RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Northeast Regional trains: how late when late?

Author Topic: Northeast Regional trains: how late when late?
dixonm
Member # 55034

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for dixonm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how to find an Amtrak train's on-time percentage on Amtrak's website, but that doesn't tell me how late the trains are, usually, when they're late.

I'm thinking of going to New York for a cruise, travelling up from Washington, D.C. the same day (since motel prices in NYC are so high), but I'm not sure whether it would be safe to assume that, if late, the train is likely to be no more than two hours late. What do you think?

Posts: 7 | From: Mannington, WV | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr/s. Dixon, welcome to our forum.

To get a "feel" for Northeast Regional train performance, go to Train Status at Amtrak's website, and enter a selection of trains.

Absent some kind of service disruption, Northeast Regionals have a way of being "more or less" on time. Their performance is not as good as the premium priced Acela Express, but I think it safe to say, again absent a service disruption like a power or signal outage, within 30 minutes of schedule.

If your cruise sails from the docks at 54th St during the late afternoon, in virtual likelihood you will be safe if you are on an early, say 8A, Regional. If your sailing is, say, noon or if it is from Brooklyn, then I think it best to spring the $450 or so for a hotel room in Manhattan.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get a hotel for less than $450 in Manhattan, maybe $200 (plus taxes), although prices vary seasonally. When are you going, and where are you going from? Me and others here can perhaps give you a few hotel suggestions depending on where you're sailing from.

Or, if you want to do it same day, I'd say, go very early in the morning--and don't do it if your ship is sailing before 4 or 5 in the afternoon. The NE trains from DC on north to NYC are usually close to on time, maybe half an hour late . . . BUT things happen. I was once 5 hours late because a vagrant was killed on the tracks near Trenton and there were coroners etc. on the tracks delaying things. All travel is risky, and when you're taking a cruise, you don't want to monkey around.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I wholly concur with Ms. Sojourner that there is a hotel room on the Isle of Manhattan - even Midtown - with a rate of less than $450/ni. But if you want "the best surprise is no surprise" - the trademark of the major brands, that is a "working number".

That rate at a major could also be beat by means of either the auction or consolidator sites such as Priceline, Hotwire, and Kayak. But use of such sort of obviates my personal "best surprise is no surprise" guideline. Actually, I can think that Midtown Manhattan would be a place worthy of the auction/consolidator sites, especially since in all likelihood, you'd be using a taxicab both from Penn Station to hotel and next morning from hotel to the docks. As I understand with those sites (I've never used one; I just go to the particular hotel brand's website at which I plan to stay and book), the user will set the parameters. If that be the case, just set "four star between 2nd and 8th Aves, 34th and 59th Sts". For ready reference, Penn Station is 7th Ave & 33rd St; the docks are 12th Ave & 54th St.

Then, those here who open topics with titles such as "Where can I find an inexpensive hotel in...." may have some constructive thoughts to share.

Related:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/6995.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with those who suggest not risking some mishap that would prevent Amtrak same day arrival as your cruise.

My suggestion - a late afternoon train from Washington and then a hotel in Newark, NJ. A random friday in February showed rates on hotel.com of around $120 for Hilton Doubletree, Marriott's Springhill Suites and Courtyard. They're near the airport and less than 2 miles to Penn station Newark.

On cruise day you can either take a cab directly to the ship or NJT/PATH for a few hours in the city before going to the port.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Palmland in general. You should check motel/hotel locations in relation to their proximity to New Jersey Transit stops where you can get a reasonable morning train into Manhattan. Quite a few years back when my employer had me working in Manhattan, in the World Trade Center building by the way, their policy was to put you up in Newark and give you NJT tickets, in my case, PATH, as that got me out right in the building. On an occasoin where the hotel had a special event and gave me a, you can continue to stay, but not at the corporate rate, I moved out to a motel in easy walking distance of one of the further out NJT stations and changed to PATH at Newark. Since it has been some 20 plus years, two jub changes and four projects since, I do not recall now either the town or the motel name.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Penn Station is between 31st and 33rd.

BTW, I would be careful where you stay if you stay in Newark. There are some dicey neighborhoods there; you want to check trip advisor and stay in a recommended hotel.

Personally, if I were staying overnight, I would stay in Manhattan if that is where the boat is leaving from. I'd get there early the day before and spend the day there enjoying myself. You might want to explore the Highline, for instance, or if the weather is bad, the Metropolitan Museum of Art. (Newark has a fine art museum too, btw.)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixonm
Member # 55034

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixonm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all very much for your help! I am thinking of taking a five-day cruise on the Carnival Glory to Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John, New Brunswick, specifically, the one that leaves on Labor Day and returns the following Saturday. I would most likely be leaving from Amtrak's BWI station and returning to Union Station in Washington. I live in West Virginia.

I hadn't thought of trying to stay in New Jersey, but I'll certainly look into that.

Posts: 7 | From: Mannington, WV | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixonm
Member # 55034

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixonm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And apparently the ship does leave from Manhattan, and boarding is from 1 to 3 p.m.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page