RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hi! New and looking for advice! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hi! New and looking for advice!
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm Karen and am planning, next Summer, to travel from New York to San Francisco, up to Vancouver and back to Toronto.

I'm really looking for some advice on these trips? I'll be travelling with a just 5Yo boy and 3YO girl.

I have a plan (I'd say 2/3s sorted) but would love to talk to people who are used to proper long haul travel! (I'm from the UK and while we've travelled extensively by train in the UK and Europe... it's not really the same order of magnitude!!)

I should add that my son is train obsessed so long periods (2-3 days) on trains isn't that big a deal for us and I'll always ensure I have a private sleeper for security.

Would love to talk to anyone who's done this / considered it!

Karen

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to this forum. We all will be happy to help, offer advice, and in general enjoy the trip along with you.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forum.

The best advice would be to build lag time at your connecting points (ie: overnight layovers) if you are able to.

Sometimes things don't go as planned and your train will arrive hours late. It's usually not a good idea to have a connection to another train scheduled on the same day and nothing ruins the best part of train travel if you must always be worried about making your connection.

There will be other suggestions to make (and people here happy to make them) as your trip draws nearer and you begin to think about the specifics.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since your children are 3 and 5 years old, it would be a good idea to bring along some things for them to do when they get bored looking out the window: coloring books, crayons, DVD player and suitable disks, etc.

I echo David's suggestion to build in layover time. Terminal stations like Chicago and Emeryville and enroute stations such as Glenwood Springs, Colorado, on the route of the California Zephyr are excellent for this. Good way to catch up on sleep, too; not everyone gets sufficient rest even in a sleeping car.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is one segment you should really spend in the sightseer lounge, it is the climb up the Rockies from Denver. But in the summer it fills up quickly, so it is best to get seats well before the train leaves Denver. You just do not see the full panorama from a bedroom window. The kids will enjoy seeing the tracks wind back and forth up the Front Range, and the 28 tunnels afterwards.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a great itinerary. As the time gets closer, we can give you specific advice. As David says above, you may want to schedule in an overnight layover somewhere -- a good place to do that would be the S.F. Bay area. The California Zephyr does not go into downtown San Franciso, but stops across the Bay in Emeryville. You could connect to the N-bound Coast Starlight either there or in Sacramento, but the Starlight passes through these areas rather late at night, and after already spending 3 nights on the train, you may want a break at that point. If you spent the night in the Bay area, you could do some sightseeing the following day after you arrive, and be ready to catch the late-evening N-bound Starlight then.

Seattle would be another good place to make the overnight layover. You would then take a N-bound Cascade train to Vancouver the next day and catch VIA Rail Canada's Canadian across the country to Toronto. The Canadian now leaves Vancouver later in the evening than it used to.

I believe 99.9% of the people on this forum will agree that you should DEFINITELY travel in sleeper accomodations on all overnight trains!!!!!

As I said, we can give you more advice later.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

There are those on this forum who will warn you that if you do not travel in sleeper you do not deserve to live.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, welcome to our forum. Possibly you have noted there are several other Subjects here as well (Mr. Mayo, although presently residing in California, is a British Subject).

While I'm hardly about to say one is not fit to live, my thought is don't even THINK about this rail journey unless you are prepared to do so in Sleeper. It is expensive, but the only way.

While traveling in Coach, one will find "colorful characters" usually carrying all their belongings in a backpack and often look like they've "been on the road". They are of course harmless, and maybe there is a journalist or two that want to meet those folk "up close and personal" (author Paul Theroux comes to mind), but I don't. I want my privacy when I travel by rail (which is really no longer any hobby of mine), and is a reason I enjoy auto travel. With auto travel, I like that feeling of "for I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" expressed in William Ernest Henley's "Invictus".

Coach is in my opinion, nowhere a Middle Class family wants to be.

If Sleeper booked in advance (forget on train "upgrades") is simply not in the cards, do like any of my neighbors in my admittedly affluent Chicago suburb do for vacations - fly and learn why the term "flyover country" is prevalent beyond our election cycles.

Yes, I realize the flight experience over here on any domestic (what you call internal) air carrier is down there with your RyanAir or EasyJet, at least you have the comforting knowledge that it is "no fun, but in six hours or so, over and done".

Finally, even if you choose to make your rail journey by Sleeper, still be prepared for an adventure and expect the unexpected. Those whose travel motto is "the best surprise is no surprise" should avoid Long Distance rail travel (for myself, a one night journey once or twice a year is enough). But all told, I do consider my Amtrak journeys have "more positives than negatives".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's a lot of travelling with kids so young. I was nervous just taking my 4yo and his 4yo cousin for a 2 hour joyride a few months ago. Though coach is nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be, it's not something I would do with young kids, so I'm glad you're going for the sleeper. Are you getting the Family room? If it's just the three of you then a Deluxe would probably work, though an Economy - even with little kids - would be very tight.

Definitely agree with the layovers. Much as I love travelling by train, and have even done circular east-west-east coast trips before, I doubt I would do it again as it is tiring. I would suggest cutting back to NY-San Francisco with a stop in Chicago (at least one very kid-friendly museum there but I forget the name - Mr. Norman?) and maybe in Glenwood Springs as Henry says. The latter has an open air hot springs pool and there are other things around town to occupy the kids.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
There are those on this forum who will warn you that if you do not travel in sleeper you do not deserve to live.

Especially when you have kids in tow! [Big Grin] Best for their sakes, and everyone eles's, a private room is a must!
I believe the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is what was referred to; all sorts of things children would like.
And i'd stop over in San Francisco instead of Sacramento. The kids might love the cable cars and the car barn. You might also take a tour of the Redwood Forest, just across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou all for your comments. Very helpful.

This one made me laugh!!

quote:

I have to admit to falling into this catagory myself!!

So, here's our plan:
NY - Washington (Route 2151, Acela Express)
Wash - Chicago (Route 49, Capitol Ltd)
Chicago - San Fran (Route 5 Californi Zephyr)
(I would like a 'layover' somewhere here. Is Glenwood SPrings a good place? I also looked at Granby)
San Fran - Portland (Coast Stalight)
(I've always wanted to visit Portland.. My first house overlooked a tower called 'Portland' and both my children were born in a hospital called 'Portland' too...)
Portland - Vancouver (AMtrak Cascades)
Vancouver - Toronto (The Canadian)
(Again, I'd like to fit in some stops in Canada, so any advice on where would be appreciated!)

The plan is to spend several days at each 'destination', primarily to actually experience the various cities, but agree - it would be good to remove the stress of a train being late!

We've done several 'long distant' journeys before. We did Lands End to John O'Groats by train last summer, and we've taken the EuroStar to Europe, but I am well aware that the mileage I'm considering here is a different magnitude!

I'm confident that the children will love it, and I'm confident of travelling with them alone (but not in coach!!)

Thanks again for all advice.

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Am very open to advice, by the way.

I have never actually BEEN on a train in the US.

I could always fly back from SF... (SF is non negotiable as it is where I went for my honeymoon, and I remember it as such a wonderful place, so definitely want to take the kids there)

I could leave Canada for another year?

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Kacy, that sounds like a workable plan.

Couple of observations: First, American railroad usage is to refer to "trains," not "routes," when identifying trains. I.e., Train 5, the California Zephyr, not Route 5. Second, the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago is Train 29, not Train 49.

Glenwood Springs is the layover you want, not Granby. Granby is not much of a town at all, although Amtrak describes it as "the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park." It hasn't even got a staffed station, just a small shelter for passengers.

Kacy, if you will privately send me your email address I will send you links to several articles I have written about the trains you propose to take.

Yes, you could fly back from San Francisco. But circumnavigating North America by train via Chicago, SF, Vancouver and Toronto is an experience not to be missed. My wife and I did it a few years ago.

By the way, my remark about not being fit to live was a joke, an affectionate dig at our Mr. Norman, who has strong views on the subject of sleepers vs. coaches as well as a huge and valuable breadth of knowledge about the railroad business, having been in it for many years.

In my opinion the best place for a stopover on the Canadian is Jasper, Alta. It's a lovely mountain town, with hotels less than a block from the station, and rental cars are available at the station. You also might want to spend a day or two in Vancouver before taking the Canadian. Your kids will love buzzing around Vancouver Harbor in the little bug-shaped ferries, and there is a splendid science museum on the harbor.

KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Thanks Henry. That is great advice, especially about the layovers.

Much appreciated!

Sorry - that was my attempt at humour!! I think it's safe to say that my requirement for a sleeper is as much to do with being able to remove my children from public view as it is about comfort!!

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenwood Springs is a very good layover choice. It has checked baggage (handled by Amtrak in the baggage car so you don't have to carry it) while Granby does not. Budget and Enterprise Car Rental will pick you up and drop you at Amtrak. There are good lodging options including the Hotel Colorado across from the depot.

The town is scenic with colorful mountain views and riverside walking and biking trails along the Colorado River and Roaring Fork. The kids might enjoy the Hot Springs and water slides. There is a scenic chairlift to ride up to the top of a mountain.

If you want to mingle with the rich and famous, Aspen is an easy scenic 40 mile drive up the Roaring Fork, and if you are an adventurous driver, there is the beautiful winding narrow road up to 12,000 ft Independence Pass, one of the highest in the US.

Granby is more remote and there is not much to the town. You could rent a car and drive to Rocky Mountain National Park from there.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kacy -- I agree about Glenwood being a good place to stop over on your journey -- it really is a beautiful town, is right on the Colorado River, and the hot springs are right across the river from the AMTRAK station. As stated above, Granby is not much of a town.

The Canadian is a wonderful train too -- it has many more "amenities" than any AMTRAK train, although I personally prefer the AMTRAK bedrooms (rooms for 2 adults or 1 adult + 2 young kids) over the VIA Rail Canada ones. You could spend the whole day in one of the dome cars on the Canadian and get great views of the Canadian Rockies, as well as the Prairielands of central Canada, and the remote lake-covered forested hills of Ontario.

Concerning museums in Chicago, the Science & Industry Museum is a good place to take the kids, but it is quite a ways from Union Station -- I don't know how much the taxi fare would be. When I lay over in Chicago, I usually visit the Field Museum of Natural History, which is quite a bit closer to Union Station, and an easy 7- or 8-minute taxi ride. The kids would enjoy that too, I believe -- the large dinosuar named "Sue" in the main hall is always a hit with the young 'uns!! The kids may also enjoy seeing the Shedd Aquarium, which is also close to Union Station, or you may even want to ride the elevator to the top of the Sears Tower (what's that called now? Willis Tower or something?), which is only a block from Union Station.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
There are good lodging options including the Hotel Colorado across from the depot.

Mr. Twin Star, please allow me to perfect your posting.

The hotel immediately opposite the train station is The Hotel Denver, vice Hotel Colorado. Hotel Denver is an attractively decorated independent property at which, I've never stayed but have had a Lunch in their restaurant. Cross the street, and you are at the station.

While for many here who eat sleep and drink trains, it's where they want to be. But possibly with this ambitious journey you have in mind (thankfully you are only considering Sleeper), to get away from the trains will be a welcome respite. In this case, the Hotel Colorado - obviously the best known hotel in town - and the priciest - is where you would want to be.

disclaimer: during the 25 or so nights I travel during a year, I largely stick to major brand chains (the two exceptions this year; Amtrak Auto Train for one, and a hotel in Ann Arbor the other) - "the best surprise is no surprise".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
RRRich - Thankyou for your comments. My daughter is animal mad, so I think the natural history museum would be a better bet for us anyway. It is my son who is the train nut, so I think it's only fair that I indulge Imogen a little on the layovers!! I'm also quite keen to do the standard 'tourist' stuff so the Sears tower would be of interest... We just don't have the sort of buildings America has!!

Gilbert - thankyou. Again, for the sake of my sanity and that of my daughter, some time AWAY from trains is going to be much appreciated!! Glenwood Springs looks perfect for a little respite!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The Hotel Colorado is some one mile to the West of Glenwood Springs. It is visible from the Zephyr, but you would have to know where to look. In short, it is near, but not "on top of" the tracks.

But if, as Mr. Twin Star notes, you want to have a Rocky Mountain layover well away from the trains (and the prevalent means of getting in and out of town is a Gulfstream) , hire (rent in Americanese) an auto and drive "up the river" to Aspen. I haven't been there since 1963 or back when Mom and Dad called the shots. Back then, you could "smell the $$$$", hard to imagine what it is today. To the folk there, "Great Recession, what recession"?

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kacy, three tidbits of advice:

1. Listen to Henry and Gil.

2. Another possible layover would be Salt Lake City, Utah. You could visit the Salt Lake (Mormon) Tabernacle there; definitely something you won't find in England. Also nearby Park City, if you're into skiing or film.

3. Listen to Henry and Gil.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen, we did a rail journey with our two kids (9 & 11) that took 3 weeks. Of the first 7 nights, we spent 6 on the train and survived well. Advanced planning in the key and it's good you all have rail experience. The stops you have in DC and Chicago have nearby attractions that can keep you busy if you want to venture out a bit. The Old Post Office Museum is right next to Union Station in DC and the Navy Pier in Chicago is just a short bus ride away.

Plan for delays on any long distance train so you don't end up on a bus between trains. Bring extra clothes in case you get delayed as well. We ended up going 5 nights between laundromats at one point which was a day longer than we had planned.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

GBN is right: The Hotel Denver is the place to stay in Glenwood Springs. You get free passes to the pool for one day (or did when I stayed there earlier this year).

One thing not to miss is the big amusement park at the top of the mountain overlooking Glenwood Springs. You get there in a cable car with a spectacular view of everything for miles around. The cable car station is reachable by hourly bus from the main street--just ask the hotel desk clerk where to find it.

Juicy Lucy's Steak House is the best restaurant in Glenwood Springs, but the Hotel Denver restaurant is excellent also, and geared well to children.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will concur with the advice offered by our wise and experienced gurus GBN and Henry Kisor -

Glenwood Springs is the wiser stopover point in Colorado.

Jasper is Glenwood's Canadian equivalent. Recognize that by stopping in Jasper you are looking at a two or three night stopover minimum as the Canadian runs only 2 or 3 days a week depending on the time of year.

Also good that you plan to do the Canadian LAST on your itinerary. In terms of how you will be catered to, not even Amtrak's best service can match what you will experience on the Canadian.

One suggestion which has not come up yet - should you want something a little different in the Northwest, you may want to consider the Pacific Coach bus from Vancouver to Victoria, BC. The bus operates to/from the same station in Vancouver as Amtrak and VIA and adds the bonus of a short 90-minute hop on the British Columbia Ferries each way going to/from Vancouver Island. Victoria is a charming small city which might interest you and your children for a couple of nights.... and the ferry ride was an unexpected bonus when my wife and I visited Victoria 6-8 years ago.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Thankyou all for your brilliant advice.

Henry - I have made contact with the travel advisors you recommended, who will be perfect to make sure my plans are OK, especially with the children.

NotElvis - I realise that The Canadian only runs 3 times per week, but was planning long layovers anyway as, given we are coming from the UK, it would be lovely to actually experience the different towns and cities, so this is good with us.

I think, with the help of Henry's blog (which is just brilliant!) we now have an itinerary, so I will be able to start badgering you all on things to do in each layover!

I thought I was being rather precious looking so early, but it appears that booking this far in advance was the sensible option. So again, thankyou.

Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jasper is the place for a stopover on the Canadian's route. Take the Icefields Parkway tour bus operated by Brewster from Jasper to Banff. You will see such spectacular scenery that you will be glad you're not distracted by driving. Stops include at least one beautiful waterfall and then at another stop you will ride a monster vehicle atop a glacier, then get out and walk on it!
Afterwards, you and the kids will have fun comparing the American Rockies to the Canadian ones.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Excellent, thankyou Jerome!

So, our itinerary is:

New York
Washington
Chicago
Glenwood springs
San Francisco
Portland
Vancouver
Jasper
Toronto (Niagara Falls)

Just one thing: I can't drive on the wrong side of the road, so hiring a car isn't a great option. I know that isn't ideal in America, but I don't think I would be comfortable (read: Safe) doing that.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Kacy -- another Field Museum note: if your daughter likes animals, most of the north (?) side of the first floor of the Field Museum is animal exhibits -- they have quite a few excellent "dioramas" showing all kinds of animals from all over the world in their natural settings -- that part of the museum, frankly, is one of my favorite parts of it!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
GBN is right: The Hotel Denver is the place to stay in Glenwood Springs.

I doubt if there is a human being alive that does not appreciate magnanimous comments directed at them; I'm no exception.

Although in the past I have seen Hotel Colorado courtesy vans at the Glenwood Spg station, again I note their property is well to the West of town. If driving on the wrong side of the road is an issue (and I'm not saying it shouldn't be, even if doing so myself in the UK, Jamaica, USVI, and Thailand was not), this means any ideas of going to Aspen are out of the question (unless, like one member here who seems to be AWOL of late, you are willing to ride about on a bus). Therefore if the idea of being in town and checking out the steak house Mr. Kisor notes, without being dependent on taxicabs or hotel courtesy vans, then I think The Hotel Denver is where you would want to be.

Finally, one possible negative at the Hotel Colorado; their management company also manages this place which even over two years later is the worst hotel at which I have stayed. It was so bad I almost aborted the trip, which of course would have proven counterproductive.

KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
I think Hotel Denver would be great.

However, Henry has kindly put me in touch with a rail holiday organiser who I hope will be able to direct me to the most suitable hotels.

I feel (even moreso as I am travelling with my young children a long way from 'home') that safety must be paramount and, therefore, I feel hiring a car is not something I should contemplate. The idea of driving on the 'other' side of the road (apologies: I appreciate to you, it's not 'wrong'!!!) fills me with dread (and again, I appreciate how odd that must be coming from someone who is happy to travel, over the course of more than a month, around an entire continent with two little kids [Smile] )

Kacy x

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only place I would see as a minor inconvenience in not having a car is Glenwood Springs; however, even there, some of the tourist attractions understand that and will happily pick you up and drop you off. And it's not *that* big of a town.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Bus transportation up to Aspen is only $10 (kids are free or $1) and runs every half hour.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by KacyB:
I think Hotel Denver would be great.

However, Henry has kindly put me in touch with a rail holiday organiser who I hope will be able to direct me to the most suitable hotels.

I feel (even moreso as I am travelling with my young children a long way from 'home') that safety must be paramount and, therefore, I feel hiring a car is not something I should contemplate. The idea of driving on the 'other' side of the road (apologies: I appreciate to you, it's not 'wrong'!!!) fills me with dread (and again, I appreciate how odd that must be coming from someone who is happy to travel, over the course of more than a month, around an entire continent with two little kids [Smile] )

Kacy x

I am on the board of an American (British) Brass Band and some years ago we had a guest soloist/tuba clinician from the UK in for a week. We were prepared to provide a rental auto for the week of his stay but he was understandibly uncomfortable driving on the 'wrong' side. Instead, the board members each took a day and acted as a driver for our guest.
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KacyB:
I'll be travelling with a just 5Yo boy and 3YO girl.

I don't want to put a damper on your excitement, Karen. But unless you absolutely need to take this trip during the next year, I'd suggest waiting a few years more.

I was barely six months old when I took my first overnight train journey from America's East Coast to the Midwest. It was a trip that my family would ultimately repeat -- at least twice each year -- until I hit my middle teens.

The problem? I remember nothing about the trips I took prior to age seven or so -- despite being a train fanatic like your son, and possibly even more so. The trips I remember clearly didn't occur until after the age of nine or ten.

My point: A first-time, long distance rail trip across the U.S. happens once in a lifetime. A few years from now, your three year-old will remember nothing of your trip, and your five year-old probably won't remember much more.

That's why I suggest waiting until they're old enough to more fully appreciate -- and retain -- what they're seeing and experiencing.

They'll also have more stamina and patience. After all, as I know many members of this forum would agree, extensive long distance rail travel across the U.S. -- even in a sleeper -- can be exhausting and often monotonous for many hours on end.

By waiting until they're a few years older, your kids will have a far better chance of remembering their epic rail adventure forever, rather than as a vague, nearly forgotten blur.

-----------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dilly is probably correct that the kids will not remember much when they are older. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy it now and then return when they will have more lasting memories. I'm convinced that some of my many early train trips (prior to age 5) did have some unexplained effect on my continuing appreciation of all things related to travel by train, and travel in general.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

[QUOTE]

I am on the board of an American (British) Brass Band

Uh-oh, here we go, way off-topic. One of my favorite British films:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115744/

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Only a thought:
I perhaps would be remiss if I didn't mention the Rocky Mountaineer, which is a privately - owned train that travels the VIA Canadian's original CP route from Vancouver to Banff. It's route is considered more spectacular than the Canadian's current route. It includes spiral tunnels, Kicking Horse Pass, and the Stoney Creek Bridge. Bears and other animals are usually seen along the tracks, and the on board staff will point them out. It only travels in daylight, so passengers are put up in a hotel in the town of Kamloops overnight. There are three classes of service that might suit your budget. You could take it to Banff, ride the Brewster tour bus to Jasper, then take the Canadian from Jasper to Toronto.
Or you might opt for their shorter route from Vancouver to the ski town of Whistler and return the same day. This train also offers great scenery and different levels of service.
Again, just thought i'd put it out there!

I'e included a link below:
http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_US/

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't so difficult if you remember that the driver always stays to the center of the road. I often have a moment of hesitation and confusion when I'm trying to pull out from a stop sign, but I just remember to keep myself (the driver) near the center of the road.

Portland, Vancouver and Seattle are good places to visit with kids. All 3 cities have good public transportation systems and there are plenty of hotels and activities near the Amtrak stations in each city.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
I did look at the Rocky Mountaineer. I am not sure why I decided to take The Canadian - I will look through my notes!

Dilly - I appreciate your comments very much. I agree there are certain downsides to taking the trip while they are so young, but IMO, there are some upsides too...

Firstly (and very much most importantly to me).. YOu just never know what the future holds. My mother got cancer when I was 6YO. As it turns out, she is very much alive and well now (and I'm 40!!!) But, I was brought up (and still have) a 'don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today' attitude. And, yes, there is a chance the children will have sketchy memories of it, but I think children 'learn' a lot more than they can recall. I hope I am teaching them to dream they can do stuff, whatever it is they want.. however oddball it might appear.

My son has a form of autism and I cannot begin to describe the amount of times I hear 'You can't do that / He can't do that'. If there is one thing I want to instill in both him and his sister is that, if they want to - as long as it's legal and not hurting anyone else - then yes... they bloody well can!

Thirdly, my children are at an age where they are over the toddler tantrums, they are toilet trained and they can pretty much eat what's on offer without too much to do... but they haven't reached the age of actually expressing too much of an opinion, in that... what I say goes. If I say: We're going to the aquarium in Vancouver, then that's what we will do. And no one is worried that they are going to be away from home for 6 weeks, and they are going to miss XYZ parties or ABC doesn't think it's a cool holiday (although, to be fair, I can't see how anyone couldn't see that this particular holiday is extremely cool!!)

ANd, you know, they'll have the photos and momentos. OK, these may be forced memories I grant you... but they will know that they did it. And they can do it again if they want to. Or they can do something completely different. But they CAN do it :-)

KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
I should add: My son's autism means he has an amazing fascination with trains.

For his 4 birthday, he refused a party but asked to take the Sleeper to Fort William to take the Jacobite Express (which we did and the lovely train driver let him stand in the cab!!)

For charity last year, we did Lands End to John O'Groats by train (If any of you are on Facebook, you can check out our page 'Point to point toddle'). So many people told me I couldn't do it with the kids, but we did... and we had the BEST time.

He's so exicted at the mere idea of seeing 'your' trains. I have a feeling that he'll have memories he'll never forget!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Kacy, you and your Son are not alone. I'd dare say that many a trainspotter/rail enthusiast/railfan/foamer has a measurement on the Asperger scale.

Here is an organization that gets my annual support;

http://www.autismspeaks.org

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page