: In order to 'take a peek' to see rates and schedules, you now must register to do so. I got registered last Summer when my 'almost joyride' was about to be booked. Sooner or later, bombardments will begin. Incidentally, no dates presently available for this announced New York service. Chi-NO appears to be 'once a week' with extra trips for the annual 'bombast of bacchanalia' and Easter.

Finally, here are exterior and interior photos of 'Allegheny Club' the on board service car that appears to be in regular service and that Dr. Mullins reported was on his journeys. It appears that the location of the tables with regards to the windows has been addressed since C&O converted the cars from Sleeper Lounges to Dorm Diners during 1961. Regarding Mr. Palmland's immediate comment concerning 'Ponchartrain Club', while this car's round end 'looks pretty', it does not have any food service capacity and as such if it were to operate in PRJ service, there would need to be a separate Diner. Twenty or so passengers can hardly justify such; however, learning that 'Allegheny Club' was assigned laid to rest my earlier concerns that some kind of catered food service was being offered.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Quotations from the 'Great AGR Experience' topic that certainly have relevance to further discussion here:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
. It seems last July when I was about to have my 'almost' PRJ joyride......If I am to think of such this year, somehow I think I'd have to {use].....Southwest KMDW-KMSY,,,,,they offer refundable fares and with Ellis' track record of last minute cancellations, not sure if I want to look at a $200 exchange fee on [another carrier]

quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
As to Pullman Co., our SCA on the CONO worked it regularly and said he hadn't seen their cars since early last fall. It was supposed to have been on our train, but MIA. Perhaps the cold weather?

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I just did a little 'snooping' around the PRJ website; since you have to register with them in order to snoop, and I did have a bona fide reason to do so last year, I figured I'd do a little snooping today.

Presently, here is number of trips the website says they have/have planned to run NB NO to Chi:

Jan 4
Feb 4
Mar 5 (Shrove Tuesday Mar 4)
Apr 5 (Easter Sunday Apr 20)
May 4
Jun 3
Jul 3
Aug 5
Sep 4
Oct 4
Nov 5
Dec 4

It also appears that the fares have come WAY DOWN; For a Thursday June 26 departure, a Roomette is now only $396 - that is down from $900 a year ago.

If I'm to do what I planned last year, i.e. fly down, Pullman back, I would only consider a fully refundable airline ticket (my preference for United is simply that I don't fly all that much nowadays, they seem to go where I want to go, and I know my way around ORD Terminal 1 as well as their website. Also they had the MILW's Travel Desk when I was there - even if most of my flights on railroad business seemed to be on Northwest) which we all know cost heap big wampum more than the use it or lose it varietal. Also, should the trip be cancelled at the last minute, I'd appreciate some kind of indemnification from PRJ, i.e. a refund of the applicable exchange fee ($200 seems to be the going rate) as well as a credit for the CANX'd trip to my American Express within 24 hours, and not just for some future trip (I think we all know how agreeable he would be to that).

I really think that in view of my experience last year, such is reasonable - and if Ed or one of his Lieutenants reviews this site, I hope they would agree.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Pullman Rail is presently airing 15 second 'spots' on WBBM 780/105.9 albeit during 'off-hours'.

PRJ's website continues to be a disaster area; in fact I got a malware warning from Norton with their recommendation to 'vamanos', which I did.

But before Mr. Norton's warning I had a chance to review the CANX policy, which calls for 60 days notice in writing (e-mail and FAX OK) of such for a full refund. 60-45 days partial, under 45 days? 'sorry Charlie'.

Also noted was 'to allow our passengers more time at our destinations, we have changed our schedules'. To what, I know not.

New York remains a 'coming soon'.

All told, I wish this outfit 'good luck'; I think it is needed.

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert,
Your posting prompted me to take a look at the PRJ website. I got no malware warning and, although I'm not registered, I was able to fully move around the site.

One question though: under the heading "schedule" the CONO schedule pops up. Are we to believe that PRJ runs daily? And do they have enough equipment to do that?
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Black--

It appears that you did not go as far to find out what days they actually intend to operate (I avoid the use of the word 'Will'). I tried to determine just that without success.

But at this time, PRJ's rates are almost at parity with Amtrak's: for example they note Roomettes from $396. Going out a month, Amtrak today offered a Roomette CHI-NOL Mar 16 for $368.

It sure seems that if a supposed 'luxotrain' is being priced essentially same as Amtrak (Cheaper than Amtrak if you can live with an Upper @ $240), they are getting a bit 'desperate'. I think it best to consider anything shelled out to them as 'Vegas $$$'; in short, be ready to ride Amtrak in their place, or if 'no room at the Inn' to fly - and that would be at air piracy rates.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Worked just fine for me with the dates shown. Prices are still 'low' ($780 for BR) for most trips although a June date was $1950). Shows 4 scheduled each way in March, 6 in April, 2 in May, 3 in June. Amtrak was $359-$489 for a BR.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The site is now working for me.

This one simply 'sounds too good to be true', so it probably is.

Entering NB June 12, PRJ is offering a Roomette for $198, by comparison Amtrak wants $296 for same.

But all told, whatever happened to their $1000 p/p price point; somebody's desperate.

This far out, United wants $399 for a morning flight down on a SkyWest Bombardier (someone else is likely cheaper, but that is the only airline website I know my way around), so all told, $700 instead of the $1300 I was ready to put on the table last Summer.

But I could still foresee being 'out' the $198, 'no room at the Inn' last minute on the City, and having simply to fly home at air piracy rates.

In short, an airfan joyride.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right---they are desperate. You never want to bite the hand that feeds you! Undercutting Amtrak is probably the worst idea you could come up with at this point. There's more, but I better keep my lips sealed.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
At this time, I'm inclined to think of the noted $198 rate as an OPTION (long 'Call') to ride at that rate if they are still in business four months from now.

Mr. Mayo, do you think Ladbrokes is taking bets that PRJ will or won't be around four months from now? That would be the most immediate way at hand to 'hedge'.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
The railfan circuit is buzzing over the sale of Iowa Pacific (operator of Pullman Rail Journeys as well as some successful short line railroads). While many were saying the end is near, Mr. Ellis spoke on the record with Fred Frailey of Trains magazine in his blog.

So, is the sun setting or rising on Iowa Pacific and its Pullman Rail Journeys adventure that will surely be one for business schools case studies if it ever turns a profit (or even breaks even)?

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Of interest, no major newssource, as distinct from recognized - the category into which I place the Frailey blog and one S&NC on-line Upstate NY newspaper, has to date reported this story of the Zell majority acquisition of IPH.

That paper, the Glens Falls Post Star, was most concerned that S&NC is reportedly 'not to speedy' paying their vendors.

Possibly related (redacted) material:

STB filing

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
This gives you a better idea of what Mr. Ellis is about. It's a link to his presentation at the Southwesern Rail Conference. Quite interesting (and not particularly encouraging for freight rail investors). It is clear he truly believes there is a market for non high speed, privately operated, intercity passenger rail beyond Amtrak's national network. It does several minutes to download the video, be patient.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Either I had been previously unaware, or this is a new addition to their site, but Pullman Rail now has an FAQ page, and which gives further information regarding their service:

http://www.travelpullman.com/explore/faq.html

At this time, even for registered users, the 'book' page appears disabled. Evidently to book, you must phone them as it appears that 'browsers' are not really welcome.

Oh well, I hope Ellis and his 'High Command' are enjoying their joyrides, and Sam could well get one in himself, but I doubt if this extravaganza is long for this world.

But allow me note that I DO believe that PRJ will 'go out' just as did the Santa Fe on A-Day Eve with nothing downgraded.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to get to the spot in making a reservation where it asked for my billing information. Plenty of "browsing" seems to be allowed.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Not surprised; an awful lot of sites can no longer support IE8 which is the highest XP can support.

Oh well, that's why I have now ordered a new Inspirion desktop from Dell that will have 8.1 and presumably supports the latest IE.

I can't believe how inexpensive these things have become.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page